PDA

View Full Version : Camera opinions, please

Indy
04-24-07, 08:29 PM
Since you guys are the biggest racing/tech geeks I know (besides myself), I would like your opinions.

I am going to buy two new digital cameras. One is for the wife to keep in her purse and use for snapshots. Bells and whistles are not needed, except for those that make better pictures of people. I have so far found the best option to be the Fujifilm Z5, which has face recognition and image stabilization, and can be had for about $220.

For myself, I am considering the Canon S3 IS, which can be had for about $320. I do want all of the bells and whistles, especially those which will allow me to be creative and shoot racing well. I am an experienced photographer who knows the ins and outs of shooting with 35mm, from full manual to program, both with and without autofocus. I considered going SLR, but the price is too high for a body plus decent lenses, and I am getting tired of lugging around the gadget bag (which I can still do with my film equipment, if I feel like it).

What do you think of these cameras, and would you point me in another direction? I appreciate your comments.

nissan gtp
04-24-07, 08:56 PM
I have a Casio Exilm 750 --- an excellent and tiny camera that I'd recommend without reservation. I also have a Nikon D70 and a bag of lenses, but the Caiso is pocket-sized, takes great pictures (and movies), and has decent optical zoom. It provide full manual control. Great LCD, and the software/menus are EXCELLENT.

The Nikon is much better for race photography, but the Casio is a good all-around, take it everywhere kinda camera.
The Canon DSLR's are also excellent BTW -- higher-end versions (above your starting price range ;) ) are great for motorports shooting.

The F Z5 sounds nice BTW, the image stabilization would be a great feature. Compare to Casios (http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/exilim/exilimzoom/) just for fun.

RichK
04-24-07, 09:05 PM
For your camera, check out the Canon S80 (http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_PowerShot_S80/4505-6501_7-31475440.html?tag=prod.txt.1). I have the older S30 version that's taken thousands of shots. It's just an awesome camera.

It has good reviews on CNET as well.

rosawendel
04-24-07, 09:12 PM
buy a camera made by a camera manufacturer (nikon, canon, pentax, etc), not an electronics manufacturer (sony, minolta, casio, etc). They tend to put more into the optics than the electronics. Optical performance is still better than digital performance.

I'm a nikon person (Made the jump from the pentax k1000 so many learned photography on to the N70, and now the D70s - one year old and already outdated), but you'll find people just as passionate about canon, leica, etc. If you do make the jump to an SLR (which I would reccomend), do your research well, as much of the componentry is forward compatible, which may keep you in a certain family for a while.

Opposite Lock
04-24-07, 09:22 PM
might be helpful:

http://www.dpreview.com/

I'm a Canon guy. :gomer:

dando
04-24-07, 09:28 PM
I just went through this decision as well, and consulted a friend of mine who is a professional photog. I thought going with the S3 was a good choice b/w a point and click and an SLR, but he advised going with a canon SD700/800 series and the Rebel XT over the S3 and a Nikon D70. I checked the reviews on dpreview.com and CNet, and ended up with the SD700 for the wife (love it and ~$250 refurbed), and I'm still debating on the DSLR. I'll most likely go with the Rebel XT once I find the best deal. FYI, you can get really good deals on refurbs if you look around the price comparison sites. I buy a ton of stuff as refurb, including this here laptop. :)

Like Rich, I had an S30 for years, and it worked great. I just thought that the SD700 had a better form factor, great features/performance, and larger LCD than the S series (for the missus).

BTW, there was a recent piece on CNet about cameras w/MPs >6 are a waste of $$$. I'll see if I can dig up the article.

Linkage: http://news.com.com/More+megapixels%2C+better+photos+Fact+or+fiction/2100-1041_3-6156398.html

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-24-07, 09:37 PM
I am an experienced photographer who knows the ins and outs of shooting with 35mm, from full manual to program, both with and without autofocus. I considered going SLR, but the price is too high for a body plus decent lenses...

Do you already have a lot of lenses? Sometimes you can use those on the new SLRs.

Insomniac
04-24-07, 09:41 PM
BTW, there was a recent piece on CNet about cameras w/MPs >6 are a waste of $$$. I'll see if I can dig up the article.

Linkage: http://news.com.com/More+megapixels%2C+better+photos+Fact+or+fiction/2100-1041_3-6156398.html

-Kevin

I think this definitely depends on the camera/chips. I read somewhere you need 14 MP to get the same detail as 35mm film.

