PDA

View Full Version : Well, it got hockey back on Sportscenter....

devilmaster
03-09-07, 12:26 AM
WTF were you thinking Simon.... :shakehead

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ht6RyAI9370

Don Quixote
03-09-07, 09:02 AM
:shakehead
He should be gone.
I'm now waiting for all the people who defended Bertuzzi to come forward and tell us why Simon was justified.

chop456
03-09-07, 09:05 AM
Just another reason olympic hockey is better than the NHL.

TKGAngel
03-09-07, 09:25 AM
The league's come under fire lately for late/dirty hits going unpunished. Simon will sit for this one.

Has anyone else noticed that there's been a rash of these types of flagrant hits going on? First there was Neil/Drury, then Janssen/Kaberle, now this fiasco.

devilmaster
03-09-07, 12:24 PM
Has anyone else noticed that there's been a rash of these types of flagrant hits going on? First there was Neil/Drury, then Janssen/Kaberle, now this fiasco.

I forget who it was, but one of the league's goons came out and said that if he was playing a team that didn't have a goon, he felt it was his job to run their best players and hit them hard and get them off their game.

spinner26
03-09-07, 12:29 PM
Didn't realize they still played.:rolleyes:

These guys shot themselves just like baseball did and forever are gone in my book. Give me some club / minor league games and I'm thrilled, not that I was ever a wealth of knowledge but couldn't tell you who plays where now and don't care. FNHL!:thumdown:

TKGAngel
03-09-07, 02:29 PM
Simon suspended indefinitely (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/hockey/nhl/03/09/bc.hkn.islanders.simon.s.ap/index.html)

These guys shot themselves just like baseball did and forever are gone in my book. Give me some club / minor league games and I'm thrilled, not that I was ever a wealth of knowledge but couldn't tell you who plays where now and don't care. FNHL!

Hockey's on its way to climbing out of the hole it dug itself into. The biggest obstacle it has right now is its TV deal with Versus. The NHL also doesn't have half of the off-ice PR problems faced by other leagues. Its remained relatively free from the ongoing steroid scandal, you don't hear about players getting arrested, and any fights remain on the ice.

spinner26
03-09-07, 03:44 PM
Simon suspended indefinitely (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/hockey/nhl/03/09/bc.hkn.islanders.simon.s.ap/index.html)

The NHL also doesn't have half of the off-ice PR problems faced by other leagues. Its remained relatively free from the ongoing steroid scandal, you don't hear about players getting arrested, and any fights remain on the ice.

Heck no it doesn't, if you were bungholed as a kid growing up in junior's and told how when and where to do things you'd be scared to get into trouble too. i am sure it is not quite as wide spread as it used to be, at least I hope not, but these aren't your normal average every day athletes.

IMPO, top level hockey players are some of if not THE best ATHLETES in the world.

devilmaster
03-10-07, 02:42 PM
Rest of the regular season, plus 7 playoff games if they make it that far.

max 22 games.

dando
03-10-07, 03:04 PM
Two nasty hits in a week = SC highlight material.

Bring on Tags and PT, part II. :gomer:

:shakehead

Simon wasn't thinking, he was reacting. He's a dickhead, and should sit for 1/2 a season @ least (~40 games). Even an NYR doesn't deserve that shizzle. ;)

-Kevin

devilmaster
03-10-07, 04:51 PM
I was hopin for rest of the season with playoffs, and 20 games into the next season.

devilmaster
03-10-07, 04:58 PM
NEW YORK (CP/TSN.ca) - NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell met with New York Islanders forward Chris Simon and team representatives Saturday morning, but made no immediate decision on a suspension.

Earlier today, TSN.ca posted a story stating that Simon had been suspended for 15 regular season games and seven playoff games, an inaccurate report that should have been attributed to Madison Square Garden Network. TSN regrets any inconvenience this may have caused.

The league suspended Simon indefinitely after he drilled New York Rangers forward Ryan Hollweg with a two-handed stick swing to the face in a game on Thursday night.

Hollweg took a few stitches in the chin but was not seriously hurt.

Simon, a veteran of 14 NHL seasons, has 27 points (10-17) and 75 penalty minutes in 67 games this year.

It was not clear when the league would announce its final decision on the length of his suspension.

Thanks for makin me be a liar TSN. :flame: :D

RTKar
03-10-07, 05:58 PM
Just another reason olympic hockey is better than the NHL.

Where have I heard that before?

Agreed by the way. Although I do like the "new NHL", at least they're attempting to rectify the problems with the game. We'll see how this incident plays out in the offices in Toronto.

coolhand
03-10-07, 10:26 PM
I forget who it was, but one of the league's goons came out and said that if he was playing a team that didn't have a goon, he felt it was his job to run their best players and hit them hard and get them off their game.

Well isn't that the role of the "enforcer"?

coolhand
03-10-07, 10:28 PM
Heck no it doesn't, if you were bungholed as a kid growing up in junior's and told how when and where to do things you'd be scared to get into trouble too. i am sure it is not quite as wide spread as it used to be, at least I hope not, but these aren't your normal average every day athletes.

Can you elaborate?

devilmaster
03-10-07, 11:29 PM
Well isn't that the role of the "enforcer"?

you missed the point, and from that I take it you haven't been following the NHL lately.

coolhand
03-11-07, 06:03 AM
you missed the point, and from that I take it you haven't been following the NHL lately.

I went to one game this year, otherwise have not followed it. It is a little less physical then years past.

Has the "enforcer" role disappeared?

TKGAngel
03-11-07, 10:40 AM
I went to one game this year, otherwise have not followed it. It is a little less physical then years past.

Has the "enforcer" role disappeared?

Its become less noticeable than in the past. In the "new" NHL, teams really can't afford to have one meathead whose sole purpose is to run the other guys.

dando
03-11-07, 11:33 AM
Season done, minimum 25 games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2794638

-Kevin

devilmaster
03-11-07, 03:08 PM
Its become less noticeable than in the past. In the "new" NHL, teams really can't afford to have one meathead whose sole purpose is to run the other guys.

exactly. The enforcer was mostly gone in the new NHL, and alot of teams don't have them, except for those who can contribute to a regular shift. That was my point - teams have forgone the goon but I suspect will all bring them back now because they need that muscle, that checks and balances to keep other team's goons honest.

Tifosi24
03-11-07, 10:28 PM
Can you elaborate?

Google hockey hazing and you will know what he is talking about. Much of what use to happen is certainly not acceptable for a family forum.

RTKar
03-11-07, 10:57 PM
Google hockey hazing and you will know what he is talking about. Much of what use to happen is certainly not acceptable for a family forum.

There's a book out about an abused junior player...unfortunately his coach is still free and coaching from what I understand. :shakehead

devilmaster
03-11-07, 11:08 PM
I would think we can talk about these things.

Sheldon Kennedy was sexually abused by his junior coach Graham James.

After James served his sentence, Sheldon said that he moved to the UK and is now coaching hockey with kids again. :flame:

coolhand
03-11-07, 11:28 PM
Really? I have not heard of this. Junior Hockey had coaches abusing kids more so then other sports?

JoeBob
03-13-07, 02:49 PM
If you want a (mostly) interesting read on the role of the enforcer, read this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1572437561/

There's a chapter about the new rules, and the impact on fighting, but I haven't gotten to that part. (The book started to get repetitive, so I've not been excited about finishing it - but I did learn quite a bit from the first half)

Read some interesting stats about tonights Minnesota/Vancouver game. The Wild's record against Vancouver as 4-1-2. Vancouver's record against The Wild is 3-3-1. :saywhat:

Dr. Corkski
03-13-07, 03:18 PM
The new NHL is a complete joke and has done more to damage the sport of hockey than the IRL has done to American open wheel racing.

Don Quixote
03-13-07, 05:46 PM
And that's saying something.