PDA

View Full Version : advice on pickup tires?

Don Quixote
03-15-07, 02:47 PM
Its time to put new shoes on my pickup, and I have a few questions about tires. The original equipment were Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A, 265/70/R17's. These tires were terrible in about every category that I can think of, except tire wear, which was very good. The reviews on tirerack.com confirm my opinions about these tires; handling, traction, ice, snow: all bad. I drive mostly on the road, but also take it offroad every month or so during camping season. I also put alot of highway miles on it for my job, and also 2 trips or so a year to visit my kids in Chicago, and a trip or two to Ohio where my mom lives. My question relates to the categories of Highway-All Season vs. On/Off Road All Terrain. That is, how much difference would I notice between the Goodriches I have on there or say Michelin LTX in the Highway category vs On/Off Road tires such as Bridgestone Dueler, or Pirelli Scorpion ATR's? I would hate to buy an All Terrain Tire and get my brains beat in on the long highway trips. Any help is appreciated. :)

racermike
03-15-07, 03:14 PM
Its time to put new shoes on my pickup, and I have a few questions about tires. The original equipment were Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A, 265/70/R17's. These tires were terrible in about every category that I can think of, except tire wear, which was very good. The reviews on tirerack.com confirm my opinions about these tires; handling, traction, ice, snow: all bad. I drive mostly on the road, but also take it offroad every month or so during camping season. I also put alot of highway miles on it for my job, and also 2 trips or so a year to visit my kids in Chicago, and a trip or two to Ohio where my mom lives. My question relates to the categories of Highway-All Season vs. On/Off Road All Terrain. That is, how much difference would I notice between the Goodriches I have on there or say Michelin LTX in the Highway category vs On/Off Road tires such as Bridgestone Dueler, or Pirelli Scorpion ATR's? I would hate to buy an All Terrain Tire and get my brains beat in on the long highway trips. Any help is appreciated. :)

Depends on how much you wanna go off-road I guess

I put the Firestone Indy 500's on my Ranger last year, and they are GREAT for highway use, and good tread for rain. I have driven on a lot of gravel roads with them to go hiking, and they handled very well considering they are not true "off road" tires.

devilmaster
03-15-07, 04:03 PM
I know most here know about my tyres....

I went from stock goodyear eagle LS's (pure sheite) on my dakota to Firestone Firehawks and the stones were great. I jsut couldn't (unlike RM) get over the fact that the Indy 500 logo was on them to buy them a second time. I went to Yoko Avids and perhaps not as good as the firestones, I do like them.

rabbit
03-15-07, 04:04 PM
advice on pickup tires?Bend your knees, keep your back straight, and lift with your legs. :gomer:

Don Quixote
03-15-07, 04:16 PM
walked right into that one.

Sean Malone
03-15-07, 05:22 PM
Depends on how much you wanna go off-road I guess

I put the Firestone Indy 500's on my Ranger last year, and they are GREAT for highway use, and good tread for rain. I have driven on a lot of gravel roads with them to go hiking, and they handled very well considering they are not true "off road" tires.

I put those same tires on my truck. Best tires I've ever had on it. I love them.

It kills me that they say Indy 500, but I counter that by telling myself at least it's not NASCAR.

B3RACER1a
03-15-07, 05:43 PM
www.tirerack.com

:thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
03-15-07, 06:46 PM
I put Michelin LTX 265 R16 on my truck about 25k miles ago. They still look new. Great in the rain, quiet on the highway. Tacoma Prerunner double cab.

Wally
03-16-07, 12:07 PM
Another vote for the LTX MS. I now have them on the Sierra HD and Mrs. Wally's Fourrunner. Very smooth and quiet and they did very well in the snow we had this winter.No cuppping or feathering after 23k miles.:thumbup:

RichK
03-16-07, 12:23 PM
I put Michelin LTX 265 R16 on my truck about 25k miles ago. They still look new. Great in the rain, quiet on the highway. Tacoma Prerunner double cab.

Yep. These Michelins are the best tires I've ever bought for a vehicle. We have a (heavy) Toyota Sequoia with them, and we've already put on ~30k miles with them. They look almost new, they move the rain away, they're quiet.

Don Quixote
03-16-07, 02:03 PM
Thanks everybody for the input. This weekend I think I might see how close the locals are to the tirerack.com prices.

manic mechanic
03-17-07, 05:28 PM
My choice about a year ago was Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos...Best tire I have ever owned.

Highway ride is good, excellent on soft or hard dirt roads, and I have even walked my truck out of axle deep mud (the PIR8TRK is an 03 Nissan Frontier king cab 2WD without a posi).

They weren't cheap ($116 each) but I'd buy them again in a heartbeat:thumbup:

As far as highway ride, Me and Angel M did the 800+ mile trek to Seca last weekend and didn't need kidney belts at any time.

I almost wish the sidewalls were a bit stiffer.

manic

Joelski
03-18-07, 12:54 AM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO

Audi_A4
03-18-07, 11:52 AM
buy round and black ones

cart7
03-18-07, 08:06 PM
Best tire I've ever run was the Dayton Timberline. Unfortunately you have to order those anymore since no one carries them.

Second would be any Bridgestone or Firestone.

Third, I've heard the Uniroyal Laredo's are really good.

Fourth - I've got some BF Goodrich AT tires on my truck now. They're OK.

Now the worst

Goodyear Wranglers :saywhat:

General Grabbers

Anything General avoid like the plague.

As for the more aggressive tread patterns? I'd avoid them. In my nearly 30 years of truck ownership I've rarely found that many circumstances that I need the more aggressive tread pattern. It does clean out faster in snow and loose stuff but the tradeoff is faster wear and noise. Unless you do a lot of off roading you're paying for excessive noise and only around 40-45k miles before you're having to replace them.

racermike
03-18-07, 09:22 PM
how about some colored tires?

http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=redtireth9.jpg

racermike
03-18-07, 09:48 PM
here is photo (this place says they can replicate any color you want)

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2901/redtireez1.jpg