PDA

View Full Version : baseball 07

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Ankf00
05-07-07, 05:36 PM
His numbers in Houston were impressive but he only pitched into the 7th a handful of times and averaged less than six.

he averaged 6.47 and 6.59 the first 2 seasons in houston (214/33 & 211/32) and 5.95 (113/19) last season. hardly the 4IP/G chump you paint him as. stuff of legend? no. but if the 'stros had any bats he'd have an 8th Cy Young in his trophy case.

the bottom third of the order is almost as strong as the top. :laugh:

Stu
05-07-07, 11:16 PM
It's mind boggling to think that the NYY have > $50mm tied up in two players. :eek: :saywhat: How many teams don't have payrolls > $50mm? I'll bet it's @ least half. :\

-Kevin

However, ARod, Clemens (prorated), Jeter, and Giambi would rank about 11th in payroll.

IlliniRacer
05-09-07, 10:53 PM
Ted "Freakin" Lilly

SWEET!!!

MARQUIS WOO!!! MARQUIS WOO!!! MARQUIS WOO!!!

SteveH
05-10-07, 12:03 AM
MARQUIS WOO!!! MARQUIS WOO!!! MARQUIS WOO!!!

Just got back from the game. Great effort. :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 08:55 AM
It's mind boggling to think that the NYY have > $50mm tied up in two players. :eek: :saywhat: How many teams don't have payrolls > $50mm? I'll bet it's @ least half. :\

-Kevin

Cashman says payroll is just under 198M. Its what happens when you draw 50K a night at home and own your own cable network that broadcasts 162 games of among the highest rated television in the country's largest market. Add that something like a quarter of Japan tunes in to see Matsui and Korea to see Wang.

Can't say its good for baseball, but its good for the Yanks. The payroll is starting to effect ticket prices though. Prices were up again this year. I remember skipping school and sitting in the bleachers for $4 in the 70s

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 09:10 AM
he averaged 6.47 and 6.59 the first 2 seasons in houston (214/33 & 211/32) and 5.95 (113/19) last season. hardly the 4IP/G chump you paint him as. stuff of legend? no. but if the 'stros had any bats he'd have an 8th Cy Young in his trophy case.

:laugh:

5.95 is not 6 or even 7 innings. What the Yankees need, especially for all that money and hoopla is someone who can hand the ball to Farnsworth/Procter in the 8th and then turn it over to Rivera.

Ank, please look at the stats. With a pitcher batting 9th and providing little protection for the #8 batter, ERAs in the National League are at least a run less. And because of that situation teams are more willing to trade offensive skills for defensive skills at the bottom of the order. How many teams have a .305 Cano batting 7th or 8th in the NL?

Clemens will be a nice #4 starter and he will help keep the youngsters on track to come up next year, not this year, and he will provide a real positive example in the clubhouse. But this is not the second coming the Yankees PR staff would have us believe.

Ankf00
05-10-07, 11:40 AM
how many teams have a .304 man batting 8th period? they're the yankees, they have the bats, most other teams don't.

and 5.95 is pretty much 6 innings. mussina pitched 6.15 per outing last year and wang pitched 6.5.

the other portion of the argument you neglect is NL pitchers are pulled due to offensive concerns in the latter innings, something AL pitchers don't face b/c of the DH rule. this in itself reduces IP/G for NL arms

no matter how you slice it, the stats don't support your suppositions.

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 12:31 PM
how many teams have a .304 man batting 8th period? they're the yankees, they have the bats, most other teams don't.

and 5.95 is pretty much 6 innings. mussina pitched 6.15 per outing last year and wang pitched 6.5.

the other portion of the argument you neglect is NL pitchers are pulled due to offensive concerns in the latter innings, something AL pitchers don't face b/c of the DH rule. this in itself reduces IP/G for NL arms

no matter how you slice it, the stats don't support your suppositions.

You're confusing my suppositions. Clemens' ERA as a Yankee was 4.04. As an Astro it was 2.38. This time as a Yankee it will likely be back around 4.0. It happen to every pitcher changing leagues due to the effects of the DH on the bottom of the order. Actually I forgot to mention the effect the strength of the bottom of the order has in protecting the top of the order after the first few innings. AL pitchers simply have very little ability to pitch around anyone. Yes, more so when pitching against the Yankees but it is true throughout the league and effects all AL ERAs.

