PDA

View Full Version : Ford Fusion or Chevy Malibu

skaven
04-27-07, 04:52 PM
Well, the company is going to order me a new vehicle and my choices are the Ford Fusion or the Chevy Malibu. I suppose I would've gone Ford to support Champcar, but that is a moot point now. I don't know which models (I4 or V6 or any other options... ) I just get to pick a color.

I can't imagine one is much different than the other except that Fusion sounds cooler than Malibu and I don't want my new nickname to be Stacy. :gomer:

Any suggestions? :confused:

Ankf00
04-27-07, 05:03 PM
that's right, your nickname's already Trixie, Trixie.

KLang
04-27-07, 05:07 PM
Never driven either one but strictly going by looks the Fusion is much less offensive to my eyes.

extramundane
04-27-07, 05:31 PM
A friend of mine had a '06 Malibu as a long-ish term rental while his Outback was in the body shop. That was without a doubt the biggest POS I've ever driven (and I used to own one of these (http://www.dakotamarketplace.com/images/Items/Saturn.jpg)). It drove like a dumptruck, accelerated like a tricycle, had many of the requisite rattles and mystery noises and the interior just seemed to be laid out poorly.

So I guess my thought is that the Fusion may be a POS, but the Malibu definitely is a POS.

skaven
04-27-07, 05:47 PM
Never driven either one but strictly going by looks the Fusion is much less offensive to my eyes.

Agreed. :thumbup: The wagon/ droopy-drawers version of the Malibu looks a little better to me than the standard version. I don't think I have a choice though and the Ford looks a little better than both.

skaven
04-27-07, 05:49 PM
A friend of mine had a '06 Malibu as a long-ish term rental while his Outback was in the body shop. That was without a doubt the biggest POS I've ever driven (and I used to own one of these (http://www.dakotamarketplace.com/images/Items/Saturn.jpg)). It drove like a dumptruck, accelerated like a tricycle, had many of the requisite rattles and mystery noises and the interior just seemed to be laid out poorly.

So I guess my thought is that the Fusion may be a POS, but the Malibu definitely is a POS.

:laugh: I'll take that as two (albeit tepid) votes for the Fusion ! ! !

skaven
04-27-07, 05:49 PM
that's right, your nickname's already Trixie, Trixie.

Go :honk: yourself Heather. :mad:

Don Quixote
04-27-07, 05:55 PM
Make that three luke-warm-hold-your-nose votes for the Ford. I drove a Malibu rental for a few days and couldn't believe how bad it was. I think it was a four, it had to be. Maybe zero to 60 in 2 days. The seating position and steering wheel position were awkward and actually hurt after a little while. The car nose dove like a 1969 Electra 225 under braking. :yuck:

ferrarigod
04-27-07, 06:06 PM
i don't know about any options they have, cause both are crap cars.

but the fusion looks way better aesthetically than the malibu. it also looks much more professional and complete than the chevy.

i'd negotiate and hold out for the fision.

cameraman
04-27-07, 06:56 PM
One of the wife's aunts let me drive her shiny new Malibu...

It does not seem possible that the Fusion could be any worse.

Gnam
04-27-07, 07:07 PM
Ford Fusion

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/9755/fusionalgww0.jpg
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/3282/6fordfusion01fq2.jpg

Chevy Malibu

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6765/1053840w600gw3.jpg
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/3909/es195chevymalibuwi6.jpg

Curb appeal:
1) Ford's got the smooth lines and angular look of a caddy.
2) Malibu is rockin' the spoiler
3) Ford looks a little longer, but you're upfront so who cares.
4) Malibu definately looks like a Hertz rental, how does the snow patrol treat tourists.

This says the Fusion is the Most Washable (http://www.fordmuscle.com/blog/ford-fusion-voted-most-washable-car/11284).

nrc
04-27-07, 07:25 PM
The Fusion is built on the Mazda 6 platform so the dynamics should be decent. We didn't even bother test driving when Missy was shopping because they don't offer the V6 with a manual. Another thing that annoys me about them is that interior plastic looks cheap in even the upscale versions.

Gnam
04-27-07, 07:28 PM
If they tell you what your trim levels are, you can compare them here: Edmunds.com (http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/VehicleComparison?basestyleid=100727014&styleid=100803263&maxvehicles=5&refid=&op=3&tab=ratings)
I listed some features of the I4 models.

Engine
Fusion - I4 2.3L, 160hp @ 6250rpm & 156 ft-lbs. @ 4250 rpm
Malibu - I4 2.2L, 144 hp @ 5600 rpm & 155 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm

Transmission
Fusion - 5 speed (stick/auto)
Malibu - 4 speed only

Tires
Fusion - 16in
Malibu - 15in

Gas Mileage
Fusion - 31/23
Malibu - 34/24

Floor Mats
Fusion - Standard
Malibu - N/A

Crash Rating
Fusion - 4 stars
Malibu - 5 stars

skaven
04-27-07, 08:04 PM
Thanks All. :thumbup:

I'm actually swayed by washability as I'll be taking clients out to lunch, etc. and I can't show up with a dirty car.

Also, knowing that the Fusion is built on a Mazda platform is a nice plus. I'd actually use my own money on a Mazda. :thumbup:

I'm just bummed the Taurus Heritiage Edition was a hoax. :gomer:

Rogue Leader
04-28-07, 02:36 AM
I work for a company that has the Malibu in its fleet. We were offered the Fusion as well by ford but turned it down. The Malibu is no Porsche I'll tell you that but the Fusion was worse, thrashy engine, the interior as even cheaper (if you can imagine that), the stereo sucked. It was quite disconcerting having a car with 60 miles on it showing separation between the console trim and th e sides of the console, plus there was still plastic mold flashing on everything. We never had that problem with a chevy.

chop456
04-28-07, 06:59 AM
I drove a Malibu rental for a few days and couldn't believe how bad it was.

