View Full Version : Kentucky Derby

gjc2
05-05-07, 04:31 PM
Anyone placing a bet?

I'm in with numbers 2, 7 & 12

dando
05-05-07, 06:34 PM
I'll take 7, 8 & 2. Am I too late to bet? :gomer:

I was pulling for imawildandcrazyguy just becuz. :)

-Kevin

RusH
05-05-07, 06:46 PM
Bummer, I didn`t go this years Tampa Bay Derby and it`s winner, Street Sense won. I`ll be kicking myself if he takes the next 2 crown races.

Gnam
05-06-07, 09:53 PM
During the Houston ALMS broadcast they mentioned that Street Sense is owned by the same family that runs Tafel Racing, a GT2 Porsche team. http://www.tafelracing.com/

Sort of a random connection, but maybe a PR opportunity. Pony rides at RA anyone?

Methanolandbrats
05-06-07, 10:17 PM
Here's an honest question. Why is horse racing a sport? I know there is a starting line, it is timed and that is the pure basis of sport. However, that applies to track and field or other human sports, but in this case all you have is a rich guy buying a horse and hiring a midget to hit it with a stick. Comments?

Cam
05-06-07, 10:20 PM
Here's an honest question. Why is horse racing a sport? I know there is a starting line, it is timed and that is the pure basis of sport. However, that applies to track and field or other human sports, but in this case all you have is a rich guy buying a horse and hiring a midget to hit it with a stick. Comments?

It's all about the tallest midget... :p

Sean O'Gorman
05-06-07, 10:30 PM
During the Houston ALMS broadcast they mentioned that Street Sense is owned by the same family that runs Tafel Racing, a GT2 Porsche team. http://www.tafelracing.com/

Sort of a random connection, but maybe a PR opportunity. Pony rides at RA anyone?

I didn't watch the Kentucky Derby but I saw part of the press conference on Sportscenter or something last night and I was wondering if there was a connection. Thanks for the info.

TravelGal
05-07-07, 01:25 AM

Perverse question but, on the off chance you really want comments...

Is the sport in the training of the horse or the guy on it? Or both? Or neither?

Is polo a sport? A rich guy buys a horse and hires a guy who can swing a stick.

Is car racing a sport? A rich guy buys a car and hires a guy who can drive it?

Where do you draw the line as to what makes a sport?

One question from me to you? Have you ever ridden a thoroughbred? Believe me, you don't just hit it with a stick. :)

cameraman
05-07-07, 01:30 AM
Here's an honest question. Why is horse racing a sport?

What you are saying is that you have never ridden a horse.

dando
05-07-07, 11:37 AM

By the same token why is auto racing a sport then? Horse racing is just a different vehicle. If you saw the overhead shot of Street Sense making his move down the back stretch, you would have answered your own question. There was some serious manuevering by the jockey to get the horse off the rail from 5/6th position to make the charge into the lead. I swore there was gonna be a 12 horse pileup @ the 1.5 mile point. :eek:

Oh, and like Camerman mentioned, get your @ss onto a horse and find out for yourself. It's easier said then done, yo. :)

-Kevin

G.
05-07-07, 11:52 AM
Jockey's are MUCH more of atheletes than earl drivers (foot to floor).

I've always wondered why the beast is so celebrated, yet the driver is less-so.

skaven
05-07-07, 11:52 PM
I missed it, but congrats to Troy Smith on another well-deserved second place finish while riding Paper Tiger. :thumbup:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e170/andyjung/derbysacktroy.jpg

:honk: :D

I'm sooo sorry... I can't help myself.

Sean O'Gorman
05-08-07, 08:38 AM
I missed it, but congrats to Troy Smith on another well-deserved second place finish while riding Paper Tiger. :thumbup:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e170/andyjung/derbysacktroy.jpg

:honk: :D

I'm sooo sorry... I can't help myself.

Busy at a tractor pull or something?