PDA

View Full Version : Internet Radio on Death Row

oddlycalm
03-14-07, 07:53 PM
Internet Radio on Death Row (http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000196) An expat friend in Hong Kong drew my attention to this. In his words; "Internet Radio is my link to the free world. It is the only link that 90% of the planet has to Western culture."

Ironic that taxpayers are footing the bill for the over the air broadcasts by Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty yet Congress has acted to kill what is very likely a much more effective tool in connecting people around the world with our culture at the behest of a special interest group. Sends an interesting message, though not the one intended... :gomer:

oc

Andrew Longman
03-15-07, 08:47 AM
Another example of the music industry killing itself

KLang
03-15-07, 09:16 AM
How much in royalties does a regular broadcast radio station pay per song?

eiregosod
03-15-07, 03:54 PM
does the RIAA get a royalty for every song that is played? or is it just a royalty payment for every song that is played by an RIAA affilited arist?

Anyway, who gets paid paid what? the (p) performance rights are usually held by the record companies not the artists. Your favorite artist won't benefit from this deal. Compare with the situation where an internet station provides links to purchase CD's of the songs they play.

eiregosod
03-15-07, 04:24 PM
must be too expensive to dish out the payola to the web stations. :gomer:

JLMannin
03-15-07, 05:22 PM
If I play a tune in my mind, how much do I owe the RIAA, and where do I send it?

:D

Kiwifan
03-15-07, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the link. Man, this really sucks. :(

Once I finish work today I'll spend a bit more time on research and then put in my 2c worth. Grrrrrr. :flame:

Rusty.

eiregosod
03-15-07, 06:19 PM
If I play a tune in my mind, how much do I owe the RIAA, and where do I send it?

:D

make your check payable to the "Collander Research Fund".

oddlycalm
03-15-07, 07:21 PM
How much in royalties does a regular broadcast radio station pay per song? That's easy, zero, nuthin', nada. Fact is, they had to pass laws so the record companies couldn't pay to have their recordings played (payola).

oc

oddlycalm
03-15-07, 07:26 PM
does the RIAA get a royalty for every song that is played? or is it just a royalty payment for every song that is played by an RIAA affiliated artist?

Anyway, who gets paid paid what? It's a long article, but all the info is there. Bottom line is that the legal concept is idiotic, the formula for determining the royalties are based on a nonexistent model, and the cost to the station is out of all proportion. You choose which makes the least sense.

oc

nrc
03-15-07, 08:31 PM
That's easy, zero, nuthin', nada. Fact is, they had to pass laws so the record companies couldn't pay to have their recordings played (payola).

oc

Not true. BMI and ASCAP collect broadcast royalties for airplay.

Spicoli
03-15-07, 08:50 PM

Yep. My bro is a musician and gets checks. they are usually under $20, and only come every other month or so. :D

KLang
03-16-07, 06:51 AM

I thought there was something the radio stations payed. Why wouldn't the same rules apply to internet based radio? :confused: That would make much more sense.

nrc
03-16-07, 11:51 AM
I thought there was something the radio stations payed. Why wouldn't the same rules apply to internet based radio? :confused: That would make much more sense.

Mainly because BMI and ASCAP pay artists. Thanks to the DMCA the record companies are claiming that these are "perfect digital copies" so they should get a cut as well.

The royalties paid to BMI and ASCAP were largely based on revenue. The figure Internet radio is being asked to pay amounts to four or five times what broadcast radio pays per listener and has no connection to revenue.

The notion that most streaming radio represents a greater threat to record company revenue than FM radio is silly. It seems to me that there should be some bitrate equivalent below which everything is treated the same as radio.

oddlycalm
03-16-07, 03:08 PM
Not true. BMI and ASCAP collect broadcast royalties for airplay. Yes, I should have made the distinction that they pay a very small royalty to the artist, but nothing to the RIAA vanmires.

As for their perfect "digital copy," that's like saying the view through a screen door is perfect. :gomer:

oc

MAXAR RE
03-16-07, 03:50 PM
:( I listen to digitally imported via screamer every day at work. Without streaming trance music I'll go nuts. At least the article said that digitally imported was one of the outfits fighting against this. Stupid RIAA! :flame: