PDA

View Full Version : Standing starts delayed

Gangrel
03-13-07, 02:38 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/35952/

CCWS has decided that Vegas, LB, and Houston are not the kinds of places you want to be tinkering with a new standing start procedure, so delayed until at least round 4.

I would say, probably a good decision...

GOFAST1
03-13-07, 02:42 PM
Very smart move for now.I hope they come back to it when car is sorted out and everyone is on the same page.Standing starts are the best.[ my opinion]

Sean Malone
03-13-07, 02:48 PM
A big sigh of relief was just heard by Legge and Grommendy.

KLang
03-13-07, 03:02 PM
I suspect there will end up being a new Start button and associated software changes. No more announced testing dates to try it out on now. Read somewhere they were looking into an additional testing date in May once the China race gets offically moved.

RHR_Fan
03-13-07, 03:13 PM
Smart move by Champ Car. Part of me would not be surprised if there are no standing starts this year.

Insomniac
03-13-07, 03:15 PM
I'm glad to see this. Do it right. They can still test it at the races like they have in testing. I don't anticipate the entire grid testing together, but I can see them testing more than 2 cars at a time. Smart call. :thumbup:

shaggy_socal
03-13-07, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they followed the same pattern as the Atlantics and debut the standing starts at Cleveland.

Spicoli
03-13-07, 03:42 PM
I think this highlights the outstanding leadership, public relations and communication efforts by the entire ChampCar staff. Setting expectations and achieving those expectations is something they really do well.:shakehead

Andrew Longman
03-13-07, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they followed the same pattern as the Atlantics and debut the standing starts at Cleveland.

Not a bad bet, but the possibility of a T1 pile up is part of the Cleveland tradition and the locals/local press get into it. They should worry about messing up a tradition that is important to the local fans.

Remember the cones?

nrc
03-13-07, 03:46 PM
Not a bad bet, but the possibility of a T1 pile up is part of the Cleveland tradition and the locals/local press get into it. They should worry about messing up a tradition that is important to the local fans.

Remember the cones?

I don't believe standing starts will eliminate T1 pileups in Cleveland.

rabbit
03-13-07, 03:57 PM
I don't believe standing starts will eliminate T1 pileups in Cleveland.

Agree. I think the one thing standing starts will accomplish at a place such as Cleveland is that it will lower the entry speed and thereby hopefully reduce the amount of race-ending damage in an incident. And with the addition of onboard starters, if there is contact in T1, hopefully the race can continue without a full-course yellow. Contact in T1 is not the problem per se. It is the stoppage in action that results. If you can minimize the effect of the contact, then there is no problem.

dando
03-13-07, 05:29 PM
Remember the cones?

Oh, the coneage! :gomer: Clearly why they should have placed barrels out there....complete with clowns in them. ;)

-Kevin

racermike
03-13-07, 08:04 PM
I heard a rumor of Portland testing very soon after Houston

They usually came here after Long Beach anyways (cant now because of Houston), so wouldnt be surprised if that is so, and get the standing starts worked out, at the track they expect to use it first at.

pchall
03-13-07, 09:12 PM
I think this highlights the outstanding leadership, public relations and communication efforts by the entire ChampCar staff. Setting expectations and achieving those expectations is something they really do well.:shakehead

Why risk another Ricardo Paletti like incident?

Makes more sense to push standing start back to a time and race where the software is debugged and the S/F is long and wide.

Spicoli
03-13-07, 09:20 PM
Why risk another Ricardo Paletti like incident?

Makes more sense to push standing start back to a time and race where the software is debugged and the S/F is long and wide.

Hey! I didn;t even pick a side! :D

My point is they should have waited to say the first damn word about standing starts. Again, setting expectations, then backtracking. :shakehead

RIP Paletti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHFnoAVVjfk
^^^
(for those unaware):(

Insomniac
03-13-07, 10:06 PM
Hey! I didn;t even pick a side! :D

My point is they should have waited to say the first damn word about standing starts. Again, setting expectations, then backtracking. :shakehead

RIP Paletti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHFnoAVVjfk
^^^
(for those unaware):(

To me, even though they stated their intention tohave standing starts and are now saying they are not ready is okay. I at least felt they weren't ready for it and am glad they admitted to it instead of ending up with a cluster****.

TravelGal
03-14-07, 01:28 AM
Hey now. They said they would have standing starts in 2007. They're going to have them. OH, you wanted them at the BEGINNING of 2007? Different question. :laugh:

As pressdog would say, for the humor challenged, this is joke.

Anteater
03-14-07, 08:24 PM
Having watched the first standing start practice at Mazda Raceway, I applaud Champ Car's decision to postpone standing starts until the software problems are sorted out. :thumbup:

This will surprise you, but Paul Tracy had a few choice comments over the scanner during the practice!

TravelGal
03-15-07, 06:31 PM
wish I could have heard those! :eek: