PDA

View Full Version : To HD or not HD?

Spicoli
04-06-07, 03:40 PM
We are not in HD this weekend, right?

And even though the broadcast is being shown on the NBC HD channel, its not a true HD unless they have the HD cameras, right?

:confused:

cameraman
04-06-07, 03:48 PM
It is not HD.
If you use an HDTV you will just get a converted standard picture.
Stretched out of shape if you are one of those people who can't stand black bars on the side of the picture:shakehead

If you have a digital televison the SDTV picture will be much better than the old analog NTSC picture.
SDTV is not HD, it is just better than NTSC.

gpflepsen
04-06-07, 04:05 PM
Stretched out of shape if you are one of those people who can't stand black bars on the side of the picture:shakehead

[cheap HDTV buyer] I have to stretch the screen so I won't get burn in on my screen!!![/cheap HDTV buyer]

Hey cheap HDTV buyer, (you saved a ton of money)

For that monstrosity of a TV/Living room monolith you have[thought you'd be the envy of the neighbors)

This Bud Light's for you (your neighbors don't want to come over to watch stetch-o-vision even though you bought the beer)

Ankf00
04-06-07, 04:35 PM
strechovision... ugh.

:flame:

Rogue Leader
04-06-07, 05:55 PM
I installed HDTVs in my firehouse and people always put it on stretch so it "fills the screen" yeah but it looks like shiznit!

I also cant stand that some people after 4 months still cant figure out that there is a reason when you turn the cable box oon it goes to the HD channels first and just switch straight to the standard channels.

Insomniac
04-06-07, 07:51 PM
[cheap HDTV buyer] I have to stretch the screen so I won't get burn in on my screen!!![/cheap HDTV buyer]

Hey cheap HDTV buyer, (you saved a ton of money)

For that monstrosity of a TV/Living room monolith you have[thought you'd be the envy of the neighbors)

This Bud Light's for you (your neighbors don't want to come over to watch stetch-o-vision even though you bought the beer)

It's really only plasma where it's not the best idea to always have bars on the sides. And they are far from cheap.

Insomniac
04-06-07, 07:52 PM
Ohh, use Zoom. They cover half the screen with the scroll anyway.

gpflepsen
04-06-07, 08:37 PM
It's really only plasma where it's not the best idea to always have bars on the sides. And they are far from cheap.

I'd bet there are more three gun CRTs out there than plasmas. They have been cheap for the past four years. I haven't seen too many recently in the stores though.

DLP, LCoS, LCD are all very good displays being had for very reasonable prices.

Plasma? meh.

Insomniac
04-06-07, 11:48 PM
I'd bet there are more three gun CRTs out there than plasmas. They have been cheap for the past four years. I haven't seen too many recently in the stores though.

Plasma? meh.

That would be pretty old HDTV to have CRT used for the RPTV. And it certainly wasn't cheap at that time.

Meh to plasma? Have something against black levels and colors?

Chief
04-07-07, 12:14 AM
SD? Screw NBC, I'll hook my RaceDirector feed to my HDTV and have commercial-less programming w/ international audio. :)

Rogue Leader
04-07-07, 03:00 AM

Plasma? meh.

Meh Plasma? Come check out my 42 inch Samsung that looks better than (and has better black levels and doesn't have the refresh issues of LCDs) Sony LCD panels, then say meh....

And before we get an education (on a racing forum no less) I used to sell these things and I still run a side business installing them with surround sound setups.

PS the whole Plasma burn in problem is on old plasmas, current models do not have those same issues. Heck I play PS2 on mine with no problems at all.

Insomniac
04-07-07, 08:06 AM
PS the whole Plasma burn in problem is on old plasmas, current models do not have those same issues. Heck I play PS2 on mine with no problems at all.

I don't think the phosphors are up to the same level as CRT. I agree burn-in is a non-issue unless you abuse the TV when you first get it and use it with the contrast way up. Image retention is definitely still an issue in my opinion. On my CRT, I wouldn't think twice about leaving a news channel running all day (like CNBC), but would try and protect the plasma by changing the channel for a few mins every hour or 2. I don't mean that would damage it, but that scroll would be sort of "visible" until you ran some type of program to "clean" it.

Spicoli
04-07-07, 08:23 AM
TV smac k. gotta love it.

http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/banana064.gif (http://www.smileyvillage.com)

Brian_R
04-07-07, 11:25 AM
SD? Screw NBC, I'll hook my RaceDirector feed to my HDTV and have commercial-less programming w/ international audio. :)

gotta love the ways to get your PC easily onto a HDTV, whether it's DVI, HDMI->DVI, or VGA, it's always nice for those online video events :)