PDA

View Full Version : Wii

Wabbit
03-09-07, 02:41 PM
Anyone here own a Wii? I got one last night and am enjoying it, even though I was a little sore this morning from throwing my arms all over the place playing tennis.

Ankf00
03-09-07, 03:40 PM
wii is f'ing awesome! yes, playing tennis will lay you up for a couple of days, but it's worth it. pain is temporary. glory is forever. :D

devilmaster
03-09-07, 04:04 PM
Wii misses out on the lazy bastard demographic...

Who wants to buy a video game that makes you get up and actually make the motions of playing the game?!? I buy video games so I can sit in my easy chair with a couple beers and some nacho chips and pretend to play sports. :D

Insomniac
03-09-07, 04:09 PM
I have one also. You definitely have to learn what the Wii is looking for is some of those Wii Sports games. I think I finally have them all figured out.

Insomniac
03-09-07, 04:10 PM

Who wants to buy a video game that makes you get up and actually make the motions of playing the game?!? I buy video games so I can sit in my easy chair with a couple beers and some nacho chips and pretend to play sports. :D

You can play the Wii (and Wii Sports) sitting down without a problem.

extramundane
03-09-07, 04:17 PM
Local hipster watering hole has one. Entertainment value is directly proportional to alcohol consumed. :)

WickerBill
03-09-07, 04:29 PM
Tiger Woods golf comes out tomorrow!!

Wabbit
03-09-07, 04:35 PM

That pretty much sums up why I bought it....more activity :D

It definately helps relieve stress, even more then a good round of Halo. Now I have 2 nephews that are begging to come over to my house so they can play.

Sean Malone
03-09-07, 05:31 PM
I've heard great things about the 'fun factor' of the Wii. The party games sound like fun for the kids and adults alike.

But, (and not to sound like a detractor), if you've never experienced Gears of War on the Xbox 360 on a HDTV with surround sound...you're missing out. Oh, and Xbox Live is phenomenal.

Wabbit
03-09-07, 05:44 PM
I've heard great things about the 'fun factor' of the Wii. The party games sound like fun for the kids and adults alike.

But, (and not to sound like a detractor), if you've never experienced Gears of War on the Xbox 360 on a HDTV with surround sound...you're missing out. Oh, and Xbox Live is phenomenal.

I have an X-Box, but have yet to see any reason to get a 360. There aren't any games that I feel are a must have, yet. I don't play console games very often, so dropping $400 (to start) on a console is a lot of money. The Wii has things that my 7yo daughter and wife want to do as well, so $250 is a lot easier to swallow.

Sean Malone
03-09-07, 06:02 PM
I have an X-Box, but have yet to see any reason to get a 360. There aren't any games that I feel are a must have, yet. I don't play console games very often, so dropping $400 (to start) on a console is a lot of money. The Wii has things that my 7yo daughter and wife want to do as well, so $250 is a lot easier to swallow.

Gears of War is a must have. As will Forza 2 and Halo 3 (maybe GTA4 if you're into that sort of thing. which is no longer a Sony exclusive.). All of which are not games for 7 year olds.

The Wii would have been my choice too if I were you.

Ankf00
03-09-07, 06:08 PM
Gears of War and Halo are great and all, but the costs are absurd. MS and Sony are so consumed with who has shiniest instead of what is most fun.

This is where a less expensive wii comes in. Have some friends over and want to kill some time? Perfect, and you still have hundreds of dollars of beer money left over :gomer:

Wabbit
03-09-07, 06:15 PM
Halo 1 was really good. I didn't like Halo 2 as much, though I haven't played it a lot. First person shooters aren't normally my game of choice. I also don't beleive that "he who has the best graphics, wins". I've seen a lot of pretty games that suck for play, and I've played a lot of graphically challanged games that I still enjoy.

I have Forza 1, but I don't remember if I've even broken the seal on that one yet. I mostly play my X-box when my nephews are over. I did get Cars for Christmas, and that game is great. I just don't have a lot of time to play since this is on our main TV. If I am able to get the family to want to play as well, I get more play time.

KLang
03-09-07, 06:15 PM
Have they fixed the problem yet where people were throwing the controllers through their TV screens? :D

Insomniac
03-09-07, 08:30 PM

You don't sound like a detractor, but that's really an apples to orange comparison. Yes, they're both game consoles, but Nintendo purposely kept it 480p. They felt fun was secondary to 720p/1080i/1080p gaming.

Insomniac
03-09-07, 08:31 PM
Halo 1 was really good. I didn't like Halo 2 as much, though I haven't played it a lot. First person shooters aren't normally my game of choice. I also don't beleive that "he who has the best graphics, wins". I've seen a lot of pretty games that suck for play, and I've played a lot of graphically challanged games that I still enjoy.

I have Forza 1, but I don't remember if I've even broken the seal on that one yet. I mostly play my X-box when my nephews are over. I did get Cars for Christmas, and that game is great. I just don't have a lot of time to play since this is on our main TV. If I am able to get the family to want to play as well, I get more play time.

The best games, IMO, are Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge.

Sean Malone
03-09-07, 09:56 PM
You don't sound like a detractor, but that's really an apples to orange comparison. Yes, they're both game consoles, but Nintendo purposely kept it 480p. They felt fun was secondary to 720p/1080i/1080p gaming.

Nintendo did a great job at doing their homework for the Wii. They knew what the compition was doing (heck, both the Wii and the 360 have ATI made graphics chips and their CPu's are both IBM designed PowerPC chips.) and hedged their bets on a lower priced system aimed at the party game crowd with a catch. The cath being Wii controller. Veiwed by many as a gimic, its proved to be a great selling point for the system. It remains to be seen if the 'buzz' continues as the powerhouse 360 and PS3 come on strong this year with A list games. The Wii, in my opinion will continue to be a strong player in the party game genre but will ultimalty start to slip as the 'gimic' aspect wears off. There are only a small amount of people who want to play a FPS with the Wii controller at 480p.

You're comment insinuates that the better games are on the Wii which is simply not true. And as HDTV's become more common place in today's homes, the Wii will quickly start showing its not up to battling the big boys.

Looking forward to Guitar Hero 2 next month!

Ankf00
03-09-07, 10:19 PM
graphics and fun are mutually exclusive. eye candy doesn't mean it's as enjoyable with all your friends. if you prefer 360, more power to you, but the whole HDTV blu ray HDDVD whatever business, I don't really care, and apparently most others dont either.

then there's the small matter of loads upon loads of 360's crapping out and requiring warranty repair

disclaimer: I own an xbox, not a wii

Sean Malone
03-09-07, 11:11 PM
graphics and fun are mutually exclusive. eye candy doesn't mean it's as enjoyable with all your friends. if you prefer 360, more power to you, but the whole HDTV blu ray HDDVD whatever business, I don't really care, and apparently most others dont either.

then there's the small matter of loads upon loads of 360's crapping out and requiring warranty repair

disclaimer: I own an xbox, not a wii

With all your freinds? That's cool. But I can play with 6 million 'friends' on Live (@ 1080p).

BluRay/HDDVD is for movies, not games.

Oh, and there is no such thing as "loads upon loads" of 360 failures. Actually there has been less than the original Xbox and the PS2. and M$ claims failures have been way below the consumer electronics industry average of 3-5%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

What are your favorite games on the Wii?

extramundane
03-09-07, 11:36 PM
Screw your Wiis and Xboxes. This is where it's at:

http://www.firebox.com/pic/p482b.jpg

Sincerely,
Stuck in 1982 :gomer:

Sean Malone
03-09-07, 11:42 PM

Sincerely,

Dude, this is a family oriented web site. Shame on you.:irked:

RHR_Fan
03-09-07, 11:48 PM
I have a playstation 1. You know, I like to keep it old school. :rofl: ;)

extramundane
03-09-07, 11:49 PM
Dude, this is a family oriented web site. Shame on you.:irked:

One man's trash... :D

Wabbit
03-10-07, 12:41 AM

Sincerely,

Got one of those too :D

ferrarigod
03-10-07, 12:52 AM
I hear Wii's helping little fat kids get thin again.

:laugh:

Insomniac
03-10-07, 10:51 AM
You're comment insinuates that the better games are on the Wii which is simply not true. And as HDTV's become more common place in today's homes, the Wii will quickly start showing its not up to battling the big boys.

My comment only implied what Nintendo's aim was. Fun games over graphics. They invested their time in the interface between the player and system to attract as many people as possible.

However, you imply that graphics is all that matters. That because the Wii doesn't have HD output, it won't be able to keep up with the "big boys". Bad news, Nintendo is killing Sony in sales. And they are also the only profitable gaming company.

Insomniac
03-10-07, 10:56 AM
With all your freinds? That's cool. But I can play with 6 million 'friends' on Live (@ 1080p).

And what games are in 1080p? Nintendo will also have online play.

Sean Malone
03-10-07, 11:19 AM
My comment only implied what Nintendo's aim was. Fun games over graphics. They invested their time in the interface between the player and system to attract as many people as possible.

However, you imply that graphics is all that matters. That because the Wii doesn't have HD output, it won't be able to keep up with the "big boys". Bad news, Nintendo is killing Sony in sales. And they are also the only profitable gaming company.

When did I ever say graphics was all that matters? I beleive I said that if I had a 7 year old, I'd get the Wii too.

Sony and M$ take a hit on the high end hardware to make it up on the software .

There are many, many, many 1080i 360 games and my 50" Sony SXRD displays at a native 1080p.

Wabbit
03-10-07, 11:42 AM
Nintendo is trying to encourage "fun" games vs. shooters on the Wii. They want to be more family oriented on the software front.

As for graphics, who cares? I still play Pac-Man and the Atari 2600 games, and enjoy them. I have several "classic" arcade games for the X-Box. They were fun 20 years ago, and they are still fun now. Can you say the same for Halo? Most people I know burn out on a game after 3 months and need to buy more.

Insomniac
03-10-07, 12:00 PM
When did I ever say graphics was all that matters? I beleive I said that if I had a 7 year old, I'd get the Wii too.

Sony and M$ take a hit on the high end hardware to make it up on the software .

There are many, many, many 1080i 360 games and my 50" Sony SXRD displays at a native 1080p.

And as HDTV's become more common place in today's homes, the Wii will quickly start showing its not up to battling the big boys.

Why do you bring up HDTV if you aren't talking about graphics? You said that's why Nintendo won't compete with the MS and Sony because of HDTV.

I understand MS and Sony's hardware sales plan, and I think MS might actually be making a little money now on their hardware, but there's a small problem for Sony: their console isn't selling so well. If the console doesn't sell well, the software won't either. And even with this business model, MS's game division is still not profitable. Sony is for now, but we'll see how it looks by year end.

Technically, many TVs display the Wii at 1080p too. :P

Sean Malone
03-10-07, 12:35 PM
Why do you bring up HDTV if you aren't talking about graphics? You said that's why Nintendo won't compete with the MS and Sony because of HDTV.

I understand MS and Sony's hardware sales plan, and I think MS might actually be making a little money now on their hardware, but there's a small problem for Sony: their console isn't selling so well. If the console doesn't sell well, the software won't either. And even with this business model, MS's game division is still not profitable. Sony is for now, but we'll see how it looks by year end.

Technically, many TVs display the Wii at 1080p too. :P

Weak, weak weak. Me mentioning HD graphics is claiming that game play isn't important? Thanks for putting words in mouth.
Go back and re-read what I wrote, it seems I'm back having to repeat crap to you. Fun, fun.

Time will only tell how the Wii will play out in terms of growth or lack there-of.
Again, it's my opinion that the release buzz will die over this year and when potential customers are looking for a system they will go with a PS3/360 over the Wii for two basic reason, the first being the game titles and second the graphic power that looks brilliant on their new HDTV (the fastest selling consumer product in the US). Not mentioning the graphics of the PS3 and the 360 is like not mentioning the Wii-mote. Of course game play matters, that’s why we play the games in the first play! If Mario Kart and Zelda are your thing, or playing tennis with the Wii-mote, more power to ya, but the Wii is no PS3/360 by any stretch of the imagination.

Let me know how the Wii online gaming works. If their past experiences are any indication...blah. Have you ever seen Xbox Live on the 360?

Oh, and a note to some other replies, the Xbox is not an Xbox 360. :gomer:

WickerBill
03-10-07, 01:06 PM
Ahh, the standard "difference of opinion drawn out to preposterous lengths"...

http://www.forumspile.com/Thread-Love_so_much.jpg

Sean Malone
03-10-07, 01:15 PM
Ahh, the standard "difference of opinion drawn out to preposterous lengths"...

http://www.forumspile.com/Thread-Love_so_much.jpg

We're pros!

devilmaster
03-10-07, 01:58 PM
I'm still too lazy. Just thought that needed to be said. :D ;)

Ankf00
03-10-07, 02:19 PM

BluRay/HDDVD is for movies, not games.

Oh, and there is no such thing as "loads upon loads" of 360 failures. Actually there has been less than the original Xbox and the PS2. and M$ claims failures have been way below the consumer electronics industry average of 3-5%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

What are your favorite games on the Wii?

read the xbox360 threads on hornfans, plenty of owners mentioning their repeated failures, what do you think MS is going to say? "yea, we have major problems with our initial system design?" want to buy this bridge in Brooklyn?

devilmaster
03-10-07, 02:24 PM
This debate is the same with most products - high end for philes vs low end for the masses.

I see parallels between this debate and the VCR/Beta argument.

Insomniac
03-10-07, 02:27 PM
Weak, weak weak. Me mentioning HD graphics is claiming that game play isn't important? Thanks for putting words in mouth.
Go back and re-read what I wrote, it seems I'm back having to repeat crap to you. Fun, fun.

Time will only tell how the Wii will play out in terms of growth or lack there-of.
Again, it's my opinion that the release buzz will die over this year and when potential customers are looking for a system they will go with a PS3/360 over the Wii for two basic reason, the first being the game titles and second the graphic power that looks brilliant on their new HDTV (the fastest selling consumer product in the US). Not mentioning the graphics of the PS3 and the 360 is like not mentioning the Wii-mote. Of course game play matters, that’s why we play the games in the first play! If Mario Kart and Zelda are your thing, or playing tennis with the Wii-mote, more power to ya, but the Wii is no PS3/360 by any stretch of the imagination.

Let me know how the Wii online gaming works. If their past experiences are any indication...blah. Have you ever seen Xbox Live on the 360?

Oh, and a note to some other replies, the Xbox is not an Xbox 360. :gomer:

Then please explain why the Wii won't be able to keep up with the "big boys"? I also did not say you claimed game-play is unimportant, I said "you imply that graphics is all that matters" so I certainly was not putting words in your mouth. I've read and quoted what you wrote to give context to why I said it seems that is what you imply. You did not say the games on the Xbox 360 or PS3 would be better, you only said "And as HDTV's become more common place in today's homes, the Wii will quickly start showing its not up to battling the big boys."

And I agree time will tell what system will do better than which. The Wii is much more than a couple Mario games and Wii Sports, just as the PS3 is more than GTA and Gran Turismo and the Xbox is more than Halo.

There past experiences? You mean the DS? Yeah, Nintendo has no idea what they're doing...

(And, no I have not see Xbox Live on the 360 in any capacity beyond actual gameplay if you are talking about the marketplace and what not.)

Insomniac
03-10-07, 02:30 PM
This debate is the same with most products - high end for philes vs low end for the masses.

I see parallels between this debate and the VCR/Beta argument.

I'm not 100% sure what the debate is about. I don't know who could argue the Wii has better graphics than either the 360 or PS3. It doesn't. How that affects game play is beyond my comprehension. :)

JLMannin
03-12-07, 11:00 PM
I'm not 100% sure what the debate is about. I don't know who could argue the Wii has better graphics than either the 360 or PS3. It doesn't. How that affects game play is beyond my comprehension. :)

Can the human eye see a difference between 480i and 1080i on a good HDTV set?

Insomniac
03-12-07, 11:22 PM

Absolutely. Doesn't even need to be a good display.

nrc
03-13-07, 02:33 AM
Console games are for sissies.:p

rocket
03-13-07, 05:23 AM
Yeah, get out and play some frolf :D

Opposite Lock
08-02-07, 03:00 PM

Huzzah!

