PDA

View Full Version : Draft prospects for your NFL team

Pages : [1] 2

Racing Truth
04-26-07, 07:24 PM
Ahh, the only day us Browns fans can really look forward to, Draft Day, is nearly upon us. So, who's your team looking at?

Don Quixote
04-26-07, 07:48 PM
My biggest fear is of the Browns picking Brady Quinn, who will have a Rick Meier or Ryan Leaf type career. Repeat after me: Peterson, Peterson, Peterson, Peterson.

Dr. Corkski
04-26-07, 07:50 PM
Here (http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/fugitives/fugitives.htm) is the list straight from the Bengals war room.

Don Quixote
04-26-07, 07:52 PM
:laugh: I wonder if Bin Laden can still play?

Racing Truth
04-27-07, 01:58 PM
My biggest fear is of the Browns picking Brady Quinn, who will have a Rick Meier or Ryan Leaf type career. Repeat after me: Peterson, Peterson, Peterson, Peterson.

The "new consensus" seems to be Thomas. I love AP, but his injury issue...

devilmaster
04-27-07, 03:17 PM
i'm listening to a full blown mock draft from my local sports radio.....

so far:

OAK - Calvin Johnson
DET - Jamarcus Russell
CLE - Brady Quinn
TB - Gaines Adams
ARZ - Joe Thomas
WAS - Allan Branch
MIN - Adrian Peterson
ATL - Leron Landry
MIA - Levi Brown

if you wanna listen: http://tuner1.dc1.sonixtream.com/solon/media/tuner/LaunchTuner?aff=wxyt&UseSame=true

Don Quixote
04-27-07, 03:22 PM
The new SI has the Browns picking Quinn also. Based on that, I bet they go for someone else.

racermike
04-27-07, 03:55 PM
Seahawks dont pick til #55

Probably look for Guard/Tackle, or WR

Insomniac
04-27-07, 04:03 PM
I have no idea what the Pats will do, but I know I'll say "who?" or "what?" after they do something (trade and/or pick). They just take guys who contribute to the team. The only "franchise" 1st rounder they drafted since Belichick became coach is Richard Seymour IMO. Not that any of the other guys are busts/slouches (fortunately).

Their #1s:
2000 - None (Traded to Jets for Belichick)
2001 - Richard Seymour (6th)
2002 - Daniel Graham (21st)
2003 - Ty Warren (13th)
2004 - Vince Wilfork (21st), Benjamin Watson (32nd)
2005 - Logan Mankins (32nd)
2006 - Laurence Maroney (21st)

They have 24 and 28 tomorrow.

Ankf00
04-27-07, 04:04 PM
Titans have a slew of picks and mad cap room, they need DB's and WR's bad, yo.

The Giants need to draft the anti-sux. Good luck with that. :saywhat:

Insomniac
04-27-07, 04:04 PM
Seahawks dont pick til #55

Probably look for Guard/Tackle, or WR

Deion Branch is a pretty good 1st Rd pick. And you got him a year in advance! :)

racermike
04-27-07, 06:03 PM
I have no idea what the Pats will do, but I know I'll say "who?" or "what?" after they do something (trade and/or pick). They just take guys who contribute to the team. The only "franchise" 1st rounder they drafted since Belichick became coach is Richard Seymour IMO. Not that any of the other guys are busts/slouches (fortunately).

Their #1s:
2000 - None (Traded to Jets for Belichick)
2001 - Richard Seymour (6th)
2002 - Daniel Graham (21st)
2003 - Ty Warren (13th)
2004 - Vince Wilfork (21st), Benjamin Watson (32nd)
2005 - Logan Mankins (32nd)
2006 - Laurence Maroney (21st)

They have 24 and 28 tomorrow.

is the 24th pick in exchange for Branch going to Seattle?

dando
04-27-07, 07:29 PM
i'm listening to a full blown mock draft from my local sports radio.....

so far:

OAK - Calvin Johnson
DET - Jamarcus Russell
CLE - Brady Quinn
TB - Gaines Adams
ARZ - Joe Thomas
WAS - Allan Branch
MIN - Adrian Peterson
ATL - Leron Landry
MIA - Levi Brown

if you wanna listen: http://tuner1.dc1.sonixtream.com/solon/media/tuner/LaunchTuner?aff=wxyt&UseSame=true
Ain't no way Branch goes that high, IMHO. He was exposed vs. The OSU and USC. He's got an underachiever label on him now, and I've heard that he could slip deep into the 20s.

-Kevin

devilmaster
04-27-07, 09:10 PM
Ain't no way Branch goes that high, IMHO. He was exposed vs. The OSU and USC. He's got an underachiever label on him now, and I've heard that he could slip deep into the 20s.

-Kevin

Well, you have to remember that the picks were made by sportstalkradio listeners (aka people more qualified than Millen).

It sounded like alot of fun. At the pub, each 'team' was done up by a listener acting as an owner and GM, and they had a stage and the whole shebang. They had sound bites of each player picked and then had their Lions reporter talk to each owner/GM on why they picked who they did.

Insomniac
04-27-07, 09:20 PM
is the 24th pick in exchange for Branch going to Seattle?

Yup.

nrc
04-27-07, 09:51 PM
At 18 the Bengals would like to get a CB but they'll take a Safety if that's the best pick on the board. Some mocks have Branch sliding and the Bengals picking him up, which they might if the DBs are really picked over by then.

And no, there will be no picks with character issues.

dando
04-28-07, 12:23 PM
At 18 the Bengals would like to get a CB but they'll take a Safety if that's the best pick on the board. Some mocks have Branch sliding and the Bengals picking him up, which they might if the DBs are really picked over by then.

And no, there will be no picks with character issues.

S, CB, DT, TE, RB, and WR in that order, please. :)

re: the character issue....it'll be interesting to see what they do if RB Russell from MN is available in the late rounds.

-Kevin

Ankf00
04-28-07, 12:33 PM
Another WR?!

Stevesie, I feel for you, I really do...

dando
04-28-07, 01:54 PM
Ginn > Quinn :eek: :rofl: LMAO :rofl: :saywhat:

I seriously thought Ginn could slip into round 2.

-Kevin

nrc
04-28-07, 02:24 PM
Never been all that impressed by Quinn, but Ginn at 9 is crazy. Of course if his playmaking ability does translate directly it will be brilliant but I don't think speed alone is enough in the NFL.

dando
04-28-07, 02:35 PM
Never been all that impressed by Quinn, but Ginn at 9 is crazy. Of course if his playmaking ability does translate directly it will be brilliant but I don't think speed alone is enough in the NFL.

I guess Marvin will need to go to plan B now. ;)

EDIT: The biggest question with Quinn in my mind is his performance against good teams and/or big games. He's the BMOC against the like of Navy, but against The OSU, USC, UM, and LSU, he's been exposed.

-Kevin

nrc
04-28-07, 02:49 PM
I guess Marvin will need to go to plan B now. ;)

-Kevin

Bengals are drooling right now. Someone will probably break their heart but they've got a lot of good need players still on the board.

dando
04-28-07, 03:05 PM
Bengals are drooling right now. Someone will probably break their heart but they've got a lot of good need players still on the board.

Jets trading up to take Revis just broke my heart. :(

Hopefully Hall slides down to Cincy. My second choice is S Nelson. Please, please, please, please don't let them take Branch. :\

-Kevin

ferrarigod
04-28-07, 03:29 PM
I don't really care about the NFL, I just love that Brady Quinn is finally getting what he deserves. Notre Dame fandom and media support doesn't fly with NFL GM's and coaches, they see through hype and b.s.

Good luck kid, you're gonna knead it.

:rofl:

racermike
04-28-07, 04:05 PM
I don't really care about the NFL, I just love that Brady Quinn is finally getting what he deserves. Notre Dame fandom and media support doesn't fly with NFL GM's and coaches, they see through hype and b.s.

20 picks in .. and no Brady .. HAHAHA

nrc
04-28-07, 04:09 PM
It would be funny if the Bears sit tight and he falls to them at 31. :)

nrc
04-28-07, 04:10 PM
Jets trading up to take Revis just broke my heart. :(

Hopefully Hall slides down to Cincy. My second choice is S Nelson. Please, please, please, please don't let them take Branch. :\

-Kevin

>ding< >ding< >ding<

ferrarigod
04-28-07, 04:23 PM
brandy going to CLE. interesting.

mortensen say's he's going to be a great NFL QB, I would think he would have maybe wanted to be a good college football player first.

what a joke. get ready for continued brady quinn d*** suckage.

Spicoli
04-28-07, 04:34 PM

mortensen say's he's going to be a great NFL QB, I would think he would have maybe wanted to be a good college football player first.

:laugh:

sorry nobody from cleveland state got picked.

