PDA

View Full Version : Fueling?

Spicoli
04-08-07, 06:58 PM
nice work CCWS. Who'sa ass is fired over that guffaw? :p :laugh:

oh, and ECUs and onboards and....

Spicoli
04-08-07, 07:43 PM
wow. did anyone else even watch the race? or did we argue about ohio state and michigan and baseball.:gomer:

:shakehead

Kiwifan
04-08-07, 07:52 PM
If you were at Smack and not here I would tell you "FU". ;) No, I didn't watch the bloody race, I can't! Been scouring the web for video clips and did see qualifying Highlights on Eurosport RU on Freetube but that's all I could find. Asked at CCF what happened to Halliday but got no reply then the ADSL dropped for two hours. :flame:

Go back to Smack and I'll tell you how I really feel! :)

Hope you all enjoyed the race.

Take care, Rusty.

spinner26
04-08-07, 07:52 PM
I was told not to bother they were not going to answer the bell and Steve Johnson was being fired and..................:rofl:

Nice layout, pretty lame re: fueling issues.

Bridgestone says they'll have a better tire next year, assuming there is one.

Junky looked okay in the Coyne car, Sebastian looked like well, he didn't have a good day.

Will Power jumped the green hence he beat PT to the checkers.

MSU won the NCAA Ice Hockey Championship, Zach Johnson won the green jacket, it friggin cold out, what else????????????

TravelGal
04-08-07, 08:14 PM
Rusty, I was watching the race and I don't know what happened to Halliday. As pressdog might say, "Not my business I'm a just viewer. But we have 24 different camera angles. My viewing experience is enhanced."

As for the fueling, I'm heading over the Smackforum to read the opinions. It's probably the only time I'll agree with whatever language is used there.

[nice] words fail me.

The Doctor
04-08-07, 08:15 PM
Halliday hit the wall on the start... and was interviewed during the race. Apparently I was the only one who heard it? :saywhat:

Tifosi24
04-08-07, 08:30 PM
Halliday hit the wall on the start... and was interviewed during the race. Apparently I was the only one who heard it? :saywhat:

You were not the only one.

Kiwifan
04-08-07, 08:35 PM
Thanks Team. Been watching SKY NEWS Australia and not a word on Will Power. Sigh. Might have to go back to Russian Eurosport. :) Anyone speak Russian? Lol.

Oh, thought about RD, tried their demo and it was pretty choppy. :( Think I'm just too far away.

Cheers, Rusty.

Cam
04-08-07, 09:37 PM
Oh, thought about RD, tried their demo and it was pretty choppy. :( Think I'm just too far away.

Nahhhh.... The single T1 that connects NZ to the rest of the world was clogged with traffic watching the Masters. :D ;)

TravelGal
04-09-07, 01:21 AM
Thanks Team. Been watching SKY NEWS Australia and not a word on Will Power. Sigh. Might have to go back to Russian Eurosport. :) Anyone speak Russian? Lol.

Cheers, Rusty.

I wonder if slingshot would work for you? You know, one of us is watching the race and slings it to you? Or does that mean we cannot be watching it at the same time? Just a thought for you techies out there.

astinus4
04-09-07, 01:25 AM

Cheers, Rusty.

Don't know about Sky News Australia, but Fox Sports News has been showing an interview with Power and footage from the race all day. :thumbup:

Kiwifan
04-09-07, 01:34 AM
Cool! You know I'd never support an Aussie, but, this guy deserves it. ;) Still remember SB taking him out last year at our corner. I might flick SKY News a quick email, can't hurt.

Take care all and TravelGal, remember to wear Dark Glasses and take an Open Mind if you go visiting other sites. Some of the boys can be a bit rude. :)

Hesketh
04-09-07, 06:01 AM
As for the fueling, I'm heading over the Smackforum to read the opinions. It's probably the only time I'll agree with whatever language is used there.

[nice] words fail me.

Been discussed here and there. The fueling cells were barely done in time to ship to Vegas: many problems, many problems.

astinus4
04-09-07, 08:30 AM

Cheers, Rusty.

FYI, Sky News Australia just covered Power's win in their late night news update...;)

opinionated ow
04-09-07, 08:34 AM
having been out of touch all day. what a joke. so amateurish. this is worse than club racing. it is absolutely piss poor. a race should not be decided by design flaws.