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/activision_reports_sluggish_sales

:gomer:

JoeBob
08-04-07, 12:36 AM
It remains to be seen if the 'buzz' continues as the powerhouse 360 and PS3 come on strong this year with A list games. The Wii, in my opinion will continue to be a strong player in the party game genre but will ultimalty start to slip as the 'gimic' aspect wears off. There are only a small amount of people who want to play a FPS with the Wii controller at 480p.

So... it turns out, there's a hell of a lot of people who want to pick up a controller for 20 minutes and have fun - and a small number of people who want to play FPS, ever.

The Target near me had Wiis in stock when I was there about a month ago, so I picked one up. The thing is awesome. I haven't seen 'em in stock anywhere since.

Insomniac
08-04-07, 10:00 AM
So... it turns out, there's a hell of a lot of people who want to pick up a controller for 20 minutes and have fun - and a small number of people who want to play FPS, ever.

The Target near me had Wiis in stock when I was there about a month ago, so I picked one up. The thing is awesome. I haven't seen 'em in stock anywhere since.

I think it's too early to know that. PS3 sales are tracking well with PS2 sales. The Wii has just done exceptionally well by console standards. It took the PS2 1.5 years to sell 10M consoles worldwide, 2.5 to sell 20M. MS should be most worried. While they are also tracking with the PS2 world wide, there is very little appeal in Japan, whereas the PS3 and Wii sell pretty evenly worldwide.

Sean Malone
08-04-07, 11:55 AM
I think it's too early to know that. PS3 sales are tracking well with PS2 sales. The Wii has just done exceptionally well by console standards. It took the PS2 1.5 years to sell 10M consoles worldwide, 2.5 to sell 20M. MS should be most worried. While they are also tracking with the PS2 world wide, there is very little appeal in Japan, whereas the PS3 and Wii sell pretty evenly worldwide.

I think Sony is the one who is worried. Price cuts already? ;)

360 = Q2 2007 11.6 million units

PS3 = 4.48 million as of June 30, 2007

Wii = 9.27 million

Insomniac
08-04-07, 12:09 PM
I think Sony is the one who is worried. Price cuts already? ;)

360 = Q2 2007 11.6 million units

PS3 = 4.48 million as of June 30, 2007

Wii = 9.27 million

I can't disagree with that. Even though they are tracking the same as the PS2 and 360, I guess they want to sell even more. The game library isn't there yet.

The last numbers I saw were different.

Xbox 360 = 10.27M (6.61M US, 420k Japan, 3.24M Others)
Nintendo Wii = 9.88M (3.97M US, 3.26M Japan, 2.65M Others)
Sony PS3 = 4.10M (1.74M US, 1.07M Japan, 1.20M Others)

These are supposed to be sales numbers instead of shipped.

Stu
08-04-07, 12:13 PM

try it on your PC.

set your resolution to 640x480 (if it even goes that low) and then crank it up to the highest resolution your monitor is. tell me if you see a difference ;)

Ankf00
08-04-07, 12:47 PM
don't forget nintendo makes a profit per console sold, where MS and Sony lose 100+ per, plus their marketing costs.

Nintendo as a company is probably very happy with their position in the market

Insomniac
08-04-07, 01:32 PM
don't forget nintendo makes a profit per console sold, where MS and Sony lose 100+ per, plus their marketing costs.

Nintendo as a company is probably very happy with their position in the market

No doubt about that. They became the 5th largest company in Japan last week. Bigger than Honda and I think they passed up Sony some time recently too. Wii, DS and GameBoy, they're rolling in money.

I thought the 360 hardware was making a profit now for some reason though.

Ankf00
08-04-07, 01:36 PM
you would think so, and you would be correct

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2006/11/16/ps3-loses-up-to-306-per-unit-xbox-360-profits-76-per-sale.htm

http://www.techspot.com/news/23612-microsoft-makes-tiny-profit-on-xbox-360-hardware.html

With a reduction in manufacturing costs by nearly 40% since the console's release and perhaps streamlining of the process and bulkier orders, a $399 pricetag now nets Microsoft $75.70 – before the unit has been shipped however.

Sony is taking a considerable loss on each PlayStation 3 sold. Materials and manufacturing costs for the 20Gbyte model exceed the suggested retail price of $499 by a total of $306.85, iSuppli’s Teardown Analysis service estimates. For the 60Gbyte version, costs exceed the $599 price by $241.35.

In contrast, the HDD-equipped Xbox 360 has a manufacturing and materials total of $323.30, based on an updated estimate using costs in the fourth quarter of 2006. This total is $75.70 less than the $399 suggested retail price of the Xbox 360.

Insomniac
08-04-07, 01:39 PM
you would think so, and you would be correct

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2006/11/16/ps3-loses-up-to-306-per-unit-xbox-360-profits-76-per-sale.htm

http://www.techspot.com/news/23612-microsoft-makes-tiny-profit-on-xbox-360-hardware.html

Although extending the warranty retroactively to 3 years probably negates all that. :)

Insomniac
08-23-07, 12:23 PM
According to Video Game Chartz, the Wii just passed the Xbox 360.

http://www.vgchartz.com/images/ng_sales.png (http://www.vgchartz.com)

Sean Malone
08-24-07, 01:28 PM
According to Video Game Chartz, the Wii just passed the Xbox 360.

http://www.vgchartz.com/images/ng_sales.png (http://www.vgchartz.com)

I haven't been able to find other sources but if true that really is an amazing feat and a wonderful business success story against two giants. Nintendo chose exaclty the right course in creating and marketing and pricing the Wii. I tip my hat to them.

I did pick up Bioshock for the 360 last night. Great so far.

Insomniac
08-24-07, 01:58 PM
I haven't been able to find other sources but if true that really is an amazing feat and a wonderful business success story against two giants. Nintendo chose exaclty the right course in creating and marketing and pricing the Wii. I tip my hat to them.

I did pick up Bioshock for the 360 last night. Great so far.

I believe their methodology is different. The usual numbers reported are units shipped. They get a sampling to estimate number of units sold. Assuming the rate is pretty close, it may be another month or two before Wii's shipped numbers surpass Microsoft's and you have the big press releases and fanfare about it.

chop456
09-24-07, 03:27 AM
Got a Wii for the kids this week. They won't get it until Christmas, but I want to open it now. :tony: Got Wii Play, Mario Party 8 and Super Paper Mario. In a year or so, if the price of the 360 and PS3 come down to where I can justify it for just a couple of racing and shooting games, maybe I'll get one for myself.

I will, however, guarantee you that I'm buying this for myself when it comes out in November. :D
GXT7elW8ImA

If you have the patience, it shows 5 or 6 minigames from Raving Rabbids 2.

WickerBill
09-24-07, 05:58 AM
My son got a Wii for his birthday a couple weeks ago. I love it -- but I can see a place for a 360 by its side...

Sean Malone
09-24-07, 09:24 AM
My son got a Wii for his birthday a couple weeks ago. I love it -- but I can see a place for a 360 by its side...

True. My 17 year old asked me the other day if I was interested in buying a Wii. When I asked why (because she is a huge Gear of War nut) she said she played some party game at friends and it was a blast.

I told her I'd think about it after we've burned out Halo 3...

...Which comes out tomorrow.

:)

Insomniac
09-24-07, 11:18 AM
I will, however, guarantee you that I'm buying this for myself when it comes out in November. :D

If you have the patience, it shows 5 or 6 minigames from Raving Rabbids 2.

Reminds me of the Mutant League games on the Sega Genesis.

G.
12-01-07, 04:37 PM
On Santa's list. I floated the idea to the wife unit last week. Last night she was at the neighbors and played it. I think I'll be getting it for the, er, kids.

Are there options on it (hard drive space, I/O's, etc., like the PS3)?
What do I need for controllers? What are the "required" games? Kids 4-9 and early 40's.:D

Stu
12-01-07, 06:11 PM
too late G.

most news reports have said if you didnt get one on black friday, you are either SOL for christmas or will have to pay a premium on ebay.

Insomniac
12-01-07, 07:06 PM
On Santa's list. I floated the idea to the wife unit last week. Last night she was at the neighbors and played it. I think I'll be getting it for the, er, kids.

Are there options on it (hard drive space, I/O's, etc., like the PS3)?
What do I need for controllers? What are the "required" games? Kids 4-9 and early 40's.:D

There is only one model. It come with only one Wii Remote and Nunchuk. You will want to buy another pair of those (they are sold separately, $60 total). You could also buy Wii Play and the Nunchuk. Wii Play comes with a Wii Remote and a disc with 9 simple games for $50. So the total would be $70. Not sure on games, but I'm sure the kids would be entertained by those 2 games for quite a while. Other popular games are Wario Ware and Mario Party. Super Mario Galaxy may be a little complex for younger kids, but it's probably the best game right now. Also, there are 2 Resident Evil games (Rated M).

Insomniac
12-01-07, 07:10 PM
too late G.

most news reports have said if you didnt get one on black friday, you are either SOL for christmas or will have to pay a premium on ebay.

That seems odd. Nintendo is still producing them in as much quantity as they can (1.8M/mo worldwide). Unless the stores are holding stock purposely, there should be a steady stream coming to the U.S. But there is still more demand than supply, so you'll have to be pretty vigilant to get your hands on one.

Wabbit
12-01-07, 08:02 PM
Although they are still hard to come by, many places do have the Wii.

Internet rumors have Best Buy, Toys R Us and Target holding stock until the Sunday ads are released. So, if you want one, go to these stores when they open on Sunday.

You can also call all the retailers around you. They may have one in stock, but usually won't hold them.

jcollins28
12-01-07, 08:18 PM
I have a playstation 1. You know, I like to keep it old school. :rofl: ;)

ha is this "old school" enough for you?

http://www.e-oss.net/albums/album09/pong.sized.png

G.
12-01-07, 09:53 PM
That seems odd. Nintendo is still producing them in as much quantity as they can (1.8M/mo worldwide). Unless the stores are holding stock purposely, there should be a steady stream coming to the U.S. But there is still more demand than supply, so you'll have to be pretty vigilant to get your hands on one.Unexpected, to say the least.

The damn thing is almost obsolete (a year old;) ) and you can't get them??

Guess I'll see what I can find in the AM.

Thanks, all.

dando
12-01-07, 10:00 PM
Unexpected, to say the least.

The damn thing is almost obsolete (a year old;) ) and you can't get them??

Guess I'll see what I can find in the AM.

Thanks, all.

Try a Wii watch:

http://techbargains.com/buywii.htm

Good luck!

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-02-07, 12:28 AM
Also as someone said, some stores do hold them until Sunday. Consider driving past stores like Target, CC, BB, TRU, etc. and see if there is a line forming out front before they open. Some people get the scoop the night before.

Sean Malone
12-02-07, 12:33 AM
Um, the EB Games three miles from my house has 4 of them. Just got Rock Band for the 360 for the kid tonight.

G.
12-02-07, 12:36 AM
The EB/Gamestop might work out. Dude I called said they get a few every week, on M or T. But I'll call, run around tomorrow.

Stu
12-02-07, 12:50 AM
Um, the EB Games three miles from my house has 4 of them. Just got Rock Band for the 360 for the kid tonight.

go buy them all then. they are still going for a hundred or more over msrp on ebay.

Sean Malone
12-02-07, 01:11 AM
go buy them all then. they are still going for a hundred or more over msrp on ebay.

could be, but it's just Christmas hype. Anyone who pays double for Wii is an idiot.

Sean O'Gorman
12-02-07, 01:22 PM
could be, but it's just Christmas hype. Anyone who pays double for Wii is an idiot.

What part of Stu's suggestion to profit off of morons did you not get?

Sean Malone
12-02-07, 05:56 PM
What part of Stu's suggestion to profit off of morons did you not get?

What gave you the idea I didn't "get" his suggestion? Although i haven't checked , (because I really don't care) I doubt many Wii's are seeling for $100+ over MSRP and like I said, if there are the people are idiots. Pretty simple.

Wii = tickle me Elmo of 2008. :)

Thanks for tryin' to help. :thumbup:

G.
12-02-07, 06:45 PM
Wii = tickle me Elmo of 2008. :)

Thanks for tryin' to help. :thumbup:
But Elmo was a sleeper: it was out for a while before soccer mom's decided that they MUST have one. No matter how much they humped, the Muppets couldn't meet demand. The Wii demand has always been there. And Nintendo doesn't get any benefit from BS increased demand - the price fix is in place already, $250.00 no matter where you get it. They don't get an extra $100 if you buy it on ebay.

(lines started at 2:00 AM at a nearby BestBuy. I don't want one that bad. I can't think of a whole lot of things that I want that bad. Maybe a kidney. Or a liver. Something like that.)

Sean Malone
12-02-07, 07:14 PM
But Elmo was a sleeper: it was out for a while before soccer mom's decided that they MUST have one. No matter how much they humped, the Muppets couldn't meet demand. The Wii demand has always been there. And Nintendo doesn't get any benefit from BS increased demand - the price fix is in place already, $250.00 no matter where you get it. They don't get an extra $100 if you buy it on ebay.

(lines started at 2:00 AM at a nearby BestBuy. I don't want one that bad. I can't think of a whole lot of things that I want that bad. Maybe a kidney. Or a liver. Something like that.)

All hail the mighty Wii.

Why are soccer moms standing in line for Wii's again? I keep forgetting there must be something to that system that is appealing. Price?

extramundane
12-02-07, 07:24 PM

Liar. :D

Sean Malone
12-02-07, 07:34 PM
Liar. :D

Busted!:D

G.
12-02-07, 10:40 PM
All hail the mighty Wii.

Why are soccer moms standing in line for Wii's again? I keep forgetting there must be something to that system that is appealing. Price?The remote has a strap on?

:gomer:

cameraman
12-02-07, 11:49 PM
Although i haven't checked , (because I really don't care) I doubt many Wii's are seeling for $100+ over MSRP

Actually he is right, they are selling right around $390. An auction is ending about every other minute.

Sean Malone
12-03-07, 12:35 AM
Actually he is right, they are selling right around $390. An auction is ending about every other minute.

Weird.:confused:

Stu
12-03-07, 07:09 AM
Weird.:confused:

not weird, just in demand.

Sean Malone
12-03-07, 09:27 AM
not weird, just in demand.

the question was why.

Thanks!

tllips
12-03-07, 10:50 AM
I was in Best Buy in Darien, IL around 10:30am yesterday. While I was checking out, I saw a couple bringing a Wii console up to the cash register, so they had some yesterday.

My Sister-in-law called a Circuit City last Friday and they said that they get anywhere from 5-20 in the stock replenishment truck each week. If you can find out what day a store's replenishment comes in, you can try to go that day. The person said that if they get 5, they are usually gone within the hour. If they get 20, you usually can get one if you get there the same day.

Stu
12-03-07, 10:56 AM
the question was why.

Thanks!

i can't tell if you are being serious.

eiregosod
12-03-07, 11:21 AM
The PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan. :p :p

Insomniac
12-03-07, 01:37 PM
The PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan. :p :p

They only need to sell 2.4M more to catch up. ;)

Insomniac
12-28-07, 04:28 PM
Amazon.com Inc. said Wednesday its 2007 holiday season was its strongest to date, with Nintendo Wii game systems and the "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" DVD among its top-selling products.

The online retailer said it sold about 17 Nintendo Wiis per second when the product was available.

G.
03-26-08, 09:22 PM
finally got one. None of that standing in line crap, so it took a while.

So, what are the good games? We grabbed the WiiPlay, extra controller and nothing else.

Insomniac
03-26-08, 10:33 PM
finally got one. None of that standing in line crap, so it took a while.

So, what are the good games? We grabbed the WiiPlay, extra controller and nothing else.

Top 10 from Game Rankings:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
4. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
5. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
6. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
7. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
8. Super Paper Mario
9. No More Heroes
10. WarioWare: Smooth Moves

chop456
03-27-08, 01:59 AM
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2

G.
04-12-08, 08:46 PM
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2

Yep. Thanks, chop! Good one!

We have Super Galaxy, RRR2, the MX/ATV racing game and one or two others.

RRR2 gets squeals of laughter, which is sort of uncomfortable, TBH.

I mean, he's almost 10 ferchrissakes. Me and the other g.'s love it as well.

TRDfan
04-13-08, 08:05 AM
We finally got one a few weeks ago. Picked up WiiGames too.

Kids like it, wife likes it, I enjoy it when I was able to play it.

Need to get a new tv and move to the basement for more room to move.