PDA

View Full Version : OK, so what do we expect AND hope for tomorrow?

Pages : [1] 2

Racing Truth
03-07-07, 04:30 PM
Two different questions, but tomorrow is indeed a big day. I HOPE for several (6-8) driver announcements, clarification of the engine situation, and significant sponsor deals.

I expect: 2-3 driver/team deals, an engine deal that will be decent, but not make us forget about Ford, and minor sponsorships.

You?

KLang
03-07-07, 04:33 PM
I predict there is nothing they can announce that will satisfy some folks.

I'm not depending on tomorrow's announcements to clear up all the questions. I'll wait and see what shows up in Vegas.

Sean Malone
03-07-07, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I agree although I'll be surprised if they announce an engine badger.

I'm hoping for a title sponsor/business partner that will "knock my socks off".

Socks on and ready.

G.
03-07-07, 04:39 PM
I can't find my socks. That whole Alesi and Speedcar thing...

(serious reply when I get a chance)

Ankf00
03-07-07, 04:40 PM
I predict there is nothing they can announce that will satisfy some folks.

it has nothing to do with satisfaction of unreasonable expectations.

but like Stevesie said in the other thread, it's about them delivering what they've promised, or rather the failure to do so. Repeatedly. Ad naseum.

Don't feed me bull about "significant announcements" when you have nothing or are only announcing a new color for the series' safety trucks or something equally inane.

anywho, I'm expecting the same ol', some decent news, some no news, status quo maintained, same as every year

dando
03-07-07, 04:40 PM
I expect the sun to rise and then to set. Everything in b/w will work itself out, but I'll hang onto my socks just in case. ;)

A piece by DP on the expectations for tomorrow:

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/35799/

I learned long ago not to hold my breath over this stuff....the sun will rise and set regardless of what CCWS does. And like Steve said, if they were to go away, I'd just go to the grocery store...to get some more beer. :)

-Kevin

Spicoli
03-07-07, 04:46 PM
Well, its STEVE JOHNSON, KK, and everyone else that has been yapping endl;essly about car counts, sponsors, etc...so they better come up with some reall BIG announcements, not just "offical Beer" nonsense.

I think i will refer to these as "Sherwin Williams" announcements. I shop there pretty much exclusively for paint - and have for years. When the CCWS/Sherwin Williams "partnership" or whatever the F it was/is announced, I went down there and they knew absoutely nothing about it. Still don;t as of a couple weeks ago.

Look - these guys can throw out press release after press release about this thing, and unless there is some serious jack behind it, its absolutely worthless.

David B - last guy to have the Sales Director job at CCWS, brought in ONE sponsoship in (i think ) 18 months or however long he lasted. Roshfrans. Big fuggin deal. WGAF. how much money was it? how did it/ does it affect the series? Please tell me.

What these guys need to do is go after manufacturer support. Make it the best possible deal out there. Make it a no-brainer. Start with 2 - say Mazda and Nissan - and go from there. All the previous sponsorship was built on the manufacturer model (with some limited retail whern the series had the numbers) which is the solid B2B platform of automotive. Ask them what they want in the series. WHERE do they want to be, and start working from there. Do you know how many companies want to be in the paddock with manfufacturers? TONS. And if you can;t get the manuf. model going, find a vertical market like PCs or tech. Had a good start there with CDW, what happened? I would think lots of people would like to play with them.

And I know they have hired a new marketing/sponso seeking company, but WHAT makes you think this is going to be ANY different than years past???

Malone had a good post on another thread about the problems, and i won;t rehash them, but JEEBUS, at least i have provided some guidance to this band or idiots. :p

Spicoli
03-07-07, 04:49 PM
I'm not depending on tomorrow's announcements ......

why not? That's what THEY told us to watch for. :irked:

Nothing personal at all, but you give these guys WAY too much credit and accept very little accountability.:shakehead

KLang
03-07-07, 04:50 PM
it has nothing to do with satisfaction of unreasonable expectations.

but like Stevesie said in the other thread, it's about them delivering what they've promised, or rather the failure to do so. Repeatedly. Ad naseum.

Don't feed me bull about "significant announcements" when you have nothing or are only announcing a new color for the series' safety trucks or something equally inane.