Andrew Longman
04-09-07, 08:39 AM
What i understood was the cells weren't venting properly. New cells were sent Wednesday and Thursday and required an 11 hour retrofit by the teams. So what happened? The new cells didn't vent either? What are the chances there will be yet another retrofit in time for LB? Strange this was not an issue during testing.

Spicoli
04-09-07, 08:48 AM
What i understood was the cells weren't venting properly. New cells were sent Wednesday and Thursday and required an 11 hour retrofit by the teams. So what happened? The new cells didn't vent either? What are the chances there will be yet another retrofit in time for LB? Strange this was not an issue during testing.

I think on several p-stops no fuel even went in at all. Hesketh's right, these problems were apparent last week and should have been addressed.

although I am not sure what could have been done. :\

Andrew Longman
04-09-07, 08:52 AM
Sure Spic, but I think that's why they sent the retrofits, except the new design didn't work either. Just seems odd. How much innovation is needed? Panoz knows how to design a buckeye/vent system because they have one for the IRL spec. What's so different about the DP01 that they needed a different design and a design so different that it doesn't work? Just curious.

opinionated ow
04-09-07, 09:09 AM
Sure Spic, but I think that's why they sent the retrofits, except the new design didn't work either. Just seems odd. How much innovation is needed? Panoz knows how to design a buckeye/vent system because they have one for the IRL spec. What's so different about the DP01 that they needed a different design and a design so different that it doesn't work? Just curious.

and what i don't get is how they could have had such a problem when the lola designers designed this car!

pferrf1
04-09-07, 10:25 AM
Wouldn't this have been spotted at the open tests...or did all the teams use the 'gas pump' type refuelling system.

There is no doubt this car has been rushed into action.

Accipiter
04-09-07, 10:41 AM
The fuel filling problem and the fact that the starters don't yet work in race conditions are dissapointing problems that should have been worked out in the testing phases last year.

Otherwise, we got a good race on a damn good new track.

DagoFast
04-09-07, 11:27 AM
It's really incredible to believe that in 2007 the age of Sigma Six quality and ISO standards, that the billionaire business men who own and direct Champ Car would not have stringently tested all their equipment in private before attempting to sell it to the public.

It's not so hard to believe from their billionaire inheritor competitor.

What's saddest is the small groups of both core users that not only accept two lousy products, but still defend them.

My inner race fan ID has finally been trumped by my customer EGO.

cameraman
04-09-07, 12:46 PM
and what i don't get is how they could have had such a problem when the lola designers designed this car!

The Lola was an absolute disaster when it first hit the track.
You have some seriously rose colored hindsight going on.

Cam
04-09-07, 01:16 PM

The catch cans didn't arrive from Charlotte in time. :gomer:

pferrf1
04-09-07, 05:19 PM
Been discussed here and there. The fueling cells were barely done in time to ship to Vegas: many problems, many problems.

You mean the fuel cells that have been in the cars since testing started, or the race fuelling rigs in the pits needed to be retooled somehow?

Kiwifan
04-09-07, 08:55 PM
FYI, Sky News Australia just covered Power's win in their late night news update...;)

I saw that. Flicked them an email about 5pm NZ time asking why a Kiwi was looking for a news clip about an Aussie winning. Said "you have been rabbiting on about Webber (getting nowhere) and yet an Aussie wins a race and yet there's nothing?" Very unAustralain like. ;)

Back on topic, I have trouble enough filling my car let alone a race car but surely someone should have fueled the cars in anger before raceday?

Rusty.

nz_climber
04-09-07, 10:02 PM
rusty check your PM's

opinionated ow
04-10-07, 12:51 AM
You have some seriously rose colored hindsight going on.

no, you misunderstood me. my point was that the people who designed the last lola champ car designed the crap panoz one. those people should surely have learnt their lessons by now. i don't remember there being lola refuel issues though.

ferrarigod
04-10-07, 01:07 AM
no, you misunderstood me. my point was that the people who designed the last lola champ car designed the crap panoz one. those people should surely have learnt their lessons by now. i don't remember there being lola refuel issues though.

go check the history on the lola. if you have already, re-read and comprehend this time.

cyclepath
04-10-07, 02:39 AM
You mean the fuel cells that have been in the cars since testing started, or the race fuelling rigs in the pits needed to be retooled somehow?

