PDA

View Full Version : Barron Out at Team Penske

pchall
05-03-03, 01:16 PM
Despite running the fastest in practice, Barron gets left high and dry this May by everybody's favorite Captain of Industry:

Indy Star (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/8/040200-8078-037.html)

DaveL
05-03-03, 02:04 PM
This should suprise exactly noone who knows how Pimpski does things.

He has never, ever run a third car at Indy unless he planned on doing so months ahead of time. And he has never put a driver in a backup once his primary two have qualified. Now before anyone brings up 1987, Unser got in Ongias' backup. It was not a case of Unser getting one of Sullivan or Mears' backups. Roger had three entries that year from the get go.

Ziggy
05-03-03, 03:04 PM
This is too rich. Has there ever been a driver more star crossed than Alex Barron? First He gets into the factory backed Toyota powered cars with All American Racers. This turns out to be a major dud (and who would have thought it)? Does fill in spots with Penske in an unloved car, and fades into the Inferior Racing League. Runs with those wankers in a underbudget operation, and still wins a race. Gets a car from Pimski to fill in for an injured driver. Jobs description is to figure out the G-Force. Alex has it running good, faster than all the rest (tow not mentioned)

Now He is out of a ride? Funny thing about all this, Pimski has 6 of each cars in the shop. That's right racefans, 6 G-Force and 6 Dallarah's.

Couldn't possibly run another car

Earth to Alex. Running anything for anyone else would be a step in the right direction. Maybe change your name to Alexandre Barroune

There's always next year!

Ziggy

Hot Rod Otis
05-03-03, 03:44 PM
Ya gotta wonder what this guy has to do to get a break. He got yanked @ AAR and replaced by of all people....Vincenzo Sospiri.:rolleyes: He came THIS close to winning 2 C^RT races with Dale Coyne, the ONLY time in Coyne's "illustrious" stints as an owner that EVER happened. Won an IRL race with a low buck outfit, and IIRC, @ Indy last year, he could have snuck in and won on a fuel strategy run, had Scheckter not crashed. He deserves much better than this.

Turn7
05-04-03, 12:31 PM
This is my opinion and not based on fact.

Marlboro probably has an exclusivity clause in the sponsorship agreement with Penske which would prevent him from running a car with a sponsor name other than Marlboro.

Additionally he is probably limited to two cars due to tobacco legislation. If he added another car then Marlboro would be increasing its sponsorship and I think that is not allowed.

Therefore, Penske is limited to two cars.

Napoleon
05-04-03, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Marlboro probably has an exclusivity clause in the sponsorship agreement with Penske which would prevent him from running a car with a sponsor name other than Marlboro.

If they do now, they didn't about ten to twelve years ago when Pimp$ki ran Tracey in a third car with Mobil colors.

Railbird
05-04-03, 04:27 PM
Penske has run three cars several times with and without Marlboro colors. None on short notice that I can think of though.

Big Al was a last minute sub for Ongias in '87.

I don't imagine Marlboro is throwing down the bucks like they used to, hence the combined Team Penske/Marlboro sidepods.

Joe in LA
05-04-03, 09:35 PM
This is awful. I certainly hope someone with a T or an H pick him up. When he ran for AAR, I spoke to their test team manager. He said Barron was quick--at least quicker than Jones--from the moment he strapped in. He is obviously a serious talent. Where are all the guys who claim they want to develop American talent? AJ should put him in IV's car at least for the sake of comparison.

pchall
05-04-03, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Joe in LA
AJ should put [Barron] in IV's car at least for the sake of comparison.

At least we'd get a clear idea if IV is that bad or if AJ is getting senile and losing all his set up knowledge...

BlueStang
05-05-03, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by pchall
At least we'd get a clear idea if IV is that bad or if AJ is getting senile and losing all his set up knowledge...

Shiggy has been fast so far at Indy, so it must be the former.

Blue