Spicoli
04-28-07, 04:35 PM

still makes you look stoopid. :gomer:

:irish:

ferrarigod
04-28-07, 04:42 PM
still makes you look stoopid. :gomer:

:irish:

i've neve seen anything that hasn't made me look more stupid.

Spicoli
04-28-07, 04:47 PM
i've neve seen anything that hasn't made me look more stupid.

lol.

nrc
04-28-07, 04:57 PM
Pats get a pass on the character issue. Good pick if they need some heads stomped. :p

racermike
04-28-07, 05:42 PM

Poor Cleveland fans, gonna have to endure another failed QB, and continue getting their asses handed to them by the Steelers and their fans.

ferrarigod
04-28-07, 05:53 PM
Poor Cleveland fans, gonna have to endure another failed QB, and continue getting their asses handed to them by the Steelers and their fans.

What are you talking about? Tim Couch was incredible!!!!

dando
04-28-07, 06:22 PM
Kudos to Gonzo for making the first round. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Colts taking a WR when they desperately need help on D. :laugh: :tony:

-Kevin

dando
04-28-07, 06:31 PM
>ding< >ding< >ding<

I'm still pissed that they past over Gamble and picked Perry ~3 years ago. :mad: :flame: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Racing Truth
04-28-07, 07:21 PM

Actually, most of us, myself included, are thrilled by this. I would have been pi$$ed if they had taken him at 3. But they didn't. They got the OT they needed, AND upgraded at QB. B/c, ultimately, Frye wasn't the answer.

:thumbup: http://deephousepage.com/smilies/bananalama.gif

dando
04-28-07, 07:25 PM
And by taking Drew Stanton in the 2nd round, the hilarity that is the Detroit Lions is complete. :laugh: :laugh:

-Kevin

Ankf00
04-28-07, 07:49 PM
can't blame Drew for [NAME ALSO REDACTED]

devilmaster
04-28-07, 07:52 PM
I'm Lions Free baby!!!!!! Whoo! :laugh:

I sooo can't wait for monday to listen to the local sportstalk.... valenti will rant for hours... :rofl:

WickerBill
04-28-07, 08:08 PM
Kudos to Gonzo for making the first round. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Great pick. You don't win titles when you're an offensive team with Aaron Morehead in the slot.

err... well you don't win more than one title that way. In my opinion, the way one-dimensional championship or championship-contending teams (think 2k Ravens, 01 Rams, 03 Bucs) ultimately kill themselves is by letting their dominant side stagnate in order to try to beef up the weak side.

Every year, huge names all around the league get cut during roster trim days; the Colts will have plenty of D to choose from -- and it's not like they need to live up to some huge Colts defensive standard or anything. By shoring up that third receiver, they probably feel they can get back to the 2004 Colts where the O was uncontainable, and now that they know how to win close games / come from behind....

Who knows. The only thing I'm sure of is that Reggie and Marvin are going to destroy Nick Harper (who went to TN) twice a season until he retires.

dando
04-28-07, 08:21 PM
Great pick. You don't win titles when you're an offensive team with Aaron Morehead in the slot.

err... well you don't win more than one title that way. In my opinion, the way one-dimensional championship or championship-contending teams (think 2k Ravens, 01 Rams, 03 Bucs) ultimately kill themselves is by letting their dominant side stagnate in order to try to beef up the weak side.

Every year, huge names all around the league get cut during roster trim days; the Colts will have plenty of D to choose from -- and it's not like they need to live up to some huge Colts defensive standard or anything. By shoring up that third receiver, they probably feel they can get back to the 2004 Colts where the O was uncontainable, and now that they know how to win close games / come from behind....

Who knows. The only thing I'm sure of is that Reggie and Marvin are going to destroy Nick Harper (who went to TN) twice a season until he retires.

They lost Harper, Doss, and June on D...not sure if I missed anyone else. They took a decent WR in the 1st and then traded up to get an OT in the 2nd (trading away the '08 #1 pick???). Rookie WRs are rarely productive, so I doubt you'll see much from Gonzo initially. Sorry, but the logic here escapes me. :confused:

-Kevin

dando
04-28-07, 08:34 PM
Actually, most of us, myself included, are thrilled by this. I would have been pi$$ed if they had taken him at 3. But they didn't. They got the OT they needed, AND upgraded at QB. B/c, ultimately, Frye wasn't the answer.

