PDA

View Full Version : Crying in baseball

rabbit
03-08-07, 04:00 PM
I just got back from a five-day trip to visit family in Arizona, where I got to take in a couple Cactus League games, I am now completely stoked about the pending Major League Baseball season. That enthusiasm has been tempered however, by a disturbing discovery.

Here in Toledo, on my cable system, there are three channels that broadcast games for three different teams – Sports Time Ohio with the Indians, Fox Sports Detroit and the Tigers, and WGN with the Cubs. As a lifelong diehard Cincinnati Reds fan, this was unacceptable.

I decided to check out the MLB.TV subscription offer, which for $89.95 a year would allow me to watch any MLB game I wanted to live. There in the small print of course, were the words “Blackout Restrictions Apply.”

Much to my surprise, my zip code was listed as being in the Reds “home coverage” area. So, I can't watch it on TV and I can't watch it on the Internet. I can't afford, nor do I have the time to, drive to Cincinnati every day to watch the games in person. The subscription would let me watch archived games. But who wants to do that?

I am completely unable to watch the team that I have cheered for since I was old enough to hold a baseball in my hand. Thanks Major League Baseball. No wonder the sport is having a hard time keeping fans. :irked:

dando
03-08-07, 04:07 PM
:saywhat: That's insane! I can understand Cbus being considered a Reds area, as we get the Tribe on STO and the Reds on FSN. Before STO, we would get the Tribe on FSN and the Reds on the FSN alternate. One would think that if the local cable co doesn't broadcast an alternate FSN channel for the Reds, then you shouldn't qualify for the blackout. :confused: Have you called to inquire about this lunacy? :irked:

Maybe you can have Steve subscribe for ya and send him a check for the sub....his zip should be in a non-Reds coverage area. :)

EDIT: Is this based on your HOME addy or where you are currently residing? Did you get the Reds back home (Findlay?).

-Kevin

Warlock!
03-08-07, 04:16 PM
The Reds are a "niche" team... get used to it.

rabbit
03-08-07, 04:20 PM

:rofl:

rabbit
03-08-07, 04:22 PM
:saywhat: That's insane! I can understand Cbus being considered a Reds area, as we get the Tribe on STO and the Reds on FSN. Before STO, we would get the Tribe on FSN and the Reds on the FSN alternate. One would think that if the local cable co doesn't broadcast an alternate FSN channel for the Reds, then you shouldn't qualify for the blackout. :confused: Have you called to inquire about this lunacy? :irked:

Maybe you can have Steve subscribe for ya and send him a check for the sub....his zip should be in a non-Reds coverage area. :)

EDIT: Is this based on your HOME addy or where you are currently residing? Did you get the Reds back home (Findlay?).

-KevinI sent an email to the PTB to complain. When I lived in Lima (Time Warner Cable) I could get the Reds on FSN. But the only FSN on Buckeye Cable in Toledo is Detroit. Lima is also blacked out, so that rules out using that as my address of record.

Racing Truth
03-08-07, 04:27 PM

:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, you old farts need to move on already.:gomer:

dando
03-08-07, 04:36 PM
I sent an email to the PTB to complain. When I lived in Lima (Time Warner Cable) I could get the Reds on FSN. But the only FSN on Buckeye Cable in Toledo is Detroit. Lima is also blacked out, so that rules out using that as my address of record.

Then how do they expect you to watch Reds' games? Get a BIG honkin' antenna?!? :saywhat: Someone obviously has their wires xossed.

-Kevin

Gnam
03-08-07, 04:38 PM
Here in Toledo, on my cable system...
Have you looked into a dish? They might give you Cincinnati's local channels.

rabbit
03-08-07, 04:40 PM
Have you looked into a dish? They might give you Cincinnati's local channels.

I live in an apartment complex so a dish, sadly, is not an option.

Al Czervik
03-08-07, 04:41 PM
For what its worth, you may want to look into Directv. Here in South Bend, IN, my "regional sports network" is Comcast Sports Chicago. Add the Sports Pack, and I can pick up Tigers and Reds games from FSN-D and FSN-?? respectively. This is NOT part of the Extra Innings package.

Something to consider.

Oops, just saw the apt. comment. Sorry

cameraman
03-08-07, 04:57 PM
The blackout rules are just insane. Everyone lives in one. Hell I am in the Rockies blackout zone even though it is a 540 mile drive to the stadium.

Even better DishNetwork has exactly zero information on MLB packages for 2007 on their site. I called them and their answer was that Dish and MLB have no agreement for 2007. Don't know why but it sounds like MLB wants the money and they want me to watch it on my computer.

My computer is nowhere near my TV and i am not really in the mood to buy an iTV to connect the two. MLB can go pound sand.:flame:

I just found out what happened. MLB signed an agreement with DirecTV. MLB extra innings is now only available on DirecTV - it will not be on any cable system nor will it be on Dish Network.

**** MLB.

RHR_Fan
03-08-07, 05:03 PM
Yikes! That totally sucks man. Here in Madison we sometimes will get a blackout of a Brewers game if they are playing in Atlanta (TBS).

Ankf00
03-08-07, 05:18 PM
I live in an apartment complex so a dish, sadly, is not an option.

i've seen plenty of dishes propped up at every apt complex i've lived at. is there some municipal or state law banning them at apt's?

rabbit
03-08-07, 05:21 PM
i've seen plenty of dishes propped up at every apt complex i've lived at. is there some municipal or state law banning them at apt's?

Just the landlord's rules.

Ankf00
03-08-07, 05:24 PM
Just the landlord's rules.

http://www.skyangel.com/Equipment/Index.asp?Reference=Apartment&~=

Can local or state government, homeowner/condominium associations or landlords restrict installation of small dishes?

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has ruled that state or local laws or regulations, private covenants, homeowners' association rules, condominium or cooperative association restrictions, lease restrictions, or similar restrictions are invalid if they impair the right of a home or condo owner or renter to receive satellite programming on one or two dishes one meter (39.37 inches) or less in diameter installed on property within the owner or renter’s exclusive use or control. The satellite dish used to receive Sky Angel(sm) is 20 inches or less in diameter. For a person living in a multi-dwelling unit, an area such as a balcony, patio or garden not shared with other tenants would be considered property within the individual's exclusive use or control.

If you feel you are unreasonably being denied the right to install a small satellite dish or dishes, call the FCC's consumer hotline at 1-888-225-5322 or 1-202-418-7096 to request a copy of the FCC rules and to report any possible violation. You may also visit the FCC Web site for more information on this issue at http://www.fcc.gov/

Wabbit
03-08-07, 05:25 PM
Are you crying? Are you crying? ARE YOU CRYING? There's no crying! THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!

TKGAngel
03-08-07, 05:34 PM
The blackout rules are just insane. Everyone lives in one. Hell I am in the Rockies blackout zone even though it is a 540 mile drive to the stadium.

My house is in 4 different blackout zones, according to the website: Mets, Yankees, Indians and Pirates. Yet the Blue Jays, which are by far the closest team are in the clear. What the heck is MLB on?

Gnam
03-08-07, 05:35 PM
Do you have south facing window?

rabbit
03-08-07, 05:40 PM
http://www.skyangel.com/Equipment/Index.asp?Reference=Apartment&~=

That's all well and good if you have a balcony etc. I have a basement level apt with northeast-facing windows.

I just want to be able to watch it on my laptop. Is that too much to ask. (Apparently yes.)

oddlycalm
03-08-07, 05:41 PM
Yeah, you old farts need to move on already.:gomer: When I was a boy we listened to baseball on the radio and worked hard while we were doin' it....:gomer:

oc

cameraman
03-08-07, 06:02 PM
My house is in 4 different blackout zones, according to the website: Mets, Yankees, Indians and Pirates. Yet the Blue Jays, which are by far the closest team are in the clear. What the heck is MLB on?

Didn't think to look at all the teams. Seems I am in the Diamondbacks zone too. Phoenix is only 800 miles away:shakehead

Stu
03-08-07, 06:28 PM
That's all well and good if you have a balcony etc. I have a basement level apt with northeast-facing windows.

I just want to be able to watch it on my laptop. Is that too much to ask. (Apparently yes.)

Rabbit,

last year I was able to watch any tribe game on MLB.tv even though I'm in the Cleveland market. I figured out a real stupid flaw in their system, but who knows if it will be fixed for this year.

There are also ways that you can headfake them into thinking you have a different IP address by using a proxy server. It takes time to setup but it has been proven to work.

We can talk once the season gets underway and we have some blacked out games for you to test on.

Sean O'Gorman
03-08-07, 09:04 PM
Solution: Become a Tribe fan before the bandwagon piles on this year. :thumbup:

SteveH
03-08-07, 09:30 PM
the perils of living in Ohio

:D

dando
03-08-07, 11:08 PM
Rabbit,

last year I was able to watch any tribe game on MLB.tv even though I'm in the Cleveland market. I figured out a real stupid flaw in their system, but who knows if it will be fixed for this year.

There are also ways that you can headfake them into thinking you have a different IP address by using a proxy server. It takes time to setup but it has been proven to work.

We can talk once the season gets underway and we have some blacked out games for you to test on.

Actually, if it's not based on the billing info, just signup for a free AOL account under the new AOL.com offering, use the AOL OpenRide client, and you are passed through the AOL proxies, which doesn't allow for demographic IP address checks. But don't quote me on that. ;)

-Kevin

dando
03-08-07, 11:11 PM
the perils of living in Ohio

:D

Yeah, 2 MLB teams, 2 NFL teams (or 1.5 <g>), 1 NBA team....or are you considering IN as a suburb of Chicago? :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
03-08-07, 11:15 PM

Even better DishNetwork has exactly zero information on MLB packages for 2007 on their site. I called them and their answer was that Dish and MLB have no agreement for 2007. Don't know why but it sounds like MLB wants the money and they want me to watch it on my computer.

My computer is nowhere near my TV and i am not really in the mood to buy an iTV to connect the two. MLB can go pound sand.:flame:

I just found out what happened. MLB signed an agreement with DirecTV. MLB extra innings is now only available on DirecTV - it will not be on any cable system nor will it be on Dish Network.

**** MLB.

As was posted in another thread, that deal has not been made official (yet), and may face some scrutiny by the FCC. Apparently some Senator from BoSoxland got his shorts in a bunch over the proposed deal.

And yes, if this stands, **** the MLB along with the NFL. :mad:

-Kevin

Tim
03-08-07, 11:16 PM
It's nice because in Milwaukee they don't black out games. Even the when the TV guys take a Sunday off they were on Telemundo.

RHR_Fan
03-08-07, 11:23 PM
It's nice because in Milwaukee they don't black out games. Even the when the TV guys take a Sunday off they were on Telemundo.

Plus when the Brewers and the Cubs play sometimes they'll be on FSN and WGN at the same time. Going to be weird to have no Daron Sutton. No more Daron and Bill and their friends at the Good Feet Store commercials. :(

racermike
03-09-07, 01:22 AM
I dont think they would actually "look" at your IP address.

If you get the mlb.com package, it means you can view from anywhere. The problem is your BILLING address is in what they considered to be a blackout area.

Have someone you know out of state, purchase the package in their name/state/address (you give them the money), and bingo, you have your reds games.

Tony George
03-09-07, 02:25 AM
Yeah, 2 MLB teams, 2 NFL teams (or 1.5 <g>), 1 NBA team....or are you considering IN as a suburb of Chicago? :gomer:

-Kevin

When did the Blue Jackets start playing basketball? :gomer:

Stu
03-09-07, 08:31 AM
I dont think they would actually "look" at your IP address.

If you get the mlb.com package, it means you can view from anywhere. The problem is your BILLING address is in what they considered to be a blackout area.

Have someone you know out of state, purchase the package in their name/state/address (you give them the money), and bingo, you have your reds games.

Speaking as someone who has had mlb.tv for the last 3 years, it checks your IP.

devilmaster
03-09-07, 12:53 PM

Well, maybe they've found a sport they can be good at?

:runs: ;)

dando
03-10-07, 03:38 PM

I didn't mention MLS, NHL or AFL, aye? I don't consider them major leagues. Those are just niche sports leagues to me. YMMV.

Oh, and last time I checked, the Cavs were an NBA team. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
03-10-07, 09:31 PM

**** MLB.
Caught this in the local rag today:

Two senators plan to examine baseball’s seven-year, $700 million deal with DirecTV to determine its impact on fans.

Under the agreement announced Thursday, the deal contains a provision that allows its "Extra Innings" package of out-of-market games to remain on cable television if the other incumbent providers — iN Demand and EchoStar Communications Corp.’s Dish Network — agree to match the terms.

But Robert Jacobson, president of iN Demand Networks LLC, said those terms for the "Extra Innings" package of out-of-market games were impossible for his company to agree to and called it a "de facto exclusive deal."

"I will review this deal to ensure it benefits consumers," said Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass. "I’m encouraged that Major League Baseball may be willing to provide broader access to their games than what was initially proposed. I will be watching closely to ensure the league works in good faith so that America’s pastime is available to all fans. My concern all along has been that fans continue to have the ability to enjoy baseball on television."

The agreement also drew the attention of Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., the ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

"I will be analyzing the commitment to see ... if the conditions for other carriers are satisfactory," Specter said. "This arrangement should motivate the NFL to reconsider broader coverage on its Sunday ticket and Thursday/Saturday programming to make such games available to other carriers beyond DirecTV."

http://dispatch.com/sports-story.php?story=dispatch/2007/03/10/20070310-E10-01.html

Match the terms? Whatta friggin' joke! And with the blackout zones being as ridiculous as mentioned in this thread, the MLB.tv offering is not going to minimize the impact of this deal, as has been suggested by Selig. :flame: :mad:

-Kevin

Napoleon
03-11-07, 07:51 AM
Here is a story on this from Salon:

http://www.salon.com/sports/col/kaufman/2007/03/09/friday/