PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton hype

jonovision_man
04-12-07, 03:14 PM
Deserves it's own thread...

I think the guy has shown a lot of promise in his first few races, he's quick and seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

But it's getting out of hand...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-hinton13apr13,1,5149723.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

Tiger on wheels
April 13, 2007

Lewis Hamilton is more than Formula One's first black driver. We could be experiencing the arrival of a Tiger Woods on wheels.

Hamilton, 22, is off to the best start ever for an F1 rookie — ever, mind you, at the highest level of automobile racing in the world, in some serious historical company: Michael Schumacher, Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost, Jackie Stewart, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jimmy Clark ...

That's the best start ever for an F1 rookie...?

jono

Cam
04-12-07, 03:27 PM
F1 is getting early season midweek exposure in the LA Times. Beats the hell out of the weak coverage it normally gets from mainstream media in the US. Usually the media might wake up for the 2 weeks that the circus is on NA soil but the rest of the year coverage is non-existant. I will take it! :thumbup:

jonovision_man
04-12-07, 04:05 PM
True enough...

... but I can't help but feel it's excessive! The fact that he's a Brit already guaranteed a disproportionate amount of attention and praise. The comparisson to Tiger Woods could take the guy to Danica-like hype levels... I just hope he can back it up on track better than she did!

jono

Ankf00
04-12-07, 04:08 PM
I'd say 2 podiums in 2 races is more than she'll ever accomplish

Insomniac
04-12-07, 04:23 PM
You can't blame him for all the hype and gushing over him, but he's certainly living up to it IMO.

Cam
04-12-07, 04:30 PM
True enough...

... but I can't help but feel it's excessive! The fact that he's a Brit already guaranteed a disproportionate amount of attention and praise.

THIS is US press tho. I doubt that the LA Times gives a rat's arse that he is a Brit. I do like that LH is downplaying the hype and concentrating on getting the job done.

Gnam
04-12-07, 04:38 PM
So his only real faults are he isn't faster than the two time defending world champion, and people talk about him too much? What a dick. :gomer:

Maybe Juan's grandma could bring the McLaren home to a podium finish, but until that's proven the guy deserves credit for slinging that car around the track.

Just for comparison sake:

Rookie watch:
1. Heikki Kovalainen (top ten car)
2. Allmendinger (rockin' the back of the pack)
3. Graham Rahal (1 race, 0 laps)
4. Milka Duno (gonna be awesome!)
5. GoMindy (top 5 out of 8 cars)

Spicoli
04-12-07, 04:58 PM
Rookie watch:
1. Heikki Kovalainen (top ten car)
2. Allmendinger (rockin' the back of the pack)
3. Graham Rahal (1 race, 0 laps)
4. Milka Duno (gonna be awesome!)
5. GoMindy (top 5 out of 8 cars)

The word at *****forum is that AJA is lining up for a Penske seat at IRL after Hornballs goes Cabbin! :gomer:

personally I simply cannot wait for Milky Dunnos to take to IMS in a couple weeks. I'll be there with camera in tow. Should be epic. :thumbup:

jonovision_man
04-12-07, 05:03 PM
You can't blame him for all the hype and gushing over him, but he's certainly living up to it IMO.

Davidson has impressed... he looks great out there.

So did Kubica in his debut, so did Rosberg in early 2006, it happens almost every year. I remember when Webber was being compared to Schumacher..! Anyone still think that he's the next Schuey? :)

jono

nissan gtp
04-12-07, 05:51 PM
Hammy is good, but call me when he out-does Jack Villeneuve's 1996 rookie season at Williams ---

AUS 2
BRA Ret
ARG 2
EUR 1
SMR 11
MON Ret
ESP 3
CAN 2
FRA 2
GBR 1
GER 3
HUN 1
BEL 2
ITA 7
POR 1
JPN Ret

Let's evaluate the latest british superstar at the end of the season.

Insomniac
04-12-07, 07:01 PM
Davidson has impressed... he looks great out there.

So did Kubica in his debut, so did Rosberg in early 2006, it happens almost every year. I remember when Webber was being compared to Schumacher..! Anyone still think that he's the next Schuey? :)

jono

I'm not saying other people aren't doing well. But Hamilton was being gushed over before his first race and has 2 podiums in 2 races. Should've been second in Australia except McLaren screwed him over for Fernando. Point is, he's been hyped, and I'm not thinking it's just a media thing.

eiregosod
04-12-07, 07:53 PM
True enough...

... but I can't help but feel it's excessive! The fact that he's a Brit already guaranteed a disproportionate amount of attention and praise. The comparisson to Tiger Woods could take the guy to Danica-like hype levels... I just hope he can back it up on track better than she did!

jono

there was lots of Tiger Woods' hype before he won the US MAsters in 1997. par for the course :tony:

ITV were hyping Hamilton last year when he was winning in GP2. Hamilton has been solid and has a level head.

oddlycalm
04-12-07, 08:18 PM
Yeah, the hype is unfortunate and Hamilton doesn't need it. As nissan gtp points out young Lewis is not the first to arrive in F1 with race craft and enough push to land in competitive equipment and do well in season 1. Regardless, it was certainly fun seeing him school Massa in the opening laps.

IMO Kimi, Alonso and Hamilton are race drivers while Massa is a guy that can drive fast in the car. My suggestion to Massa would be to not get in Kimi's way too many more times.

oc

Cam
04-12-07, 08:30 PM
Another thing to add here oc. Lewis is I believe the first to ever have been groomed by a team principle from an extremely tender age.

Ron values his pilotes. He coddles them. Senna, Mika, Kimi. He wraps them with his embrace and gives them all they want (unlike Sir Frank). Lewis has been mentored by the finest in the sport since the age of 13.

Ron would not have called him up to the bigs unless he thought he was ready.He does not jeopardise his team like that.

Indy
04-12-07, 10:30 PM
Another thing to add here oc. Lewis is I believe the first to ever have been groomed by a team principle from an extremely tender age.

Ron values his pilotes. He coddles them. Senna, Mika, Kimi. He wraps them with his embrace and gives them all they want (unlike Sir Frank). Lewis has been mentored by the finest in the sport since the age of 13.

Ron would not have called him up to the bigs unless he thought he was ready.He does not jeopardise his team like that.

McLaren monkey. :saywhat:

Cam
04-13-07, 12:55 AM

In the world of auto racing there are worse things to be;... :rofl:

chop456
04-13-07, 06:30 AM
Another:

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1609725,00.html

I remember when Webber was being compared to Schumacher..! Anyone still think that he's the next Schuey? :)

He's not even the next Ralf. :D

emjaya
04-13-07, 08:49 AM
I remember when Webber was being compared to Schumacher..! Anyone still think that he's the next Schuey? :)

jono

YES I DO, DAMMIT. :flame:

:D

Not quite Michael, but better than Ralf. Webber really should have taken the Renault drive over Williams.
Two more years and he'll be in ALM with Ralf and Button.Speed will be in the cabs. :laugh:

Hamilton looks very smooth so far and the McLaren is good this year, which is just as important.

jonovision_man
04-13-07, 10:21 AM
Hammy is good, but call me when he out-does Jack Villeneuve's 1996 rookie season at Williams ---

AUS 2
BRA Ret
ARG 2
EUR 1
SMR 11
MON Ret
ESP 3
CAN 2
FRA 2
GBR 1
GER 3
HUN 1
BEL 2
ITA 7
POR 1
JPN Ret

... and Jacques would have won his first race in Oz if not for a mechanical problem... and he took the championship right down to the last race.

Of course, he'd already won the Indy 500 at that point, and the ChampCar title... so he wasn't as much of a rookie as most!

Who knows, maybe Hamilton will be standing on the top step this weekend and we'll be calling him 7-time WDC within a decade. Just funny how the media grab hold and hype the heck out of these guys, especially media who don't usually cover F1 taking notice. Kimi's debut was far more surprising, didn't get quite as much hype outside of F1 circles.

jono

Andrew Longman
04-13-07, 10:51 AM

Watch it. You might get Imused ;)

Today's Star Ledger in their typical few inches of racing coverage mentions that Hamilton could be the first F1 pilot ever to earn podiums in his first three races. Clearly this is a release coming from somewhere -- F1, McLaren, Hamilton himself, etc.)

jonovision_man
04-13-07, 10:54 AM
Heidfeld isn't impressed:

http://www.homeofsport.com/f1/news/item.aspx?id=18781

"90 per cent of all rookies were future world champions when they arrived, but the only way to see is to wait for what happens.

(he added... "for example, me! I was highly touted, now I can't get it done, no way I'm ever going to be champion!" ;))

"Lewis is doing a really good job, especially when you see that in the last race he did not make a mistake under the pressure of both Ferraris.

"But on the other hand you have to notice that (teammate Fernando) Alonso was quite clearly faster so far," Heidfeld said.

"Lewis has done a good job but no-one should forget about the guys who are ahead of him in the championship."

tllips
04-13-07, 11:44 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0704130041apr13,1,6659072.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Mr Hinton chimes in on this subject as well. Doesn't NASCAR have a race this weekend?

eiregosod
04-13-07, 12:18 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0704130041apr13,1,6659072.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Mr Hinton chimes in on this subject as well. Doesn't NASCAR have a race this weekend?

Hinton mentions Montoya's departure was the reason for the McLaren opening. if Schumi didn't retire there'd be Alonso & Raikonnen at McLaren this year.

jonovision_man
04-13-07, 01:17 PM
Hinton mentions Montoya's departure was the reason for the McLaren opening.

Hogwash... Montoya didn't have a seat in Maclaren whether he stayed in F1 or not. Red Bull was probably his only realistic option, which still would have allowed Hamilton to step up.

jono

eiregosod
04-13-07, 01:25 PM
Hogwash... Montoya didn't have a seat in Maclaren whether he stayed in F1 or not. Red Bull was probably his only realistic option, which still would have allowed Hamilton to step up.

jono

notquite hogwash,

Alonso was a given. Raikonnen depended on whether Schumacher retired or not. if Schumacher wasstill drivng for Ferrari, McLaren would have Alonso & Raikonnen

STD
04-13-07, 06:07 PM

Yep, After reading the Brit hype machine the last few years you'd think they still had a lock on a British WDC or two since 1996. :laugh:

RusH
04-13-07, 07:00 PM
Lewis Hamilton may be just 22 years old but the Hertfordshire born McLaren driver has already shown a skill and maturity way above his years. His first race in the premier league of motorsport was an object lesson in maturity and determination, even showing team mate Fernando Alonso a thing or two along the way. Hamilton's drive in Australia was in many ways reminiscent of the debut of the young Spaniard himself in its cool assurance. In other ways, the 18 year old Hertfordshire driver showed flashes of a youthful Michael Schumacher in his steely race craft and ferocious pace, belying his young years and humble background. But as I watched the talented 13 year old with baited breath - imagining that my cautious excitement was echoed all across his home county of Hertfordshire - I was also reminded of a boyish talent that had once wowed the F1 circus; I'm talking of course about the great Ayrton Senna. In many ways Hamilton is at least the equal of the late Brazilian maestro, although I think it's also not an exaggeration to say that in his maiden performance down under the bright 11 year old Hertfordshire star from the humble background also showed flashes of genius that immediately reminded old hands around the paddock of none other than the immortal Juan Manuel Fangio. Yet, even the old master himself might struggle to match the quiet confidence, the calm brilliance, the deceptive but ever present speed of the masterful 2 year old from the humble Hertfordshire background who, on that hot day in Adelaide, wowed the crowds and seasoned Formula 1 critics alike with a performance that was quite simply like nothing we have seen since another young hopeful first came onto a scene not dissimilar to that of international motorsport many, many years ago, going by the name of Jesus Christ. Yes, Lewis Hamilton has undoubtedly assured a ready place in the F1 firmament of stars, he is the future of this sport and the future of Britain and I love him and I want to hold him and kiss him and take care of him and feel his lovely short hair and his lovely strong arms and I want to touch him and caress him and one day I want to have his beautiful babies. At least until he makes a mistake later in the season, then I might change my mind.

© All British motorsport coverage since the first Grand Prix:gomer:

nissan gtp
04-13-07, 07:35 PM
Lewis Hamilton may be just 22 years old but the Hertfordshire born McLaren driver has already shown a skill and maturity way above his years. His first race in the premier league of motorsport was an object lesson in maturity and determination, even showing team mate Fernando Alonso a thing or two along the way. Hamilton's drive in Australia was in many ways reminiscent of the debut of the young Spaniard himself in its cool assurance. In other ways, the 18 year old Hertfordshire driver showed flashes of a youthful Michael Schumacher in his steely race craft and ferocious pace, belying his young years and humble background. But as I watched the talented 13 year old with baited breath - imagining that my cautious excitement was echoed all across his home county of Hertfordshire - I was also reminded of a boyish talent that had once wowed the F1 circus; I'm talking of course about the great Ayrton Senna. In many ways Hamilton is at least the equal of the late Brazilian maestro, although I think it's also not an exaggeration to say that in his maiden performance down under the bright 11 year old Hertfordshire star from the humble background also showed flashes of genius that immediately reminded old hands around the paddock of none other than the immortal Juan Manuel Fangio. Yet, even the old master himself might struggle to match the quiet confidence, the calm brilliance, the deceptive but ever present speed of the masterful 2 year old from the humble Hertfordshire background who, on that hot day in Adelaide, wowed the crowds and seasoned Formula 1 critics alike with a performance that was quite simply like nothing we have seen since another young hopeful first came onto a scene not dissimilar to that of international motorsport many, many years ago, going by the name of Jesus Christ. Yes, Lewis Hamilton has undoubtedly assured a ready place in the F1 firmament of stars, he is the future of this sport and the future of Britain and I love him and I want to hold him and kiss him and take care of him and feel his lovely short hair and his lovely strong arms and I want to touch him and caress him and one day I want to have his beautiful babies. At least until he makes a mistake later in the season, then I might change my mind.

© All British motorsport coverage since the first Grand Prix:gomer:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jonovision_man
04-13-07, 08:03 PM
notquite hogwash,

Alonso was a given. Raikonnen depended on whether Schumacher retired or not. if Schumacher wasstill drivng for Ferrari, McLaren would have Alonso & Raikonnen

You're absolutely correct, Schumacher's retirement lead to Hamilton driving.

But Hinton says Montoya was. He's wrong.

But Hamilton still might be waiting in the pipeline of the McLaren-Mercedes system if not for an ironic twist to what NASCAR considered its greatest coup yet toward driver diversity: the defection of Colombian star Juan Pablo Montoya from F1.

The most monumental aspect of Montoya's move may turn out to be that it left a seat open at McLaren: the one Hamilton has filled so dazzlingly.

jono

jonovision_man
04-14-07, 12:58 PM
Qualifies 2nd... ahead of Alonso...

TIGER WOODS OF RACING!!! :eek: ;)

When are they going to start Hammy-proofing racetracks? :)

jono

eiregosod
04-14-07, 01:42 PM
You're absolutely correct, Schumacher's retirement lead to Hamilton driving.

But Hinton says Montoya was. He's wrong.

jono

;) I think Hinton (or the editor) had to get the typical NASCAR slant on the article , hence the inclusion of Montoya reference.

We'll see how the fuel strategies play out tomorrow.

Methanolandbrats
04-14-07, 02:06 PM
Hinton is a f'n idiot. Monty left because he was gonna get fired for sucking and he knew a big check from Floyd for crashing cabs was better than a 50% chance of becoming the next Coulthard.

Insomniac
04-14-07, 02:48 PM
Qualifies 2nd... ahead of Alonso...

TIGER WOODS OF RACING!!! :eek: ;)

When are they going to start Hammy-proofing racetracks? :)

jono

What's the equivalent in racing to Tiger Woods smashing his club into a tree? It's sad to think at this point in F1 that would mean a front runner trying a somewhat difficult pass that might result in a collision.

Now PT has a lot of "f--- it" moments and just goes for it like Tiger did.

Indy
04-14-07, 03:57 PM
Watch it. You might get Imused ;)

Well, I was referring to Cam.

Is this why I got a call from Al Sharpton demanding $100,000 in unmarked bills in a brown paper bag?

mueber
04-14-07, 05:16 PM
Hamilton is the best story in auto racing right now. He's been flawless so far. I think he deserves every bit of the coverage he's getting.

Would you rather they hype fat, middle aged NASCAR drivers?

Cam
04-14-07, 05:21 PM
Well, I was referring to Cam.

And I have been a McLaren monkey for the better part of 2 decades! :D

eiregosod
04-14-07, 07:29 PM
Hamilton is the best story in auto racing right now. He's been flawless so far. I think he deserves every bit of the coverage he's getting.

Would you rather they hype fat, middle aged NASCAR drivers?

The McLaren team physician says that Hamilton is a top-olympic standard athlete. whatever that means.

Ankf00
04-14-07, 08:56 PM
And I have been a McLaren monkey for the better part of 2 decades! :D

werd up. f the haters

jonovision_man
04-15-07, 09:14 AM
Hamilton 2nd... beats Alonso, most importantly.

And now tied for 1st place in the championship... with Massa & Alonso...

jono

Jag_Warrior
04-15-07, 12:38 PM
Well, he's no Danica Patrick, but he's doing OK, I guess.

Jokes aside, I think this is one of the most entertaining starts to an F1 season in a looooong time.

Insomniac
04-15-07, 01:18 PM

Jokes aside, I think this is one of the most entertaining starts to an F1 season in a looooong time.

I think on paper. For the most part, the actual race today (at the front) was a parade.

oddlycalm
04-15-07, 04:13 PM
Anyone betting that he'd be intimidated or make mistakes has already lost their money. Regardless of how he came to F1 or how people feel about the hype the reality is that Hamilton in a three way tie for the WDC with Kimi and Alonso three races into the season.

oc

jonovision_man
04-15-07, 06:24 PM
I think on paper. For the most part, the actual race today (at the front) was a parade.

Depends what you call a parade... the front-runners were within shouting distance of each other most of the race, a few on-track position changes (favourite: Heidfeld's pass on Alonso, sweeet)... a few pit stop position changes.

F1 could do worse! And has.

jono

eiregosod
04-15-07, 06:49 PM
the top ten finished on the lead lap. no one is able to pull out 20 seconds over the guy behind them. makes for nervous startegy.

perhaps this was due to the fact that all the teams had tested at Bahrain a few months ago.

Insomniac
04-15-07, 06:52 PM
Depends what you call a parade... the front-runners were within shouting distance of each other most of the race, a few on-track position changes (favourite: Heidfeld's pass on Alonso, sweeet)... a few pit stop position changes.

F1 could do worse! And has.

jono

I'm only referring to the front, where the majority of the focus is during the broadcast. Aside from the start and some peaks by Kimi on Alonso, no one in the top 4 even tried to make a move. All the passing (Kimi on Alonso) was done in the pits.

I forgot about the Heidfeld pass on Alonso.

There was definitely a lot of action in the middle between the Toyotas, Williams, Red Bull and Renaults. That was fun to watch.

jonovision_man
04-15-07, 06:53 PM
I'm only referring to the front, where the majority of the focus is during the broadcast. Aside from the start and some peaks by Kimi on Alonso, no one in the top 4 even tried to make a move. All the passing (Kimi on Alonso) was done in the pits.

I forgot about the Heidfeld pass on Alonso.

There was definitely a lot of action in the middle between the Toyotas, Williams, Red Bull and Renaults. That was fun to watch.

For sure... Trulli and the two Williams were scrapping for a half dozen laps, too bad the director missed most of it! But what he did catch was awesome.

jono

RaceCat
04-16-07, 12:16 AM

Hey, that's where I'm at on this. I'm just LOVIN' this. I actually think the kid is really good and it's making watching the races extra fun for me.

(been away for a while but had to post this one.) :)

RaceCat

Tedminator
04-17-07, 07:25 AM
Hammy is good, but call me when he out-does Jack Villeneuve's 1996 rookie season at Williams....

Yeah, all that on top of Newtown's biggest contribution to F1.. that of now having every F1 driver use the term 'fersure' :gomer:

edit re Hamilton. My generation of F1 drivers to cheer for has pretty much ended with MS, so for me it's nice to have this kid to watch develop along with the others of this younger generation.

Fried
04-17-07, 04:16 PM
hamilton hype?

totally justified.

mapguy
04-18-07, 07:05 AM
Raikonnen depended on whether Schumacher retired or not. if Schumacher wasstill drivng for Ferrari, McLaren would have Alonso & Raikonnen

No. Raikkonnen was signed by Ferrari looonggg before the '06 season started. As equal status to whomever was in the other Ferrari. Hence Schumacher's retirement. It was classic Ferrari in-fighting of the late eighties/early ninties between the Todt/Schumacher camp and Montezumolo(sp?). Montezumolo had Raikkonnen under contract and Schumacher was still negotiating his for '07. The pointy-chinned, dirty cheating bastard wasn't too keen on having the Iceman getting equal treatment at Ferrari.

Insomniac
04-18-07, 07:44 AM
No. Raikkonnen was signed by Ferrari looonggg before the '06 season started. As equal status to whomever was in the other Ferrari. Hence Schumacher's retirement. It was classic Ferrari in-fighting of the late eighties/early ninties between the Todt/Schumacher camp and Montezumolo(sp?). Montezumolo had Raikkonnen under contract and Schumacher was still negotiating his for '07. The pointy-chinned, dirty cheating bastard wasn't too keen on having the Iceman getting equal treatment at Ferrari.

That makes no sense. No one was going to do better than Schumacher in a Ferrari.

mapguy
04-18-07, 08:15 AM
That makes no sense. No one was going to do better than Schumacher in a Ferrari.

Schumacher is 10 years older than Raikkonnen.

As for no one doing better than Schumacher in a Ferrari. His contract didn't allow for it.

I'll try and dig up the article.

Ankf00
04-18-07, 10:51 AM

woobens and swirvine constitute all of "no one?"

Insomniac
04-18-07, 12:04 PM
Schumacher is 10 years older than Raikkonnen.

As for no one doing better than Schumacher in a Ferrari. His contract didn't allow for it.

I know his contract called for it and he was given preferrential treatment, do the detriment (at times) to his teammate. However, I don't think any of his teammates would've been consistently better than him if they had equal equipment. Ferrari, I would like to think at least, wants to win, and making those concessions to Schumacher were what they needed to do to keep him there winning.

Also, my point was more directed at the "Kimi was signed before 2006 started" part. I don't believe Ferrari signed him before they knew Schumacher was done, and vice versa. I doubt Kimi signed before he knew Schumacher was done.

Insomniac
04-18-07, 12:06 PM
woobens and swirvine constitute all of "no one?"

The team was fully geared around Schumacher. I just don't think they forced him out. I didn't see any indication that he couldn't still win for them.

jonovision_man
04-18-07, 12:41 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6566719.stm

"It's too early to analyse but if the trend continues there is no reason why he could not become the greatest driver ever," Whitmarsh told the Guardian.

"What I'm seeing so early in this man's career is remarkable."

Three-time champion Sir Jackie Stewart has already said he thinks Hamilton could go on to become champion in his first season, and team owner Frank Williams has described him as "superhuman".

Whitmarsh added: "Since I joined McLaren in 1989 I've worked with a lot of great drivers, including [Alain] Prost, [Ayrton] Senna, Mika Hakkinen and now Fernando Alonso with Lewis - and I think it's pretty clear Lewis ticks all the necessary boxes," added Whitmarsh.

jono

cameraman
04-18-07, 01:01 PM
My God. He is a very good driver but these people have lost their minds:shakehead

Fried
04-18-07, 01:58 PM
ok, maybe "superhuman is a bit much.:D however, if it were just mclaren sycophants and the british press, then we could ignore it. but frank williams has been around the sport forever and is not prone to be expansive with his praise.

jono, you the text you bolded in the first quote is not the MOST salient part of that quote:

"It's too early to analyse but if the trend continues there is no reason why he could not become the greatest driver ever," Whitmarsh told the Guardian."

there, that's better.

as for the second quote:

"Three-time champion Sir Jackie Stewart has already said he thinks "Hamilton could go on to become champion in his first season, and team owner Frank Williams has described him as "superhuman". "

what about the part i highlighted is inaccurate.

jonovision_man
04-18-07, 02:02 PM
ok, maybe "superhuman is a bit much.:D however, if it were just mclaren sycophants and the british press, then we could ignore it. but frank williams has been around the sport forever and is not prone to be expansive with his praise.

jono, you the text you bolded in the first quote is not the MOST salient part of that quote:

"It's too early to analyse but if the trend continues there is no reason why he could not become the greatest driver ever," Whitmarsh told the Guardian."

there, that's better.

as for the second quote:

"Three-time champion Sir Jackie Stewart has already said he thinks "Hamilton could go on to become champion in his first season, and team owner Frank Williams has described him as "superhuman". "

what about the part i highlighted is inaccurate.

I didn't say anything was inaccurate. I'm just a little stunned that 3 races in anyone is musing about a guy possibly being the best driver ever... how about we wait until the kid at least wins a bloody race?

Jacques looked just as stunning in his debut, almost won the championship in 1996, then did in 1997... didn't qualify him as the best ever, he followed it up by torpedo'ing his career.

jono

Gnam
04-18-07, 03:20 PM
I believe this is the article mapguy is referring to:
http://www.f1i.com/content/view/6909/1/

Who knows if it's true?

oddlycalm
04-18-07, 03:42 PM
There are aspects of all this happy talk that deviate with reality IMO.

Young Lewis faces a completely different competitive landscape than Schumacher did. There is no doubt that he is a force to be reckoned with but with Alonso in the other McLaren and Kimi in the Ferarri he doesn't exactly have a cakewalk ahead of him. They are young enough to be around 10yrs from now.

When MS had to face top drivers in equal equipment during the beginning and end of his career it wasn't a cakewalk for him either. Many of his WDC's came against grids that weren't equal to the job.

oc

Cam
04-18-07, 06:24 PM
When MS had to face top drivers in equal equipment during the beginning and end of his career it wasn't a cakewalk for him either. Many of his WDC's came against grids that weren't equal to the job.

oc

'zackley...

Lets see.... At the peak of his carreer Schu had....... Mika....

Really that was it... If Mika and McLaren had a bad season, it was a one sided borefest.

Ankf00
04-19-07, 12:19 AM

oc

how dare you blaspheme the son of Shiva... I mean, Shiva himself...

eiregosod
04-19-07, 12:37 PM
Hammie Hype & a week of excuses for the rest

http://www.f1i.com/content/view/7072/1/

no mention of Massa, who did the job after everyone was saying how crap he was in malaysia.

it all feels like a pr0n mag discussion :tony:

oddlycalm
04-19-07, 07:20 PM
how dare you blaspheme the son of Shiva... I mean, Shiva himself... Narain....:thumbup: :D

Seriously, we never actuall know how good he is. I doubt Williams would have kept him if he wasn't doing the job. Scoring a string of 11th and 12th place finishes isn't the stuff of headlines but in that Jordan it was no cakewalk.

oc

Jervis Tetch 1
04-22-07, 12:28 AM
Ham's the Man :thumbup:

oddlycalm
04-23-07, 02:35 PM
how dare you blaspheme the son of Shiva... I mean, Shiva himself... Must not have had enough sleep with my initial reply....:gomer: Cam had it right and yes I dare. :D It certainly took a lot of work by MS and Ferrari to get where they were but during the years when Mika was the only real competition the actual on-track challenge was pretty feable when compared to Prost and Senna or today's grid.

oc

jonovision_man
09-16-07, 01:11 PM

The "greatest driver ever" is looking pretty not "superhuman" these days.

Alonso seems to be in his comfort zone now, he's been the quicker of the two lately.

Was it a question of Alonso having to get up to speed with the McLaren?

Or has Hammy become distracted with all the spy stuff?

Or feeling pressure now that there are expectations on him?

Or is the teammate battle with Alonso weighing on him?

Either way... hype has cooled off significantly.

jono

STD
09-16-07, 03:10 PM
Alonso no longer has to share his car setup.

jonovision_man
09-16-07, 06:16 PM
I'd be surprised if that's true... they're a team in disarray, but they're still a team.

I was just watching Tiger Woods win by eight strokes, and I'm reminded of when he hit the scene and was winning everything, followed by a bit of a lull... now he's back. :thumbup:

jono

oddlycalm
09-16-07, 06:43 PM
I'd be surprised if that's true... they're a team in disarray, but they're still a team.

I was just watching Tiger Woods win by eight strokes, and I'm reminded of when he hit the scene and was winning everything, followed by a bit of a lull... now he's back. :thumbup: Yep, I wouldn't imagine McLaren will miss a beat.

On Woods; making 72ft. putts and holing a pitch out of the sand is something pros do once in a while, but he was doing that kind of thing on successive holes this weekend and last. I don't normally watch golf but everyone owes themselves at least a look at the highlight reels, which for Woods was just about every hole he played this weekend and last. And at 31 he's just entering his prime....:eek:

Whether Hamilton is a similar talent is yet to be seen, but it's possible. Rookie seasons don't get much stronger. We'll likely know by the end of the 2009 season, but at this point it's simply too early to say.

oc

jonovision_man
09-16-07, 07:06 PM
Agreed... I don't watch golf either but wow...

A lot of drivers hit the grid with a splash and leave with a wimper. Look no further than Jacques Villeneuve... pole position on his first race, almost won the thing if not for mechanical gremlins, then takes the championship to the very last race of the season!

Follows it up by winning the championship.

Wow, that kid will be one of the greatest drivers of all time!

Or not. Torpedoes career, has problems keeping up with lackluster teammates by the end and disappears with a whimper...

Webber was compared to Schumacher in his first season, now nobody notices the guy. Kubica hit the grid with a bang, now he's considered good, but great? We'll see. Heidfeld went from champion-in-waiting to second-to-Kimi in one season. Button lit it up at Williams, then stunk for a season at Renault before returning to competence at BAR.

Too early to know. Too much hype too soon, and it might be part of his current trouble.

jono

Jervis Tetch 1
09-16-07, 07:11 PM
I think Lewis will be all right. He's going to live up to the hype. I think he's done it already.

devilmaster
09-16-07, 07:44 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6997815.stm

Lewis Hamilton has accused McLaren team-mate Fernando Alonso of unfair driving during the Belgian Grand Prix.

Hamilton was upset the double world champion forced him off the track as they disputed third place at the start.

"He has gone and swiped me and pushed me as wide as he could," said Hamilton. "I was just really lucky there was a run-off area so I could take that."

Asked if he thought the move was hard but fair, the 22-year-old Briton said: "I wouldn't say fair, but it was hard.......

.......Hamilton also questioned Alonso's loyalty to the McLaren team after a testing week.

The Spaniard opted to travel to Spa instead of attending the 'spygate' hearing in Paris, where McLaren were handed a £50m fine and stripped of their constructors' points.

Hamilton, on the other hand, travelled to France to show his support for the team.

"It's been a tough week, for sure a lot tougher week for me than for Fernando because... I won't say any more," he said.

"I feel more attached to the team, I guess, and I care a bit more."

jonovision_man
09-16-07, 07:57 PM
I agree with him. Alonso's move was fine if that was a Ferrari he was pushing off the track, but you don't do that to a teammate. :thumdown:

jono

Spicoli
09-16-07, 08:27 PM
So what IS the latest on Fred? there was talk they were going to release him, but I didn't heard anything on the b-cast....any guesses what happens to him?

RusH
09-16-07, 08:43 PM
Maybe todays pictures are a clue :\

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?S=F1&E=Belgian_GP/Sunday_pre-race&Y=2007&O=0

STD
09-16-07, 09:01 PM
"It was absolutely fine," he said.

"They weren't too aggressive, and they're racing drivers, that's what they do.

"No one would blink at it if they were opposing teams.

"They didn't touch each other, it's motor racing, no problem. You get used to it."

Ron Dennis

jonovision_man
09-16-07, 09:01 PM
Lewis Hamilton talking to Rosberg? :D

F1 is a pretty small group really, I'm not surprised if they shoot the **** with each other from time to time. Alonso to Red Bull would be jaw-droppingly stupid of him.

jono

stroker
09-16-07, 11:25 PM
Lewis Hamilton talking to Rosberg? :D

F1 is a pretty small group really, I'm not surprised if they shoot the **** with each other from time to time. Alonso to Red Bull would be jaw-droppingly stupid of him.

jono

Betcha he goes to Toyota. :)

Jag_Warrior
09-17-07, 04:24 AM
Alonso no longer has to share his car setup.

His setups or his Ferrari notes?

Insomniac
09-17-07, 10:03 AM

I was just watching Tiger Woods win by eight strokes, and I'm reminded of when he hit the scene and was winning everything, followed by a bit of a lull... now he's back. :thumbup:

jono

They didn't share Ferrari info with Hamilton. :)

STD
09-19-07, 12:28 PM
His setups or his Ferrari notes?

:eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

eiregosod
09-19-07, 01:30 PM
Fred, the new Fangio?

Jump from team to team and win the WDC?

STD
09-19-07, 01:35 PM
That would be interesting. :D

RichK
09-19-07, 01:36 PM
Maybe todays pictures are a clue :\

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?S=F1&E=Belgian_GP/Sunday_pre-race&Y=2007&O=0

This one?

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/2007/bel/f1-2007-bel-xp-1968.jpg

Spicoli
09-19-07, 01:40 PM
i'm not sure whether she is hot or scary.

RichK
09-19-07, 01:41 PM

:laugh: That was my exact impression as well.

jonovision_man
09-19-07, 04:14 PM

Is it just me or does she have a shrunken head?

jono

meadors
09-19-07, 08:47 PM

That part does not matter.
I think the guy in the camera is filming her best feature from the look on his face.

Indy
09-20-07, 09:35 AM

jono

She has very broad shoulders, which makes makes me think she is a bit man-ish. :saywhat:

Spicoli
09-20-07, 01:11 PM
Hammy's sis?:saywhat:

Spicoli
09-30-07, 03:18 PM
$110m for the next 5 years @ McLaren? :eek:

$22m a year. **** that's 1m + per race! (expenses paid of course)...

EDwardo
09-30-07, 04:55 PM

Relax. I think she is scary hot!

And those knee pads and elbow pads makes her kinky scary hot!