PDA

View Full Version : FINA Swimming World Championships

IlliniRacer
03-28-07, 10:03 AM
Since my son began swimming competitively three years ago, I've gotten to see such exotic places like Kenosha, Carbondale, Indy, etc. Last month he swam an incredible 50 Breast that will now see us canceling our week vacation at a beach house in Gulf Shores for the always lovely Topeka, KS.

Last month, many of the top US swimmers converged unto Columbia, MO for the last tune up before the World Championships. We got the pleasure of seeing Michael Phelps "tune up" with a WR in the 200 Fly and Natalie Coughlin set an American Record in the 100 Free.

Over the last two nights ago, Phelps broke the "unbreakable" WR in the 200 Free and followed it up by crushing the 200 Fly WR he set in Columbia.

Fox Sports is carrying the Championships on a next day feed from Melbourne. You should really see these guys perform. It's just simply amazing.

Phelps breaks own record in 200-meter butterfly (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/swimming/news/story?id=2815304)

pfc_m_drake
03-28-07, 10:17 AM
I saw that yesterday. First time under 1:44:00 for 200m free.

There must be something in the water because they also set new WRs for the mens and women's 100m back yesterday.

opinionated ow
03-28-07, 10:54 AM

There must be something in the water because they also set new WRs for the mens and women's 100m back yesterday.

he got another today. 100m fly in 1:52 iirc.

that french shiela that is winning is hot. i was falling in love with her until i saw the tongue ring :( laure manadou
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/lupolin/laure.jpg

Insomniac
03-28-07, 11:07 AM

Are they still using those crazy suits that help with times?

Ankf00
03-28-07, 11:16 AM
Texas Swim:

Aaron Piersol, WR in backstroke
Neil Walker gold
Garrett Weber-Gale gold
Brenden Hansen gold
Ian Crocker silver

http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/hookem.gif

opinionated ow
03-28-07, 11:19 AM
heard tonight that USA is not getting any coverage at all, apparently they didn't even send over a TV crew. We are getting 90 minutes+ of live finals every night. Japan is getting the same.

IlliniRacer
03-28-07, 11:40 AM
heard tonight that USA is not getting any coverage at all, apparently they didn't even send over a TV crew. We are getting 90 minutes+ of live finals every night. Japan is getting the same.

Fox Sports is picking up the Australian feed. Nothing from Day 1, Day 2 was 60 mins, Day 3 was 2 hrs. Not sure who the Aussie announcers are, Male play by play with a Female commentator, but they are very good. :thumbup: Sure beats the usual Al Trautwig and <insert aging US swimmer who shouts everything>.

Texas Swim:

Aaron Piersol, WR in backstroke
Neil Walker gold
Garrett Weber-Gale gold
Brenden Hansen gold
Ian Crocker silver

My son wants to be the next Brenden Hansen, I even bought him a Longhorns swim cap awhile back. I just hope it won't cause a rash. ;)

opinionated ow
03-28-07, 11:43 AM
Fox Sports is picking up the Australian feed. Nothing from Day 1, Day 2 was 60 mins, Day 3 was 2 hrs. Not sure who the Aussie announcers are, Male play by play with a Female commentator, but they are very good. :thumbup: Sure beats the usual Al Trautwig and <insert aging US swimmer who shouts everything>.

My son wants to be the next Brenden Hansen, I even bought him a Longhorns swim cap awhile back. I just hope it won't cause a rash. ;)

you would be getting ray warren (he is also a rugby league commentator but loves the swimming), nicole livingstone nee stevenson (yup the backstroker), giaan rooney (yup the freestyler/backstroker) and duncan armstrong (yup the freestyler). if you show a natural talent for tv and you retire, chances are channel nine will pick you up for the swimming broadcasts. then again, you could be picking up the fox sports feed and i have no idea if they are using the same commentators.

Ankf00
03-28-07, 12:12 PM
Sweet! :D Their swim facility is niiiiice.

pfc_m_drake
03-28-07, 01:42 PM
Are they still using those crazy suits that help with times?
You mean the Speedo Fastskin suits? Some do but a lot do not. I don't know that they help all that much, I could see them working against you in some respects, actually.

RHR_Fan
03-28-07, 04:09 PM
Mmmmmm...men in speedos. :D Well at least some of them. They certainly don't leave much to the imagination.

Illini that's awesome about your son and swimming. How old is he?

~Nicole

oddlycalm
03-28-07, 06:58 PM
such exotic places like Kenosha, Carbondale, Indy, etc. [/URL] You got that right, indoor pools that mostly look the same in locations you would never otherwise visit. You probably already know the regular cast of parents I expect. Congrats to your son. :thumbup:

oc

Insomniac
03-28-07, 09:05 PM
You mean the Speedo Fastskin suits? Some do but a lot do not. I don't know that they help all that much, I could see them working against you in some respects, actually.

I think. I don't remember enough from the '04 Olympics, but I thought they were going to help knock down times like those clicker ice skates did for speed skating.

Robstar
03-29-07, 02:03 AM
The Ukranian father/daughter biffo has definately been one of the highlights... :\