PDA

View Full Version : Laptop issue

Sean O'Gorman
04-09-07, 06:48 PM
Two years ago, my laptop got 3+ hrs of battery life. Now it gets one. And its hot as hell.

Why?

RichK
04-09-07, 06:53 PM
Your battery is dying. :)

Stuff from one side of the battery is growing towards stuff from the other side of the battery. As these things grow, they start to electrically short out the battery and run it down prematurely.

Get a new battery.

pferrf1
04-09-07, 07:11 PM
I always order a second battery when I buy my laptops to avoid this issue. I rotate them every few weeks and it gives me the opportunity to have a spare on hand to take with me on longer trips.

indyfan31
04-09-07, 07:51 PM
SOG. If you're going to buy a replacement battery, don't buy anything rebuilt or refurbished. I don't know if the cells they use are poor quality or something else, but they produce shorter cycles and shorter lifespans.
Get one from the original manufacturer or make sure the OEM you're buying is NEW.

B3RACER1a
04-09-07, 07:53 PM
Most laptop batteries are Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer. Either way, they start going south after a bunch of cycles. Just get a new one.

extramundane
04-09-07, 08:21 PM
Two years ago, my laptop got 3+ hrs of battery life. Now it gets one. And its hot as hell.

Why?

Spite.

Spicoli
04-09-07, 11:01 PM

Why?

Get a new one. The kind with a plug.

devilmaster
04-09-07, 11:04 PM
Spite.

:rofl:

Andrew Longman
04-10-07, 07:35 AM
If it happens to be a Dell, my wife had a similar issue with her Dell and called tech support. They sold her there was a recall issue with the laptop (not the battery) that was effecting the battery. They sent her a fedex both to return it and it came back in a few days. FWIW

It would have been nice to tell her before the battery went toast

ChampcarShark
04-10-07, 10:43 AM
Guess the only solution is to buy a new battery.

I got a refurbished for a laptop once and it lasted as long as an ice cream cone in the hot summer. Get a new battery.