PDA

View Full Version : Car of Tomorrow

Hard Driver
03-25-07, 10:08 PM
I just read the race report on the NASCAR race because I was a bit curious about the COT. They said they spent 7 years developing the car of tomorrow ??? :\ Obviously I don't follow NASCAR not knowing this. But WTF, 7 years to develop a new tube chassis. I know southerners are slower, but geeeze. ;) (Just kidding southerners)

Audi_A4
03-25-07, 10:15 PM
I just read the race report on the NASCAR race because I was a bit curious about the COT. They said they spent 7 years developing the car of tomorrow ??? :\ Obviously I don't follow NASCAR not knowing this. But WTF, 7 years to develop a new tube chassis. I know southerners are slower, but geeeze. ;) (Just kidding southerners)

its an ugly big tank but so are the cars they represent. I rented a Chevy Impala to drive from Miami to Orlando 2 weeks and it really sucked, no wonder GM is going Bankrupt.

Andrew Longman
03-26-07, 09:54 AM
It is not pretty and it is being WAY overhyped. Listening to DW gush about it is enough to make you puke. Introducing it over a three year period make so sense either. Dale Jarrott had to drop out of the race because is rear wing shattered from contact with the wall and no matter how they fixed the car he was not allowed to return to the track without an intact wing.

BUT I think the car performed as promised and actually looks more like the stock cars of the 80s. And I like that it is a symetrical car and not all tricked out with warps and twists to try to get a little more aero advantage.

It took seven years because of the need to get endless buy in to all the spec stuff on the car. There is actually almost nothing that a team can really innovate on and not a lot of people were very willingly going to give up the advantages they've built up over time. In the end they still pretty much just forced it onto teams.

opinionated ow
03-26-07, 10:22 AM
i give it until next year. it won't surface in 2008. the safety improvements could easily be adapted into the current shape cars.

oddlycalm
03-26-07, 03:11 PM
Blunderbuss cop cars with ricer wings, nice...:gomer: I always dreamed race cars would look like this. :rofl:

The long time fans are disgusted, the casual fans don't know the difference, and any innovation is further supressed. The only way COT is an accurate description is if today is 1965.

NASCAR knew their fans well enough to know there would be open revolt so they inched the camel into the tent just like they did with Toyota and just like they will do with replacing some of their traditional races with cookie cutter 3/4 mile tracks in large urban markets. The fans won't have to wake up one day and find their whole world turned upside down. In other words, the Frances aren't as stupid as Tony George...

oc

Accipiter
03-26-07, 04:40 PM
They don't look great, but neither do the asymetrical, arodynamically warped-out bodies that the old cars have evolved into. And since the racing isn't greatly impacted, and the safety is higher, I'm all for them at this point.

And Boo-hoo to Dale Jarrett for not being able to run a rolling wreck around the track at half-speed like he could with the old cars. That works for me too.

Andrew Longman
03-26-07, 04:49 PM
And Boo-hoo to Dale Jarrett for not being able to run a rolling wreck around the track at half-speed like he could with the old cars. That works for me too.

Agreed. But its a change people are going to have to get used to and the sport points system rewards drivers for going around dragging sheetmetal.

And at some point in the season some driver is going to be threatened with missing the chase because he finished 43 in points when he was taken out early with minor damage but a shattered wing he wasn't allowed to replace.

It is a predictable part of the NASCAR soap drama

Winston Wolfe
03-26-07, 08:40 PM
Dont know if y'all caught the last few laps of the race, but when younger Busch (I think we were calling him "Shrub" at one point) was doin' his "winner's circle-thank all of the sponsors" routine, he clearly said into the FOX microphone something to the effect of "This car sucks... " and "this thing is a pig" or something like that....

I didnt really notice a difference in the appearance of the cars, and have thought they all started looking the same some time ago....

it also strikes me as more than mildly amusing that they call the amoeba looking device that won the race a Chevy Impala, and that it was the first time in some time that one had actually won a race !!!! :rofl:

arent they all the same with the exception of a few decals ????:confused:

Badger
03-26-07, 08:51 PM
BUT I think the car performed as promised and actually looks more like the stock cars of the 80s. And I like that it is a symetrical car and not all tricked out with warps and twists to try to get a little more aero advantage.

I'll take the symetrical look over the warped twisted look any day. I started noticing it last year but the current Chevy doesn't have one left side contour that is the same shape or height as on the right.

pchall
03-26-07, 09:39 PM

Will he have to give his sponsors a rebate for the missing TV time?

Inquiring Joyce Julius Report fans need to know. :D

Audi_A4
03-26-07, 11:01 PM
So is a FORD, CHEVY, DODGE, TOYOTA all the same car but with different tail light and head light stickers? with the COT?

opinionated ow
03-26-07, 11:14 PM
So is a FORD, CHEVY, DODGE, TOYOTA all the same car but with different tail light and head light stickers? with the COT?

yes, stickers and motor are only differentiation

Methanolandbrats
03-26-07, 11:34 PM
GM ran an ad with half-Earnhardt swapping his ride with a street version driven by his home boy. F'n transparent, stupid attempt to convice the sister banging, Bud swilling cab fans that they be watchn' stock cars. Amazing. Can motorsports get any worse? CART/Champcar on life support, Max alive and talking **** about F1, IRL drew a crowd and Grand Am exists. :yuck:

opinionated ow
03-26-07, 11:37 PM
GM ran an ad with half-Earnhardt swapping his ride with a street version driven by his home boy. F'n transparent, stupid attempt to convice the sister banging, Bud swilling cab fans that they be watchn' stock cars. Amazing. Can motorsports get any worse? CART/Champcar on life support, Max alive and talking **** about F1, IRL drew a crowd and Grand Am exists. :yuck:

irl drew a crowd? i saw somewhere 715 tickets sold.