Indy
04-24-07, 09:45 PM
For your camera, check out the Canon S80 (http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_PowerShot_S80/4505-6501_7-31475440.html?tag=prod.txt.1). I have the older S30 version that's taken thousands of shots. It's just an awesome camera.

It has good reviews on CNET as well.

Looks like the S80 is out of production. Now they have one called G7, which sort of looks like an old rangefinder (kind of cool, actually), but it features more megapixels but less optical zoom, which is a bad trade, IMO. I am guessing it is aimed at a more casual shooter, where the S3 is for dorks like me who don't want to pay for an SLR. And the G7 is an extra $170.

Indy
04-24-07, 09:48 PM
buy a camera made by a camera manufacturer (nikon, canon, pentax, etc), not an electronics manufacturer (sony, minolta, casio, etc). They tend to put more into the optics than the electronics. Optical performance is still better than digital performance.

I'm a nikon person (Made the jump from the pentax k1000 so many learned photography on to the N70, and now the D70s - one year old and already outdated), but you'll find people just as passionate about canon, leica, etc. If you do make the jump to an SLR (which I would reccomend), do your research well, as much of the componentry is forward compatible, which may keep you in a certain family for a while.

All my SLR stuff is Nikon, but the digital point and shoot I bought from them sucked something awful. No more of that for me.

nissan gtp
04-24-07, 09:49 PM
I think this definitely depends on the camera/chips. I read somewhere you need 14 MP to get the same detail as 35mm film.

based on my experience, that's nonsense.

doesn't mean you didn't see that somewhere :D

here's an interesting writeup (http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/a530.htm#same)

and $159 camera vs. $5,000 (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/150-vs-5000-dollar-camera.htm)

dando
04-24-07, 09:52 PM

Agreed. I believe I read that as well. I think the point is that the race to > MPs is reducing the quality...much like integrated video cards and PCs. :saywhat: IMHO, a better blend of CCDs and optics should improve quality @ < 14 MPs.

-Kevin

Indy
04-24-07, 09:56 PM
I just went through this decision as well, and consulted a friend of mine who is a professional photog. I thought going with the S3 was a good choice b/w a point and click and an SLR, but he advised going with a canon SD700/800 series and the Rebel XT over the S3 and a Nikon D70. I checked the reviews on dpreview.com and CNet, and ended up with the SD700 for the wife (love it and ~$250 refurbed), and I'm still debating on the DSLR. I'll most likely go with the Rebel XT once I find the best deal. FYI, you can get really good deals on refurbs if you look around the price comparison sites. I buy a ton of stuff as refurb, including this here laptop. :)

Like Rich, I had an S30 for years, and it worked great. I just thought that the SD700 had a better form factor, great features/performance, and larger LCD than the S series (for the missus).

-Kevin

I have made the decision to avoid the SLR's. Just too much jack right now, and my Nikon lenses are mostly old MF's, and even the AF's I have won't give full functionality to the new D bodies.

The SD800 is a good camera, and except for the short zoom, I would consider it for myself. But it is a little to large in size for the purse, a little to complicated, and a little too expensive. But I am still tempted. I like Canon, too.

And, yes, I agree megapixels mean little. I have seen 4 megapixel images that were brilliant, and some high megapixel cameras are lousy. I am probably a throwback, but to me it is all about the lens and the speed of the body.

Insomniac
04-25-07, 01:00 AM
based on my experience, that's nonsense.

doesn't mean you didn't see that somewhere :D

here's an interesting writeup (http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/a530.htm#same)

and $159 camera vs. $5,000 (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/150-vs-5000-dollar-camera.htm)

Don't those articles back that up? I never said you needed all the detail of 35MM film. :) Just pointing out what the equivalent supposedly is.

Insomniac
04-25-07, 01:16 AM
Agreed. I believe I read that as well. I think the point is that the race to > MPs is reducing the quality...much like integrated video cards and PCs. :saywhat: IMHO, a better blend of CCDs and optics should improve quality @ < 14 MPs.

-Kevin

Yup, I'm with you. I'm perfectly happy with 6 MP. More than enough for 8x10s. Don't need pictures the size of banners.

WickerBill
04-25-07, 05:54 AM
Hey Indy, I just bought the S3 IS for my travels, since my wife wouldn't give up the SD800is because she had "things to shoot". :shakehead

I love it. I'm no professional, or semi-professional, but this camera and its abilities have turned me into an enthusiast at the least. I also couldn't justify going all the way to a DRebel, but I'm very happy with the results I'm getting from the S3.

I bought the UV filter set for it and for outside shots it makes quite a difference.

I'd suggest www.buydig.com if you're buying online.

RusH
04-25-07, 07:42 AM
I`m about do go digital myself, good thing I`m still waiting to spend the money.
The Nikon D40x just came out.. and it can be had with a good lens with less than 500 smacks:gomer:
http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.aspx?prodid=901958

Indy
04-25-07, 10:38 AM
deleted

Methanolandbrats
04-25-07, 11:02 AM
First point, Ken Rockwell is an idiot.

Second point, if the price is too good to be true, it's probably a grey market import. That means Nikon won't fix it, you'll have to go through the seller's repair shop...good luck. Look for a NIKON USA WARRANTY, not a USA WARRANTY. Here are two reputable sellers, B&H in NYC and Central Camera in Chicago.

If you don't want an SLR, then make sure you buy a point and shoot with the shortest possible autofocus and shutter lag if you want to shoot anything that is moving. DP Review tests that too.

Indy
04-25-07, 11:46 AM
Second point, if the price is too good to be true, it's probably a grey market import. That means Nikon won't fix it, you'll have to go through the seller's repair shop...good luck. Look for a NIKON USA WARRANTY, not a USA WARRANTY. Here are two reputable sellers, B&H in NYC and Central Camera in Chicago.

If you don't want an SLR, then make sure you buy a point and shoot with the shortest possible autofocus and shutter lag if you want to shoot anything that is moving. DP Review tests that too.

That's why I deleted my post. I realized that the "bestpricecamera" site must be selling grey market stuff. I have had friends who did well with grey market equipment, but it is a big risk. If it breaks or fails, throw it away.

Also, I just refreshed my screen for the one I was considering, and the price went up $110. And the lens was NOT a Tamron, but some brand name I am not familiar with.

Buyer beware. :(

RichK
04-25-07, 12:31 PM
Looks like the S80 is out of production.

Wow, things move fast in the camera world. I may snap one up, since our S30 is getting old. We bought it when our daughter was born, and now she's 4-1/2 years old and dropping the camera regularly! :)

p.s. - I agree about buying from a camera company rather than electronics company (Canon/Nikon vs. Casio/Sony)

p.p.s - B&H Photo is a great online source

RusH
04-25-07, 12:59 PM
After a bit more investigating on that store Wickerbill is right...go with Buydig.com

bummer..still good prices at buydig though

Indy
04-27-07, 01:52 AM
I found a better purse camera for the wifey. The Nikon S50, which was just released. Despite my misgivings about Nikon point-and-shoots, this appears to be the class of the market, and my local shop has it for $250. It has real optical IS, which I learned is much superior to digital IS (all the Canon stuff is optical, too, but more expensive for the same features).

Still stuck on the Canon S3 IS for myself, but I am flirting with used digital SLR equipment, too. The main problem with any non-SLR is shutter lag, thus little chance of success at shooting sports in general, much less racing.

This is getting expensive. :saywhat:

cameraman
04-27-07, 02:09 AM

Tell me about it, he Leica that I am testing will set us back about $85K in its current configuration and I may have to bump it up a bit to get the job done:eek:

Kahauna Dreamer
04-27-07, 12:39 PM
I found a better purse camera for the wifey. The Nikon S50, which was just released. Despite my misgivings about Nikon point-and-shoots, this appears to be the class of the market, and my local shop has it for $250. It has real optical IS, which I learned is much superior to digital IS (all the Canon stuff is optical, too, but more expensive for the same features).

Still stuck on the Canon S3 IS for myself, but I am flirting with used digital SLR equipment, too. The main problem with any non-SLR is shutter lag, thus little chance of success at shooting sports in general, much less racing.

I've been using a Vivitar 3785 point-and-shoot for everything since September 2005...cost me maybe $110...I do the rest with Photoshop.

Ankf00
04-27-07, 12:49 PM
Tell me about it, he Leica that I am testing will set us back about $85K:

I believe this cinematic classic captured the essence of camera geeks best:

Is that a new camera?

It isn't just a camera, this is a Leica M7. Uber-sensitive exposure settings, legendary cloth shutter system.

Let me see that thing.

No can do. I spent four years tutoring lacrosse players to pay for it, so nobody touches my camera but me.

So it's like your wiener.

Yep! Huh? No... Jenny!!!

Leave him alone, Cooper.

:D