Ditto. Mine didn't even have a scan button on the radio. :gomer:

Don Quixote
04-28-07, 09:21 AM
:laugh: But, the scan button would have cost GM another $1.50.

gjc2
04-28-07, 11:25 AM
Ditto. Mine didn't even have a scan button on the radio. :gomer:

I work for a company that does fleet vehicle leasing. I have the opportunity to drive a lot of different vehicles from basic transportation type cars to high end luxury and high performance cars. I don't remember the last time I saw a car without a CD player let alone seek and scan. The car your talking about may have been a special order low content package for daily rental use.

Sean O'Gorman
04-28-07, 11:33 AM
I was going to ask where is the option for "get a new job", but then I remember that my next promotion puts me in a company issued Impala, where my only choices are color, and sunroof. :yuck:

WickerBill
04-28-07, 11:56 AM
While the Impala is no world beater, it is significantly better-built than it was just a couple years ago.

Still ugly as Tony Kornheiser though.

Ankf00
04-28-07, 12:03 PM
The malibu rental i had this year made me want to leave the car in a ditch and hitchhike around town instead :cry:

Indy
04-28-07, 12:23 PM
Your company wants you to impress clients in a cheap car?

gjc2
04-28-07, 12:49 PM
Your company wants you to impress clients in a cheap car?

"from basic transportation type cars to high end luxury and high performance cars"

We also have some light and medium duty trucks and even a few busses on the road.

Methanolandbrats
04-28-07, 12:51 PM
They are both **** boxes. Get the one which does best in frontal and side impact crash tests so you are safe while you are serving your sentence driving it.

Spicoli
04-28-07, 04:22 PM
Well, the company is going to order me a new vehicle and my choices are the Ford Fusion or the Chevy Malibu. I suppose I would've gone Ford to support Champcar, but that is a moot point now. I don't know which models (I4 or V6 or any other options... ) I just get to pick a color.

I can't imagine one is much different than the other except that Fusion sounds cooler than Malibu and I don't want my new nickname to be Stacy. :gomer:

Any suggestions? :confused:

shoot yourself. :D

Jag_Warrior
04-28-07, 07:55 PM
The malibu rental i had this year made me want to leave the car in a ditch and hitchhike around town instead :cry:

You'd have been cited for littering.

skaven
04-29-07, 11:23 PM
They are both **** boxes. Get the one which does best in frontal and side impact crash tests so you are safe while you are serving your sentence driving it.

That is a good point. :(

My last two company-provided cars were 4x4 trucks which worked out well in the mountains. That at least gave me some credibiity with the dudes, but, like Indy says, they expect me to impress clients while driving a ****-box... and to SOG, this is my "new job." 2x:(

So we've got numerous tepid Fusion votes, but all of the lesser-of-two-evils variety. Only Rogue Leader has actually driven a Fusion though and certainly didn't like it. He makes it sound very Malibu-eque. I guess that is one roundabout vote for the Malibu. And we have one vote for shooting myself. :D

Good advice, some laughs and some morbid advice from methy that might be the best argument yet. Too bad we only have one poster confirming the s*****ness of the Fusion.

cameraman
04-29-07, 11:49 PM
You could always go to a dealer and test drive one or the other.

Gnam
04-30-07, 02:41 AM
How about instead of the car, they just give you the cash? That way you could subsidize the ride of your choice.

Spicoli
04-30-07, 08:11 AM
How about instead of the car, they just give you the cash? That way you could subsidize the ride of your choice.

that make sentirely toot much sense. :D

Which means, it won;t fly.

oddlycalm
04-30-07, 04:58 PM
How about instead of the car, they just give you the cash? That way you could subsidize the ride of your choice. Some companies will do that on an expense account basis. I did that back in the early 80's to avoid driving a Reliant K car. As I recall I didn't make out all that well on the car expenses but I was happy to be driving my car as opposed to the Reliant.

oc

gjc2
04-30-07, 05:27 PM
Some companies will do that on an expense account basis. I did that back in the early 80's to avoid driving a Reliant K car. As I recall I didn't make out all that well on the car expenses but I was happy to be driving my car as opposed to the Reliant.

oc

We've have a few clients go the car allowance route just to shed the liability of owning/leasing a car for an employee.

ChampcarShark
04-30-07, 05:29 PM
Another vote for the fusion. After test driving a Malibu y concluded that my bicycle was a better choice.

WickerBill
04-30-07, 07:13 PM
For what it's worth -- the Fusion trounces the Malibu in online reviews.

tllips
05-05-07, 07:12 PM
"Speed Test Drive" is featuring the Ford Fusion tonight (Saturday) at 6:30PM CDT.

chop456
09-04-07, 09:51 AM
Someone at GM woke up. First the Enclave and now this. :saywhat:

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2007/01/04-chevrolet-malibu/

Not a world beater, but about a billion percent better than the last one.

Andrew Longman
09-04-07, 09:58 AM
Not a world beater, but about a billion percent better than the last one.

No kidding. Doesn't really even look like a GM car.

ChampcarShark
09-04-07, 06:58 PM
Now it looks like a sedan