PDA

View Full Version : GT2 Corvette?

NismoZ
04-26-07, 12:14 PM
Autoweek says Corvette "could" make the decision to step down to GT2 to race Porsche and Ferrari next season and race program mgr. Fehan says though there are no "plans" to do that "all the homework is done." What's that mean? Sounds like racing itself is not in the cards for more than one season and he hopes Aston Martin comes back, but what would a GT2 'Vette be like? Lighter and less powerful I assume? Less power than some of the street versions? That doesn't seem right somehow.

opinionated ow
04-26-07, 12:41 PM
i don't htink you could do it. it would have to be a clean sheet design, and even then i think you would struggle to get the car down to the porsche level.

extramundane
04-26-07, 12:57 PM
Autoweek says Corvette "could" make the decision to step down to GT2 to race Porsche and Ferrari next season and race program mgr. Fehan says though there are no "plans" to do that "all the homework is done." What's that mean? Sounds like racing itself is not in the cards for more than one season and he hopes Aston Martin comes back, but what would a GT2 'Vette be like? Lighter and less powerful I assume? Less power than some of the street versions? That doesn't seem right somehow.

One ran at Monza 2 weeks ago.

http://www.markland-racing.eu/image.asp?id=25484

For a few laps, anyway. 25hp less than the street version. I'm not saying P&M won't do it, but I'd rank it as likelihood #3, behind racing in Europe and not racing at all. They did give very limited assistance to Trinkler & Co for a GT2 (then called GT) Vette back in 2001 or so, but that car only lasted a couple rounds.

Astons of some sort should be back for the end of the ALMS season. Whether anyone will give a damn is another matter entirely.

i don't htink you could do it. it would have to be a clean sheet design, and even then i think you would struggle to get the car down to the porsche level.

Is 11 seconds slower than the fastest Porsche "down to porsche level" enough for you?

Wheel-Nut
04-26-07, 01:29 PM
Where are the Astons running this year? I don't follow sports cars series of any type but did notice they weren't at Houston this year.

My ears were happy they weren't there, between the 'vettes and the Panozs I left the track Saturday evening and my ears were hurting!! Not good . . . :shakehead

NismoZ
04-26-07, 01:29 PM
Exactly so... and seeing underpowered/overweight Corvettes getting tromped by 11 sec./lap doesn't sound like a good business move. Maybe GM should steal that idea from Ford and approach CC with a Spec Corvette companion race suggestion? Sort of a Porsche Cup idea with Corvettes!? A winner every race just like Honda!:) Could GM do 18 spec cars with ride buyers and 10 races for less $$ than an ALMS team and Le Mans effort? Just hate to see them drop out altogether or only race in Europe I guess.

extramundane
04-26-07, 01:49 PM
Where are the Astons running this year? I don't follow sports cars series of any type but did notice they weren't at Houston this year.

The factory team that ran ALMS last year is only officially running Le Mans this year, though they're rumored for the end of the ALMS season.

Wheel-Nut
04-26-07, 01:58 PM
Lizard Motorsports? I thought I saw them last weekend? I know I could look this up but I'm lazy today.

Edit: I looked it up. Lizard runs Porsches.

extramundane
04-26-07, 02:14 PM
Exactly so... and seeing underpowered/overweight Corvettes getting tromped by 11 sec./lap doesn't sound like a good business move. Maybe GM should steal that idea from Ford and approach CC with a Spec Corvette companion race suggestion? Sort of a Porsche Cup idea with Corvettes!? A winner every race just like Honda!:) Could GM do 18 spec cars with ride buyers and 10 races for less $$ than an ALMS team and Le Mans effort? Just hate to see them drop out altogether or only race in Europe I guess.

Well, the Markland Vette is a low-budget privateer effort; I suspect P&M would be a little more on pace. But unless Lou Giglotti's GT2 Vette materializes, I don't think we'll see one stateside anytime soon. P&M/GM are doing a good business selling off customer GT1 Vettes (just not to American teams), so I don't think they're too eager to kill the program yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do a Sebring/Le Mans/Spa 24/LMS/FIA-GT program next year.

Accipiter
04-27-07, 12:35 PM
If P&M build a GT2 car, it will be competitive. How could you think otherwise?

Sounds like a good idea to me. GT1 is a dead class anyway. Too expensive for privateers, and besides Corvette, no manufacturer interest.