PDA

View Full Version : Junior to Leave DEI

TKGAngel
05-09-07, 07:38 PM
That rumbling you hear is the sound of Dale Sr. turning over in his grave.

A highly placed source within DEI as well as additional sources familiar with the situation told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday afternoon that both Junior and teammate Martin Truex Jr. will announce Thursday morning that they are leaving the DEI camp at the end of this season and will drive for Earnhardt's heretofore Busch Series operation, JR Motorsports.

Sirius Radio also reported late Wednesday afternoon that the Earnhardt/Truex split with DEI was a done deal and that the new Cup team entry will field Chevrolet chassis built by Hendrick Motorsports and will use Hendrick engines as well.

Sources tell Yahoo! Sports that Earnhardt Jr.'s primary sponsor, Budweiser, will follow Junior to JR Motorsports.

Linky (http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylt=AnoRdL0JZRYwySC2JbTi8BQ5nYcB?slug=jb-juniorleaves050907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

extramundane
05-09-07, 08:05 PM
Dale Jr to,,, Forsythe,,,,

pchall
05-09-07, 08:34 PM
Dale, Jr. driving for his own team. His true talent level will rapidly become apparent and he will never win again.

You heard it here first. :laugh:

opinionated ow
05-09-07, 08:40 PM
Did he not say on Windtunnel the other night that he was staying with DEI and wouldn't leave it?

Methanolandbrats
05-09-07, 10:12 PM
Dale, Jr. driving for his own team. His true talent level will rapidly become apparent and he will never win again.

You heard it here first. :laugh:His talent level has always been obvious.

Winston Wolfe
05-09-07, 11:25 PM
His talent level has always been obvious.

Level of talent does not necessarily equate to level of popularity. As CABs most popular driver - he only needs to get an occasional "the Call" and all is well for the unwashed mass of fans - buying his wranglers, his monte carlo ss spots, and his Bud.... heck, he's gotta make the Chase this year...

oh yeah and talent dont mean popular in other series as well....

see Fisher.... Sarah - Earl's most popular for many years
also,
see Mania.... Danica - Earl's second most popular to never win anything
:shakehead

JohnHKart
05-10-07, 03:28 AM
I hope this doesn't go as well as Michael Waltrip's move to his own team, I mean motorhome and couch, because that's where spends most of the weekend. Beyond belief!

JH

Sean O'Gorman
05-10-07, 08:57 AM
I hope this doesn't go as well as Michael Waltrip's move to his own team, I mean motorhome and couch, because that's where spends most of the weekend. Beyond belief!

JH

This could be the best thing to happen to Michael Waltrip, no way in hell that NASCAR keeps the 35/8 rule with Dale Jr. going to a startup operation.

Tifosi24
05-10-07, 09:04 AM
This could be the best thing to happen to Michael Waltrip, no way in hell that NASCAR keeps the 35/8 rule with Dale Jr. going to a startup operation.

Agreed.

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 09:25 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

I knew that the Bud sponsorship belonged to Jr but I guess the Bass Pro Shops belongs to him (or Truex) also? Losing the Bud money should hit DEI hard. That has to be one of the top paying sponsors in the sport.

That sponsorship also will be a reason for NASCAR to rethink the top 35 rule.

But the iconic #8 (and its association with the #3 ) will be staying at DEI. It seems trivial but I wonder how Jr will handle that. What number will he pick to create new number worship and merchandise sales?

Sean O'Gorman
05-10-07, 09:38 AM
He could change it to 22.7 or whatever the number was in that one commercial. ;)

Wheel-Nut
05-10-07, 09:51 AM
Big press conference on Speed today. 10:30 am

FTG
05-10-07, 10:58 AM
Well, look what happened when Tony took over his parent's racing business.

dando
05-10-07, 11:50 AM
He could change it to 22.7 or whatever the number was in that one commercial. ;)

6.7...gonna be hard toshave that # in yer back hair. ;)

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
05-10-07, 12:16 PM
Now that he's gone where is he going?

Richard Childress Racing? Jack Rousch? Hendrick? Yates?

My guess would be RCR.

Don Quixote
05-10-07, 12:30 PM
Unlike the rest of you haters, I will be pulling for him to be successful. Wishful thinking perhaps, but I think he has been a class act through all of this. :p

dando
05-10-07, 01:37 PM
Now that he's gone where is he going?

Richard Childress Racing? Jack Rousch? Hendrick? Yates?

My guess would be RCR.

'Nut, it was mentioned (rumored?) that it would be his own team. Following in them hallowed footsteps of Mikey W.... :gomer:

EDIT: I guess not based on his comments during the presser. Maybe he'll go drive alongside Jeffy Gordon and the Rainbow Warriors. That'd be enough to restart the civil war all over. :gomer:

$10 he ends up @ RCR (if he doesn't start his own team) and drives the #3.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 01:41 PM
Unlike the rest of you haters, I will be pulling for him to be successful. Wishful thinking perhaps, but I think he has been a class act through all of this. :p

To the degree that I care about NASCAR I will too. He has been a stand up given the pressures on him and Truex is a Jersey kid I used to watch race modifieds at Wall Stadium.

Teresa on the other hand has fallen from grace. Right after DEs death she was seen as poised, savvy and graceful. Kinda Jackie-esque in a redneck sort of way. Now she seems to be seen as controlling and aloof.

Wheel-Nut
05-10-07, 01:45 PM
'Nut, it was mentioned (rimored?) that it would be his own team. Following in them hallowed footsteps of Mikey W.... :gomer:

-Kevin

I saw that. That wouldn't be a good move. If he wants to compete for wins like he says he would best be served driving for someone else.

