PDA

View Full Version : the unions

Spicoli
05-02-07, 07:13 PM
http://www.mikescomputersllc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7331

found on dolan Waggen. :(

Hey guys,

Just got a call from Earl Ma (who many of you know as "theunions" on various Internet fora). Those of you who know him know that he's been undergoing cancer treatments. He's been in the hospital since yesterday because he suddenly lost the use of his lower body below the waist. He had an MRI and the initial diagnosis is that the cancer cells from his tumor are blocking blood to his spine and that his lower spine might be deteriorating due to his treatments. He already has a T9 fracture in his spine to worry about too.

If you wouldn't mind giving him a call at the hospital, he's very down and could use some friendly voices of encouragement from his friends.

His phone number at the hospital is 1-808-432-0000, room 2248.

Thanks.

oddlycalm
05-02-07, 07:41 PM
Thanks for post this spickly. Cancer treatment is rough duty by anyone's measure. :( Probably to late to far into the evening today but I'll make time tomorrow.

oc

Cam
05-03-07, 12:11 AM
Crap!!!! Not another! :(

Ankf00
05-03-07, 10:09 AM
****. it was supposed to have gotten better, he was finally flying stateside & back to Texas this year :(

We're thinking about you man. http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/hookem.gif

Wheel-Nut
05-03-07, 10:43 AM
Is he in Houston?

Thoughts and prayers for you Earl.

JoeBob
05-03-07, 10:55 AM
Area code 808 is Hawaii

FCYTravis
05-03-07, 07:27 PM
Goddamnit. Last I talked to him (he is putting together a Jon Fogarty/Alex Gurney DP model for me), he said he was doing better... he was planning to be back here later this year, as Ank mentioned :( :cry:

Thanks for posting this, Spicoli.

Get well soon, Earl!

theunions
05-03-07, 10:23 PM
Somehow still alive and now back online thanks to good ol' dialup in my hospital bed. Hooray! :)

Yes, I was in Houston, and Long Beach before that. I've submitted shots to motorsport.com (everything but the Sunday LBGP races so far) but Eric hasn't posted them yet. Good thing this didn't happen during the trip or else it would've been a much bigger logistical nightmare.

The goal is still to somehow try to get out of here in time to do Laguna Grand Am the weekend of the 20th...if not, maybe The Glen for the first time two weeks later, following the 500 (yeah, I know...)...I'm determined to show up for some combination of these, even if I have to tool myself around indefinitely in a stinking wheelchair...

Thanks for the phone call Pineapple. Much appreciated! The rest of you can feel free to call in at your leisure and I'll personally fill you in on all the ugly details you can handle. ;)

More later,
Earl

PS. Yes Cork, I got to interview your absolute favorite driver at LBGP, and I don't mean Fabio or RHR. :D

PPS. Correct room # is 224A

FCYTravis
05-03-07, 10:28 PM
Earl, let me know if you need any assistance with credentialing or anything else. I'll pull what strings I can. If nothing else, Bob/Dan will have a suite at Laguna and I'm pretty sure I can swing you a pass.

theunions
05-03-07, 10:43 PM
I'm supposed to have my standard media/photo credentials for Laguna (never been there before BTW), but to what degree I could use them dependent on what condition I'd be in is purely speculative at this time (i.e., I hope someone is prepared to whisk me out on golf cart to the Corkscrew if need be...that's a tough walk for someone with two good legs!). As for the Watkins Glen plan B, too early to worry about that just yet.

And feel free to post something at the GA or GARRA-FANS board if you feel the urge...

devilmaster
05-03-07, 11:44 PM
even if I have to tool myself around indefinitely in a stinking wheelchair...

let's look on the upside of this.... can we get someone to add a crate motor and some slicks? ;)

Get better soon Earl. :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
05-04-07, 01:56 AM
Good to hear from you. Hang in there. :thumbup:

JoeBob
05-04-07, 09:38 AM
Earl,
Keep your spirits high.

We're all thinking of you.

G.
05-04-07, 01:04 PM
Get well and get your *** back to the TRACK!

FCYTravis
05-04-07, 05:00 PM
Earl:

I have a Pit Road suite pass for you for Laguna if you can make it.

-Travis

TravelGal
05-04-07, 07:19 PM
I tried to call twice. The first time, his line was busy. GOOD! Let's hope it was one of his racing pals. Next time it just rang and rang. GOOD! Let's hope he was out trying to run down one of those cute nurses we all know work in Hawaiian hospitals. ;)

Seriously dude, serious prayers your way.

BigIrlFan
05-04-07, 10:48 PM
IM a fan of all things earl BUddie get yourselve better fast an show up at the SPeedway an ILl by you a tenterloing and a cupple of beers. :thumbup:

BIgEARLfan

FCYTravis
05-05-07, 12:20 AM
Can't ever top BigEARLfan... :thumbup:

TravelGal
05-05-07, 02:33 AM
Can't ever top BigEARLfan... :thumbup:

Or STOP.....

:laugh:

Napoleon
05-05-07, 06:46 AM
Earl, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Ziggy
05-05-07, 07:55 AM
Get well soon

The IRL needs your money

RHR_Fan
05-05-07, 10:36 AM
PS. Yes Cork, I got to interview your absolute favorite driver at LBGP, and I don't mean Fabio or RHR. :D

PPS. Correct room # is 224A

No Fabio or RHR? Tear. :cry: ;)

Glad to hear from you. :)

~Nicole

theunions
05-05-07, 03:28 PM
I tried to call twice. The first time, his line was busy. GOOD! Let's hope it was one of his racing pals. Next time it just rang and rang. GOOD! Let's hope he was out trying to run down one of those cute nurses we all know work in Hawaiian hospitals. ;)

Seriously dude, serious prayers your way.

If it rings and rings, then I may likely be at the other hospital getting my daily (not on weekends though) radiation treatments. If the line's busy, then either I'm fielding a call or I'm stuck on dialup... :irked:

Someone told me to expect a phone call this weekend from a certain Champ Car driver of significance from my Long Beach and Houston weekends...we shall see.

theunions
05-07-07, 04:22 AM
For any of you who may be still thinking about calling in, I'm now told there's a "curfew" from 10 pm to 7 am HI time where the hospital will not forward my calls. Don't ask me if that's just standard policy or if they got tired of people trying to get a hold of me... ;)

Just finished editing those pesky LBGP race day shots...will take forever to upload/sumbit via dialup though so please be patient...

TravelGal
05-09-07, 12:48 AM
Good talking with you. I wonder if my calling plan covers Hawaii? :eek: :eek:

I'll PM you tomorrow with the answer to your questions.

theunions
05-11-07, 03:19 AM
Imsgine my surprise when I returned from radiation at the other hospital this afternoon to find a big box sitting on my bed, unidentified except for FedEx and FTD markings. It took a while to ascertain exactly who/where this stuff came from, but ultimately I figured it out. So this is to confirm the shipment made it to the right place! :)

A hearty thanks to those of you who put that care package together for me. I don't know which specific individuals I should necessarily thank, but it is very touching and enormously appreciated. I've already cracked into the wafers and several of the other goodies.

I've just started my 2nd week of radiation here, waiting for the legs to kick in, and this morning spent the first time since being admitted sitting upright in a wheelchair, getting used to the basic premise of being able to propel myself down the hall, change direction, etc. Now to get me some cyclist/marathon wheelchair racer's type gloves... :cool:

Indy
05-11-07, 08:19 AM
theunions, I do not know you, but I just want to say that your attitude is inspiring. God bless you.

Ziggy
05-11-07, 08:48 AM
Hope you get a Studio 27 IRL kit

Oh wait, they dont make those, wonder why............

Brickman
05-11-07, 12:23 PM
Off Camber and Dolan Wagon are filled with pretty good people. Sometimes we are just bystanders of the tragedy that people in communities such as this are touched by, helpless to just mourn. My mom is a four time cancer survivor from the age of 40, battling with surgery and chemo therapy for 46 years. It's instilled that we fight on.

Many here are with you in your fight.

theunions
05-11-07, 12:50 PM
Hope you get a Studio 27 IRL kit

Oh wait, they dont make those, wonder why............

That's good, 'cuz I've never even tackled a Studio 27 F1 kit before either... ;)

BTW there are plenty of sanctioning bodies, not just IRL, eager for my money, but as a media person I never give them any...

Ziggy
05-11-07, 01:07 PM
but as a media person I never give them any...

Didn't know the Villiage Voice had a motorsports column

get well soon

theunions
05-11-07, 06:14 PM
Meanwhile to show you guys and gals I've been keeping busy and didn't squander my trip, my Houston shots are finally up (Long Beach remains pending):

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?Y=2007&N=Earl_Ma&E=Houston&S=ALMS (not the greatest race shots, sorry...didn't know at that point what photo hole to go to)
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?Y=2007&N=Earl_Ma&E=Houston&S=ATLANTIC
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?Y=2007&N=Earl_Ma&E=Houston&S=CHAMPCAR
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?Y=2007&N=Earl_Ma&E=Houston&S=STARMAZDA

Brickman
05-12-07, 05:14 PM
Imsgine my surprise when I returned from radiation at the other hospital this afternoon to find a big box sitting on my bed, unidentified except for FedEx and FTD markings. It took a while to ascertain exactly who/where this stuff came from, but ultimately I figured it out. So this is to confirm the shipment made it to the right place! :)

A hearty thanks to those of you who put that care package together for me. I don't know which specific individuals I should necessarily thank, but it is very touching and enormously appreciated. I've already cracked into the wafers and several of the other goodies.

I've just started my 2nd week of radiation here, waiting for the legs to kick in, and this morning spent the first time since being admitted sitting upright in a wheelchair, getting used to the basic premise of being able to propel myself down the hall, change direction, etc. Now to get me some cyclist/marathon wheelchair racer's type gloves... :cool:

A number of us put our heads together along with our wallets, purses, but like the card said it's from all of us at Off Camber and Dolan Wagon.

Haven't the slightest idea what gloves would work best, give us a size and we'll get rolling on it.

Paintergeek
05-12-07, 07:05 PM
Hope all is going well Earl. Not sure im gonna make the plunge to call Hawaii, But I do hope all is going well and I look forward to seein' you in indy again someday, Even if it is for the enemy.

PG

RHR_Fan
05-12-07, 10:20 PM
I just started looking at your pics bud - awesome. :thumbup: :)

~Nicole

oddlycalm
05-12-07, 10:57 PM
Great pics Earl :thumbup: Glad you were able to be there.

oc

theunions
05-13-07, 03:18 AM
A number of us put our heads together along with our wallets, purses, but like the card said it's from all of us at Off Camber and Dolan Wagon.

Haven't the slightest idea what gloves would work best, give us a size and we'll get rolling on it.

I did try to signup at Dolan's the other day to write a direct reply there, but I haven't received the manual moderator's OK yet.

As for the gloves, no worries...I've already developed a collection of three pairs and counting! :cool:

theunions
05-15-07, 05:33 AM
10 days' radiation offically wrap up tomorrow afternoon. Then we can more seriously talk about going home... :)

Meanwhile, all my Long Beach shots are finally up:
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?Y=2007&N=Earl_Ma&E=Long_Beach&S=ALMS
(got quite a few good comments from assorted ALMS drivers the following week in Houston on these)
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?Y=2007&N=Earl_Ma&E=Long_Beach&S=CHAMPCAR (including the Pro/Celeb grid)
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?Y=2007&N=Earl_Ma&E=Long_Beach&S=ATLANTIC
(including cameo appearance by CdM)

FCYTravis
05-15-07, 06:12 AM
Great stoof!

Hope you can make it to Laguna... got a pass with your name on it. :cool:

theunions
05-19-07, 03:15 AM
Bad news is no Laguna.

Good news is after 18 days, I'm FINALLY home! :)

Compare that to the current "plus or minus 23 days" for Paris and you can understand how I felt imprisoned... ;)

oddlycalm
05-19-07, 07:25 AM
Glad you're home Earl. :thumbup: Being in there for 18 days must have been real tough sledding.

oc

theunions
05-26-07, 06:19 AM
Made it to Indy! Paintergeek can vouch for that... :tony:

Jim Nabors bailed for the first time in 20 years due to illness and stayed in HI...but not me! :\

G.
06-08-07, 12:26 AM
Bless you.

Can anyone do a quick bio/eulogy for the guy?

I just know him from the web.

Nothing too personal, mind you.

Who was he, who did he leave behind, etc.

RIP.:cry:

Robstar
06-08-07, 01:24 AM
Respect

pineapple
06-08-07, 08:27 PM
:( Cancer sucks. A safe and peaceful journey, Earl.