Easy solution to the problem: Don't believe the PR. I don't so my expectations aren't all that high to begin with. :D

KLang
03-07-07, 04:51 PM
why not? That's what THEY told us to watch for. :irked:

Nothing personal at all, but you give these guys WAY too much credit and accept very little accountability.:shakehead

See my post above.

Ed_Severson
03-07-07, 04:52 PM

They're yellow and orange now, instead of yellow and green.

Don't act like you're not impressed. :D

Racing Truth
03-07-07, 04:53 PM
Easy solution to the problem: Don't believe the PR. I don't so my expectations aren't all that high to begin with. :D

ORRR don't release the PR in the 1st place?

Nah, makes too much sense

Spicoli
03-07-07, 04:58 PM
They're yellow and orange now, instead of yellow and green.

Don't act like you're not impressed. :D

the ChampCar World Series presented by the color Orange! :gomer:

:laugh:

Spicoli
03-07-07, 05:00 PM
See my post above.

makes no sense. You'll argue here that everything is fine....but how do you make that determination? just wait till Vegas, and then say "well, at least they have 15 cars on the track, so I am thankful for that!"

And thankful for the color Orange. :cry:

KLang
03-07-07, 05:06 PM
makes no sense. You'll argue here that everything is fine....but how do you make that determination? just wait till Vegas, and then say "well, at least they have 15 cars on the track, so I am thankful for that!"

Find me a post where I have stated everything is fine. I'll save you the trouble, I've never said that. I have said I remain optimistic. I'm just an optimistic kind of guy, sue me.

After all the crap that's gone on since 95 I just don't get too excitable about any of this anymore. I still enjoy the races and that's what counts for me right now.

BTW, I don't buy into any companies PR. Not just Champ Car.

Ankf00
03-07-07, 05:16 PM
BTW, I don't buy into any companies PR. Not just Champ Car.

it's not like when Steve Jobbs, XOM, SLB, or Boeing let's everyone know they have a major announcement they deliver. real companies never present themselves in a professional manner...

dando
03-07-07, 05:20 PM
it's not like when Steve Jobbs, XOM, SLB, or Boeing let's everyone know they have a major announcement they deliver. real companies never present themselves in a professional manner...

Well, them cos. have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders. We're just fans. :(

-Kevin

devilmaster
03-07-07, 05:37 PM
If these '7 or 8 announcements' are taken up mostly by individual team driver announcements - aka announcing each driver as 1 announcement - then i'm going to be pissed and I'm going to add it to the list of promises not kept.

All the drivers they announce tomorrow should be 1 of these annoucements. I want my socks knocked off, I want to see that this offseason was the turning point.

I don't believe it will be. Prove me wrong, Amigos.

extramundane
03-07-07, 05:43 PM
If these '7 or 8 announcements' are taken up mostly by individual team driver announcements - aka announcing each driver as 1 announcement - then i'm going to be pissed and I'm going to add it to the list of promises not kept.

I'd take that one step further and submit that if the names Verstappen, Sperafico or Jensen are included, that particular announcement is automatically null and void.

RHR_Fan
03-07-07, 06:58 PM
What do I hope for:
HUGE announcements (good) that make us think holy crud, I never saw that coming.

What do I expect:
A few driver (6'ish) announcements and perhaps some sponsor announcements.

~Nicole

GLenz
03-07-07, 07:07 PM
I don't know why there is such an urgent need for sponsor anouncements. They already landed that big slot-car deal;)

G.
03-07-07, 07:15 PM
Expect: Maybe one decent surprise and a bunch of stuff we've already heard/speculated on. Socks to remain firmly attached.

Hope: 'Dinger. Yeah, no schlitz. Kat in a top notch ride. We can't let our girl become irrelevant. $pon$ors. So many that you can't swing a dead cat in the paddock without hitting them. Official Dead Cat of the (114 letter abbreviation for CCWS) brought to you by Purina. Manufacturers. Hospitality. Swag. 19 in Vegas, 2 more for one-offs. Hey, it's hope, right? Go-Kart raffles. Video game. A race at least every 2 weeks in the season. Including May. The Mile.

Biggest hope: That the cheerleaders are right and I am wrong.

jonovision_man
03-07-07, 11:05 PM
Biggest hope: That the cheerleaders are right and I am wrong.

I second that. :)

I don't expect much, hopefully the grid firming up and a sponsor or engine badge.

jono

Opposite Lock
03-07-07, 11:09 PM
Hope to hear:
8. A race at Laguna Seca is being added to the schedule.
7. Spring schedule gap filled in with a real race or two.
6. Fall schedule gap filled in with a real race or two.
5. Breaking news from Indianapolis: “A helicopter and a pagoda at…”
4. A decent racing sim that includes the real CART tracks.
3. CCWS owners group wrestles control of WGI away from ISC.
2. “A series … “ (what’s that word for a company that invests money?)
1. Eighteen drivers signed today, four more by tomorrow.

Expect to hear:
8. Competitive clog dancing at select Euro-tour events, with “drifting twist”.
7. CCIC conducting pot-luck cakewalks now at most North American venues.
6. Support races to be replaced by Cirque du Soleil interpretive dances.
5. Talented penguins replaced by ride-buying club-racing penguins. (niche)
4. Tony Cotman and Robin Miller make GF’s On-Notice list.
3. Sperafico.
2. CCWS endorses a slot-car tie-in.
1. DP-01 is a worthy replacement for the Lola.

GOFAST1
03-07-07, 11:33 PM
It's a 5 year plan and things are just fine.Every year we go unther micro analysis by media and a fans. All Champcar forums are visited in huge numbers 20 to 1 compare to other series therefore we are wery happy that huge number of people care for state of Champcar. Now we go testing.Thank you for your support.:thumbup:

G.
03-07-07, 11:46 PM
It's a 5 year plan and things are just fine.Every year we go unther micro analysis by media and a fans. All Champcar forums are visited in huge numbers 20 to 1 compare to other series therefore we are wery happy that huge number of people care for state of Champcar. Now we go testing.Thank you for your support.:thumbup:Oh dear.

jonovision_man
03-07-07, 11:54 PM
It's a 5 year plan and things are just fine.Every year we go unther micro analysis by media and a fans. All Champcar forums are visited in huge numbers 20 to 1 compare to other series therefore we are wery happy that huge number of people care for state of Champcar. Now we go testing.Thank you for your support.:thumbup:

The world needs optimists. ;)

"Just fine" is what things were about a decade ago... "barely surviving" is where the series is now. Hopefully.

jono

Ziggy
03-08-07, 12:02 AM
We need more hobo drivers with flimsier credentials

We need more veiled announcments that add up to nothing but ghost sponsorship

We need to feel even more out of touch with the on track product

We need worse announcers with less experiance

We need to be told that giant strides and huge steps have been taken, while going to fewer and fewer MidWest races

We need an under engineered car that's harder to work on, therefore bolstering our already fledgeling car count

We need to blow our budget on undertrays and halfshafts

We need more cheerleaders that are "good friends" with Paul to tell us everything is just peachy keen

Sean Malone
03-08-07, 12:06 AM

"...things are just fine".

OK, if you say so! :)

Opposite Lock
03-08-07, 12:13 AM
Oh dear.

bizarro-paff :tony:

Sean O'Gorman
03-08-07, 01:13 AM

:laugh:

chop456
03-08-07, 02:49 AM

We need to be told that giant strides and huge steps have been taken, while going to fewer and fewer MidWest races

We need an under engineered car that's harder to work on, therefore bolstering our already fledgeling car count

We need more cheerleaders that are "good friends" with Paul to tell us everything is just peachy keen

Perfect. :thumbup:

rabbit
03-08-07, 03:22 AM

I'd say that's one comprehensive list. I don't think you missed a thing.

cart7
03-08-07, 07:49 AM
I've set the bar to the ground. If they offer free double butter on the popcorn at the concession stands in exchange for sidepod coverage on one extra car by the National Butter Makers Assoc. , they've already exceeded my expectations.

Spicoli
03-08-07, 08:08 AM
I've set the bar to the ground. If they offer free double butter on the popcorn at the concession stands in exchange for sidepod coverage on one extra car by the National Butter Makers Assoc. , they've already exceeded my expectations.

now,,,you understand,,, the FANs,,,,,are what,,,

I can't do this anymore. :gomer:

Easy
03-08-07, 11:46 AM

signed,
the Woodsy and Mustachioed Defender of the Champ Car World Series.

Easy
03-08-07, 11:48 AM
Oh and as for expected announcements, I'm hoping for a Las Vegas theme park.

extramundane
03-08-07, 12:25 PM
Oh and as for expected announcements, I'm hoping for a Las Vegas theme park.

You must be this tall to buy a ride...

Sean Malone
03-08-07, 12:26 PM
You must be this tall to buy a ride...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

skaven
03-08-07, 12:27 PM

I'm with you, but hold the butter.... :gomer:

devilmaster
03-08-07, 12:38 PM
Your money pile must be this tall to buy a ride...

fixed for ya ;)

Insomniac
03-08-07, 12:59 PM
I don't expect anything. I just expect 18 cars to show up in Vegas. Which ones have sponsors and what not won't really matter.

I'd love for things to be better than that, but whatever. It doesn't matter what happens, I guess anything would be better than what's "out there" right now.

RichK
03-08-07, 01:15 PM
Ziggy is my hero!

rabbit
03-08-07, 01:27 PM

They may exceed your expectations, but that won't get them any closer to putting a viable product out there. I expect George Bush to know how to tie his own shoes, but that doesn't make him a good president. (Disclaimer: Before anyone tries to start a political debate, I'm merely using that as an analogy. I'm not making a political statement either way)

You can build a much more successful company by setting high expectations and meeting them than by setting low expectations and exceeding them just to make people feel good.

Dr. Corkski
03-08-07, 01:29 PM
I expect George Bush to know how to tie his own shoes, but that doesn't make him a good president.Sure it does. The United States of America is a niche country.

Racing Truth
03-08-07, 01:50 PM
Sure it does. The United States of America is a niche country.

:laugh: :laugh: :rofl:

Brilliant!

Spicoli
03-08-07, 01:53 PM
http://www.crash.net/news_View~cid~3~id~144174.htm

oh man! this is AWESOME!

Tristan Gommendy appears set to sign up for the second seat at PKV Racing, where he will join the already confirmed Neel Jani. The Frenchman contested a part-season of GP2 last season, before being sidelined by a financial shortfall that allowed Timo Glock to step in alongside Ernesto Viso and revive his career to the point where he was snapped up as a test driver by BMW Sauber.

:rolleyes:

RusH
03-08-07, 01:58 PM

oh man! this is AWESOME!

:rolleyes:

My eyes did a doubletake...looked like a Gomerbilly at first. :rofl:

extramundane
03-08-07, 02:00 PM
Good thing I left my socks at home today. :gomer:

ZSOLT BAUMGARTNER NAMED AS TEST AND RESERVE DRIVER

LAGUNA SECA, CALIFORNIA, March 8, 2007

Minardi Team USA is pleased to announce that Zsolt Baumgartner has been appointed official test and reserve driver for the 2007 season. The 26-year old Hungarian racer, who previously competed for Minardi in the 2004 FIA Formula One World Championship, will join Dutch driver, Robert Doornbos, for the two-day Champ Car World Series Spring Training session, at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, commencing today. He will also be present at the majority of Champ Car weekends this season.

:Zsoltmania:

Spicoli
03-08-07, 02:04 PM
Good thing I left my socks at home today. :gomer:

:Zsoltmania:

yeah, wtf is THAT? test drivers? :tony:

Of course, over on KoolAidFanatics, they are sure that this is a sign of minardi running FOUR CARS!!!!

:tony:

:underwhelmed: x 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000

RusH
03-08-07, 02:05 PM
So far.. we have new frog and a test driver:gomer:

Racing Truth
03-08-07, 02:08 PM
:raises hand:

How useless does Zsolt have to be if he'll take a ChampCar testing and reserve spot?

:lowers hand:

So, we have:

1. A new Safety Team sponsor
2. A Frenchman I've never heard of.
3. "Zsolt-mania!"

Exciting stuff.:tony:

extramundane
03-08-07, 02:11 PM
Of course, over on KoolAidFanatics, they are sure that this is a sign of minardi running FOUR CARS!!!!

2 cars + 2-seater = 4 cars. Duh. :gomer:

Spicoli
03-08-07, 02:15 PM
oh, there's more:

RuSport & Rocketsports = 2 cars.

Bye CO, hello Lansing. :gomer2:

I am not sure how, but the CommaChuggers are saying this is a GOOD thing...

"lower costs mean they have more money to buy more cars..." :shakehead

Oh - and Beekhuis and Rick B calling from the booth.

that makes what, FIVE?

3 to go!

oh wait, we had the 2 beer sponsors, so we gotr ONE more announcement!

:yuck:

this is sofa king sad.

Spicoli
03-08-07, 02:19 PM
Ranger is in at Coyne for ONE day of tests.

Kat has 1 seat. DC not even sure he will run 2.

Friday: Ranger Day
Sat: Blinky Day

AGAIN THIS IS AWESOME NEWS! THIS MAKES 8 ANNOUNCEMENTS! CCWS IS SAVED!

:gomer:

Racing Truth
03-08-07, 02:25 PM
You know things could be better when,,,,certain corners,,,,are no doubt,,,,crowing about,,,,,testing announcements.

Question (serious): The Rusport and Rocketsports thing- two cars each, or together?

Spicoli
03-08-07, 02:28 PM
You know things could be better when,,,,certain corners,,,,are no doubt,,,,crowing about,,,,,testing announcements.

Question (serious): The Rusport and Rocketsports thing- two cars each, or together?

together. some speculation that justin's contract calls for a teammate. Gentilozzi's needs money so there's a match.

Ankf00
03-08-07, 02:30 PM
pretty much how many here thought it would go. not like we haven't had offseason after offseason of this very same business play out.

Racing Truth
03-08-07, 02:31 PM
together. some speculation that justin's contract calls for a teammate. Gentilozzi's needs money so there's a match.

Hoooozaaaahhhhh!:tony:

BTW: Is it just my impression, or does Gentiloser have more influence than he used to?

LONG LIVE CHAMP CAR! HALLELUJAH!:tony:

Racing Truth
03-08-07, 02:31 PM
On the AR1 rumors page:
No idea WTF his cell phone # has to do with anything, but you could call and ask him. :gomer:

Marxie's a new PKV sponsor?

:gomer: :gomer:

rabbit
03-08-07, 02:32 PM

Dude hasn't even tested!? WTF kind of "professional organization" signs untested drivers?! Proof positive that the only thing that matters anymore is that the check clears the bank. :shakehead :yuck: :thumdown:

Racing Truth
03-08-07, 02:35 PM
pretty much how many here thought it would go. not like we haven't had offseason after offseason of this very same business play out.

Yes, but we have Zsolt-mania so chuck your negativity out of here!:tony:

rabbit
03-08-07, 02:36 PM
Marxie's a new PKV sponsor?

:gomer: :gomer:
It's gone now.:laugh:

Ankf00
03-08-07, 02:45 PM
Dude hasn't even tested!? WTF kind of "professional organization" signs untested drivers?! Proof positive that the only thing that matters anymore is that the check clears the bank. :shakehead :yuck: :thumdown:

we've already been over this. it's not a professional sport, it's just niche. NICHE.

G.
03-08-07, 02:48 PM
we've already been over this. it's not a professional sport, it's just niche. NICHE."The Knights that say..."

Ankf00
03-08-07, 03:07 PM
http://www.xecode.com/blog2/upload/2006/06/%5BDivX%20-%20ENG%5D%20Monty%20Python%20And%20The%20Holy%20Gr ail.avi_001705578.jpg

Ziggy
03-08-07, 03:19 PM
What a bunch of brownouts. :thumdown:

The comment about the french guy not even testing is very telling..... and he has a history of running out of cash. A couple of wrecks, and he's gone before the dog days of summer are even upon us

much like this series

Bring on the Sprint Cars :cool:

Racing Truth
03-08-07, 03:35 PM
From D. Phillips' latest:

But it remains to be seen whether fans at Vegas and Phoenix, Long Beach and Cleveland, Edmonton and Mexico City or, for that matter, Assen and Zolder, will long flock to see a field of former Minardi and Red Bull test drivers (“Formula 1 light” in the words of one wag. Where have you gone, Zolt Baumgartner?

He just didn't know what Zsolt means.:tony:

devilmaster
03-08-07, 03:43 PM
http://i18.tinypic.com/2dlrgpc.jpg

:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

Gnam
03-08-07, 03:47 PM
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/2418/statlerwaldorfkt1.jpg

*grumble grumble* harrumph! *grumble*

STD
03-08-07, 04:10 PM
Guess the big announcements are on double secret probation again.
I feel so outside the loop. :rolleyes: :shakehead

CC iconic news from yesterday...

Stoddart to commentate at Australian GP
Written by Administrator
Wednesday, 07 March 2007
Mar.7 (GMM) Former Minardi boss Paul Stoddart will act as a commentator at Melbourne's formula one race next week, it has emerged. The local newspaper Herald Sun said Australian Stoddart, who has moved the iconic Italian racing name to the American Champ Car series, will work for the radio channel 3AW.

Racing Truth
03-08-07, 04:24 PM
^^"Iconic.":rofl:

H=ll, can they at least announce Graham at N-H? :\

extramundane
03-08-07, 04:36 PM
Awesomeness.
(http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57139)

PKV co-owner Jimmy Vasser said: "I only met Tristan this morning, but he has raced well in many different types of open-wheel car, and everyone I've spoken to has said he's fast.

"There were a lot of candidates for this ride, including Oriol, but it didn't work out. We didn't move quickly in getting Neel a partner because we needed the right person. We believe we have that."

I wonder how drunk I'd have to be to say that in public with a straight face?

Spicoli
03-08-07, 04:59 PM
Awesomeness.

oh for ****'s sake this is just ridiculous. **** you jimmy, that is just plain bullcrap.

let's see - a guy who was THE FASTEST IN TESTING THE DP01, with several years CCWS experience vs. some french douchey-douche kid who you never even met until this morning? GMAFB. big fat smack back to you, koolaid chugger.

this is just plain embarassing.:shakehead

ride Buyers R us! :gomer:

Spicoli
03-08-07, 05:08 PM
spyplanes: mazda = official pace car and buying some commercials.

riiiight. big move there from Atlantics sponsorship to lending a couple cars to CCWS.

T-forum Gomers are laughing their a$$e$ off. This is worser than i even expected.:irked:

Insomniac
03-08-07, 05:09 PM
Awesomeness.

Good news for all. If other people say you're fast, you could get a CC ride! :)

Ankf00
03-08-07, 05:10 PM
Good news for all. If other people say you're fast, you could get a CC ride! :)

so you're saying O'Gorman has hope if he hasn't pissed off all his parking lot pimp buddies by now?

G.
03-08-07, 05:11 PM
OK, so now we've got Mazda. That's good.

CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES ENTERS PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT WITH MAZDA NORTH AMERICAN OPERATIONS

INDIANAPOLIS (March 8, 2007) – The Champ Car World Series today entered an agreement with Mazda North American Operations that will see the famed manufacturer become The Official Vehicle of the Champ Car World Series for 2007.

Mazda will be able to showcase its performance cars as part of the Champ Car Pace Car Program, and will have its trucks, SUVs and crossover vehicles featured as part of the world-renowned Holmatro Safety Team, Champ Car’s fast-response safety squad.

Ruben Barrios
03-08-07, 05:12 PM
^^^One down seven more to go...

pchall
03-08-07, 05:13 PM
:raises hand:

How useless does Zsolt have to be if he'll take a ChampCar testing and reserve spot?

Baumgartner has been involved with the Minardi two-seater program: he's probably going to be hustling around the VIPs and moneybags.

Bert Backracked
03-08-07, 05:19 PM
Mister Tristan
Oh the time has come
to spend your daddy's money
see He really is dumb
Where could you go?
Your a fume sucker we know
Your going to race the other rich boys
in their daddys shinney new toys

Your gomering
and going to make the grid
even though your a track squid
You will be alright in this series

Mister Tristan
your not going to go to fast
but then again no one can beat Seabass
even he would jump at the chance to take a flight
would sign with Torro Rosso and bail on this plight
'cause in all this strife, they have sucked out the life
of a series that was once proud
now it's bush league for crying out loud

There gomering
the horse has left the barn
paper spin us another yarn
Champcar serves up bullfeathers and then some
how are the ticket sales for Ansen?

Spicoli
03-08-07, 05:25 PM
OK, so now we've got Mazda. That's good.

not impressed:

The Champ Car World Series today entered an agreement with Mazda North American Operations that will see the famed manufacturer become The Official Vehicle of the Champ Car World Series for 2007.

Mazda will be able to showcase its performance cars as part of the Champ Car Pace Car Program, and will have its trucks, SUVs and crossover vehicles featured as part of the world-renowned Holmatro Safety Team, Champ Car’s fast-response safety squad.

official vehicle for ONE year...turcks and SUVs as PART of the safety team?

I'm about the biggest BSer around, but please....:yuck:

extramundane
03-08-07, 05:41 PM
Baumgartner has been involved with the Minardi two-seater program: he's probably going to be hustling around the VIPs and moneybags.

Does the series have moneybags to hustle around?

rabbit
03-08-07, 05:43 PM
Does the series have moneybags to hustle around?Yeah, but he already got the second PKV seat.

Wheel-Nut
03-08-07, 05:43 PM
From the SpeedTV write up I get the feeling Zsolt is bringing money.

formulaben
03-08-07, 05:44 PM
Hope to hear:
8. A race at Laguna Seca is being added to the schedule.
7. Spring schedule gap filled in with a real race or two.
6. Fall schedule gap filled in with a real race or two.
5. Breaking news from Indianapolis: “A helicopter and a pagoda at…”
4. A decent racing sim that includes the real CART tracks.
3. CCWS owners group wrestles control of WGI away from ISC.
2. “A series … “ (what’s that word for a company that invests money?)
1. Eighteen drivers signed today, four more by tomorrow.

Expect to hear:
8. Competitive clog dancing at select Euro-tour events, with “drifting twist”.
7. CCIC conducting pot-luck cakewalks now at most North American venues.
6. Support races to be replaced by Cirque du Soleil interpretive dances.
5. Talented penguins replaced by ride-buying club-racing penguins. (niche)
3. Sperafico.
2. CCWS endorses a slot-car tie-in.
1. DP-01 is a worthy replacement for the Lola.

:D

Sean Malone
03-08-07, 05:45 PM
not impressed:

official vehicle for ONE year...turcks and SUVs as PART of the safety team?

I'm about the biggest BSer around, but please....:yuck:

Hey, they possibly could have a rig at the races where you can buy Mazda hats and see a CX7 up close and personal. That counts for something, do it not? Well, do it not?

rabbit
03-08-07, 05:46 PM
http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/2007/ChampCar/OffSeason/Mazda2.jpg

formulaben
03-08-07, 05:52 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/35848/

Spicoli
03-08-07, 05:54 PM
Hey, they possibly could have a rig at the races where you can buy Mazda hats and see a CX7 up close and personal. That counts for something, do it not? Well, do it not?

Well, they COULD have, but i already got me a big truck to haul the boat - AND i already have a hat, so no. :D

Ruben Barrios
03-08-07, 05:55 PM
I'll still buy and Audi SUV but the CX-9 is very cool

Sean Malone
03-08-07, 06:01 PM
On Mazda -
The California-based company will also be running a number of ads on the Champ Car World Series website in both banner and video form.

Banner and video!

:thumbup:

nrc
03-08-07, 06:06 PM
So we have a "safety car" now? :\

Gnam
03-08-07, 06:14 PM
Apparently there's still a Pace Car. lineup (http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/2007/ChampCar/OffSeason/Mazda1.jpg)

I guess the Safety Car came with the F1-lite kit. :p

STD
03-08-07, 06:24 PM
This is all too titillating.

Bringing fresh ideas, yeah right Steve

SCCA Spec Miata Series

RichK
03-08-07, 06:40 PM
GREAT ANNOUNCEMENTS!

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/images/smilies/g.gif

Ankf00
03-08-07, 06:41 PM
where's FTG? where's GOFAST1? where's all this "progress"?

today was a joke.

devilmaster
03-08-07, 06:42 PM
I just woke up from a nap... someone got the coles notes for today?

spinner26
03-08-07, 06:56 PM
does Ford still not own 51% of Mazda?:confused:

Sean Malone
03-08-07, 06:57 PM
does Ford still not own 51% of Mazda?:confused:

33.4%