Now, lets look at where this leaves DEI - Paul Menard in the seat and John Menard in the house!! :eek: The first post was right, Sr. is turning over in his grave!!

IlliniRacer
05-10-07, 02:09 PM
Jr to D&R for the five hunnert :tony:

Do you realize the number of stickers that are going to need to be replaced on pickup trucks across America?

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 02:19 PM
Now, lets look at where this leaves DEI - Paul Menard in the seat and John Menard in the house!! :eek: The first post was right, Sr. is turning over in his grave!!

Could Mickey Waltrip bring his Toyota money and NAPA/UPS sponsorship to DEI? DEI has a lot of sponsor money to replace and MW needs owner points.

Crazier things have happened

Fio1
05-10-07, 02:19 PM
He's going to go to Michael Waltrip Motorsports with Toyota. That way he gets a lot more weekends off! :laugh:

Wheel-Nut
05-10-07, 02:34 PM
Could Mickey Waltrip bring his Toyota money and NAPA/UPS sponsorship to DEI? DEI has a lot of sponsor money to replace and MW needs owner points.

Crazier things have happened

I think owners points stay with the car numbers. I suspect Jr. will try to keep the #8.

TKGAngel
05-10-07, 02:58 PM
$10 he ends up @ RCR (if he doesn't start his own team) and drives the #3.

My god, the bubbas would go nuts over Junior in the 3.

Teresa on the other hand has fallen from grace. Right after DEs death she was seen as poised, savvy and graceful. Kinda Jackie-esque in a redneck sort of way. Now she seems to be seen as controlling and aloof.

Her business focus was on protecting her husband's legacy so the kids (including her daughter) would have something for the future. Now, she may have let the biggest part of the legacy get away.

The aloofness is reflected in some of the rumors floating around. I've heard that she was never close to Dale and his sister while they were growing up (TE was allegedly so focused on DE Sr, while the kids were the afterthought and left with a nanny), and that she now feels threatened by the fact that Junior is so close to his real mama.

And this post is veering dangerously close to a redneck version of Days of Our Lives. :\

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 03:41 PM
I think owners points stay with the car numbers. I suspect Jr. will try to keep the #8.

Yes, owner points stay with the number and the number stays with the owner. Teresa is the owner (that's why DEjr is leaving) so no he won't get to keep the 8.

And if he starts a new team, like Waltrip, he starts with no points. The way it is going Mickey will start with no points in 08 too.

Moving to Childress in a Bud sponsored #3 would be over the top popular with the faithful and worth a fortune in sponsor dollars

Wheel-Nut
05-10-07, 03:58 PM
But Mikey did start with points when he bought the 55. The 8 can be had, how much is it worth?

dando
05-10-07, 03:59 PM
And if he starts a new team, like Waltrip, he starts with no points. The way it is going Mickey will start with no points in 08 too.

Mikey might start '08 with a negative point total due to the Daytoner penalty.

-Kevin

dcracer
05-10-07, 06:24 PM
The number 8 actually belongs to NASCAR. NASCAR owns and assigns car numbers. They have the right to revoke, or transfer a car number to another owner/team, at any time. Given that fact my guess would be Jr. and Bud would be in the 8 car regardless of the team he drives for in the future. However a black 3 Budweiser car might look kinda cool.

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 06:59 PM
The number 8 actually belongs to NASCAR. NASCAR owns and assigns car numbers. They have the right to revoke, or transfer a car number to another owner/team, at any time. Given that fact my guess would be Jr. and Bud would be in the 8 car regardless of the team he drives for in the future. However a black 3 Budweiser car might look kinda cool.

They may own it, but the rights for the 3 is held by Childress. The rights for the 8 are held by Teresa. Unless the teams do something to screw up, I'm sure there is a lot of legal language to protect the teams from losing the rights to the numbers. In fact the actual form the numbers take of a registered trademark held by the owners, not Nascar

Mr. Toad
05-10-07, 09:37 PM
Toad’s take. (just my opinion)

The big target on Jeff Gordon’s back is now on Teresa Earnhardt’s back.

JR Motorsports does not step up to the Nextel Cup level.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. does not start a new Nextel Cup team.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. does not drive for some other owner.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. takes over (for a price) controlling interest in DEI from Teresa Earnhardt.

What we have here is a well orchestrated mutiny.;)

devilmaster
05-10-07, 10:10 PM
If Toyo was smart they would just open the vault and ask dale how much....

extramundane
05-10-07, 10:29 PM

Because they need to add another marginal talent driving for a startup team to their roster?

Methanolandbrats
05-10-07, 10:29 PM
So that gold-digging bitch will assume control of his daddy's heritage? No matter how ya cut it, that sucks.:mad:

Spicoli
05-11-07, 12:14 AM
nascar: we fight over numbers.

pathetic.

:shakehead

:gomer:

pchall
05-11-07, 07:19 AM
http://www.stickergirl.com/images/BBMAIN.jpg
Seen on Ford F150s http://www.nflnut.com/store/media/DaleEarnhardtBlanket3.JPG

Wheel-Nut
05-11-07, 10:35 AM

Jr. says its not about $$$. He wants wins and championships. For some strange reason I believe him. :saywhat:

Andrew Longman
05-11-07, 11:44 AM
Because they need to add another marginal talent driving for a startup team to their roster?

He did win back to back Busch championships and its pretty accepted that Teresa hasn't exactly done everything that could be done to field a top team.

As far as Sr rolling over in his grave, Jr thinks he would be proud of him and says he's at the same age as his Dad when he "made the most important decision of his life". I presume that was his decision to pair up with Childress but the article I read didn't say.:rolleyes: