PDA

View Full Version : ALMS should run shorter races...

jonovision_man
04-16-07, 10:02 AM
Seeing those kick-*** cars go toe-to-toe in a "sprint" (relatively speaking) in Long Beach was pretty awesome.

2h45 is just too long to keep my interest, and tends to end up separating cars by laps instead of seconds... 1h40 was perfect.

Keep the 12-hour races 12-hours, obviously 24 hours of Le Mans stays 24 hours, but 2h45 was never really long enough to be "endurance" anyway. Might as well shorten it to a more entertaining length!

jono

nissan gtp
04-16-07, 05:03 PM
see the Andretti team totally F-up race tactics was great :D

G.
04-16-07, 05:59 PM
Embarrassing, stupid question: Was the race on TV, and will it be replayed?:o

Gnam
04-16-07, 06:18 PM
1) Yes.
2) No.

schedule (http://www.americanlemans.com/Schedule/SeasonSchedule.aspx)

jonovision_man
04-16-07, 06:24 PM
Anyone know if Houston will be the same length (1h40?)

jono

oddlycalm
04-16-07, 06:27 PM
2h45 is just too long to keep my interest, and tends to end up separating cars by laps instead of seconds... 1h40 was perfect. Agreed, the cars have more endurance than my butt does.

oc

Wheel-Nut
04-16-07, 06:48 PM
Anyone know if Houston will be the same length (1h40?)

jono

5:30 PM - 8:15 PM Lone Star Grand Prix (ALMS Race)

cameraman
04-16-07, 07:17 PM
You do know that there are treatments available for ADD :shakehead

pchall
04-16-07, 07:29 PM
2 hours 45 min is only a long time when you're stuck in the bleachers.

But I do think that ALMS races would be a lot better if they had 200 mile sprints without driver changes. All P2 with no air restrictors. Screw the European endurance racing crapola unless the minimum race distance is 1000KM. How many ALMS teams actually wind up at the Sarthe Circuit in June anyhow?

jonovision_man
04-16-07, 08:02 PM
Agreed, the cars have more endurance than my butt does.

oc

LOL! :D

jono

jonovision_man
04-16-07, 08:04 PM
5:30 PM - 8:15 PM Lone Star Grand Prix (ALMS Race)

Oh. Too bad.

jono

Methanolandbrats
04-16-07, 10:15 PM
see the Andretti team totally F-up race tactics was great :D That was sweet. And what did Whiney Mikey say about it "I don't know". :D Clearly he is dating Tony George and they have become one on many levels.

opinionated ow
04-16-07, 10:53 PM
2 hours 45 min is only a long time when you're stuck in the bleachers.

But I do think that ALMS races would be a lot better if they had 200 mile sprints without driver changes. All P2 with no air restrictors. Screw the European endurance racing crapola unless the minimum race distance is 1000KM. How many ALMS teams actually wind up at the Sarthe Circuit in June anyhow?

the answer to the last part is quite a lot. the answer to the other part is why ruin an already great product?

FCYTravis
04-17-07, 12:33 AM
the answer to the last part is quite a lot.
Well, no, not really.

ALMS full-time teams going to Le Mans:

P1:
Audi x2 (duh)

P2:
<This space intentionally left blank>

GT1:
Corvette x2 (duh)

GT2:
Flying Lizard x1
Risi x2

So, a total of seven cars from four teams, two of which are basically the only teams in the entire class. Not a single North American P2 is making the trip across the pond.

opinionated ow
04-17-07, 12:47 AM
Well, no, not really.

ALMS full-time teams going to Le Mans:

P1:
Audi x2 (duh)

P2:
<This space intentionally left blank>

GT1:
Corvette x2 (duh)

GT2:
Flying Lizard x1
Risi x2

So, a total of seven cars from four teams, two of which are basically the only teams in the entire class. Not a single North American P2 is making the trip across the pond.
that is this year though travis. intersport and binnie and others all made the trek in the last couple of years. and one of the GT2 teams isn't going because they have severely damaged cars.

FCYTravis
04-17-07, 01:04 AM
and one of the GT2 teams isn't going because they have severely damaged cars.
I know Petersen/White Lightning had an entry but I think they withdrew because they lacked the funding for it. You're probably right in that writing off one of their cars probably didn't help that cash situation.

Fair use from DSC follows:
"Mike and I became concerned that the level of commitment to do a proper Le Mans program would draw too much away from our American Le Mans Series effort. Since our program here in the States is our first focus, we were not willing to risk it or willing to go to Le Mans with anything but the highest commitment to win."

"Level of commitment" = PRspeak for funding ;)

As for the others - yes, they did at one time. They're not this year - probably for the same reason as PWL. No bucks.

It's no small endeavor for a sports car racing team to pack everything up, ship it across the pond, run the test days, put the crew up for several weeks in hotels in France, fly them across and back, across and back... My guess is that you could run a fairly competitive full season in GT in some series for what it costs an American team just to run Le Mans.

ferrarigod
04-17-07, 03:18 AM
12 hours and 24 hours have been fine with me. After 24, 2:45 sounds like a quick drunkenness.

extramundane
04-17-07, 10:11 AM
that is this year though travis. intersport and binnie and others all made the trek in the last couple of years. and one of the GT2 teams isn't going because they have severely damaged cars.

Binnie's not an ALMS team.

opinionated ow
04-17-07, 11:52 AM
Binnie's not an ALMS team.

was though

extramundane
04-17-07, 12:54 PM
was though

Nope. Bill Binnie drove some for Intersport a few years back, but aside from occasional Sebring, Petit & Laguna appearances, Binnie Motorsports has been a LMS team.

RHR_Fan
04-17-07, 06:54 PM
2:45 isn't long at a track like Road America where you can walk around. My dad and I had a great time at the ALMS race there last year. However I can see if you are at a track like Long Beach where you sit in one spot for the entire race that almost 2:45 is a long time.

Kind of on topic, how long were the typical 500-miler races at Fontana and MIS?

~Nicole

cameraman
04-17-07, 07:04 PM
Fontana was 2.5 to 3.75 hours depending on the number of yellows.
Michigan was just under 3 hours.

jonovision_man
04-17-07, 09:06 PM
2:45 isn't long at a track like Road America where you can walk around. My dad and I had a great time at the ALMS race there last year. However I can see if you are at a track like Long Beach where you sit in one spot for the entire race that almost 2:45 is a long time.

At the track is a different story... I go to Mosport every year for ALMS, and it's like you said, you're up and around, not always paying attention. Sometimes BBQ'ing, sometimes drinking. I've lost count of how many times I got lost in the infield. :)

But you know, even there, I found the Speed WC races much more entertaining... the ALMS cars are so much better, but a couple hours in it's just cars doing laps, not really racing each other.

I guess that's the nature of endurance racing. But like I said, 2h45 isn't really endurance, but it's not really a sprint. Just a long race.

jono