View Full Version : Forsythe to announce second driver today

Audi_A4
03-29-07, 09:51 AM
Martinez?

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/36330/

jonovision_man
03-29-07, 10:42 AM
I love the implication that no funding was found... :p

Despite team boss Gerald Forsythe’s promise that his squad would run a sole car for Paul Tracy if no funding could be found for a second Champ Car World Series entry, his Forsythe Championship Racing team has confirmed that it will announce a teammate for PT today.

jono

KLang
03-29-07, 11:13 AM
:thumbup: I have said all along that he would run another car. :cool:

If, as rumored, it is Dominguez I will be completely baffled and underwhelmed. :saywhat:

G.
03-29-07, 11:20 AM
If, as rumored, it is Dominguez I will be completely baffled and underwhelmed. :saywhat:Word.

I actually like Mario and would like to see him in a car (other drivers moreso), but I don't think he deserves a top ride. He had his chance.

jonovision_man
03-29-07, 11:47 AM
If, as rumored, it is Dominguez I will be completely baffled and underwhelmed. :saywhat:

If it is Dominguez...

... I will be happy that it isn't someone whose best result before now was a 19th place in Star Mazda.

jono

dando
03-29-07, 11:50 AM
:thumbup: I have said all along that he would run another car. :cool:

If, as rumored, it is Dumbinguez I will be completely baffled and underwhelmed. :saywhat:

Fixed your post, BTW. ;)

-Kevin

Ruben Barrios
03-29-07, 12:09 PM
Never saw that one come...

KLang
03-29-07, 12:22 PM
No link yet but Mario in with Telmex backing for the first three races. After last year I just don't get it. :confused:

Dr. Corkski
03-29-07, 12:32 PM
What's so hard to get about $$$? :tony:

Someone is actually paying for an extra car now and you go and bitch about the driver selection. :laugh:

Insomniac
03-29-07, 12:33 PM
No link yet but Mario in with Telmex backing for the first three races. After last year I just don't get it. :confused:

WTH. He gets fired and takes out his team mate twice and he's back? I guess there's no pride on either side.

Gnam
03-29-07, 12:45 PM
So which underperforming driver will replace Dominguez after Forsythe fires him again this year? Legge, Speedy Dan, GoMindy? Fortune and Glory awaits...

Racing Truth
03-29-07, 01:06 PM
What's so hard to get about $$$? :tony:

Someone is actually paying for an extra car now and you go and bitch about the driver selection. :laugh:

Yep, not too hard to understand.

KLang
03-29-07, 01:17 PM
WTH. He gets fired and takes out his team mate twice and he's back? I guess there's no pride on either side.

I wonder what PT thinks of the news. :D

Wheel-Nut
03-29-07, 01:24 PM
So which underperforming driver will replace Dominguez after Forsythe fires him again this year? Legge, Speedy Dan, GoMindy? Fortune and Glory awaits...

Almondigger!! :laugh:

Hesketh
03-29-07, 01:58 PM
Here's the official announcement:

For Immediate Release

Mario Dominguez and Forsythe Championship Racing Reunite

Wheeling, Illinois- April 29th, 2007- Forsythe Championship Racing is proud to announce that it has secured the services of veteran Mexican Champ Car Driver Mario Dominguez to pilot the #7 Telmex/INDECK Cosworth/Bridgestone/DP01 for the first three rounds of the 2007 Champ Car World Series. This will be the second time that Dominguez and the Forsythe Team join forces, as the Mexico City native competed with the blue and white team for the full 2005 Season and four events in 2006, securing two podiums finishes, and a career first Pole Position for Dominguez at the Houston Grand Prix.

Dominguez is one Champ Car’s most experienced drivers and will begin his sixth full Season of Champ Car competition in the Series. In his 78 starts he has captured two Victories, one Pole Position, 11 Podiums, and has finished among the top 10 in the Championship four times. He has also become one of the most recognizable sports figures among Latin American fans both in Mexico and in the United States.

Forsythe Championship Racing would also like to welcome back Telmex, Latin America’s leading communications company and new sponsor Cabicorp, developers of Promenada at Rainbow, a residential and commercial real estate development in Las Vegas as sponsors on the #7 Champ Car.

About Telmex:

Telmex is the leading communications company in Latin America with operations in Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Peru and United States. It invested over $29 billion USD between 1990-2005 to ensure the growth and modernization of its infrastructure, developing a 100% digital platform which operates one of the most technologically advanced fiber optic networks in the world, including subterranean cable connections between 39 countries.

Telmex and its subsidiaries offer the widest range of voice, data and video, internet access and integral solution services to all telecommunications segments; from public telephony, rural and residential, to client services for small and medium companies, to large national and international corporations.

About Promenada at Rainbow:

Promenada at Rainbow is one of many projects developed by Cabicorp, a leading real estate developer in the United States. Promenada is a resort style project in Las Vegas that includes various amenities such as two story gym with pool views, two pools with Jacuzzi, clubhouse, lounging area, and other amenities. It also includes a retail component that will give the project a true neighborhood feel, where people can work, live and play within walking distance. The project will open in the Winter of 2008.

Mario Dominguez

#7 Telmex/INDECK-Cosworth/Bridgestone/DP01

“I am extremely happy to be given this opportunity to come back to race for the Forsythe Team, I feel like I have unfinished business here and I would like to thank Mr. Forsythe from the bottom of my heart for giving me this opportunity to go chase victories for him again. We are going to give it all we’ve got for the first three races and we’ll all keep working on sponsorship which will hopefully come through so we can race for the rest of the year. I am 100% percent committed to this program and I will give Jerry the results that he wants, both on and off the track. I would also like to thank Telmex and Promenada at Rainbow for supporting me, without them none of this would be possible.

I had a chance to drive the DP01 in Sebring at the beginning of the year and I have no doubt that it will improve the racing this year. It is very fast and it should make the field a lot more competitive and more exciting for the fans to watch. It is quite stable and you can be aggressive with it, it really matches my driving style so I have no doubt that we will be very strong and that we’ll be able to hold high the Orgullo de México/Pride of Mexico”

Neil Micklewright

VP Team Operations

“We are very happy to have Mario back on the Team. When we were searching for a driver for the #7 car we knew we needed someone with experience that would help us develop the new car and who could be quick right out of the box. Even though we’ve been strong during testing with only one car, having two cars with two quick drivers will definitely speed up our understanding and development of the car, particularly as we visit these first three street circuits which have a lot of characteristics that we haven’t really been able to test with the DP01 yet. Mario has always been fast on temporary street circuits, and with the new chassis and his knowledge of the Team we’ll be in the best shape possible.”

Peter Davies

SVP Business Development

“With our Forsythe business interests and partners CIE in Mexico, Forsythe Racing has always had a special interest in running a Mexican driver. Last year there was a whole set of circumstances which unfortunately for Mario and the Team brought to a premature end his 2006 campaign with us, but with the help and support of Telmex and new sponsors Cabicorp and Promenada at Rainbow we hope we’ve created a catalyst to re-engage Mexican and Hispanic companies. On this note we would specially like to thank Telmex and Carlos Slim without whom this new Mexican initiative and potential would not have been possible.

Mario and all of us at the Team will be working extremely hard with our existing and potential sponsors to ensure that Mario can challenge for the 2007 Champ Car Championship for himself, Forsythe, his sponsors and Mexico.”

Jerry Forsythe

Team Owner

“It’s been a long and busy off season – Champ Car has secured stronger domestic and international television partners, our next generation race car, and new venues – new markets in Las Vegas, Europe, China and Phoenix. In considering a second driver for the Team, Mario was always an obvious choice; he not only has a lot of experience and success with the Team, but also has a huge following in Mexico and among the Latin fans in the United States. These are two key targets groups for Champ Car and it is important to give these fans a hero to cheer for and to provide Latin American companies a Motorsports platform through which to promote their products, services and brands.

With Mario Dominguez and Champ Car’s exciting festivals of speed in key North American markets I very much hope we can re-establish and grow strong partnerships with Mexican and Latin corporations.”

Insomniac
03-29-07, 02:09 PM

Was he the reason Mario got fired in the first place? I mean, I'm sure he was mad about being taken out by his team mate, but did he want Mario gone?

Wheel-Nut
03-29-07, 02:17 PM
I thought I read last year Mario was let go because he was trying to "undo" the work that had already been done in regards to car setups.

jonovision_man
03-29-07, 02:21 PM

"Whew! I won't get my a** handed to me by my teammate this year!"

jono

nrc
03-29-07, 02:24 PM

jono

Probably not "handed to" but perhaps "rammed into".

KLang
03-29-07, 02:37 PM
Was he the reason Mario got fired in the first place? I mean, I'm sure he was mad about being taken out by his team mate, but did he want Mario gone?

I thought I read last year Mario was let go because he was trying to "undo" the work that had already been done in regards to car setups.

I don't recall reading anything about PT being behind it. He did talk about the issue of Mario not cooperating on what the team was trying to do with set-ups. It appears Jerry has decided to forget about the whole matter.

Perhaps there was more going on with the whole AJ/Mario deal then was made public? Especially if you factor in Russo's eventual departure.

Insomniac
03-29-07, 02:40 PM

That's what PT was saying, but then AJ stepped into that car. I don't know if they changed the setup to match PTs (they said Mario wanted to run an old setup while PT would run the one they spent money on to produce with testing) or kept running Mario's.

Insomniac
03-29-07, 02:41 PM
Perhaps there was more going on with the whole AJ/Mario deal then was made public? Especially if you factor in Russo's eventual departure.

I don't think Mario would've been fired if AJ wasn't first.

Andrew Longman
03-29-07, 02:47 PM
Forsythe Championship Racing is proud to announce that it has secured the services of veteran Mexican Champ Car Driver Mario Dominguez to pilot the #7 Telmex/INDECK Cosworth/Bridgestone/DP01 for the first three rounds of the 2007 Champ Car World Series.

WTF?

They still can't get this field sorted. Unbelievable.:rolleyes:

Real story is MD brings the Telmex $

meadors
03-29-07, 03:17 PM
I don't recall reading anything about PT being behind it. He did talk about the issue of Mario not cooperating on what the team was trying to do with set-ups. It appears Jerry has decided to forget about the whole matter.

I always thought that whole series of transactions was about getting a "talented" marketable American into a top team. Management pulled some strings and orchestrated a musical chairs scenario to get Almadingyer to FCR to help create buzz for the series.

diamond dave
03-29-07, 03:32 PM
wasn't Brown (not there anymore?) the guy that Mario wanted from his HVM days. Yet he or they complained about the set ups of the car(s)?

Hesketh
03-29-07, 04:00 PM
wasn't Brown (not there anymore?) the guy that Mario wanted from his HVM days. Yet he or they complained about the set ups of the car(s)?

Mario wanted (demanded) Cannon.

Hesketh
03-29-07, 04:04 PM

From what I understand, the timing was a coincidence. In fact, KK pushed GF to pick up 'Dinger after Mario was gone.

PT did have something to do with it; he had a fit about Mario's performances ruining his races. Neil had "the talk" with MD, letting him know just exactly who was #1 and who wore the Rubens Barichello #2 hat. Mario was pissed. Words were exchanged, MD was shown the door.

Considering what was said by both sides, I'm surprised to see MD back at FCR.

RHR_Fan
03-29-07, 04:04 PM
I didn't think it was going to be MD, but if he has Telmex $$$. So it is only for the first three races?

~Nicole

cameraman
03-29-07, 04:15 PM
Guess he heads back to DCR after that:rolleyes:

Insomniac
03-29-07, 04:19 PM
I always thought that whole series of transactions was about getting a "talented" marketable American into a top team. Management pulled some strings and orchestrated a musical chairs scenario to get Almadingyer to FCR to help create buzz for the series.

Justin Wilson proved RuSport was a top team last year.

Insomniac
03-29-07, 04:21 PM
From what I understand, the timing was a coincidence. In fact, KK pushed GF to pick up 'Dinger after Mario was gone.

PT did have something to do with it; he had a fit about Mario's performances ruining his races. Neil had "the talk" with MD, letting him know just exactly who was #1 and who wore the Rubens Barichello #2 hat. Mario was pissed. Words were exchanged, MD was shown the door.

Considering what was said by both sides, I'm surprised to see MD back at FCR.

I don't believe this story at all (That PT demands to be #1 and his team mate can't do better than him).

diamond dave
03-29-07, 04:22 PM
Mario wanted (demanded) Cannon.

Doh!:gomer:
that's who I meant (Cannon)

Hesketh
03-29-07, 04:58 PM
I don't believe this story at all (That PT demands to be #1 and his team mate can't do better than him).

I didn't say PT demanded to be #1. I said PT had a fit about Mario crashing into him and ruining his races. The team then told MD that efforts were going to be put behind PT and that Mario would be #2. Mario didn't like that.

Understand the difference between what I wrote and what you read now?

Accipiter
03-29-07, 06:56 PM
Ha! Dominguez! Too funny.

If he doesn't get fired again, he'll beat Tracy in the Championship.

Ruben Barrios
03-29-07, 07:57 PM
It's no secret that PT wants to be #1 in the team having Mario and AJ eclipse him was something that PT couldn't handle that's why he was so "distracted" last year...

jonovision_man
03-29-07, 08:26 PM
It's no secret that PT wants to be #1 in the team

Maybe he should focus more on getting the car accross the finish line and less on knocking people out. :p

Don't get me wrong... I like the guy... :) he's great for the series, created the only buzz outside of Katherine's wreck that got the media's attention. But he's jacka**'d himself out of more than one championship by now. He has (had?) the speed, but doesn't have the consistency or temperment.

jono

Robstar
03-29-07, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by jonovision_man View Post

jono

Probably not "handed to" but perhaps "rammed into".

:saywhat: :D

Insomniac
03-29-07, 09:20 PM
I didn't say PT demanded to be #1. I said PT had a fit about Mario crashing into him and ruining his races. The team then told MD that efforts were going to be put behind PT and that Mario would be #2. Mario didn't like that.

Understand the difference between what I wrote and what you read now?

I admit, I did mis-read it.

meadors
03-29-07, 09:35 PM
Justin Wilson proved RuSport was a top team last year.

Touche'

Actually though, like you say, Justin, not AJ proved RuSport to be a top tier team.
It all just seemed too convenient that AJ started winning at Forsythe, as if Rusport could only put it together for one car and Wilson was it.
I could be wrong, but I think AJ was just good enough to do well at a team like Forsythe but not quite at RuSport. Hence Forsythe having just a few more resources got him to the podium. In other words at FCR JW would have still handed AJ his ***.

It sure looked like a orchestrated move to me, but that's just my own conspiracy theory. It probably went down just as those close to the scene say it did. ;)

Ruben Barrios
03-29-07, 11:39 PM
Don't get me wrong... I like the guy... he's great for the series, created the only buzz outside of Katherine's wreck that got the media's attention. But he's jacka**'d himself out of more than one championship by now. He has (had?) the speed, but doesn't have the consistency or temperment.

I will say this I have never seen a man so focused and ready to be champion than PT in 2003 (the first half of the season at least)

That PT I respect and miss in the grid... the moron that raced last season.... I wouldn't wish that on any series... a red eyed brain dead bull on a cruzade to destroy equipment...

With the new Panoz there is no history of set ups.... we will see the racer PT can or can't be...

I believe he is lacking we'll see. At any rate I predict MD will be a top of PT the three races he'll be there...

rabbit
03-29-07, 11:46 PM
For 15 years people have been saying, "Hopefully PT has developed some maturity this season." And for 15 years he has failed to deliver. His championship should have just as much of an * beside it as Eddie Cheever's Indy 500 win.

That said, I'm glad he's in our series. And I'm thankful for his support of the series over the years. I wouldn't trade him for anybody. :thumbup:

Insomniac
03-30-07, 09:06 AM
Touche'

Actually though, like you say, Justin, not AJ proved RuSport to be a top tier team.
It all just seemed too convenient that AJ started winning at Forsythe, as if Rusport could only put it together for one car and Wilson was it.
I could be wrong, but I think AJ was just good enough to do well at a team like Forsythe but not quite at RuSport. Hence Forsythe having just a few more resources got him to the podium. In other words at FCR JW would have still handed AJ his ***.

It sure looked like a orchestrated move to me, but that's just my own conspiracy theory. It probably went down just as those close to the scene say it did. ;)

My guess is RuSport couldn't improve the car and AJ stepped into a better car at FCR. Basically, in terms of performance, I think if all 3 are in FCR cars, it goes Wilson > AJ > PT.

So, I agree with you. :)

jonovision_man
03-30-07, 10:58 AM
That said, I'm glad he's in our series. And I'm thankful for his support of the series over the years. I wouldn't trade him for anybody. :thumbup:

He's a character... you need characters. Good stories make the races compelling.

The PT-SB rivalry is one of the best in sport. It's been so bitter and constant... even with PT off the pace last year they managed to bump heads (and cars!). I don't think SB would have had a very interesting rivalry with anyone else, would have been too mature and professional... how interesting is that? :p

jono