PDA

View Full Version : Split-Fire spark plugs

racermike
04-23-07, 05:11 PM
Whats with the hate I see come from many about these plugs?

At $4 a pop, is that the hate? Or are these things really as bad as what I hear all the time?

I have been gettin' the Ranger tuned up for the new year, and was planning on just getting the standard Autolite's and Motorcraft wires. At GIJoes here, they had a clearance sale on a ton of automotive hardware (brakes, plugs, shocks, etc), and was able to get the split fires on sale for $1 each (rather than 4).

The fact my Ranger takes 8 Spark Plugs (4 Ignition, 4 Exhaust), I decided to pull the trigger and buy these.

I have not installed them yet, so cant say whether or not I like them.

But would like a little more feedback from more experienced "wrenches" here.

Turn7
04-23-07, 05:20 PM
Get a tornado intake too. That combination of swirling wind and splitfire double grounded plug will get you better gas milage, more horsepower and make the engine run smother, cleaner and last forever. Nu-car wax will make it slippery reducing drag and you'll be able to wash it 52 times between waxings.

:D

racermike
04-23-07, 05:22 PM
Get a tornado intake too. That combination of swirling wind and splitfire double grounded plug will get you better gas milage, more horsepower and make the engine run smother, cleaner and last forever. Nu-car wax will make it slippery reducing drag and you'll be able to wash it 52 times between waxings.

:D

Also the Ricer Wing
the "R-type" decal
the underbody neon lights

Turn7
04-23-07, 05:25 PM
They are average plugs with a high price.

You didn't get ripped off at a buck a piece so I wouldn't worry about it.
If all things are in working order, then a plug is a plug is a plug. Longevity is really about the only thing the higher priced plugs get you. If you have fuel, air and spark you'll get a boom whether it is from a plug with a single ground or two, three or four.

SteveH
04-23-07, 05:29 PM
meh, this is all you need

http://www.slick50.com/gif/products/engntrtmnt.jpg

:p

racermike
04-23-07, 05:42 PM
meh, this is all you need

http://www.slick50.com/gif/products/engntrtmnt.jpg

:p

I do have that as well

So far, for the tune-up I have bought (not done anything yet)

- 8 Split Fire plugs
- Motorcraft Plug Wire set
- New Rotor/Cap
- New Thermostat
- New Air Filter
- New Fuel Filter
- Slick 50 Engine Treatment
- Valvoline High Mileage Engine Oil

Things done in last week
- Flushed radiator, refilled with Prestone
- changed out cooling hoses
- cleaned engine bay
- washed/waxed today

Things done in October
- New Carbon Metallic Brakes, front rotors
- New Firestone Tires

Things shopping for
-truck bed liner and/or canopy

I figure with tune-up with above parts, can boost my mileage 1-2 mpg, considering a lot of this has not been replaced in 30k miles.

I get around 20-21mpg highway now, not bad considering truck has 152k miles on it.

Rogue Leader
04-23-07, 06:30 PM
I'm sure the function perfectly fine as normal spark plugs. The problem was they were sued (and lost) in a class-action lawsuit a few years ago because they could not prove any of their performance gain claims. Not one of their claims holds true. I've heard other things like shoddy manufacturing as well but that just may be hearsay based on the lawsuit.

Whats with the hate I see come from many about these plugs?

At $4 a pop, is that the hate? Or are these things really as bad as what I hear all the time?

I have been gettin' the Ranger tuned up for the new year, and was planning on just getting the standard Autolite's and Motorcraft wires. At GIJoes here, they had a clearance sale on a ton of automotive hardware (brakes, plugs, shocks, etc), and was able to get the split fires on sale for $1 each (rather than 4).

The fact my Ranger takes 8 Spark Plugs (4 Ignition, 4 Exhaust), I decided to pull the trigger and buy these.

I have not installed them yet, so cant say whether or not I like them.

But would like a little more feedback from more experienced "wrenches" here.

WickerBill
04-23-07, 07:09 PM

Oh man, I had completely forgotten about that royal PITA on my Ranger. Ughhh.

Now I drive a Chevy.

sigh.

nrc
04-23-07, 07:13 PM
Oh man, I had completely forgotten about that royal PITA on my Ranger. Ughhh.

Now I drive a Chevy.

sigh.