And add CB Wright in the 2nd round to boot (I was sorta hoping the Bengals would take him @ #49). All of the Quinn hating aside (he went to my HS, BTW), this is the best draft (so far) by the Brownies in a long time. Now I'm just waiting for the inevitable new report about a drunken Browns draft pick caught cross-dressing in the Flats. :gomer: I just y'all didn't give up a top 5 pick in next year's draft, which will be overpaying for Quinn.

-Kevin

WickerBill
04-28-07, 08:56 PM
Doss wasn't a part of the Colts D last year, June is 208 lbs and was (in my opinion) the reason they gave up millions of yards rushing to teams like Jax.

Second round pick... yeah.... that's a weird one.

jcollins28
04-28-07, 09:14 PM

Yes and Dallas Cowboys fans will thank you this sametime next year!!!!:rofl:

FTG
04-28-07, 09:15 PM
I just y'all didn't give up a top 5 pick in next year's draft, which will be overpaying for Quinn.

-Kevin

Cowboy fans are already looking forward to next year's draft.

Ankf00
04-28-07, 09:19 PM
cowgirls fans are always looking forward to next year's draft, because they always know this year is going to a disappointment :laugh:

Ankf00
04-28-07, 09:21 PM
Dungy is a defensive coach, he turned the joke that was the indy D into championship caliber, and they did play well in the post season.

that defense will be fine...

I agree with WB, when yuo're that good at something, stick to it.

FTG
04-28-07, 09:30 PM
When you have good drafts, you get this.

http://www.students.stedwards.edu/drojas/EmmitandIrvin.jpg

dando
04-28-07, 09:33 PM
Doss wasn't a part of the Colts D last year, June is 208 lbs and was (in my opinion) the reason they gave up millions of yards rushing to teams like Jax.

Second round pick... yeah.... that's a weird one.

IIRC, Doss played in the first 4 or 5 games before going out for the season with a knee injury. When Saunders went down in mid-season, they didn't have an adequate backup for him. WR was thin, but the D is even thinner.

-Kevin

FTG
04-28-07, 09:38 PM
And this:

http://www.diamondcuttersintl.com/about_dci/images_about_dci/championship_rings/dallas_cowboys_small.jpg

And two more just like it.

dando
04-28-07, 09:46 PM
And this:

http://www.diamondcuttersintl.com/about_dci/images_about_dci/championship_rings/dallas_cowboys_small.jpg

Keep livin' in the past, homey. You prolly still believe Indy means what it once did. :tony:

-Kevin

jcollins28
04-28-07, 09:49 PM
And this:

Add two more.

Insomniac
04-28-07, 10:04 PM
Ginn > Quinn :eek: :rofl: LMAO :rofl: :saywhat:

I seriously thought Ginn could slip into round 2.

-Kevin

They lose Welker to NE for a 5yr/18.1M (9M guaranteed) deal and a 2nd and 7th rd pick, to take Ted Ginn at #9 overall (last years #9 got 12.1M guaranteed on a 5 year deal (I can't find the total amount)). Thank you Miami!

Insomniac
04-28-07, 10:09 PM
Pats get a pass on the character issue. Good pick if they need some heads stomped. :p

Some funny quotes from the PFT live blog:

Wow. So much for taking high-character guys.

Mort makes a good point; Bengals couldn't have gotten away with taking Meriweather. Pats can do it.

Adam Schefter points out that the addition of Quinn in round one gives the Browns one more year under his rookie contract than if he had fallen to round two.

Reader: "Good pick by the Pats. Rodney Harrison can chop 'em at the knees, and Brandon Meriweather can stomp 'em when they're down. It'll be like a WWE tag team."

Sean Salisbury apparently said regarding Meriweather's troubles that it was a "one-time incident in both cases." (And, after all, it's not like Meriweather has done something truly despicable like taking pictures of his penis with a cell phone and showing it to co-workers.)

Reader: "Salisbury thinks it is okay to commit crimes as long as you limit each type to one time only. So Meriweather still is allowed an assault and a rape, but if he were to stomp on someone again, that would be too much."

Reader: "Jeffrey Dahmer had several one-time incidents, too."
In their defense, they've brought in guys with questionable character in the past without a problem, so we'll see how it works out. They do have more than one person in their scouting department. ;)

Insomniac
04-28-07, 10:11 PM

They won the SB! Their offense >> defense approach works. :gomer: (And I'm perfectly happy with Polian believeing that.)

Easy
04-28-07, 10:50 PM
They won the SB! Their offense >> defense approach works. :gomer: (And I'm perfectly happy with Polian believeing that.)

They wonned the SB because they played Rex Cokeman. An NFL quarterback would have beaten the Colts in Miami.

dando
04-29-07, 11:17 AM
Jeebus! Moss to NE?!? :eek: As if I needed another reason to hate on the freaking Pats. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-29-07, 11:37 AM
Jeebus! Moss to NE?!? :eek: As if I needed another reason to hate on the freaking Pats. :saywhat:

-Kevin

They have way too many WRs now. Not that I'm complaining, they just said Moss ran a 4.29 40. :)

Reche Caldwell
Jabar Gaffney
Chad Jackson
Donte' Stallworth
Kelley Washington
Troy Brown
Wes Welker
Randy Moss

Insomniac
04-29-07, 11:39 AM
Ohh, I also enjoy this:

Seahawks Get 4th round, No. 124, 49ers Get WR Darrell Jackson
Raiders Get 4th round, No. 110, Patriots Get WR Randy Moss

Finally someone wants to win more than money and aren't over the hill. :)

Ankf00
04-29-07, 12:21 PM

cowgirls fans stuck in the past.

obviously you've forgotten you have one of Arkansas' finest acting as GM of that team.

WickerBill
04-29-07, 02:42 PM
They wonned the SB because they played Rex Cokeman. An NFL quarterback would have beaten the Colts in Miami.

Bears D couldn't stop Rhodes. Dominic Rhodes should pay half of his new contract to the Bears, because they made him look a lot better than he was. Grossman wasn't good, but he also wasn't good most of the year and they still won games. Better team won.... excuses don't flatter.

dando
04-29-07, 03:30 PM
They have way too many WRs now. Not that I'm complaining, they just said Moss ran a 4.29 40. :)

Reche Caldwell
Jabar Gaffney
Chad Jackson
Donte' Stallworth
Kelley Washington
Troy Brown
Wes Welker
Randy Moss

Moss & Merriweather...The Smoking Gun just opened a new bureau in Beantown. :p Too bad Dillon is gone, or they'd have the three bad attitude amigos. :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-29-07, 04:58 PM
Moss & Merriweather...The Smoking Gun just opened a new bureau in Beantown. :p Too bad Dillon is gone, or they'd have the three bad attitude amigos. :gomer:

-Kevin

Dillon was a model citizen. :D

Randy Moss put his money where his mouth is to come to New England. The wideout accepted a one-year deal worth $3 million, with $2 million in earned incentives. He had been due to make $9.75 million this year and $11.25 million next year.
:eek:

$21M -> $3M

dando
04-29-07, 07:29 PM
Dillon was a model citizen. :D

I didn't say his behavior was bad, just his attitude. :gomer:

-Kevin

skaven
04-29-07, 11:33 PM
The local team trades up in the 1st and 4th rounds to get to Gator d-linemen who both missed games in 2006 for smokin' weed. The 4th rounder (Marcus Thomas) was the best player on both sides of the ball for UF, but got kicked off the team for the rest of the season after the LSU-Auburn stretch. He got to watch his team on TV at the title game. If he has his head on straight, he'd be a great 4th rounder... but I don't know if he was worth trading next years 3rd, 6th and 7th round picks for him.

Gotta work out better than Maurice Clarrett and Darrent Williams though.

Chris Leak, undrafted MVP of the title game, gets to go to Chicago to be Rex's understudy... :rofl:

skaven
04-30-07, 12:38 AM
Lookout dando...

9 Gators were drafted - the most of any school. Can anyone guess who came in second again???

:confused:

you guessed it, Ohio State with 8 ! ! ! :D

:honk: :honk: :rofl:

Also, Earl Everett signs as a free agent in Cincy to continue his helmetless quest of the Sack of Troy (now a Raven backing up McNair for a year).

ferrarigod
04-30-07, 03:17 AM
Lookout dando...

9 Gators were drafted - the most of any school. Can anyone guess who came in second again???

Also, Earl Everett signs as a free agent in Cincy to continue his helmetless quest of the Sack of Troy (now a Raven backing up McNair for a year).

I wouldn't be excited about 3 of 9 being in the last round on compensatory picks. yea i know, troy smith was a 5th round compensatory pick, still better than chris leaks draft position.

cleveland should have gone with Troy, and they will pay for it in the future. neither team had good pix and i disagree with the ranking of all except teddy from both teams in the 1st round.

dando
04-30-07, 11:39 AM
Lookout dando...

Send me your address so I can send you a quarter so you can get a cup o' joe with that nugget of 411. *shrugs*

:gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
04-30-07, 12:02 PM
UT w/ 2 1st rounders again, current record for consecutive drafts

8 DB's in 6 years, 5 in the 1st. Mike Griff to Tennessee to reunite w/ VY, Scaife, and Hall. My boy Thrope Award winning Aaron Ross off to the Meadowlands. :cool:

nrc
04-30-07, 12:59 PM
Factoid: Craig Krenzel was drafted higher than Troy Smith. :eek:

I wonder how much poor play in his final college game will cost Troy. Not saying he was ever going to be a first rounder - the NFL wants 6-2, 220 minimum these days - but I'll bet he'd have gone in the 2nd or 3rd if he'd played well.

dando
04-30-07, 01:08 PM

I wonder how much poor play in his final college game will cost Troy. Not saying he was ever going to be a first rounder - the NFL wants 6-2, 220 minimum these days - but I'll bet he'd have gone in the 2nd or 3rd if he'd played well.

I also heard that there were issues with how he interviewed, and I know the agent he signed with ruffled some feathers. The $$$ they charged for his autograph se$$ions @ Cardboard Heroes was obscene, which was a direct result of his representation. :saywhat:

In any case, it's a good situation for him in Bmore. He should have an opportunity to fit in behind Boller, hopefully impress the coaches, Boller's time is up after this season, and then he can wait in the wings for McNair to finally retire. I wish him luck.

A quote from Peter Kings post-draft assessment on T. Smith:

7. I think I'd like to hear the defensive comments four years from now from scouts when they are asked to justify how Troy Smith went with the last pick of the fifth round. This isn't Charlie Ward, people. This is a guy who played at a high level until the last game of his college football career. And he goes 174th? I almost would call that irresponsible. Troy Smith went two picks after Legedu Naanee, for crying out loud. Smith's the same height as Drew Brees, people!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/04/29/draft/6.html

-Kevin

dando
04-30-07, 01:09 PM

8 DB's in 6 years, 5 in the 1st. Mike Griff to Tennessee to reunite w/ VY, Scaife, and Hall. My boy Thrope Award winning Aaron Ross off to the Meadowlands. :cool:

Most #1s all-time = The OSU. That's all I'm sayin', yo. :)

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-30-07, 01:21 PM

Bragging about where football factories get their guys drafted... :) (WVU, no one drafted. I thought Dan Mozes would be.)

Insomniac
04-30-07, 01:22 PM

Well, he at least got drafted as a QB instead of a WR which is saying something, I think. (Although the Eagles drafting a 3rd QB in Round 2...)

dando
04-30-07, 01:52 PM
Peter King's comments on the Moss deal:

2. I think -- and I need some more time to look into this over the next few days -- I find it hard to support Moss to the Patriots, regardless of how little they paid for him. And it's looking like they got the guy for an absolute song, though the exact money details haven't filtered out yet, except to say that ProFootballTalk.com has Moss getting either $3 million or $3.5 million in base salary in a one-year deal, down from the $9.25 million the Raiders owed him this year.

As we know, assuming there's not a signing bonus involved -- and ProFootballTalk.com says there is none -- the Patriots can basically have Moss on a five-month trial now, for free, because nothing he'll make is guaranteed until the first game of the season. But I'm still not sure this is right.

I'm about to get preachy/sappy. Even when the Patriots took a chance on guys like Corey Dillon, they were using roster spots on guys who were never accused of not hustling. To me, and to Bob Kraft, Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli, cheating the game is the worst crime a player can commit. Moss has done it regularly, going back to the infamous dogging it that Merril Hoge proved on ESPN years ago.

People around the Raiders had a major beef with Moss -- he regularly dogged it. I'm not going to kill the Patriots for this, because Moss might well turn into Pete Rose, and if he does, good for him. But this is not the kind of player the Patriots stand for. He can prove all of us doubting this trade wrong. But I can't help but think that, regardless of the outcome, the Patriots should have let someone else deal with his potential flameout. In their quest for the greatest offseason in the Cap Era (which the Patriots might have won before the Moss trade), I think New England went one step too far.

3. I think once you move to the pragmatic side of the deal, my guess is New England will be happy with Moss. Can he still play? We'll see, but he'll be tremendously motivated to play. His career's on the line. He's 30. He's entering his 10th year in the NFL. He mailed it in the last two years in Oakland. The most stunning stat of all the negative Mossisms is the man had one catch of 40 yards or more last year; he had 14 of those as a Viking rookie.

Moss was once a lock for Canton. Now he might be a lock to be football's version of Dwight Gooden, a great player who flamed out through nobody's fault but his own. But it's in his hands to be great again, with the best team he's ever been on.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/04/29/draft/5.html

Personally, I hate seeing @ssholes like this getting rewarded.

-Kevin

Ankf00
04-30-07, 01:56 PM
Bragging about where football factories get their guys drafted... :) (WVU, no one drafted. I thought Dan Mozes would be.)

well, one has my fav player, and the other is my fav team...

IlliniRacer
04-30-07, 02:00 PM
:saywhat: My Rams signed Drew Tate as a Free Agent

dando
04-30-07, 02:21 PM

Maybe he'll play DB? He's got experience tackling.... :D

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-30-07, 02:58 PM
Peter King's comments on the Moss deal:

Personally, I hate seeing @ssholes like this getting rewarded.

There are Bengals fans here, any of you recall Dillon quitting on you guys and refusing to re-enter a game?

People act like the Patriots don't touch these guys, ever. They forget about Brian Cox or Ty Law getting arrested running from the cops.

I certainly have my concerns about the on-field Moss (the off-field Moss has only been in trouble once). A guy who doesn't give his all every play does NOT seem like a Patriots type player. I presume they think either he won't be like that with people like Brady or Rodney Harrison on the team who won't hesitate for a second to rip into him for dogging it. Or maybe they're okay with it, because even if he is taking plays off, the defense doesn't know which ones. I certainly don't hope this is the case. I'd love to see the Moss from the first couple of years in Minnesota. But we'll see how it works out, the Patriots can cut him at any time. He's already saying the right things and by reducing his contract, he's doing the things that make one think he's serious.

Ohhh and Peter King thinks this:

Will your boycott of an alleged steroid cheat extend to confirmed cheats such as Shawne Merriman?''

No. Merriman was tested, caught, and suspended. Barry Bonds was not tested, not caught, not suspended ... for years.

Insomniac
04-30-07, 02:59 PM
well, one has my fav player, and the other is my fav team...

Just giving you a hard time man. :)

dando
04-30-07, 03:16 PM
There are Bengals fans here, any of you recall Dillon quitting on you guys and refusing to re-enter a game?

NRC can correct me, but I don't recall Dillon ever quitting on the Bengals, and he definitely wasn't as brazen in his dissing his coach and team as Moss has been. I just remember him tossing his equipment and uni into the stands after his last game as a Bengal. He had a few other Smoking Gun moments off the field over the years as well.

-Kevin

Ankf00
04-30-07, 03:25 PM

People act like the Patriots don't touch these guys, ever. They forget about Brian Cox or Ty Law getting arrested running from the cops.

I certainly have my concerns about the on-field Moss (the off-field Moss has only been in trouble once). A guy who doesn't give his all every play does NOT seem like a Patriots type player. I presume they think either he won't be like that with people like Brady or Rodney Harrison on the team who won't hesitate for a second to rip into him for dogging it. Or maybe they're okay with it, because even if he is taking plays off, the defense doesn't know which ones. I certainly don't hope this is the case. I'd love to see the Moss from the first couple of years in Minnesota. But we'll see how it works out, the Patriots can cut him at any time. He's already saying the right things and by reducing his contract, he's doing the things that make one think he's serious.

I agree with most of your take, but 2 things:

A) T.O said the right things as well last season, but he's still a fink

B) Trying to run over a police officer goes far beyond "only been in trouble once."

Andrew Longman
04-30-07, 03:57 PM
Trying to run over a police officer goes far beyond "only been in trouble once."

Don't forget throwing his girlfriend down a flight of stairs.

Andrew Longman
04-30-07, 03:59 PM

Yes, but your Rams drafted Brian Leonard one spot have the Giants could have.:saywhat:

You're going to absolutely love him.

Insomniac
04-30-07, 04:05 PM
NRC can correct me, but I don't recall Dillon ever quitting on the Bengals, and he definitely wasn't as brazen in his dissing his coach and team as Moss has been. I just remember him tossing his equipment and uni into the stands after his last game as a Bengal. He had a few other Smoking Gun moments off the field over the years as well.

He became disenchanted with the team, and that led to what seemed from afar to be constant griping from a guy no one could please. It came to a head Sept. 24, 2000, the day he did the unthinkable and walked off the field and refused to re-enter the game against the Ravens, an act people in Cincinnati say Marvin Lewis, now the Bengals' coach, never forgot even though he was on the other sideline at the time.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/04/20/this_was_a_hard_decision_but_its_worth_it/

In Cincinnati, playing was at times the last thing Dillon wanted. He once said he would rather flip burgers than suit up for the Bengals. One time he walked off the field during a game and refused to re-enter. He missed an entire game after he was in a traffic incident on the way to the stadium. In 1998, he was arrested and charged with DUI. Two years later, he was nailed with a domestic- assault charge.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20050204/ai_n9723883

dando
04-30-07, 04:09 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/04/20/this_was_a_hard_decision_but_its_worth_it/

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20050204/ai_n9723883

Must have been the decade+ I had that bag on my head. :(

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-30-07, 04:10 PM
I agree with most of your take, but 2 things:

A) T.O said the right things as well last season, but he's still a fink

B) Trying to run over a police officer goes far beyond "only been in trouble once."

I wasn't trying to minimize what he did, I was only saying he isn't a trouble maker off the field. I also don't want to excuse to explain what he did, so here it is from Wikipedia:

On September 24, 2002 in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota, Moss was driving and was preparing to do an illegal turn. A traffic control officer, noticing what he was about to do, stood in front of his car, ordering him to stop. Eyewitness accounts of the event differ at this point, but Moss didn't comply with the officer's order, and she was bumped by his vehicle and fell to the ground. Moss was arrested, and a search of his vehicle revealed a small amount of marijuana. Initially charged with Suspicion of Assault with a Deadly Weapon which is a felony and a misdemeanor marijuana possession, Moss pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor traffic violation, and was ordered to pay a $1,200 fine and perform 40-hours of community service.
Obviously, a very very stupid thing to do.

Also, comparing Moss to T.O., in my opinion is apples to oranges. Yes they are both WRs and have both been trouble in the locker room, but in different ways. Moss also said the right things when joining the Raiders, so I know it's not a definite all will be okay, but it's at least a start. I'm apprehensive and excited. I'm also glad they can cut ties at any time without hurting themselves.

Insomniac
04-30-07, 04:12 PM

I meant since joining the NFL. I spent the majority of my life in WV (when Moss was in HS and college) and know about all he has done at that time. Which is why he was dropped at ND and eventually kicked out of FSU and fell in the draft. Since 2002, Moss has kept out of trouble off the field. On the field, he has a long ways to go before he can change his perceptions.

Dr. Corkski
04-30-07, 04:40 PM
:saywhat: My Rams signed Drew Tate as a Free Agent:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

They couldn't convince Eric "Heisman" Crouch to come back?

Drew Tate sucks.

IlliniRacer
04-30-07, 05:07 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

They couldn't convince Eric "Heisman" Crouch to come back?

Drew Tate sucks.

Nope, or Steve Bellisari or Jeff Smoker :shakehead

nrc
04-30-07, 09:14 PM
Must have been the decade+ I had that bag on my head. :(

-Kevin

Dillon definitely had a few tantrums on the sidelines. I don't remember anyone ever saying that Dillon would take plays off while on the field.

Insomniac
04-30-07, 09:26 PM
Dillon definitely had a few tantrums on the sidelines. I don't remember anyone ever saying that Dillon would take plays off while on the field.

He just stayed off of it. ;)

Insomniac
04-30-07, 09:29 PM

Was just talking to some friends about this. Where did you get this info? They only (only?) recall him hitting (punching) her. That's what I vaguely remember my sophmore year in College when we all thought he was pissing away opportunities. (He was more highly regarded in Basketball in HS.)

Ankf00
05-01-07, 10:51 AM
dando's confusing memories of NU's finest, Lawrence Phillips

dando
05-01-07, 11:01 AM
dando's confusing memories of NU's finest, Lawrence Phillips

Uh, check the original post, holmes...Longman brought up the girlfriend tossing incident, not me. :irked:

The only incident of which I am aware that Moss had off the field was the cop bumping incident:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Moss#Controversy

Lawrence Phillips has a rap sheet as long as my johnson. and then some... :\

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-01-07, 11:54 AM
dando, Longman, meh, what's the difference? you're all yankees :p

:D

dando
05-01-07, 12:50 PM
dando, Longman, meh, what's the difference? you're all yankees :p

:D

Yes, but HE actually roots for the Yankees. :saywhat: :gomer: