PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR in Mexico

jonovision_man
03-04-07, 03:45 PM
Classic JPM move there... :thumbup:

A real shame he's not in a road racing series full-time, though.

jono

Napoleon
03-04-07, 04:16 PM
I forgot this was on!

Sean O'Gorman
03-04-07, 04:56 PM
Honestly, at what point does this become any different than, say, Trans-Am 10-15 years ago? Good stuff.

jonovision_man
03-04-07, 05:01 PM
Messed up a fuel stop (not his fault)... now he's got some work to do.

The restart should be awesome, hope he can carve this field like a turkey. :)

jono

EDwardo
03-04-07, 05:45 PM
Messed up a fuel stop (not his fault)... now he's got some work to do.

The restart should be awesome, hope he can carve this field like a turkey. :)

jono

19th to 3rd in 11 laps

EDwardo
03-04-07, 05:48 PM
oh crap. JP spun his teammate Pruett. But he is in 1st place.

B3RACER1a
03-04-07, 05:54 PM
Montoya being aggresive and Pruet being defensive. Pruet had to have seen Montoya coming...that and Montoya could have waited. Ooops on both.

Sean O'Gorman
03-04-07, 06:01 PM
Do they not know how to use corner yellows at this track????

Accipiter
03-04-07, 06:07 PM
You can't lay any blame on Scooter. Juan just stuck it in too late.

Way too many crap cautions in this race.

FCYTravis
03-04-07, 06:07 PM
No, NASCAR doesn't know how to use local yellows.

Napoleon
03-04-07, 06:19 PM
Congrats JPM.

BTW was that Brad Daugherty with those other two guys as a commentator?

Pruett is POed.

Willam
03-04-07, 06:19 PM
Holy S$!t have you ever seen Scooter so pi$$ed???

And he still managed to finish 5th...

Accipiter
03-04-07, 06:21 PM
Wow. Scooter is livid. I think that's the first time I've ever seen him say a bad thing about anyone.

jonovision_man
03-04-07, 06:24 PM
Classic Montoya race start to finish... including being too aggressive and sticking his nose in one someone who then turns in on him.

Whose fault? Meh. Racing incident basically, but given that it was his teammate JPM should have been a lot more cautious.

Just awesome driving coming back from 19th though! Incredible. :+ :)

jono

emjaya
03-04-07, 06:27 PM
Where did Ambrose finish?

Opposite Lock
03-04-07, 06:31 PM
best off-season race yet.

Sean O'Gorman
03-04-07, 06:37 PM

8th place.

jonovision_man
03-04-07, 06:37 PM

He had a late spin... so probably not well. But before that was in the top 5, looked good out there.

jono

spinner26
03-04-07, 06:47 PM
I like watching Scooter but let me tell ya, this IS NASCAR and after the third lap pass he should have expected nothing less from Monty.

Kudo's to JPM and to whoever at Ganassi allowed them to race.:thumbup:

Turbodog
03-04-07, 07:14 PM
Montoya in ingles is Earnhardt :gomer:

nissan gtp
03-04-07, 07:20 PM
hahaha Pruett got what he deserved for chopping down on JPM

contrats to Juan, damn good win.

nice to see Connie again too :p

emjaya
03-04-07, 08:02 PM
He had a late spin... so probably not well. But before that was in the top 5, looked good out there.

jono

First time on a road circuit in a car he's still leaning to drive, so, a top 5 would have been great, but in the top 10 is good. :)

Redwing
03-04-07, 08:48 PM
Honestly, at what point does this become any different than, say, Trans-Am 10-15 years ago? Good stuff.

Simple. These guys found a way to build and grow a series using tube frames, pushrods/carburetor V8's, while the SCCA couldn't, for some reason. That's the difference. That and P. Gentilozzi.;)

Anytime someone pushes Pruett out of the way, it's a victory.

jonovision_man
03-04-07, 08:55 PM
First time on a road circuit in a car he's still leaning to drive, so, a top 5 would have been great, but in the top 10 is good. :)

Yup! He sure didn't embarass himself, seemed to have a good handle on the car and could have been a contender for the podium (what's that? :gomer: ) if not for his spin.

jono

cart7
03-04-07, 09:06 PM
I was looking forward to this and JPM didn't disappoint. Too bad for Scooter but it looked like one of them thar racin deals to me. He did climb back to fifth. Impressive. Great one but too many FCY's. :thumbup:

BTW, who is this Hamlin kid? He's pretty impressive.

Chitowncartfreak
03-04-07, 09:20 PM
Wow. Scooter is livid. I think that's the first time I've ever seen him say a bad thing about anyone.

I think the only other time I've seen Scooter p.o'd was Cleveland 1995 after he and DeFerran came together with a handful of laps to go. They had a fairly heated conversation after that.

Sean O'Gorman
03-04-07, 09:34 PM
So I'm guessing when Scott pulled up alongside Montoya on the cooldown lap, Juan didn't stick his fist out and yell "SHAKE AND BAKE?"

Badger
03-04-07, 09:36 PM
Racing deals my ass:irked: . If they had gone down the front straight with Montoya alongside and then contact occurred under braking, than maybe it can be called a racing deal. The first time Montoyo had any part of the car under Pruett was only at the very last second when Pruett turned in at the normal point, and even then, his left corner just caught Pruetts right rear. I don't know what people here think Scott should have done, entered the corner wide in case Juan made some bs punt move? I like Montoya, but totally classless win.

extramundane
03-04-07, 09:39 PM
Honestly, at what point does this become any different than, say, Trans-Am 10-15 years ago?

Yeah, Trans-Am 10-15 years ago pretty much sucked too, so that's a fair comparison.

Ed_Severson
03-04-07, 09:51 PM
I like Montoya, but totally classless win.

It's NASCAR ... Juan's just proven he can play the game hillbilly style.

jonovision_man
03-04-07, 10:19 PM
I don't know what people here think Scott should have done, entered the corner wide in case Juan made some bs punt move?

To play devil's advocate.

Scott would have seen Juan pull out from behind him to take the inside of the corner. He must have assumed Juan would back off. Juan didn't. Bump.

I'm not saying it was Scott's fault by any stretch, but Juan quite clearly could have made the corner on a tight inside line if Scott had given it to him. But Scott really had no reason to think Juan was going to try that move... it was pretty stupid.

Juan's always been aggressive, that's what I love about him. Not always the best for public relations. Or team relations. Or winning championships. Or races. :D But fun to watch. :D

jono

Redwing
03-04-07, 11:27 PM
I think the only other time I've seen Scooter p.o'd was Cleveland 1995 after he and DeFerran came together with a handful of laps to go. They had a fairly heated conversation after that.

The thing that I couldn't believe was that Scooter was angry after that. After all, DeFerran had a narrow lead with a few laps left when he came up to lap Pruett at the chicane before the straight. Pruett ignored the blue flags and turned right into Gil. Anyone else remember this?

Sean Malone
03-05-07, 12:22 AM
Wait a second! Are you guys telling me that ex-CART driver Scott Pruett and ex CART/F1 star Juan Pablo Montoya battled today in the NASCAR Busch series for 1-2?

Are they still driving?

I gotta sit down.:eek:

theunions
03-05-07, 05:28 AM
The thing that I couldn't believe was that Scooter was angry after that. After all, DeFerran had a narrow lead with a few laps left when he came up to lap Pruett at the chicane before the straight. Pruett ignored the blue flags and turned right into Gil. Anyone else remember this?

I do...100% Scooter's fault, unlike what happened this weekend.

chop456
03-05-07, 06:28 AM

Ding! It's the land of the punt pass. He's doing what everyone else does. Harvick's punt of Robby Gordon a couple years back was a million times worse as he was a lapped car. That's racin, :gomer: style.

Funny also that the foul was commited by neckcar regular Montoya on a hired gun, sissified road-racin' furriner like Pruett. :laugh:

Turbodog
03-05-07, 07:16 AM
Ding! It's the land of the punt pass. He's doing what everyone else does. Harvick's punt of Robbie Gordon a couple years back was a million times worse as he was a lapped car.

that was Sonoma I remember, just wait and see if he can do it on a last lap at Bristol :p

spinner26
03-05-07, 07:23 AM
that was Sonoma I remember, just wait and see if he can do it on a last lap at Bristol :p

I like Juan but he won't be around for the last lap at Bristol. I'm hoping he makes it half way, that'd be a good first time at Bristol if he can get to halfway.

robot9000
03-05-07, 10:35 AM
Not a bad race. Good for Juan.

Need more full course yellows though....

And more Debris Yellows, I thought I saw 1/2 a rubber band on the side of the track when I paused the Tivo to get more Caffine....

Fio1
03-05-07, 11:07 AM
That was a dumb move by Montoya. Just because these cars have fenders, doesn't mean you can punt the guy out of the way. Pruett was turning in when Montoya went for the pass. There was no way he would have made the pass cleanly.

You don't do that to a teammate with 9 laps to go and you have fresher tires. :shakehead Moves like this is the reason why he is no longer in F1! :thumdown:

Wheel-Nut
03-05-07, 11:20 AM

Exactly . . .rubbin' is racin' and that is what draws the crowds. J. P. Montoya did what he needed to do to win.

Speaking of crowds, it looked a little sparse in Mexico City.

Andrew Longman
03-05-07, 11:23 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the race even if Montoya's bump on Scooter made me cringe. I don't think it was intentional in the least, but certainly overly optimistic. Actually I thought is pass of Pruett at the beginning of the race was nearly as aggressive. Very risky and easily could have flattened a fender or cut a tire on either car.

But its Montoya.

Trevor and I watched most on the race in Spanish. It seemed appropriate and I just couldn't listen to Rusty going on about how "crazy these cats were, tightening up their belts and climbing up on the wheel to chase mice and such"

Not to take anything away from Pruett and Montoya, but it seemed that Ganassi just brought better cars. Except for maybe Hamlin, no one really had anything for those cars all weekend.

jonovision_man
03-05-07, 03:01 PM
NASCAR is getting more international coverage from this one Busch race than it ever has for anything before it...

Monotoya-mania may not help U.S. ratings, but it's certainly raised NASCAR awareness abroad.

Front page of Autosport:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57058

Crash.net:
http://www.crash.net/news_View~cid~2~id~144064.htm

itv-f1.com: (only F1 news usually...)
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38566

etc etc etc... just about every international racing site has this story.

jono

JohnHKart
03-06-07, 04:08 AM

Yeah and why would Scott be mad when he was the doofus in that one, as somebody already said: 100percent at fault. I named him bonehead of the year back then. He's right to be mad this time

JH

JohnHKart
03-06-07, 04:10 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the race even if Montoya's bump on Scooter made me cringe. I don't think it was intentional in the least, but certainly overly optimistic. Actually I thought is pass of Pruett at the beginning of the race was nearly as aggressive. Very risky and easily could have flattened a fender or cut a tire on either car.

But its Montoya.

Trevor and I watched most on the race in Spanish. It seemed appropriate and I just couldn't listen to Rusty going on about how "crazy these cats were, tightening up their belts and climbing up on the wheel to chase mice and such"

Not to take anything away from Pruett and Montoya, but it seemed that Ganassi just brought better cars. Except for maybe Hamlin, no one really had anything for those cars all weekend.

Agreed. It's like 1999 all over again. I was crushed to see Juan bounce out of F1, but maybe this is going to be a good thing afterall and he can do more good in Nascar and for Nascar than have it be a bunch of white autorobots, I've got somebody to root for now (other than Mark Martin).

John

TKGAngel
03-06-07, 09:50 AM
Exactly . . .rubbin' is racin' and that is what draws the crowds. J. P. Montoya did what he needed to do to win.

Speaking of crowds, it looked a little sparse in Mexico City.

The grandstands on the interior portions of the course looked a little empty. Either that, or there were lots of people wearing gray sitting in those sections. I did notice during one of the crowd shots someone wearing an Indeck Forsythe shirt.

mapguy
03-06-07, 02:03 PM
Didn't Pruett punt someone off? So it's ok for him to do it but.....:rolleyes:

theunions
03-06-07, 02:09 PM
Didn't Pruett punt someone off? So it's ok for him to do it but.....:rolleyes:

That was Toyota Atlantic superstar Alex Garcia in his first ever stock car start...the replays showed them side by side as Alex started to lose it, so while Speed News implied otherwise, the video itself seems inconclusive.

coolhand
03-06-07, 03:14 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b34f63858e

NismoZ
03-06-07, 04:47 PM
I read 116,000 3-day, 72,000 Sunday gate, About the same as last year.

Linda
03-06-07, 07:51 PM
Scooter :flame: at Michigan race when him and Dale SR got together in IROC race, year don't remember for sure.

Hard Driver
03-06-07, 11:10 PM
Yea, it was a overly optimistic pass. However, in the racing is rubbing world, I think montoya just did what he did when he was willing to go tire to tire with Schumacher, he told everyone that he was not going to back down from anything. So maybe in the long run, when someone sees a big red "T" coming down the inside of them, then may hesitate on turning in. Or on the ovals, they may decide to pay him back, who knows.

mueber
03-07-07, 09:07 AM
I just couldn't listen to Rusty going on about how "crazy these cats were, tightening up their belts and climbing up on the wheel to chase mice and such"

Gawd, wasn't that awful? I turned the sound off--after the little nap I took during the first 35 laps.

If I liked NASCAR, I would avoid it in order to avoid the "color" men on television.

Andrew Longman
03-07-07, 10:23 AM
Scooter :flame: at Michigan race when him and Dale SR got together in IROC race, year don't remember for sure.

By NASCAR standards what JPM did was more or less fine. Certainly no worse than what Dale Sr did countless times. Only thing wrong on that score was that JPM didn't do it on purpose. Just making a name for himself and making Sportscenter highlights.

Not that I approve.

TKGAngel
03-08-07, 09:38 AM
Bumping this to say that ratings for this race were down 34% :eek: from last year's Mexico race. From Jayski...

ESPN2's broadcast of the Telcel-Motorola Mexico 200 Busch Series race garnered a Nielsen Media Research rating of 2.3 with 2,142,000 households watching, according to the network. ESPN's Spanish-language telecast showed a 0.2 rating with 196,000, boosting the total households watching to 2,337,000. But those numbers were down 34.3% over 2006's race, which was shown on the Fox network. Last year, the Fox broadcast had a 3.5 rating with 3,821,000 households.

Spicoli
03-08-07, 09:41 AM
^^^^

looks like he didn;t "Save the day" for neskaar.

http://i19.tinypic.com/2gshmpy.jpg

KLang
03-08-07, 10:31 AM
Bumping this to say that ratings for this race were down 34% :eek: from last year's Mexico race. From Jayski...

I'm sure that made the eskimo's day. :rolleyes:

Is that comparison even meaningful anyway? Going from a broadcast network to ESPN2.

jonovision_man
03-08-07, 10:44 AM
I'm sure that made the eskimo's day. :rolleyes:

Is that comparison even meaningful anyway? Going from a broadcast network to ESPN2.

That's a fantastic rating for ESPN2... people have to seek it out, and they did.

jono

Wheel-Nut
03-08-07, 11:13 AM
I thought I watched it on ESPN.

Turbodog
03-10-07, 10:36 PM

Last year it was on Fox(network tv) and this year it was on Espn2 in ingles and Espn in spanish, both cable. Also live on espn360 on the web.