PDA

View Full Version : What if Speed held a racing reality show, but didn't tell anyone?

Fio1
04-01-07, 02:23 AM
Did anyone see the ad for Setup the new reality TV show on Speed with $100,000 prize during the ALMS race?

About 1 month ago I was at Willow Springs helping a friend who was testing his new lotus while they were shooting this thing. I asked around and found out that it was a sort of young driver search, were potential drivers signed up on the internet to be on the show. I went home that night and couldn't find anything on it. Nothing! No sign up sheet, nothing. And, I knew the name of it, so I figured I'd find out something. Imagine joe-blow young driver? How would any potential driver know about it if they didn't advertise or tell anybody? Well, when I saw the line-up of drivers, I was like who are these guys? This is not the future of American racing. When you see the show you will see what I saw. Not one hot-shot young kart racer, not one Skip Barber kid, not one Formula Mazda racer, not one SCCA champ, not even a young USAC racer or potential Busch hot-shot. You'll see a couple of fat a$$es, punk rockers and guys who look more like mechanics then drivers. I don't know were the line-up came from, I imagine they're a bunch of stunt drivers or club racers that work in the entertainment industry:shakehead

If I was a young up and coming karter or Skip Barber racer I'd be like, what the bleep is this farse? :thumdown:

BTW, maybe 2 guys were decent, but a lot of the 'last 10' were complete wankers, I can only imagine the guys that got cut....

Easy
04-01-07, 03:47 AM
Did anyone see the ad for Setup the new reality TV show on Speed with $100,000 prize during the ALMS race?

About 1 month ago I was at Willow Springs helping a friend who was testing his new lotus while they were shooting this thing. I asked around and found out that it was a sort of young driver search, were potential drivers signed up on the internet to be on the show. I went home that night and couldn't find anything on it. Nothing! No sign up sheet, nothing. And, I knew the name of it, so I figured I'd find out something. Imagine joe-blow young driver? How would any potential driver know about it if they didn't advertise or tell anybody? Well, when I saw the line-up of drivers, I was like who are these guys? This is not the future of American racing. When you see the show you will see what I saw. Not one hot-shot young kart racer, not one Skip Barber kid, not one Formula Mazda racer, not one SCCA champ, not even a young USAC racer or potential Busch hot-shot. You'll see a couple of fat a$$es, punk rockers and guys who look more like mechanics then drivers. I don't know were the line-up came from, I imagine they're a bunch of stunt drivers or club racers that work in the entertainment industry:shakehead

If I was a young up and coming karter or Skip Barber racer I'd be like, what the bleep is this farse? :thumdown:

BTW, maybe 2 guys were decent, but a lot of the 'last 10' were complete wankers, I can only imagine the guys that got cut....

Is Nelson Philips on this show? I heard he doesn't have a ride this year.

Sean O'Gorman
04-01-07, 12:40 PM

Is this post for real?

I've run against (and had my ass kicked by) a number of the contestants in this show. Many of them are front running national level autocrossers, and as history has proven, even mediocre autocrossers can win in club and pro road racing.

When an entire season of national level autocross costs about as much as a Skip Barber 3-day school, it makes the racing much more accessible, and thus provides more of an opportunity for talent to shine. Fio, all the types of drivers you named have rich dads who are living vicariously through their sons pushing them up through the ranks. Most autocrossers are self-funded. I know which drivers I think are more deserving of being invited to a show like this.

Rogue Leader
04-01-07, 04:43 PM
A friend of mine tried out for this show as well. IIRC they allowed people with racing experience like autocrossing and light karting but I believe they excluded anyone with formal training (ie Skip barber) or any sort of competition license.

Fio1
04-02-07, 01:30 AM
A friend of mine tried out for this show as well. IIRC they allowed people with racing experience like autocrossing and light karting but I believe they excluded anyone with formal training (ie Skip barber) or any sort of competition license.

OK, this makes sense then. How did the contestants here about the show?

Rogue Leader
04-02-07, 07:42 AM
OK, this makes sense then. How did the contestants here about the show?

He actually hears about it on some road racing message board, but it wasn't through a post. He had gotten into a convo with someone who turned out to be one of the producers or something, asked about his info, and then invited him to the show. My friend even said it was strange that they didn't seem to be asking around, but I guess they were actively searching on the DL to just get a good core group instead of 1000s of applicants.

The show is called Set-Up and basically each driver/mechanic combo is given a Pontiac Solstice and they have to upgrade it and race it each week.

Sean O'Gorman
04-02-07, 08:42 AM
From what I've been told too, all drivers were responsible for their own lodging and meals, which is why it has such a west coast bias.

Honestly, I don't know how you'd be able to ever hold an open audition for a racing reality show/driver search/whatever without high costs, not to mention the fact that it would be impossible to guarantee that the equipment would stay the same from driver to driver.

Gnam
04-02-07, 11:44 AM
I saw the ads for the show during the ALMS broadcast:
Premiers April 18th at 8pm
Yellow Soltice GXP's
one dude in a full beard

Fio1
04-02-07, 01:27 PM
I guess they were actively searching on the DL to just get a good core group instead of 1000s of applicants.

OK, interesting. I guess if they had a bunch of say Barber Dodge 2000 guys then people would say it was biased or something. So, maybe it was a pick and choose kind of deal like you said with 'scouts'. Like the Red Bull challenge.

The show is called Set-Up and basically each driver/mechanic combo is given a Pontiac Solstice and they have to upgrade it and race it each week.

So, it isn't just driving. Maybe, the 'mechanic' looking guys I saw were actually mechanics! :rofl:

Rogue Leader: did you friend make it on to the show?

Sean O'Gorman
04-02-07, 05:51 PM
I guess if they had a bunch of say Barber Dodge 2000 guys then people would say it was biased or something.

I would say it would just be boring. Didn't you used to post on 7G all the time about how dull most ladder series drivers are?

Rogue Leader
04-02-07, 06:20 PM
OK, interesting. I guess if they had a bunch of say Barber Dodge 2000 guys then people would say it was biased or something. So, maybe it was a pick and choose kind of deal like you said with 'scouts'. Like the Red Bull challenge.

I'd agree. I think one thing that may have worked against "The Contender" is that all those guys were already accomplished Pro Boxers, while I found the show to be compelling, the American public wants to see reality shows with regular shlubs doing "extraordinary" things.

So, it isn't just driving. Maybe, the 'mechanic' looking guys I saw were actually mechanics! :rofl:

Rogue Leader: did you friend make it on to the show?

Unfortunately no. Halfway through his tryout he was "on the bubble" and his Mechanic left him for some reason. he was unable to find a replacement and was eliminated.

PS Sean O that is correct, and my buddy is someone who doesnt have that kind of disposable cash, so it sucked for him.....

Fio1
04-03-07, 01:39 AM
Unfortunately no. Halfway through his tryout he was "on the bubble" and his Mechanic left him for some reason. he was unable to find a replacement and was eliminated.

You mean they had a try-out before they actually started filming? Or are you saying he was let go during the show and didn't make the finals?

I would say it would just be boring. Didn't you used to post on 7G all the time about how dull most ladder series drivers are?

Boring yes, but some are supper talented! But, at the end of the day you need to look like a pro if you want to be a pro. The bad boy MX thing only goes so far, and most people writing checks don't want it, look at PJ Chason.

Rogue Leader
04-03-07, 07:26 AM
You mean they had a try-out before they actually started filming? Or are you saying he was let go during the show and didn't make the finals?

They had a tryout beforehand but I believe they filmed the show immediately after. My friend said you can see him in a couple shots during the promo for it.

Fio1
04-03-07, 10:04 AM
They had a tryout beforehand but I believe they filmed the show immediately after. My friend said you can see him in a couple shots during the promo for it.

what kind of car did he drive?

Rogue Leader
04-03-07, 06:16 PM
what kind of car did he drive?

I believe all the cars are Pontiac Solstices...

Fio1
04-18-07, 08:51 PM
This is a joke! They drove shifter karts in shorts & t-shirts? One of the guys is 45 year-old tatooted figure 8 racer? Not to mention the fact that a few of these guys can't even fit in a race car....

Come on man! This is a big f***ing joke!

Sean O'Gorman
04-18-07, 09:21 PM
I only watched about 15 minutes of it, not enough to get an impression. That being said, Fio, if the show went the way you wanted it to, it would be full of aloof dorks with douchebag fathers like that Ryan kid.

Fio1
04-18-07, 11:28 PM
This show makes racing look like s****. It's embarasing. Compare circle track racing in Ohio with ALMS and tell me which you prefer? These guys look like dirt bags. I'm just glad it's on Speed and not on ABC or NBC.

Sean O'Gorman
04-18-07, 11:47 PM
http://www.setup-tv.com/

Sign up form for the show. Obviously it is too late now, but it was an open application.

racermike
04-19-07, 01:03 PM
Killer for most would be paying their own expenses for a MONTH.

I know for my job, when I was in Florida for 5 weeks last winter, that just my expenses for Hotel/Food was in the neighborhood of $7000, and that was an Extended Stay Deluxe, and a modest food per diem.

Not sure how many would be able to make it, leaving their job for a month, and still be able to pay bills.

If SpeedTV wanted to do something like this professionally, they need to open it up more, and be able to select entrants that dont have the financial means to pay for their entire trip.

Fio1
04-19-07, 01:13 PM
http://www.setup-tv.com/

Sign up form for the show. Obviously it is too late now, but it was an open application.

Ya, but how would anybody have known about it? To be honest, the 4 guys that got a lot of air time during the first episod didn't look like they had the right stuff at all. Especially the kid who turned down that sponsor. :shakehead I don't need to see him drive, I can tell he's a complete squid...:rolleyes:

Gnam
04-19-07, 01:44 PM
Don't think of it as a new ladder series. Take it for what it is, a Game Show.

They picked interesting characters who could drive reasonably well. My guess is the most talented driver will not win. Do we get to call in and vote? :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
05-07-07, 09:51 AM
Anyone watch this show on Speed? I watched last night, don't post any spoilers, it looks kind of entertaining.

Gnam
05-07-07, 10:49 AM
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12644

I've been watching, but not taking it super cereal. :p

Wheel-Nut
05-07-07, 11:03 AM
Thanks, I never opened that thread. So what's up with the dude that turned down his first sponsor? Dumba$$ . . . LOL . . .

Sean O'Gorman
05-07-07, 11:26 AM
The sponsor for Koni and the Jeremy guy who is kicking ass post at another forum I read at. They are pretty tight lipped.

I was shown where to apply for season 2, I'll have to dig up the link and post it here so Fio1 can stop whining about how no boring kart drivers were allowed in. :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
05-08-07, 09:43 AM
I watched the second show. Too bad for Ryan, no sponsor / no ride!! :laugh: :laugh:

I really don't feel bad for him. He turned down his first sponsor because he wanted a "national" backer and just a local. :shakehead

Fio1
05-10-07, 09:54 AM
This show is so bogus! Did anyone see last night's episod? They kept penalizing the dominating driver buy black flagging him to the rear of the field. Then they throw yellows for no reason to bunch the field. Basically, the producers have sentimental favorites and adjust the rules mid-race to help these guys win. On the other hand the pennalize the dominate driver to add spice and drama to the show. :yuck:

BOGUS! :rolleyes: :thumdown:

At the end of the day, it's TV so what was I expecting? A real race? :shakehead

Wheel-Nut
05-10-07, 09:54 AM
WOW, these guys must be trying out for NASCAR!! Beating and banging on each other the whole race. The Pontiac Solstice must be a pretty tough car.

Funny line from last nights show, one driver to another, "learn how to road race, AUTOCROSSER!!!" :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
05-10-07, 10:22 AM
The ironic thing is the person who hit him (Ron Bauer) has three years of road racing experience. Jeremy (who is a former autocrosser as well) apologized on the SPEED site and on a forum I post at saying he used the term to criticize his lack of racecraft. But don't let that get in the way of any future autocross bashing. :p

This show is becoming increasingly lame, but what do you expect, its reality TV. If it was just a bunch of races and no drama, no one would watch, because you could just watch professional racing instead.

Wheel-Nut
05-10-07, 10:40 AM
Not bashing Autocross, I just found that comment funny! Don't take everything so personal, your hair won't fall out as quick. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
05-10-07, 10:50 AM
Don't take everything so personal, your hair won't fall out as quick. ;)

I can't help that, its genetics. :(

Jag_Warrior
05-12-07, 04:06 PM
BOGUS! :rolleyes: :thumdown:

At the end of the day, it's TV so what was I expecting? A real race? :shakehead

I've seen a couple of episodes so far. And while I don't mean to (want to!!!) start sounding like Marksie AR1 Spyplanes, when I saw the various sponsors supporting this, my first thought was, "Why not Champ Car?" Is the idea of doing a show like this SO unique that none of the CCWS braintrust could develop the concept in SOME way?!

The producer of this show looked familiar to me when he was playing judge & jury to the two guys who kept bashing into each other. I knew I'd seen him somewhere before. He's the hack that used to do that biker build-off show on Speed. That build the bike in X days and it's yours *** clown. Other than the episode with Kerri Kasem, that show was like watching a weekly train wreck.

Sean O'Gorman
05-13-07, 10:03 AM
I've seen a couple of episodes so far. And while I don't mean to (want to!!!) start sounding like Marksie AR1 Spyplanes, when I saw the various sponsors supporting this, my first thought was, "Why not Champ Car?" Is the idea of doing a show like this SO unique that none of the CCWS braintrust could develop the concept in SOME way?!

They can't do that because Champ Car must take every possible precaution to prevent any suggestion of the series being accessible to anyone. Champ Car is only for the elite, yo, now sit down and watch your street race!

Wheel-Nut
05-21-07, 03:18 PM
What happened to this show? Is it over?

Gnam
05-21-07, 03:37 PM
No. They just took a week off. Maybe there was an emergency NASCAR event that required coverage, or Pinks had a extra long season finale, who knows?

Next episode: Wed. May 23, 8pm.

schedule (http://www.speedtv.com/programs/499/)