PDA

View Full Version : wtf is wrong with people? (coach at cricket world cup murdered)

Ankf00
03-23-07, 02:43 PM
ICC world cup is going on in the carribbean currently, India's about to get knocked out by Sri Lanka after getting spanked by Bangladesh earlier.

After Pakistan lost to Ireland, their manager, Bob Woolmer, was found dead in his hotel room and the police are saying that he was strangled to death. Originally ruled "accidental," then "suspicious," now "murder."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-6503012,00.html

all over a bloody sporting match? :confused: :thumdown:

mapguy
03-23-07, 02:59 PM
Well, it is cricket...

devilmaster
03-23-07, 03:01 PM
all over a bloody sporting match?

I am quite surprised that this surprises you.... :confused:

Ankf00
03-23-07, 03:04 PM
random fans throwing rocks or something, ok.

but people that the coach knows coming into his hotel room and off'ing him? that is highly unexpected. Jamaica isn't Colombia.

devilmaster
03-23-07, 03:17 PM
random fans throwing rocks or something, ok.

Well throwing rocks shouldn't be ok, but we'll leave that for another day.. :laugh:

North Americans have been spared from the type of violence that can happen at sporting events. (and i don't count those two morons from Chicago(?) who attacked the first base coach - they were drugged and drunk) I'm talking about the violence because fans are so pissed that their home team lost to a bitter rival and the like.

I've seen video with a matador getting attacked by a fan years ago because he didn't want to kill the bull.

I sorta recall a soccer player or coach being killed years ago too.

If NA did see that kind of violence, I'd assume IMS would have been torched to the ground after the 96 race.

Ankf00
03-23-07, 03:27 PM
not that rocks are acceptable, just that it's within the realm of comprehension. Pakis throw rocks, Clevelanders throw glass beer bottles...

when's the last time a noteable international sports figure was murdered because of a sporting result? the colombian soccer player gunned down at home after scoring an own goal vs. USA in WC'94 notwithstanding, Bogota bordered upon anarchy back then anyway.

regardless, I still find it shocking despite the rampant hooliganism beyond the seas.

Don Quixote
03-23-07, 03:29 PM
Most of our sporting violence in the states involves parents at little league events. :gomer:

TravelGal
03-23-07, 03:53 PM
Most of our sporting violence in the states involves parents at little league events. :gomer:

Just what I was thinking.

TravelGuy refuses to coach because the parents are so awful. It's too bad because he would be so good at it, given his knowledge of sports and love of kids.

OTOH it's probably a good thing or you'd be reading about HIM killing the parents and I sort of like having him at home rather than in jail.

Andrew Longman
03-23-07, 04:12 PM
There is some talk that this could have to do with gamblers.

The dead coach played on a team for S Africa that had its coach banned for throwing a match.

Losing to Ireland was pretty unlikely. Someone lost a lot of money.

OTOH it would just be a wacky Pakastani cricket fan. Remember the Colombian soccer (football) goalie who was murdered after accidentally scoring on himself in a World Cup loss?

devilmaster
03-23-07, 04:13 PM
when's the last time a noteable international sports figure was murdered because of a sporting result?

Are we sure of that? Hell, the police first said it was accidental, then suspicious, then murder? Why don't I feel confident that they can run a proper investigation?!?

I'm not saying he wasn't murdered because of his teams actions, but there could be other reasons - and I suspect the public will never truly know what happened.

Andrew Longman
03-23-07, 04:28 PM
Why don't I feel confident that they can run a proper investigation?!?

I'm not saying he wasn't murdered because of his teams actions, but there could be other reasons - and I suspect the public will never truly know what happened.

Maybe Jamaica is taking lessons from Aruba.:D

More seriously, my paper reported that the room was covered in blood and vomit. It also said their initial autopsy was inconclusive so they brought in a medical examiner from the US who said it was strangulation.

Ankf00
03-23-07, 04:31 PM
Scotland Yard is involved now as well.

Three days after Woolmer's death, former Ireland Cricket Union president Robert Kerr was found dead of a suspected heart attack. Although police have not linked the two deaths, they have cast a cloud on what should have been a festival of cricket.

The sport has been tainted by scandals for years.

Woolmer was South Africa's coach when team captain Hansie Cronje was exposed for match fixing in the 1990s.

Cronje admitted he took up to $100,000 from gamblers and bookmakers while on a tour of India in 1996 in return for match information, although he denied fixing a game. He was banned for life in 2000 and, two years after the scandal was exposed, died in a plane crash at age 32.

That scandal also ended the careers of former India captain Mohammed Azharuddin, who was banned for life along with teammate Ajay Sharma, and Pakistan batsman Salim Malik and fast bowler Ata-ur Rehman for conspiring with bookmakers to fix matches.

"It is still going on," said former Pakistan fast bowler Sarfraz Nawaz. "I believe Woolmer found out about what went on and was about to reveal all. Woolmer is not the first person in cricket to be fooled by these people. Hansie Cronje died in a plane crash that has never been properly explained."

Woolmer was among the South African cricket officials questioned about the 1996 scandal, although he was never accused of match fixing. He was writing a book that touched on corruption in cricket, and Pakistan team spokesman Parvez Mir said the coach was upset that proofs of the book were missing.

"Bob told me the proofs had been misplaced and he was very disturbed," Mir told reporters. "I don't know what was in the book, but that was his only copy at the time."

G.
03-23-07, 04:38 PM
If it was beach volleyball, I guess I could understand, but Cricket???

devilmaster
03-23-07, 05:11 PM
More seriously, my paper reported that the room was covered in blood and vomit.

Hmmm, looks to be accidental to me. [/foreign cop] :eek: :shakehead

Gnam
03-23-07, 05:33 PM
North Americans have been spared from the type of violence that can happen at sporting events.
In America, we leave the post game violence up to the athletes. ;)

Cam
03-23-07, 06:07 PM
If NA did see that kind of violence, I'd assume IMS would have been torched to the ground after the 96 race.

Aluminium does not burn very well... :gomer:

Ankf00
03-23-07, 06:52 PM
http://www.geocities.com/cricketparadise/sachinpic2.jpg

I want his head on a pike :flame:

^^^ I'm trying to get into the spirit of things, you know, seeing as Mumbai's going to be burnt to the ground tonight :gomer:

TrueBrit
03-23-07, 07:30 PM
This is a MUCH better picture of Sachin from today's game...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42722000/jpg/_42722415_sachin270.jpg

:rofl: :laugh: :D

TrueBrit
03-23-07, 07:39 PM
...in all seriousness it is a terrible tragedy about Bob Woolmer...an all around good guy...played for my home county in England...

If it IS murder (and the Carribean Islands haven't exactly outshone anyone in recent times with their pathology/investigation/detecting skills), chances are it was someone he knew due to the fact that there was no sign of forced entry...couple that with the fact that Bob was a pretty big bloke and it may mean that there was more than one murderer...

He was also rumoured to be writing a tell-all book about his life and what with the problems surrounding the SA team, and the continuing murmurs about match fixing, this could wind up being a very dark day for cricket indeed...

If I was Greg Chapell (the coach of the Indian team that are all but out in the first round) I would make sure to have as many people around me at all times...

Ankf00
03-23-07, 07:45 PM
This is a MUCH better picture of Sachin from today's game...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42722000/jpg/_42722415_sachin270.jpg

:rofl: :D

one day I'm going to buy you a beer.

...then I'm gonna throw a coke on you.

:p

DagoFast
03-23-07, 08:01 PM

If Cheebers win or Tracy's robbery didn't bring out the torches, nothing will.

'Muricans are alot like OC'ers I guess.

emjaya
03-24-07, 06:06 AM
What everybody is thinking, but no-one wants to say, is that Woolmer was probably murdered by one or more members of the Pakistan cricket team after Pakistan threw the game with Ireland.

It's made it hard to get excited about Australia's inevitable victory. Bob Woolner was a nice guy. :(

TrueBrit
03-24-07, 05:27 PM
What everybody is thinking, but no-one wants to say, is that Woolmer was probably murdered by one or more members of the Pakistan cricket team after Pakistan threw the game with Ireland.

It's made it hard to get excited about Australia's inevitable victory. Bob Woolner was a nice guy. :(

The local cops are "interviewing" the Pakistan Captain and an Assistant Coach....fingerprints and DNA have been taken from all team members...

Ankf00
03-24-07, 06:02 PM
considering the friendship Inzamam has with some of Hindustan's younger cricketers I wouldn't believe for a second he or any of his men could be behind this. individual friendships between both sides is a decades old tradition. they may carry their nation's pride, but they don't carry any of their loony countrymen's hatred.

Kiwifan
03-24-07, 06:44 PM
It's made it hard to get excited about Australia's inevitable victory. :(

Ha ha, an Aussie with a sense of humor! ;) Who beat ya last month? And before that? And that? And didn't England beat ya? :D

Come on em', you can say it, "Sri Lanka, South Africa, England, New Zealand...."

It's building mate, just p's me off that someone thinks/thought a human life is less important than a game of cricket. (Which I love btw, yeah even when it's the Aussies playing. If I could just find a way to put Bill Lawry on mute. :) )

Take care Aussie,

Rusty.

devilmaster
03-24-07, 06:51 PM
I love it when aussies and kiwis go at it....

Its so...... cute. :laugh: ;)

Kiwifan
03-24-07, 09:45 PM
Shuddup Yank. :D Just joking, mate, just joking!!!!!

It's all good, em's ok. :thumbup:

Rusty.

emjaya
03-24-07, 11:59 PM
Ha ha, an Aussie with a sense of humor! ;) Who beat ya last month? And before that? And that? And didn't England beat ya?

Hmmm, Australia hammers England all summer, they win back the Ashes 5-0, then two games in to the one day series they fall apart and don't win another game. England wins the one day series. :saywhat:

Wonder what odds the bookies were paying on that happening. :\

Kiwifan
03-25-07, 12:18 AM
Just winding you up mate, wouldn't be doin' my job if I didn't. :) Last month we actually had a directive from the Tourism Board to ALL KIWIS to lighten up on you mob. True. If we do get to beat ya at anything... we have to say the best team lost today. There was talk of painting some stadiums Green and Gold!! Turn it up, there's gotta be an easier way to get the money outta your wallets. :)

Take care fella and go and watch the V8s. They're on!

Rusty, (Goin' back to work to be 'nice' to our cousins.)

emjaya
03-25-07, 12:47 AM
Just winding you up mate, wouldn't be doin' my job if I didn't. :) Last month we actually had a directive from the Tourism Board to ALL KIWIS to lighten up on you mob. True. If we do get to beat ya at anything... we have to say the best team lost today. There was talk of painting some stadiums Green and Gold!! Turn it up, there's gotta be an easier way to get the money outta your wallets. :)

Take care fella and go and watch the V8s. They're on!

Rusty, (Goin' back to work to be 'nice' to our cousins.)

I'm not so sure their not rigged as well. ;)

Ankf00
03-26-07, 12:40 PM
JAMAICAN police last night produced a twist in the hunt for Bob Woolmer's killer by revealing members of Pakistan's cricket team were no longer suspects.

Jamaica's deputy commissioner of police Mark Shields said Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq and his squad were now being treated as witnesses - not suspects.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21453059-2,00.html

yea, it was Inzi... :rolleyes:

TrueBrit
03-26-07, 02:38 PM
Apparently the coppers have tape from the cctv in the hotel corridor that they are 'studying'....

Ankf00
03-26-07, 02:48 PM
read that today as well, read from the start that they had hotel CCTV footage, but didn't know that it was from the 12th floor specifically...

the cops seem pretty bush league, though. questions Inzi why he switched from the 12th floor to the 5th where the rest of the team had mvoed to, gee, I wonder... then they questioned an asst why he had a 17th floor room under a pesudonym, gee, the coach is murdered b/c of a sporting result by unknown persons, why would any other coaches want to hide? :rolleyes:

eiregosod
03-30-07, 06:38 PM
ah shoot! :(

emjaya
04-28-07, 06:53 PM
Inevitable. ;)

Hard to feel too overjoyed, but that might be the lack of sleep. :\

Ankf00
04-28-07, 07:05 PM
match-fixers and diuretic users prevail again.

emjaya
04-29-07, 07:59 AM
match-fixers and diuretic users prevail again.

No, India and Pakistan weren't in the final. They went home early to count their dirty money.

Or as in Pakistan's case, blood money.

Bob Woolmer's murder will make certain this win is not going to be celebrated too long or too loudly.

Ankf00
04-29-07, 12:22 PM
waugh and warney are asian? who knew? where can I sign up for that melanin removal procedure?

:gomer:

emjaya
04-29-07, 04:59 PM
waugh and warney are asian? who knew? where can I sign up for that melanin removal procedure?

:gomer:

With the amount of time Warne spends lying in the sun, maybe you could make a swap. :gomer:

Insomniac
06-12-07, 01:07 PM
They're saying he wasn't now:

Pakistan World Cup cricket coach Bob Woolmer died from natural causes and was not strangled as earlier claimed, Jamaica's police commissioner said Tuesday, rejecting reports that the coach had been drugged or poisoned.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2901652

Ankf00
06-12-07, 01:32 PM
close group fornication, as oddlycalm likes to say

Don Quixote
06-12-07, 02:36 PM
Jamaican police have always been beyond reproach. :laugh: