PDA

View Full Version : please come race with us. Please?

G.
04-14-07, 11:42 AM
curt.cavin@indystar.com
Indy Racing League officials hope the price is right to attract even more participants to next month's Indianapolis 500 though the entry deadline has passed.

In promotional materials recently sent to about 50 potential team owners, including past participants and those currently involved in the Champ Car World Series, the IRL illustrates that equipment for the 91st-annual event can be acquired for as little as $321,200.
That doesn't include paying a driver or crew, much less the cost of food or lodging during the event, but the IRL's goal is to encourage people to join the crowd.
Currently, about 35 car-and-driver combinations are expected to compete for a spot in the May 27 race.

don't do it, Walker (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070414/SPORTS0107/704140468)

spinner26
04-14-07, 12:17 PM
Beggers!:thumdown: :shakehead :rolleyes:

What once used to be has be reduced to begging.:shakehead

Racing Truth
04-14-07, 02:33 PM
Beggers!:thumdown: :shakehead

What once used to be has be reduced to begging.:shakehead

Indeed. Pathetic, sad, disgusting, etc.:mad:

Beyond that, looks like, from our POV, a non-story, as I doubt any CC team does it.

devilmaster
04-14-07, 03:36 PM
I ranted about this maybe two years ago and I still don't understand...

why bother claiming you have a 'entry deadline date' if you don't bother following it?

2 years ago, they claimed in an article that, in this day and age of faxes and emails and such, that the entry had to be 'postmarked' by the due date and would be allowed if they got the entry even weeks after the due date. (never mind the fact that I don't believe that mail is usually that bad since most teams are in the Indy area. :laugh:

I understand its a tradition from the old days when you run what you brung, but now that they own the league you need to be in, just get rid of it, so you don't have to use stupid excuses like postmarks and barnhart.

And as for the PR campaign. Sad. Utterly utterly sad. People used to die to be in the race (literally). Now they're begging people to be in. :shakehead

dando
04-14-07, 04:20 PM
Pretty soon there will be an infomercial on becoming an Indy 497.5 team owner. :laugh: :gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

nrc
04-14-07, 04:26 PM
Deadlines are only a number, too.

Andrew Longman
04-14-07, 05:50 PM
Who this really screws are the small one off teams. When they could count heads and promise a sponsor they would be in the show no matter what, it was easier to get a Rachaels potato chip to sign up.

Now, at the last minute, TG is encouraging late entries, well geez thanks for putting the investment of the early birders at risk.

Other than to help print the program the deadline is only there to help teams measure their competition.