PDA

View Full Version : new American F3 series?

eiregosod
03-09-07, 12:20 AM
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=30684

extramundane
03-09-07, 12:31 AM
Because, y'know, we need another open wheel feeder series. Especially one run by NASA.

But I bet they get an engine badge deal.

STD
03-09-07, 01:28 AM
"Interest has always remained very high."

I did not know that!
What happened to their first version that started up in 2000?
Guess I missed it. :\

Tim
03-09-07, 03:55 AM
I remember they had very few actual F3 cars in there races.

pchall
03-09-07, 08:55 AM
The VW F3 series in 2000 "ran with success"? What a load. As I remember it they couldn't get a field of 10 cars for the few races they ran.

Easy
03-09-07, 11:44 AM
They couldn't get a field of 5 most of the time. The best shot "F3" had here died with the Zetec series.

NismoZ
03-09-07, 02:56 PM
Thus the speculation on a "new" series. The Cooper Zetec series participants were divided, as I recall, on "what to do" concerning specs. Keep lower power? Go to full F-3 specs? Please CC? Screw CC? Peter O. should know. I was concerned The League might back the full spec move to add a legit feeder series to their weak resume. Something to counter the success of Atlantics?

Peter Olivola
03-09-07, 07:17 PM
The demise of the Cooper Series was complicated. Too complicated to try to convey in a forum. It requires a face to face encounter plus a steady supply of adult beverages, consumed in unison, to properly explain and understand.

What was being proposed was adoption of the Dallara F3 chassis with a spec motor. Which motor had never been decided but proposals included the Zetec and various others. The series would not have been called F3, however.

Thus the speculation on a "new" series. The Cooper Zetec series participants were divided, as I recall, on "what to do" concerning specs. Keep lower power? Go to full F-3 specs? Please CC? Screw CC? Peter O. should know. I was concerned The League might back the full spec move to add a legit feeder series to their weak resume. Something to counter the success of Atlantics?

Rus'L
03-12-07, 12:41 PM
I remember they had very few actual F3 cars in there races.

It got so bad, they ended up running during EMRA weekends. I remember one "race" where they showed up at Watkins Glen. They were put with the other open wheel classes. The entire F3 field was made up of ONE team running three cars. I kid you not. They had this huge rig set up while everyone else in the paddock had their usual amateur club racing set up working out of open trailers. Boy, did they stick out like a sore thumb. Kind of like a Ferrari parked in a trailer park.