Fuel cells yes, however, they have been missing the internal vent. prototype was at Laguna and production one showed up in Vegas.

cameraman
04-10-07, 10:17 AM
So when is vent v1.1 due to arrive?

DagoFast
04-10-07, 11:19 AM
^^^ Probably after race 3.0

cameraman
04-10-07, 11:42 AM
So is it impossible to fully install/unfold the current fuel cell or is it just almost impossible?

Did anyone get one installed correctly or did some teams just realize the problem sooner and short fill around it the entire race?

oddlycalm
04-10-07, 08:28 PM
You have some seriously rose colored hindsight going on. Right, and for that matter how many race cars in history were problem free during their first race ? As I recall the Swift did the opposite and won it's first race followed by a long string of subsequent disapointments. :gomer:

I'm not trying to defend CCWS as they seem all over the place at the moment, but new car issues are almost guaranteed at the first race.

oc

Hesketh
04-11-07, 05:23 PM
cameraman: So when is vent v1.1 due to arrive?

DagoFast: Probably after race 3.0.

:rofl:

(It wouldn't be so funny if it wasn't so true to life.)

opinionated ow
04-11-07, 08:29 PM
go check the history on the lola. if you have already, re-read and comprehend this time.

you still aren't listening. Panoz made a big deal that the designers of the last Lola Champ Car were the same ones that designed the Panoz one.Those guys should have learned the lessons that went with the problems with the Lola and how to fix it. If they haven't as appears to be the case then they should be disappointed with themselves.

Also, as this is a spec chassis supplied to everybody, that nobody is allowed to modify, the car should be perfect. Can you imagine the uproar if Wimbledon had "spec" tennis racquets and half the players got ones that were thicker framed on one side than the other?

eiregosod
04-11-07, 09:01 PM
Right, and for that matter how many race cars in history were problem free during their first race ? As I recall the Swift did the opposite and won it's first race followed by a long string of subsequent disapointments. :gomer:

I'm not trying to defend CCWS as they seem all over the place at the moment, but new car issues are almost guaranteed at the first race.

oc

Reynard won their first race, they went well until they mixed it with BAR-dna.

Insomniac
04-12-07, 08:57 AM
you still aren't listening. Panoz made a big deal that the designers of the last Lola Champ Car were the same ones that designed the Panoz one.Those guys should have learned the lessons that went with the problems with the Lola and how to fix it. If they haven't as appears to be the case then they should be disappointed with themselves.

Also, as this is a spec chassis supplied to everybody, that nobody is allowed to modify, the car should be perfect. Can you imagine the uproar if Wimbledon had "spec" tennis racquets and half the players got ones that were thicker framed on one side than the other?

A ChampCar is a little more complex than a tennis racquet.

All of the blame here also does not fall on Panoz. ChampCar teams had 3 separate test sessions before the season started to find issues like this and they didn't. I seriously doubt the problem just appeared after the Laguna test.

Andrew Longman
04-12-07, 09:29 AM
Reynard won their first race, they went well until they mixed it with BAR-dna.

Didn't Swift win their first Champcar race with Michael Andretti? Less success later

eiregosod
04-12-07, 09:42 AM
Didn't Swift win their first Champcar race with Michael Andretti? Less success later

yup, IIRC 1997 Homestead.

Jag_Warrior
04-14-07, 08:35 PM
It's really incredible to believe that in 2007 the age of Sigma Six quality and ISO standards, that the billionaire business men who own and direct Champ Car would not have stringently tested all their equipment in private before attempting to sell it to the public.

It's not so hard to believe from their billionaire inheritor competitor.

What's saddest is the small groups of both core users that not only accept two lousy products, but still defend them.

My inner race fan ID has finally been trumped by my customer EGO.

I doubt there's a Black Belt or MBB to be found at Champ Car HQ. And if I'm not mistaken, EMT only recently received their ISO cert. But none of that excuses either group for the fueling fiasco. Considering the safety aspect of that system, you'd think that's the ONE thing they'd be certain to get 100% correct.