PDA

View Full Version : Gil-I don't know what the hell he's talking about.

cart7
05-01-03, 08:25 AM
According to Gil in USA Today regarding PT's TC statements,
Quote:
"When we were at Honda together, I never used it. So I don't know what the hell he's talking about"

RTKar
05-01-03, 08:31 AM
Must be the blows to his head.:shakehead

Chief
05-01-03, 10:41 AM
Hmmm, doesn't paint a pretty picture for the ol' captain does it?? Gil wasn't with Penske in '94 was he? :p

And of more interest is why Mr. Penske hasn't weighed in on this contrived "controversy". Now THAT would be some journalism.

rabbit
05-01-03, 11:42 AM
"When we were at Honda together, I never used it. So I don't know what the hell he's talking about"
Ha! Whatever Gil. :rolleyes: I heard you and Helio's engines going ptptptptptptptptptptptptpt coming out of the keyhole at Mid-Ohio. It couldn't have been a misfire because you guys were running away from the field.

Turn7
05-01-03, 11:46 AM
That wasn't tc taking over Rabbit, Gil had some lessons on how to feather the throttle by the well known IRL star, DONNY BEECHLER, that is "just that good".

JoeBob
05-01-03, 11:48 AM
Maybe he's talking about when PT drove a Honda for TKG, and Gil drove a Honda for Walker and/or Penske?

They certainly were never teammates. I'm thinking Gil is just learning from one of PT's other mistakes - being honest while speaking about the car in public while employed by Roger Penske. Thats a quick way to find yourself on the unemployment line.

Chief
05-01-03, 12:00 PM
Gil's just trying to keep his arms from being detached the Penske way.

sundaydriver
05-01-03, 12:17 PM
How the hell would Gil know what went on at Pimpski in the early nineties???

datachicane
05-01-03, 07:17 PM
Wait just a freakin' minute. Let me get this straight...

1. Paul sez Penske had TC when Paul drove for him.

2. Penske ran Ilmor/Chevy and Ilmor/Benz during the years Paul drove for him.

3. Paul never drove a Penske-Honda.

4. Paul didn't say anything about TC in the Hondas he drove for Green.

5. Gil sez Paul doesn't know what he's talking about, since Gil sez his Walker-Hondas and Penske-Hondas didn't have TC.

Therefore, Gil asserts that since Walker's and Penske's Hondas (supposedly) didn't run TC, Penske's Ilmor/Chevys and Ilmor/MBs couldn't have either...

:saywhat:

Methinks Gil (or, more likely his employer) doth protest too much.

RichK
05-01-03, 07:27 PM
Great post, dc.

Ziggy
05-01-03, 10:35 PM
What rabbit said. Mid Ohio, turn right after the finish line (1st) these guys motors were falling all over themselves on exit. They were leading the race......

Gil, the first chink in your armor.

Ziggy

Hink
05-02-03, 03:04 AM
Too bad. Maybe it's the concussions.

Maybe no one "saw" the traction control but we heard it.

JLMannin
05-02-03, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by datachicane
Wait just a freakin' minute. Let me get this straight...

1. Paul sez Penske had TC when Paul drove for him.

2. Penske ran Ilmor/Chevy and Ilmor/Benz during the years Paul drove for him.

3. Paul never drove a Penske-Honda.

4. Paul didn't say anything about TC in the Hondas he drove for Green.

5. Gil sez Paul doesn't know what he's talking about, since Gil sez his Walker-Hondas and Penske-Hondas didn't have TC.

Therefore, Gil asserts that since Walker's and Penske's Hondas (supposedly) didn't run TC, Penske's Ilmor/Chevys and Ilmor/MBs couldn't have either...

:saywhat:

Methinks Gil (or, more likely his employer) doth protest too much.

Pual did say that he had traction control every year since 1994. I interpret that as being '94 to '02, inclusive. By inference, he is stating that N/H and Green (read: Ford and Honda) had traction control. The onlt manufacturer this leaves in doubt is Toyota, as Paul did not drive a Toyota powered car during the years in question. My assumption is that they had some sort of system under the radar as well.

Napoleon
05-02-03, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin

My assumption is that they had some sort of system under the radar as well.

Heck the fact that they had LEDs on the wheels of there cars, that flashed on and off in a manner so it appeared that 'Yoda's logo/name appeared tells you that they had installed on those cars the sensors necessary to operate a traction contros system tells you everyting.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did the light thing so that they had an "innocent" explaination for why they had the sensors on the wheels in the first place.