(BTW this is not meant as a boast on the AL or a smack at the NL. I am ambivilant about the DH. I hate seeing rallies killed by pitcher batting and walking batters to get to the pitcher, but I don't like the de-emphasis on defensive skills the DH creates in the AL)

Yes Wang and Messina average more than 6 innings, but not enough more. Too infrequently they make it into 7th, and even more so with the rest of the staff, and it has the effect of burning up an already shaky bullben. Hence, what the Yankees need from a new staff member is someone who will more reliably give the middle relief a break every 5 days. Clemens is not likely to do that.

That all said, Clemens will likely do well (better than Igawa) and is a plus for the team. If nothing else it protects the young pitchers. I just either wouldn't have made the deal or made that particular deal. In the end though I blame Houston. The Yankees needed to best the $21M (?) the Astros paid last year and once they agreed to his travel requirements, everyone else was going to have to agree to that too.

Ankf00
05-10-07, 01:44 PM
Travel arrangement was great, door to door it would take him 10 minutes to get from River Oaks to the ballpark.

Bottom line, the yanquis need arms, he's an arm, and can be a serviceable #2 or #3 on that yanquis rotation.

Wheel-Nut
05-10-07, 01:50 PM
I hope Clemens and Pettite both choke on a Nathan's Famous.

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 02:30 PM
I hope Clemens and Pettite both choke on a Nathan's Famous.

What's your knock on Pettite?

Other than being from Texas, there's a lot to like about him:p

He is super competitive, has a fantastic work ethic, been a pretty stand up teammate and very clutch pitcher. He never would have even gone to Houston if Steinbrenner wasn't an idiot.

And Ank, so long as they are healthy, Clemens will never be ahead of Wang, Pettite or Mussina in the rotation. If Hughes comes back pitching like he was, he might even been ahead of Clemens. No argument that the Yankees needed arms after the Igawa disaster and yes Clemens has one but this is not the HUGE deal the Yankees are making it out to be. The best thing about it is that they didn't lose any prospects to get him and it keeps those prospect on the right development path. That's it.

Wheel-Nut
05-10-07, 02:37 PM
What's your knock on Pettite?

. . . .

The way he would talk about how he wanted to play in front of his freinds and family in his hometown, and then he bolts for the Yankees for what, $1 million more than the Astros offered?

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 03:26 PM
...then he bolts for the Yankees for what, $1 million more than the Astros offered?

Yeah, that's about what Clemens will get per start.

Seriously, if he puts in a couple more really good years and wins 1-2 more rings he has a fair chance of seeing his number retired in the monuments.

And he might have more friends in NY than Houston at this point. He's a fan favorite and has been since the fans were waiting for him (and Jeter, Rivera, Posada and Williams) to come up from the minor leagues.

Plus there is something about those darn pinstripes and playing in front of 50K every night.

Sean O'Gorman
05-10-07, 04:02 PM
I would rather play in Tropicana Field every day than play in either stadium in NY

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 04:24 PM
I would rather play in Tropicana Field every day than play in either stadium in NY

That's not something you have to worry about.:p

Shea is a dump and they can't tear it down fast enough.

As for Yankee Stadium, well you just don't know what Yankee Stdium means. You disrespect the history and traditions of the place. The best in the sport have graced those hallowed walls. Shut up and eat your Cracker Jacks.:tony:

In all seriousness Yankee Stadium is a great place to see and play a game. It is meticulously maintained, the fans are very well informed and actually well behaved, and you can take a subway literally to the gates. Its quite fan friendly and doesn't require swimming pools or HardRocks to draw fans.

Its a shame George is building a new Stadium. Even more of a shame why. Essentially, he making so much money that he would wind up turning it over as luxury tax if he didn't spend it on a stadium. At least it will look more like the Stadium did before the city "renovated" it in the 70s.

Ankf00
05-10-07, 04:45 PM
Yeah, that's about what Clemens will get per start.

Seriously, if he puts in a couple more really good years and wins 1-2 more rings he has a fair chance of seeing his number retired in the monuments.

And he might have more friends in NY than Houston at this point. He's a fan favorite and has been since the fans were waiting for him (and Jeter, Rivera, Posada and Williams) to come up from the minor leagues.

Plus there is something about those darn pinstripes and playing in front of 50K every night.

Pettite went to Deer Park, there's no chance in hell he has more real fans in NYC than back home.

That said, Yanquis, 'stros, whatever, I win either way. :D

...but not as much as I would with a Steinbrenner-less Yanquis club.

edit: Pettite bolted b/c a) the 'stros still have no bats, b) yanquis pursued him hard while Puppura and McLane reclined in their La-Z-Boys, the opposite of which a few years back was why Andy came home in the first place, a shame, but oh well.

cameraman
05-10-07, 04:46 PM
At least it will look more like the Stadium did before the city "renovated" it in the 70s.

Being more than a little disconnected from NYC living in Utahland - is there a decent website with info on the new stadium?

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 05:01 PM
Being more than a little disconnected from NYC living in Utahland - is there a decent website with info on the new stadium?

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/photogallery/year_2007/month_01/day_04/cf1772902.html

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/new_stadium.jsp

BTW, The Yanks are paying for this. The City/State is picking up highway work and swapping parkland for it.

Look great to me, but I'll miss the old.

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 05:08 PM
Pettite went to Deer Park, there's no chance in hell he has more real fans in NYC than back home.

Buddies maybe, fans no. ANY Yankee game draws a 6+ rating in NYC. Double that for a weekend game. Outside of maybe St Louis there is not a bigger baseball town and Pettite is part of original mid 90s young guns that started the current dynasty and fandom.

Keep in mind that there was talk of moving the Yankees out of the Bronx in the early 90s because fans weren't showing up. That's unthinkable today.

BTW Pettite left the Yankees because George and the Tampa mafia decided that his elbow was suspect. Turn out they were partially right as he got hurt right away in Houston, but has obviously recovered well.

Ankf00
05-10-07, 05:21 PM
yanquis regulars are the most fickle tools in the game, drawing a 6+ doesn't mean they're fans of Andy. Just that there's a few thousand more who want to boo him the second he loses 1 game.

Andrew Longman
05-10-07, 07:10 PM
yanquis regulars are the most fickle tools in the game, drawing a 6+ doesn't mean they're fans of Andy. Just that there's a few thousand more who want to boo him the second he loses 1 game.

Oh they would boo him if he threw lousy... but he never has. And there is a huge difference among the Yankee faithful between a sourpuss Randy Johnson, or suckass Ed Whitton and a proven performer like Pettite.

Pettite, Jeter, Williams, Rivera, Posada, ONeill and Torre are part of the special class that define the current Yankees era among fans. They are the decendants of Mattingly, Guidry, Munson, Ford, Mantle, Berra, Gehrig, etc. Almost everyone else are just bit players and fillers that serve a mercenary purpose

Insomniac
05-13-07, 01:40 PM

He was pitching in the NL though. Be interesting to see how he does in the AL. I'm glad Boston didn't offer him enough money (or supposedly they wanted him to start a little later than NY).

Insomniac
05-13-07, 01:42 PM
Clemens will be a nice #4 starter and he will help keep the youngsters on track to come up next year, not this year, and he will provide a real positive example in the clubhouse. But this is not the second coming the Yankees PR staff would have us believe.

By leaving the team when he's not pitching?

Andrew Longman
05-14-07, 04:10 PM
By leaving the team when he's not pitching?

Not by that part. I hate that part. Actually I don't like the deal much at all. But he is hugely competitive and a workout nut. He reaches out to the younger pitcher and readily coaches them. If there is a positive here besides what he can do on the mound, that's it.

Insomniac
05-14-07, 04:28 PM
Not by that part. I hate that part. Actually I don't like the deal much at all. But he is hugely competitive and a workout nut. He reaches out to the younger pitcher and readily coaches them. If there is a positive here besides what he can do on the mound, that's it.

Which leads to my favorite conspiracy theory that he's on the juice and he needs this "time" to make sure he passes the tests. :D

JoeBob
05-14-07, 04:49 PM
Cashman says payroll is just under 198M. Its what happens when you draw 50K a night at home and own your own cable network that broadcasts 162 games of among the highest rated television in the country's largest market. Add that something like a quarter of Japan tunes in to see Matsui and Korea to see Wang.

Not to mention the ticket prices the Yankees can charge. You can't sit in the lower level for less than $50 - almost the entire upper deck is $40:
http://media.ticketmaster.com/en-us/tmimages/venue/maps/ny5/17824s.gif

(Then again, we were there for a recent Thursday afternoon game. Despite announcing a crowd of 40k, there were maybe 15k there. We got 2 $73 lower level tickets for $30 each from an um... independant businessperson.)

The most expensive seats the Twins sell are $44 ($47 for games against the Yankees, Boston and Milwaukee). It is amazing to me that the cost of the most expensive seats at the Dome would put you in the upper deck outfield (or a low earth orbit) at Yankee Stadium.

And then my family in New York wonders about why the small markets hate their Yankees...

cameraman
05-14-07, 05:11 PM
Then there is AAA ball where my son gets a seat for $4 and my seat right in front of first base usually fourth or fifth row is $10.50. The whole evening is usually less than $30-

That's the way it is supposed to be.

chop456
05-14-07, 11:15 PM
^ The Madison Mallards have a deck section where $30 will get you all the food you can eat and all the beer you can drink. Occasionally, they have free microbrews for 2 hours before the games, too. That's what I'm talkin' about. :D

cameraman
05-15-07, 01:18 AM
See, I live in Utah and while I can buy beer at the games the concepts of "all you can drink" and "free microbrews" are still completely alien:saywhat:

devilmaster
05-15-07, 01:50 AM
annual road trip this weekend....

Jays at the Phillies.... might even check out Abreu's younger bro on the independant Camden RiverSharks....

:thumbup:

Andrew Longman
05-15-07, 08:55 AM

Jays at the Phillies.... might even check out Abreu's younger bro on the independant Camden RiverSharks....

The Sharks have a nice little stadium right on the river under the Ben Franklin bridge. Great view of Philly. Tickets should be about $12. Stay close to the stadium though. Camden is Baghdad on the Delaware.

You might also want to checkout the USS New Jersey and the Aquarium nextdoor to the stadium. Both are pretty cool if you're into that sort of thing.

Andrew Longman
05-15-07, 09:06 AM
(Then again, we were there for a recent Thursday afternoon game. Despite announcing a crowd of 40k, there were maybe 15k there. We got 2 $73 lower level tickets for $30 each from an um... independant businessperson.)...

You can still sit in the bleachers for $12. I think they were $4 when I regularly skipped class in HS and freeloaded a trainride to the city for day games. Back then they would sell beer to a 9 year old too.

Strange that only 15K showed up for a recent day game. There are so few these days that they usually do really well. Often sold out. Its a rare excuse to take the day off or entertain a client, and it is better for taking the family (if you can afford that:shakehead ). Perhaps once school gets out it will be different.

Anyway, trust me, they will put 50K in there night after night and going through the ticket office you will only be able to get a seat in low earth orbit for just about any game though the independent agents lurking around the stadium will always have a ready supply of acceptable seats.

Also fortunately I count 7 minor league teams in the area without the hassles of getting to the stadium and with much more fan-friendly prices

JoeBob
05-15-07, 10:23 AM
Oh, I know how Yankee games can be - I grew up in New York. I'm just calling MN home these days.

It was a chilly, cloudy day with a half decent chance of rain. I'm sure that kept away a good portion of the crowd. (A couple of family members were thinking of also going to that game, but passed because of the weather.)

The highlight was a cop turning a blind eye to the ticket buying. He came up to us and said, "You can't do that here" then turned his back and let us finish the deal. :rofl:

Ankf00
05-15-07, 10:37 AM
^ The Madison Mallards have a deck section where $30 will get you all the food you can eat and all the beer you can drink. Occasionally, they have free microbrews for 2 hours before the games, too. That's what I'm talkin' about. :D

I will be requiring directions and a home schedule, thanks. :)

dando
05-15-07, 12:09 PM

Enjoy. Phillies gots a nice park. Too bad for Philly fan the team sucks. Beware the line for cheese steaks on the concourse behind the fences (Richie Ashburn Way, IIRC).

I get to go to RFK after Memorial to watch my boys in blue thrash the Natties. Hopefully I'll get to go back next season for the new park to open.

BTW, you'll hafta make a trip south if they ever get their act together and build the new park here in '09.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntington_Park_(Columbus,_Ohio)

A team owned by the county is a biggie time mistake. :saywhat:

-Kevin

chop456
05-15-07, 12:26 PM
I will be requiring directions and a home schedule, thanks. :)

http://www.mallardsbaseball.com/home/tickets/duckblind.php

http://www.mallardsbaseball.com/home/schedule.php

WED, June 20 Fox 47 The Simpson’s Night. Featuring Mallards wearing Isotopes uniforms, Simpson’s cover songs w/ the Outtatoons, great giveaways & Simpson’s trivia all night! Budweiser Pint Glass Series Night #3 (first 1,000 fans 21 & over).

FRI, July 13 Short People Appreciation Night, featuring Emmannuel Lewis (AKA Webster). Ticket prices on day of game will be based on height! All fans on the Great Dane Duck Blind will receive a Mallards T-shirt courtesy of Covance.

SAT, July 14 Goodman’s Jewelers Diamond Night. The first 1,000 ladies will receive a gemstone and one will be a real diamond! Bring your gemstone back to Goodman’s to find out if you have won the diamond! A special appearance by Dustin Diamond (AKA Screech). The Gomers playing Neil Diamond covers on the Duck Blind. Post-game fireworks, presented by Life Style Staffing.

devilmaster
05-15-07, 12:50 PM
The Sharks have a nice little stadium right on the river under the Ben Franklin bridge. Great view of Philly. Tickets should be about $12. Stay close to the stadium though. Camden is Baghdad on the Delaware.

You might also want to checkout the USS New Jersey and the Aquarium nextdoor to the stadium. Both are pretty cool if you're into that sort of thing.

Thx for the heads up. :thumbup:

I've been to philly before, in 95 on a weekend port visit after 2 weeks of fisheries patrols and a run through a hurricane. That was a fun, fun weekend - so much fun the XO wanted to charge me when we left Monday morning. :D

I know its a shot in the dark, but i hope to find a bar still running. It was an industrial building (iirc - I was drunk) with a big ass dance floor inside, but out back was a recreated florida beach bar with a huge stage. Great place. I barely remember yelling 'Captain Jack' to the band who was this 10 piece or so group that did billy joel covers.

I hope to get on the Jersey for sure. We might take the sunday and drive over to Atlantic City, but we're playing that by ear. If we can get all of the touring done Saturday, then we will.

The only downer about this trip is that I would have been talking 4rnr for the past couple weeks to set up the weekend to meet up with him. I'd been practicing my big steak eating. :(

Brian_R
05-15-07, 03:04 PM
The only downer about this trip is that I would have been talking 4rnr for the past couple weeks to set up the weekend to meet up with him. I'd been practicing my big steak eating. :(

:(

As for the ballpark, Chickey & Pete's Crab fries are an interesting twist you might like to try (think Old Bay on french fries).

And for the post about the Phillies having a good park and a terrible team, just look to the other end of the state at PNC Park for the Pirates. Maybe a year or two older but so far the best park I've been to, and their team is much worse. Gotta love these teams clamoring for new parks to be competitive and then lay an egg after we pay for them. PA Taxes at work! :rolleyes:

devilmaster
05-15-07, 03:27 PM
:(

As for the ballpark, Chickey & Pete's Crab fries are an interesting twist you might like to try (think Old Bay on french fries).

And for the post about the Phillies having a good park and a terrible team, just look to the other end of the state at PNC Park for the Pirates. Maybe a year or two older but so far the best park I've been to, and their team is much worse. Gotta love these teams clamoring for new parks to be competitive and then lay an egg after we pay for them. PA Taxes at work! :rolleyes:

PNC is an awesome park. We hit that park 2 & 3 years ago. (first time got rained out).

My myspace page has a few shots of some of the parks I've been to.

www.myspace.com/SteveMicallef

Dr. Corkski
05-19-07, 12:50 AM
:rofl:

We interrupt this baseball thread with a Barry Zito update.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9158/capt9fec6eb5adb347ce97dlq7.jpg http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5272/capt13515bc9f791469eb64hj2.jpg

Making his triumphant return to Oakland after stealing $126million from those dumbass douchebags across the Bay, Zito proved just how much the A's would miss him in this season. The A's will in fact miss him greatly, in that they would only get to hit against his little league level pitching only during interleague play.

Final stat line of the night:
4.0IP, 6H, 7ER, 7BB

Barry Zito sucks.

devilmaster
05-19-07, 08:24 PM
We interrupt Cork's Zito-love for some baseball ;)

Sittin in the hotel after walkin Atlantic City's boardwalk. Saw Jays/Phillies last night, nice park...

It has the same basic layout as Comerica, but more cosy.

http://a44.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/58/l_31e8d8f613c367e62478c3114356ef73.jpg

IlliniRacer
05-19-07, 10:58 PM
:cool:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-05/29917487.jpg

Ankf00
05-20-07, 04:40 AM
another year, another conf title, another #1 national seed, another trip to Omaha, another ass whupping of an overrated over-paid SEC chump squad.

http://texassports.com/image_lib/trophy_051907_300.jpg

http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/smokin.gif

TrueBrit
05-20-07, 10:26 AM
:cool:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-05/29917487.jpg

That was indeed quite sweet!

Andrew Longman
05-21-07, 10:17 AM
I know its a shot in the dark, but i hope to find a bar still running. It was an industrial building (iirc - I was drunk) with a big ass dance floor inside, but out back was a recreated florida beach bar with a huge stage. Great place. I barely remember yelling 'Captain Jack' to the band who was this 10 piece or so group that did billy joel covers.

I know where you are talking about. Its a place on Delaware Ave. I think it was called Coconuts and I think its no longer there. Its was actually built on a pier and another bar called Heat was next door and it collapsed 7 years ago killing three people. Kinda turned people off to the idea.

devilmaster
05-21-07, 11:07 AM
I know where you are talking about. Its a place on Delaware Ave. I think it was called Coconuts and I think its no longer there. Its was actually built on a pier and another bar called Heat was next door and it collapsed 7 years ago killing three people. Kinda turned people off to the idea.

I actually googled round and found a place called the Maui Complex which is also closed. Something about violence and shootings and such. :irked:

Sean O'Gorman
05-21-07, 11:32 AM
another year, another conf title, another #1 national seed, another trip to Omaha, another ass whupping of an overrated over-paid SEC chump squad.

I was about to say I thought this thread was for pro baseball only, and then I saw you mentioned the SEC so its ok. :laugh:

Wheel-Nut
05-21-07, 12:20 PM
WOW!! Did Sean just own Ank? :eek: :)

Andrew Longman
05-21-07, 01:22 PM
I actually googled round and found a place called the Maui Complex which is also closed. Something about violence and shootings and such. :irked:

Yes, Maui is the place. Had a big volleyball area out on the pier. Back in the late 80s and early 90s it was one of the first places to open up when Delaware Ave was changing over from warehouses to party houses. In the last few years things have gotten a bit unruly down there and the crowds have changed for the worse since the pier collapse. Maui lost their liquor license IIRC.

Hey Ank. Got nuthin for SeanO?

Sean O'Gorman
05-21-07, 01:55 PM
Actually, I was bashing the SEC, not Texas. I like the Longhorns.

dando
05-21-07, 08:01 PM
This just in....E$PN has been renamed YE$PN. :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
05-21-07, 08:49 PM

-Kevin

Does anyone outside of the worthless northeast even care about this stupid rivalry?

Ankf00
05-21-07, 08:56 PM

-Kevin

w00t. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrE213lVWV4

Why do you hate America, dando? Why?

dando
05-21-07, 10:44 PM
w00t. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrE213lVWV4

Why do you hate America, dando? Why?

Don't get me started.... :irked: :saywhat: :mad:

-Kevin

RHR_Fan
05-21-07, 11:28 PM
So who has all voted for the All Star game?

Andrew Longman
05-22-07, 09:58 AM
Does anyone outside of the worthless northeast even care about this stupid rivalry?

I take it you mean Yanks/Mets?

1) No, but why should they? On the other hand more people will watch those games live and on TV than the entire IRL season.

2) And Parma is the center of the universe?;)

Sean O'Gorman
05-22-07, 10:25 AM
I meant Yankees/Red Sox. Its so overhyped that every time they play, I wish that both teams could lose.

Ankf00
05-22-07, 10:54 AM
http://www.nyc.gov/html/sports/gif/yanks-title.gif

Andrew Longman
05-22-07, 02:01 PM
I meant Yankees/Red Sox. Its so overhyped that every time they play, I wish that both teams could lose.

Same deal. Since they'll play each other IIRC 17 times to sell out crowds in major media markets they too will outdraw the entire IRL season by a long shot.

Given that the Yanks on the road outdraw most teams at home, I'd say there is a fair amount of interest in them around the country, but your point is correct. Baseball is perhaps the most local of sports and only folks in NY and Boston should care about the Yanks and Bosox. The Fox/ESPN hype of them is very much an overreach.

Parma sadly needs to keep its interests on the Tribe.;)

Sean O'Gorman
05-22-07, 03:51 PM
The Fox/ESPN hype of them is very much an overreach.

Parma sadly needs to keep its interests on the Tribe.;)

East coast bias.

I'd much rather watch a humble, low-profile team such as Cleveland, Oakland, Milwaukee, Toronto, etc. that is fairly competitive, over an overhyped squad like the Red Sox or Yankees.

Insomniac
05-22-07, 09:23 PM
East coast bias.

I'd much rather watch a humble, low-profile team such as Cleveland, Oakland, Milwaukee, Toronto, etc. that is fairly competitive, over an overhyped squad like the Red Sox or Yankees.

BoSox are the best team in the league, now the Yankees... ;)

Ankf00
05-24-07, 02:58 PM
BoSox are the best team in the league, now the Yankees... ;)

8-3, put that in your pipe and toke it! :p

[bad joke] How bad are the 'stros?

They're so bad, even Barry Zito can beat them [/bad joke]

Insomniac
05-24-07, 04:16 PM
8-3, put that in your pipe and toke it! :p

http://i16.tinypic.com/53omrnm.gif

dando
05-28-07, 09:25 PM

The OSU is in, 2....and UM still sucks. :D

http://ohiostatebuckeyes.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/052707aab.html

See y'all in College Station. :cool:

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-29-07, 11:41 AM
See y'all in College Station. :cool:

-Kevin

wow, I'm sorry!! :laugh:

death to socal hippies. :mad:

http://img2.putfile.com/main/5/14716495552.jpg

No LSU, USC, or Stanford this year. LSU hasn't made a regional in 5 years, Omaha even longer.

Dr. Corkski
05-29-07, 06:35 PM
:laugh: :rofl: :rofl: :laugh:

dando
05-29-07, 11:47 PM
wow, I'm sorry!! :laugh:

Dude, 6th seed in the Big 10+1 tourney goes to the tourney, beating top-seed UM to boot. 'nuff said. :thumbup: :D

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
05-30-07, 12:38 PM
East coast bias.

I think we agree. If New Yorkers want to go crazy for the Yanks, more power to them, but Fox trying to sell them to folks in St Louis, Milwaukee or Parma makes no sense. Its just not how baseball works.

And as bad as the Yanks are right now why would anyone care? And is there anything about the Bosox, even playing 700+ baseball that compells anyone other than Bosox fans to care?

The only counter is that there are enough ex-New Yorkers and Bostonians around the country that follow the team still. At least they show up whenever they are on the road. Can't really say it is the same for other teams.

In short, Fox sux

Ankf00
05-30-07, 02:07 PM
They're coming... :flame:

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~dking/photos/Pugilist%20Anteater--Monteverde%201-94.jpg

Insomniac
05-30-07, 02:39 PM
I think we agree. If New Yorkers want to go crazy for the Yanks, more power to them, but Fox trying to sell them to folks in St Louis, Milwaukee or Parma makes no sense. Its just not how baseball works.

And as bad as the Yanks are right now why would anyone care? And is there anything about the Bosox, even playing 700+ baseball that compells anyone other than Bosox fans to care?

The only counter is that there are enough ex-New Yorkers and Bostonians around the country that follow the team still. At least they show up whenever they are on the road. Can't really say it is the same for other teams.

In short, Fox sux

I don't know about other people, but I haven't seen one Red Sox game on Fox this year (in the Midwest). It's always a team closer (StL mostly).

IlliniRacer
06-01-07, 05:11 PM
<SIGH> :shakehead

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-06/30217587.jpg

Ankf00
06-01-07, 05:33 PM

devilmaster
06-01-07, 06:42 PM
Naturally, I have both of them on my fantasy team....

http://www.sportsinferno.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif

Ankf00
06-04-07, 02:19 PM
li'l buggers took game 1, 2-1. 'eaters up 6-5 middle of 7th, rained out, resumes now.

Look into its eyes, eyes of Satan, it has. Aardvarks are canadian creations that are bent on anarchy and destruction. Aardvarks hate America. Death to the aardvark :flame:

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~dking/photos/Pugilist%20Anteater--Monteverde%201-94.jpg

devilmaster
06-04-07, 02:22 PM
we're watching you, little man.

http://www.westvan60.com/Images/Poppy%20coin%202004.jpg

Andrew Longman
06-04-07, 02:35 PM
I don't know about other people, but I haven't seen one Red Sox game on Fox this year (in the Midwest). It's always a team closer (StL mostly).

I'd much prefer that. I simply can't stand the Fox crew or Fox production or endless Fox hyperventilating promotion. ESPN and Joe Morgan are almost as annoying (Joe Morgan is fine so long as you accept there was never a greater team, not even close, than the Big Red Machine ;) ).

Just leave the Yanks on YES thank you.

Insomniac
06-04-07, 02:48 PM
I'd much prefer that. I simply can't stand the Fox crew or Fox production or endless Fox hyperventilating promotion. ESPN and Joe Morgan are almost as annoying (Joe Morgan is fine so long as you accept there was never a greater team, not even close, than the Big Red Machine ;) ).

Just leave the Yanks on YES thank you.

I did end up getti g the BoSox/NYY game Saturday on Fox. Joe Buck was nearly hyperventilating about A-Rod being misunderstood and how it was a crime someone took a picture of him. It's entertaining that they blame the paparazzi and say he should get some privacy. I mean, they'd be a lot smarter to just not mention it. He was hanging out with a Playboy Bunny/Stripper, really want to defend the guy as the vicitm?

