PDA

View Full Version : Sucks that my Alma Mater isn't Loaded

Insomniac
04-03-07, 02:34 PM
Well, looks like WVU's basketball coach is off to Michigan. Five years ago, Bob Huggins was all set to coach WVU and then turned them down at the last minute, they hired Dan Dakich who quit after 1 week because of potential NCAA violations and hired John Beilein. It all worked out in the end, but now he is moving on. Most likely for the money.

Earlier this year Alabama went after Rich Rodriguez and the University and boosters had to come up with a lot to keep him.

I know the problem isn't unique to WVU, but it still stinks. Especially when the last b-ball coach was there 24 years and the football coach was there 21 years, both until they retired. Oh well, nothing I can really do, coaching is a hot job in college basketball and football.

Dr. Corkski
04-03-07, 03:01 PM
I am sure the folks at the University of Richmond are burning couches along with your alma mater in memory of these tragic turn of events.

Easy
04-03-07, 03:19 PM
It could be worse, your Alma Mater could be loaded and still suck. Iowa poached Richard Lickliter from Butler. He'll have less talent next year than he did this year though. At least Alford and his hair care products are gone.

Ankf00
04-03-07, 03:20 PM
We're currently attempting to poach Duke's women's bb coach with a $0.5M raise. Duke can match, but then their Ath Dept would running a $3M/annum deficit.

We're Texas. -Walter Kronkite

:gomer: :p

although katz is reporting that Barnes is next on UK's wish list should Billy D turn 'em down, in which case, I hope we don't have to flash the bucks, b/c I'd hate to lose him, can't blame him for leaving though, it's f'ing Kentucky...

extramundane
04-03-07, 03:38 PM
I am sure the folks at the University of Richmond are burning couches along with your alma mater in memory of these tragic turn of events.

Actually, the folks at UR hired people to burn couches for them, then made fun of both their hires and WVU, before drunkenly driving their SUVs into phone poles.

In other words, a typical Monday Night in Westhampton.

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/1761/6627666362hs5.jpg

Ankf00
04-03-07, 03:52 PM
So it's pretty much like Highland Park & SMU kids, sans the preceding coke binge and with couches instead of crosses. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
04-03-07, 04:10 PM
I feel for you.

Schiano seems to be making every indication that he is here for the long haul (Paterno style) and the State is trying to do all it can to pay him something close to what he's worth, but I suspect we'll be hearing rumors annually about schools trying to grab him away.

College football in these parts is more akin to lazy Saturday Fall afternoons sipping gin and tonics while singing obscure school songs than anything seen in TN, FL or TX. And it doesn't sit well that a football coach with two winning seasons is the highest paid state employee when the rest of us shmucks have the highest cost of living in the nation, 7% sales tax, an income tax and average about $17K a year in property tax.

TKGAngel
04-03-07, 04:36 PM
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/1761/6627666362hs5.jpg

Apparently, the folks at Hookt on Phoniks make the WVU championship shirts.

Ankf00
04-03-07, 05:15 PM
Apparently, the folks at Hookt on Phoniks make the WVU championship shirts.

that's just the WVU lib arts dept at work

Insomniac
04-03-07, 09:41 PM
that's just the WVU lib arts dept at work

WVU did not make those shirts!!!

extramundane
04-03-07, 09:53 PM

Furthermore: The Missus, whose Masters is from WVU, would like to point out that Morgantown has a very high rate of transplanted New Jersey kids and that they're likely to blame. :D

Sean O'Gorman
04-03-07, 10:10 PM

What about this one?

http://jitcrunch.cafepress.com/jitcrunch.aspx?bG9hZD1ibGFuayxibGFuazoxMTJfRi5qcGd 8bG9hZD1MMCxodHRwOi8vaW1hZ2VzLmNhZmVwcmVzcy5jb20va W1hZ2UvODQ5MTk2OV80MDB4NDAwLmpwZ3x8c2NhbGU9TDAsMTY wLDE1MixXaGl0ZXxjb21wb3NlPWJsYW5rLEwwLEFkZCwxNjUsM TE3fGNwPXJlc3VsdCxibGFua3xzY2FsZT1yZXN1bHQsMCw0ODA sV2hpdGV8Y29tcHJlc3Npb249OTV8

Insomniac
04-03-07, 11:40 PM
Furthermore: The Missus, whose Masters is from WVU, would like to point out that Morgantown has a very high rate of transplanted New Jersey kids and that they're likely to blame. :D

Biggest % of out-of-state students is from NJ. I once heard NJ residents were 20% of the out-of-state students.

Insomniac
04-03-07, 11:41 PM
What about this one?

http://jitcrunch.cafepress.com/jitcrunch.aspx?bG9hZD1ibGFuayxibGFuazoxMTJfRi5qcGd 8bG9hZD1MMCxodHRwOi8vaW1hZ2VzLmNhZmVwcmVzcy5jb20va W1hZ2UvODQ5MTk2OV80MDB4NDAwLmpwZ3x8c2NhbGU9TDAsMTY wLDE1MixXaGl0ZXxjb21wb3NlPWJsYW5rLEwwLEFkZCwxNjUsM TE3fGNwPXJlc3VsdCxibGFua3xzY2FsZT1yZXN1bHQsMCw0ODA sV2hpdGV8Y29tcHJlc3Npb249OTV8

No idea. I still don't get why the media cares so much.

Ankf00
04-04-07, 11:14 AM
admitting to the high rate of jersey kids at WVU isn't helping ;)

No idea. I still don't get why the media cares so much.
global warming.

that and the fumes are apparently affecting the basic english abilities of the students. :D

Insomniac
04-04-07, 11:52 AM
Michigan will pay John Beilein $1.3 million a season plus bonuses as part of a six-year contract to be its basketball coach.

But the school will not give West Virginia any money for luring him away.

"The buyout was a contractual issue between coach and WVU," Michigan athletic director Bill Martin wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press before he was to introduce Beilein at a news conference Wednesday.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2825254

Word is a Michigan booster is paying the $2.5M buyout to WVU.

Ankf00
04-04-07, 12:04 PM
Word is a Michigan booster is paying the $2.5M buyout to WVU.

S.O.P. Although it would be unusual if it was only one booster picking up that entire tab.

Andrew Longman
04-04-07, 12:33 PM
S.O.P. Although it would be unusual if it was only one booster picking up that entire tab.

Why is it that boosters can't throw cash at players but they can at coaches? Oh yeah, they are student athletes. Paying coaches is no different than buying a professor chair.:rolleyes:

Ankf00
04-04-07, 12:43 PM
The coach in turn can bring in millions which fund all the other non-revenue generating sports. That's if the program makes a profit to begin with, which is not always the case.

extramundane
04-04-07, 12:48 PM
Biggest % of out-of-state students is from NJ. I once heard NJ residents were 20% of the out-of-state students.

I'm surprised it's that low, based on her comments. Then again, she was a NYC resident before going there, so perhaps it was her bridge-and-tunnel bias showing through. :D

admitting to the high rate of jersey kids at WVU isn't helping ;)

NJ kids, WV farmboys...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Insomniac
04-04-07, 12:59 PM
Why is it that boosters can't throw cash at players but they can at coaches? Oh yeah, they are student athletes. Paying coaches is no different than buying a professor chair.:rolleyes:

Because that is not how the system works. They get a free education (whether they want it or not) while many have to pay for the same thing.

If they should/want to be paid, then they need a minor league or play in one that's already established.

Insomniac
04-04-07, 01:02 PM
I'm surprised it's that low, based on her comments. Then again, she was a NYC resident before going there, so perhaps it was her bridge-and-tunnel bias showing through. :D

NJ kids, WV farmboys...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I could be wrong, it's entirely possible the number was 20% of all students are from NJ. If I remember, I'll ask a friend of mine, she should know or have a better idea. I forget who told me the number. It was either someone who worked with my Dad or a former dean at the school.

I doubt more than a minority are farmboys. I bet there are more international students there than farmboys. It's not so bad when the worst thing you're known for is burning couches. :)

Ankf00
04-04-07, 05:53 PM
Rocks that my alma mater is loaded. http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/smokin.gif

Duke's WBB coach is headed to Austin. w00t.

[nelson] HA! HA![/munce] to dook.

dando
04-05-07, 03:04 PM
So Huggy Bear leaves K State after one season for WVU. :laugh: Enjoy that dickhead down in Morgantown, yo. He may get results, but he does it with questionable players and practices. :saywhat: I have 0 respect for that POS.

A classic Sports Pickle jab @ Huggy Bear:

http://www.sportspickle.com/ponder/volume3/2004-0324.html

And with Cincinnati’s blowout loss to Illinois, Bob Huggins has now reached the Sweet 16 just once in the past eight years – a 13 percent success rate. However, that’s 13 percent above the graduation rate of Huggins’s program. So congrats, Bob!

:D

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-05-07, 03:32 PM
So Huggy Bear leaves K State after one season for WVU. :laugh: Enjoy that dickhead down in Morgantown, yo. He may get results, but he does it with questionable players and practices. :saywhat: I have 0 respect for that POS.

-Kevin

I remember 5 years ago, we were all quite excited he'd be coming to WVU. He said it was his dream job and even had an out in his Cincy contract to take the job at WVU if it became available. Now 5 years later, given that he 1. Turned WVU down before, 2. the DUI and 3. Beilein was a pretty damn good coach, all I can muster is a Meh. I do know a bunch of my friends are going to be mad about him bailing on K-State though. I also wonder if he had the same clause in his contract, although he wasn't in much of a position to dictate the terms.

Insomniac
04-05-07, 03:33 PM
Ohhh, I was also just told UofM and WVU agreed to a home and home series in football in lieu of the $2.5M buyout.

Sean O'Gorman
04-05-07, 03:42 PM
Is it possible that graduations go up at WVU with him coming on board?

Ankf00
04-05-07, 04:11 PM
Sucks that my alma mater isn't Kentucky. :\

Billy D turns down the 'cats. Now they're after Barnes. He'd be crazy not to take it, and he should (if offered, I see him possibly staying if KD stays).

Andrew Longman
04-05-07, 05:42 PM
Ohhh, I was also just told UofM and WVU agreed to a home and home series in football in lieu of the $2.5M buyout.

Wow. Big East getting a serious Big 10 match up. Cool.

Insomniac
04-05-07, 06:31 PM
Wow. Big East getting a serious Big 10 match up. Cool.

WVU is playing Auburn in 2008 and 2009 as well.

Insomniac
04-05-07, 06:38 PM
Is it possible that graduations go up at WVU with him coming on board?

You mean college basketball players' graduation rates? I doubt it. Beilein's recruiting message had an emphasis on academic life. Huggins gets talent, and while it's not mutually exclusive to graduating, the schools that are constant contenders generally have a lower graduation rate than the smaller schools.

Tony George
04-05-07, 07:57 PM

-Kevin

Don't believe everything you read in the media. Huggs will improve WV. The whole graduation rate issue was overblown and the numbers were usually incorrectly reported. How could espn and sports ill. be wrong? :gomer:

Ankf00
04-06-07, 12:07 AM
w00t, Barnes is staying!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6649456

Rocks that my alma mater is loaded and not Kentucky!