You gonna make me bump a thread, Sparky? ;)

grungex
04-23-07, 07:16 PM
I do have that as well

So far, for the tune-up I have bought (not done anything yet)

- Slick 50 Engine Treatment

You're not seriously planning to put this stuff in your engine, are you?

BZSetshot
04-24-07, 09:38 AM
Found this. Don't know how true it is but it gives some interesting info. Guys in the know are welcome to confirm or deny what is said:

The Oil Additive Question (http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/legal/index.html)

Methanolandbrats
04-24-07, 10:22 AM
Miracle spark plugs? They are worthless. Buy Bosch or NGK coppers for a buck each and then change them when you change oil. You'll always have a reliable, hot spark for pennies.

Turn7
04-24-07, 10:30 AM
I can tell you what I do know about one particular oil additive. Polydyn TX7 was put into a jeep we were using at the hunting lease in south Texas. We were not staying at the lease but, in the nearest town at a motel 45 miles away.

On the backside of the 8000 acre ranch we busted the oil pan on a rock and had no other way back to town. No cell service is available down there. We decided that we would drive the jeep until it quit, at least we would be farther along than we were at the time.

Long story short, we made it all the way back to town, lifters rattling, driving slow keeping the rpms at a minimum. We fiberglassed the hole in the oil pan, filled it with oil, and still drive the jeep to this day without having to rebuild or replace the motor.

Were we lucky? Did the tx7 make that happen? I don't know for sure but, I put it in all of my vehicles after that.

My truck has 187K and the volvo has 108K without adverse issues. If it isn't helping, it isn't hurting either.

RichK
04-24-07, 12:48 PM
My engine builder friend has dyno tested just about every product like this (Splitfire, Nology, oil additives, etc.), and he's never seen a performance gain from any of these products.

indyfan31
04-24-07, 08:01 PM
I can tell you what I do know about one particular oil additive. Polydyn TX7 was put into a jeep we were using at the hunting lease in south Texas. We were not staying at the lease but, in the nearest town at a motel 45 miles away.

On the backside of the 8000 acre ranch we busted the oil pan on a rock and had no other way back to town. No cell service is available down there. We decided that we would drive the jeep until it quit, at least we would be farther along than we were at the time.

Long story short, we made it all the way back to town, lifters rattling, driving slow keeping the rpms at a minimum. We fiberglassed the hole in the oil pan, filled it with oil, and still drive the jeep to this day without having to rebuild or replace the motor.

Not to rubuff your story or anything, but I asked a friend of mine (who also rebuilds engines) about these additives. I pointed out a motor that was running as a demo after some additive had been put into it, then the oil drained and the pan removed. He said (like your experience) if you keep the revs down almost any engine will run without oil, additive or no additive.

grungex
04-24-07, 09:25 PM
if you keep the revs down almost any engine will run without oil, additive or no additive.

Yep.

The obvious question is, if these additives are so effective, why don't the oil manufacturers put them in the oil in the first place? Why don't the car manufacturers recommend them? PT Barnum would have loved this stuff...

RichK
04-25-07, 01:00 PM
Yep.

The obvious question is, if these additives are so effective, why don't the oil manufacturers put them in the oil in the first place? Why don't the car manufacturers recommend them?

Here are some good reasons:

Dupont, who invented Teflon, claims that "Teflon is not useful as an ingredient in oil additives or oils used for internal combustion engines."

and...

However, such solids seem even more inclined to coat non-moving parts, like oil passages and filters. After all, if it can build up under the pressures and friction exerted on a cylinder wall, then it stands to reason it should build up even better in places with low pressures and virtually no friction.

This conclusion seems to be borne out by tests on oil additives containing PTFE conducted by the NASA Lewis Research Center, which said in their report, "In the types of bearing surface contact we have looked at, we have seen no benefit. In some cases we have seen detrimental effect. The solids in the oil tend to accumulate at inlets and act as a dam, which simply blocks the oil from entering. Instead of helping, it is actually depriving parts of lubricant"

Don Quixote
04-25-07, 03:42 PM
Found this. Don't know how true it is but it gives some interesting info. Guys in the know are welcome to confirm or deny what is said:

The Oil Additive Question (http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/legal/index.html)

Nice web site. Thanks for the link.