Ankf00
06-04-07, 02:58 PM
well that sucked. bases loaded 1 out and only 1 run from a BB. :\

want to know how a top 10 team isn't hosting their own regional and is in a national seed's regional on top of that, but, they won good 'n fair, congrats to them.

anteaters... :irked:

Dr. Corkski
06-04-07, 02:58 PM
Hi Ank.

:rofl: :laugh: :laugh: :rofl:

Ankf00
06-04-07, 03:10 PM
I hate life.

Dr. Corkski
06-09-07, 10:01 PM
Barry Zito does it again, proving that he is worth every last penny of the $126million at home to those yuppie douchebags.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6866/fulljgetty73395527jj011eu2.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1344/capt23cc412fc01d4e73943hs2.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/424/fulljgetty73395527jj005kw6.jpg

4IP, 9H, 4R, 106 pitches.

Barry Zito sucks.

Dr. Corkski
06-10-07, 06:39 PM
Damn, I might have to go to Omaha now. :laugh:

Ankf00
06-10-07, 11:35 PM
Omaha will be the best week of your life, ever. Seriously. Go.

It's even better when your team is there, if that's possible.

Ankf00
06-11-07, 12:07 PM
Rice's 1B, Joe Savory, heckled all weekend by an aggy mom with those oh so clever aggy taunts.

Catches a foul ball for the final out, walks over and hands her the ball, signed.

RHR_Fan
06-12-07, 09:27 PM
It was against the Brewers :(, but how about that no-hitter by Verlander. Geez!

Ankf00
06-12-07, 09:32 PM
ncaa selection committee == full of ****

bracket 1 at Omaha: Ore St, Fullerton, Irvine, ASU

bracket 2: UNC, Rice, L-ville, Miss St.

what are 2 pac 10 and 2 big west teams doing playing each other?

irvine should've been hosting their own regional, fullerton and OSU did. UNC Rice and Lville, and MSU all did.

Irvine & Fullerton would violate every team in the other bracket save Rice.

devilmaster
06-13-07, 12:13 AM
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/images/2007/06/12/F2QEQO9c.jpg

http://www.sportsinferno.com/forums/images/smilies/tigers.gif

dando
06-13-07, 12:19 AM
^^^ bandwagon :gomer:

The Lions are on the clock.... :D

-Kevin

chop456
06-13-07, 04:19 AM
The Lions are on the clock.... :D
Not only can't the Lions play football, apparently they can't do anything else, either. :D

Johnnie Morton's transition from the NFL to Mixed Martial Arts didn't go as planned for the former wide receiver.

Morton, 35, was knocked out just 38 seconds into the first round of his match against Bernard Ackah on Saturday night and then was suspended by the California State Athletic Commission after refusing to supply a urine sample for drug testing.
http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=2891840

Sorry, DM. :D

Ankf00
06-15-07, 08:17 PM
Gorilla Ball is back, well, for a day anyway.

Rice 15-10 L-ville http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/texasflag.gif

MSU UNC up now, ESPN2

Ankf00
06-17-07, 12:14 AM
sorry mike, but the ore st. away uniforms are absolutely hideous. looks like you guys picked up some iron ons from Academy right before the game :gomer:

cork's anteaters go down, 0-2 n bbq for the socal hippies, coming up. :p

Ankf00
06-18-07, 07:56 PM
'eaters 5-4 fullerton

the battle for orange county :tony:

Dr. Corkski
06-18-07, 09:24 PM
:D

IlliniRacer
06-19-07, 04:02 PM
The Beavs and the Dawgs must be proud:

http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/06/gobeavers.jpg

http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/06/gomississiippistate.jpg

Ankf00
06-19-07, 05:56 PM

and hate to break it to the tubby little guy, but MSU's been to Omaha a handful of times and always flamed out except once. This year was no exception.

Tim
06-19-07, 08:34 PM
Zito takes on the Brewers tomorrow.

Ankf00
06-19-07, 10:23 PM
YEA ANTEATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ankf00
06-19-07, 10:56 PM
Irvine needs to take their 3b coach outback and smother him.

Ankf00
06-19-07, 11:00 PM
YEA 'EATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greenie
06-19-07, 11:06 PM
There might be something in the water in OC (or at least the Santa Ana River) :gomer:

Pronger and some teammates (all sporting Angels caps) had the Cup in the press box at the big A a couple innings ago. :cool: