PDA

View Full Version : Montoya to race Eldora?

opinionated ow
04-16-07, 12:23 PM
Rumours doing the rounds have former CART, Indy 500 champ and F1 GP winner Juan Pablo Montoya competing in the Prelude to the Dream at Eldora on June 6. Further to this, there are now claims that he will complete his conversion to Americanism with a deed pole change of his name to John Paul Montana. Apparently rumours that his hometown will be Columbus, Alabama are wide of the mark.

eiregosod
04-16-07, 01:33 PM
mentioned this during the Fox broadcast yesterday.

Johnny Montoya. :laugh:

Wheel-Nut
04-16-07, 05:18 PM
Doesn't Tony Stewart own Eldora now? Could be an interesting evening.

eiregosod
04-16-07, 07:52 PM

:laugh:

opinionated ow
04-16-07, 10:25 PM

yes he does. he just spent a heap of cash upgrading the place.

rabbit
04-16-07, 10:29 PM
Just got this email:

Nextel Prelude to the Dream Entry List Announced: Stewart, Gordon, & Montoya Highlight List

ROSSBURG, Ohio (April 16) – Eldora Speedway’s much heralded Nextel Prelude to the Dream has gained even more momentum with this week’s announcement of the participating talent, which will feature a lineup of no less than five former NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series champions.

Eldora’s owner, Tony Stewart, has announced that this year’s edition will take place on Wednesday, June 6. It will again be sandwiched between the June 2 World of Outlaws Built by The Home Depot event and the $100,000 to win Dirt Late Model Dream June 8-9.

Following the successful and highly popular format used each of the past two years, Stewart will welcome many of his Nextel Cup brethren and other racing notables for an evening of dirt track competition on the nationally recognized half mile clay oval. The talent will again be placed behind the wheel of fast and powerful Late Model race cars.

Headlining that list and making his first return to the dirt surfaced Eldora oval since 1991 is four-time Nextel Cup champion Jeff Gordon, driver of the No. 24 DuPont Chevrolet. In that visit to Eldora 16 years ago Gordon left victorious, as he won the Midget portion of the USAC Four Crown Nationals.

Stewart, with his long history of dirt track accomplishments – including last year’s Nextel Prelude trophy – will join Gordon as a former Nextel Cup champion. Recognized for his prowess behind the wheel of the No. 20 Home Depot Chevrolet fielded by Joe Gibbs Racing, Stewart will have to fend off the challenges from the impressive roster of drivers that includes a mixed bag of dirt track experience. Some of the drivers have Eldora roots, some are Nextel Prelude returnees and others will be on the Eldora high banks for the very first time.

Rounding out the list of former Cup Series champions who will compete in the Nextel Prelude to the Dream are Matt Kenseth (2003), Bobby Labonte (2000) and Bill Elliott (1988).

With impressive credentials as the 2005 Nextel Cup Rookie of the Year, Kasey Kahne will join this year’s mix of drivers. And while new to the event, Kahne is not new to Eldora . He has a 2003 All Star Sprint victory at Eldora on his ever-expanding resume. Also joining the Nextel Prelude field and making their Eldora debuts will be Juan Pablo Montoya, Clint Bowyer, Ray Everham, and Kyle Busch.

Also in the fold is inaugural Nextel Prelude to the Dream winner Kenny Wallace, veteran dirt racers Ken Schrader and Dave Blaney, and Nextel Prelude returnees Mark Martin, Kevin Harvick, Aric Almirola, Mike Wallace, Ryan Newman, JJ Yeley, Kyle Petty, Denny Hamlin, the ageless Red Farmer and drag racing standout Ron Capps.

Wearing his proverbial track owner hat, Stewart beams with pride when he reflects upon this event.

“The Eldora legacy is to go above and beyond for its loyal fans. The Nextel Prelude to the Dream carries on that tradition. Nextel has returned to partner with us, and with some of the best race car drivers in the world competing on the hallowed dirt of Eldora , it promises to be another memorable night.”

Stewart, hinting at even greater news in the coming weeks, stated, “Stay turned for a huge event-related announcement in a couple weeks and a list of additional star attendees.”

Tickets for the 2007 Nextel Prelude to the Dream, which sold out each of the past two years, are now available online at www.eldoraspeedway.com or by calling the track office (937) 338-3815.:cool::thumbup:

opinionated ow
04-16-07, 10:34 PM
i HATE late model racing, but that is an event I would go too.

rabbit
04-16-07, 10:41 PM

Yeah, I'd rather see him in the Old Spice Sprint Sizzler. But I may actually make the trip for the Prelude.

pchall
04-17-07, 08:20 AM
Sucks that JPM will only be in a Late Model and not a sprinter. Sucks even more that I won't be able drive up the road a bit and watch the fun. Well, not really, since on June 10 I'll be watching DTM at Brands Hatch and two weeks later at the Norisring. :D

rabbit
04-17-07, 09:01 AM
Sucks that JPM will only be in a Late Model and not a sprinter. Sucks even more that I won't be able drive up the road a bit and watch the fun. Well, not really, since on June 10 I'll be watching DTM at Brands Hatch and two weeks later at the Norisring. :D

Nancy boy. ;)

cart7
04-17-07, 10:38 PM

absolutely. :thumbup:

opinionated ow
04-17-07, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I'd rather see him in the Old Spice Sprint Sizzler. But I may actually make the trip for the Prelude.

if tony stewart and kasey kahne and j.j. yeley can get montoya to go and do the dirt track trail with them, that would be just awesome. that is one thing about those guys i have always respected. they have the saturday night off for a sunday race, so they go find some place to run a sprint or midget. that is cool:thumbup:

opinionated ow
06-07-07, 12:28 PM
Qualifying:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp_dYOM_MMg

Feature:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxJgJrPDQqM

rabbit
06-07-07, 04:29 PM
http://www.eldoraspeedway.com/weeklyphoto/07album3a/images/A0432.jpg

If a year ago you would have offered me a million-dollar bet.....

Cam
06-07-07, 04:42 PM
Ummm..... How TF is that a GTO? :saywhat:

emjaya
06-07-07, 07:03 PM
It takes ugly POS to a whole new level. :yuck:

oddlycalm
06-07-07, 09:03 PM
Yeah, mucho oogly, but I bet it was fun. Too bad they didn't run sprinters IMO.

oc

opinionated ow
06-07-07, 09:03 PM
http://www.eldoraspeedway.com/weeklyphoto/07album3a/images/A0432.jpg

If a year ago you would have offered me a million-dollar bet.....

he didn;t do a half bad job. didn't get to hot lap cause the car had issues. made his way up to 15th from the back of the feature. apparently he only found out where eldora was through web research! didn't even know how many gears a late model had!

rabbit
06-07-07, 09:09 PM
Qualifying:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp_dYOM_MMg

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by HBO

Feature:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxJgJrPDQqM

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by HBO
:irked:

opinionated ow
06-07-07, 09:28 PM
:irked: