PDA

View Full Version : Passport rules to be revised again....

devilmaster
02-22-07, 12:04 AM
This is for the people thinking of travelling with the kids to a race, so I suppose it fits here, if not please move it.

Anyways, we have all been talking about how everyone and their dog will need a passport for land crossings in the next couple years, right?

Apparently, they've changing the rules that aren't in affect yet - picked this wire tidbit on my local AM radio news website.

PASSPORT ANNOUNCEMENT 2007-02-21 22:22:38

Children under the age of 17 are going to be excused from having to show a passport at land border crossings beginning in 2009. U-S Homeland Security boss Michael Chertoff will make the announcment on Thursday in Detroit.

Let me reiterate that its for land crossings only.

SteveH
02-22-07, 12:07 AM
what if you have to cross a river? :gomer:

devilmaster
02-22-07, 12:45 AM
what if you have to cross a river? :gomer:

Well, you take the tiger and the child over first, then leave the child and bring the tiger back. Then you leave the tiger and etc.etc.etc. :)

chop456
02-22-07, 02:32 AM
Cool. You just saved me about $130. :D

cameraman
02-22-07, 02:49 AM
Just paid for the damn passport for the two year old a week ago.:rolleyes:

Truth is it is better to have one. My brother in law lives in Seattle and he has had ******* US Border gatekeepers given him a hard time because he does not have a passport for his two year old. He has passports for himself and his wife and all the required paperwork for his son but every third or fourth trip some border twit gets all in their face about him not having the passport the government does not require him to have:flame:

Audi_A4
02-22-07, 10:34 AM
I really dont understand the big deal about passports. If someone is travelling between 2 countries it simply makes sense to have a passport, end of story. IMHO passports should have been made mandatory years ago.

rosawendel
02-22-07, 10:37 AM
"aaw dude, it's okay, I'm totally like sixteen, man"

TKGAngel
02-22-07, 10:48 AM
I really dont understand the big deal about passports. If someone is travelling between 2 countries it simply makes sense to have a passport, end of story. IMHO passports should have been made mandatory years ago.

I think its more of a big deal in border cities, where there's a fair amount of cross-country traffic and commerce. People are fearful of the drop in business from those who are still waiting for their passports to come in. There's also the myth that having a passport will lead to backlogs at bridges and such.

skaven
02-22-07, 12:23 PM
As an aside, post 9/11 I was "training" in Detroit and my trainer took me to Windsor for the evening's activities.

Coming back into Detroit through the tunnel, border security wanted to see passports of which we had none. They were starting to give us a hard time and asked us where we were born. When I told the guard that I was born in Terre Haute, he laughed and said that his wife was from Terre Haute, that he has been there and that no one would ever lie about being from such a *****ole. He laughed and waived us on in. :laugh:

devilmaster
02-22-07, 12:28 PM
Follow up article in the local rag....

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=9a7a7776-9591-4bf0-abc1-fbb940f24247

Melisa Leclerc, Day's spokeswoman, said "children will be exempted from the U.S. WHTI requirement to carry a passport when travelling to the United States by land and sea."

The agreement means "children who are vacationing with their families or participating in sports activities will continue to be able to cross our shared border without a passport," said Leclerc, crediting Day will pressuring Homeland Security to relax the rules.

But the U.S. action was likely forced as much by Congress as by complaints from Canada. Under new legislation passed last year, U.S. lawmakers ordered the Bush administration to revise the WHTI to make allowances for children.

The legislation came amid concerns the passport rule would make it too expensive for many families to travel across the border, particularly school groups that make regular trips between both countries.

The Bush administration began implementing the WHTI passport requirements for all Canadian travellers entering the U.S. by air on Jan. 23. By law, the U.S. has until June 2009 to extend the requirement to all land and sea borders. But Chertoff has repeatedly said he wants the passport rule in effect at land borders by Jan. 1, 2008

devilmaster
02-22-07, 12:33 PM
As an aside, post 9/11 I was "training" in Detroit and my trainer took me to Windsor for the evening's activities.

and which ballet did you go see? ;)

I agree to an extent. But in border cities there used to be a simple convienience about travelling across the border. Hell, when the Ambassador bridge and det/win tunnel first opened up, there were no customs booths - you just went across and on with your business. If I fly to florida tomorrow, I still don't need a passport as I will cross the border by land then drive to Detroit Metro for my flight.

I'm not planning to do any overseas trips at the moment, so all I need the passport for is about a couple dozen Tiger games, some of my favorite restaurants, and a little shopping. I accept that, but the numbers that have just come out (day trippers from the states to windsor at an all time low in 2006) shows that many probably don't want the hassle anymore.

G.
02-22-07, 01:02 PM
I say we just annex Canada, except for the French parts, of course, and just rename it North South Dakota. :p What could go wrong?

Any other good names for the new States? Cantucky? Oregowannorthabit? North Detroit? <<< ow.

devilmaster
02-22-07, 01:23 PM
North Detroit? <<< ow.

Ummm. I'm south of Detroit. :p :D

G.
02-22-07, 02:03 PM
Ummm. I'm south of Detroit. :p :DEven more reason to annex!:thumbup:

TravelGal
02-22-07, 02:09 PM
I say we just annex Canada, except for the French parts, of course, and just rename it North South Dakota. :p What could go wrong?

Any other good names for the new States? Cantucky? Oregowannorthabit? North Detroit? <<< ow.

What could go wrong? You've ALREADY got it wrong. It's Norther North Dakota, eh?. Anyone can see that. ;)

Interesting that the "and sea" was added overnight as they switched from one talking head to another. In what I'm reading "details have yet to be worked out" which is like, duh, man, I get THAT part.

TKGAngel
02-22-07, 02:11 PM

NewYontario? ;)

emjaya
02-22-07, 04:45 PM
The United States of Canada. :)

(I read that somewhere)

RTKar
02-22-07, 09:06 PM
The United States of Canada. :)

(I read that somewhere)

...rather be the Province of America

OW
02-22-07, 09:09 PM
Well, you take the tiger and the child over first, then leave the child and bring the tiger back. Then you leave the tiger and etc.etc.etc. :)

Come on devil ... it depends on how much the Tiger weighs and how much the canoe can hold.

dando
02-22-07, 11:32 PM
Ummm. I'm south of Detroit. :p :D

Just goes to prove you really are a hillbilly then. :D :p

-Kevin

devilmaster
02-23-07, 12:54 AM
Just goes to prove you really are a hillbilly then. :D :p

-Kevin

And you're further south than us bumpkin. :p

Gnam
02-23-07, 04:36 AM
I know some countries like to hassle American tourists at customs, but Et tu Can-a-da?

story (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/23/NEVIUS.TMP)

Freakin' S.C.M.O.D.S. ;)

emjaya
02-23-07, 08:25 AM
I know some countries like to hassle American tourists at customs, but Et tu Can-a-da?

story (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/23/NEVIUS.TMP)

Freakin' S.C.M.O.D.S. ;)

America has been doing the same thing for years, I believe.One dope possession charge in OZ, no visa to the US of A, no matter how small or how long ago. :\

TorontoWorker
02-23-07, 12:22 PM
People don't forget when they were arrested... You may *think* it's minor - but PC's don't care and don't have a heart. It is what it is - a conviction.

You can gain entry to Canada with minor convictions - you just have to ASK in advance and wait for the paperwork to come in the mail. But of course most people are lazy and yes - wrapped up in their own self belief that they did nothing wrong - such as the kid stealing from a store in college as a "prank". Thats NOT a prank. A prank is putting a wooopie cushion under someone before they sit down.

FYI: An impaired conviction (DUI to Americans) is part of the the Criminal Code of CANADA, (section 253) and is prosecuted locally by provinical courts where the crime occurs - but this is done on behalf of the Government of Canada. Upon conviction of driving over .080, you cannot drive anywhere in Canada OR any other country until such time as the driving ban has been served, usually a 1 year ban but can be up to a 3 year ban possible plus fines on first offence. Second offence: jail for 30 days and 2 to 6 year driving ban. 3rd conviction: Life time ban possible! Drugs have now been included in new laws under Bill C-32 (Nov 06) that have the same affect as if you were convicted of DWI. The idea developed by the Bush admin that Canada is "soft" on drugs is not factual.

There IS a forgiveness clause so to speak - but part one of this is to acknoldge past wrong doing - long ahead of entry. Part two is the Canadian Immigration Service accepting and approving your application, (which is not automatic). I've never heard of anyone turned down, (upon written request) for entry on a single marijuana or single DWI occuring more then 10 years in the past. Note the "single" and "10 years". It gets trickier the more minor charges or how many years have past upon conviction. It becomes a judgement call. Remember, what you did in the 60's is now subjected to the new realities of political correctness of our new millennium. It sucks sometimes - but thats the way it is.

Convictions with violence almost always gets turned town upon first applications. Appeals are sent to the Minister who *may* grant a "Ministers Permit". I can almost guarantee that a conviction of spousal assault will never receive permit. There was a "rock star" that was turned down for entry a little while ago and his tour cancelled because of "poor sales". That *wasn't* the real reason posted in the press... Same for a Rap group who had two members convicted of gun crimes.

dando
02-23-07, 12:52 PM

Nah, I live on the north side of a major city. Thus, I don't qualify. :gomer:

-Kevin

TravelGal
02-23-07, 02:05 PM
Good post Toronto Worker. Most people don't realize that these things will also stop their renting a Hertz car in Europe, for example.

From today's E-News

Its now official. The Department of Homeland Security announced yesterday that US and Canadian children will not need passports to come into the country by land or sea, just air. The new rules, which could go into effect by next January, would have required all persons to have a passport but the government reversed that ruling to exempt children. Now US or Canadian children 15 years or younger who have parental consent will be able to enter the US with just a birth certificate. Children ages 16 to 18 will be allowed to cross with birth certificates if they are part of an adult-supervised school, religious, cultural or athletic group. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO TRAVEL BY AIR. The DHS is working on other modifications to the rules including a high-tech border-crossing card that would be less expensive and easier to obtain than a passport but be called a passport card.

race chica
02-24-07, 11:53 PM
Northern Puerto Rico or East Alaska

EDwardo
02-25-07, 12:16 AM
Newer Jersey

North Virginia

Wynotoming

Coldorado

devilmaster
02-25-07, 07:48 AM
Should I remind everyone why the White house is well, white? ;) :D

jonovision_man
02-25-07, 08:56 AM
Should I remind everyone why the White house is well, white? ;)

Shhh... don't remind them... ;) :D

I remember I was on a tour of parliament in Ottawa, and on one wall they had a list of Canadian war victories. One was the War of 1812. This Texas-sounding gentlement was very perturbed, and insisted that America had never lost a war. :D

jono

nrc
02-25-07, 02:55 PM
Sounds like Canadian content laws have screwed up your history books. ;)

EDwardo
02-25-07, 03:08 PM

I remember I was on a tour of parliament in Ottawa, and on one wall they had a list of Canadian war victories. One was the War of 1812. This Texas-sounding gentlement was very perturbed, and insisted that America had never lost a war. :D

jono

Isn't part of Canada still occupied by the French?
:laugh:

cart7
02-25-07, 10:31 PM
So I can scrounge up a 10 year old and strap the shoulder rocket launcher under his jacket and I'll be OK then?

ChampcarShark
02-26-07, 12:10 PM
Come on devil ... it depends on how much the Tiger weighs and how much the canoe can hold.

If you are crossing the river in West Texas, you have to be very strong to carry the canoe; cause our Rio Bravo, (as is called) actually has no running water. Most river water is diverted to water the cotton fields and runs thru channels in the city.

My advice, get a tiger cub.

Ankf00
06-08-07, 03:49 PM
http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4872401.html

WASHINGTON — The Bush administration today suspended some of its new, post-Sept. 11 requirements for traveling abroad, hoping to placate Congress and irate summer travelers whose vacations have been thwarted by delays in processing their passports.

The proposal temporarily lifts a requirement that U.S. passports be used for citizens flying to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

The suspension should allow the State Department to catch up with a massive surge in applications that has overwhelmed passport processing centers since the rule took effect this year. The resulting backlog has caused up to three-month delays for passports and ruined or delayed the travel plans of thousands of Americans.

Until the end of September, travelers will be allowed to fly without a passport if they present a State Department receipt, showing they had applied for a passport, and government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.

Those without passports would receive additional security scrutiny, which could include extra questioning or bag checks.

Shadow
06-08-07, 04:37 PM

Are you in Windsor or Windsor area. Sunday is a *&^(*&^)*&ed up day for me for the races as we will be viewing 4 properties in Amherstburg with the intention of moving there.

Speaking of border crossing headaches, we took our motorhome to Waterford Hills last week to watch my son race (he lives in Windsor - well LaSalle actually) and it took us over an hour to cross at Sarnia. They went into every vehicle in front of us. For some reason they didn't come in our MH but they did go through a trailer about 10 vehicles in front of us very thoroughly. Maybe it was our Cdn passports and US Social Security Cards that did the trick. I sensed it was a yellow alert related to the threat on at the airport in New York.

When my son crossed with his Haulmark trailer last Friday the Bridge was backed up a long way and he headed for the tunnel - which was as bad (he crosses daily since he works in Detroit (well, Livonia). Thank goodness the crossing at Sarnia took 5 minutes on the way home. When you have a 7 to 8 mpg motorhome you don't like to site inching for an hour+.:cry:

Shadow
06-08-07, 04:40 PM
Isn't part of Canada still occupied by the French?
:laugh:

Kind of like Louisiana - but here we gave them the vote. :D

Shadow
06-08-07, 04:52 PM
DM, I've been wondering about getting a Nexus pass since it appears the express lane will handle motorhomes. While we were lined up for the hour getting through Port Huron, Nexus carded drivers were zipping right over. They claim it is much better than a passport. Since we got back and forth to Florida (3 times this past winter) I'm beginning to think it could be worth the $80 x 3 (3 of us in the MH).

Since our friends south of the border always blame us for the rotten cold weather they get, did you get the storm they shipped north today. It hit here with a wallop - lots of lightening and thunder and our pool level is steadily moving up as the rain continues for come down in buckets. We are also under a tornado alert now.

devilmaster
06-08-07, 05:13 PM
DM, I've been wondering about getting a Nexus pass since it appears the express lane will handle motorhomes. While we were lined up for the hour getting through Port Huron, Nexus carded drivers were zipping right over. They claim it is much better than a passport. Since we got back and forth to Florida (3 times this past winter) I'm beginning to think it could be worth the $80 x 3 (3 of us in the MH).

Since our friends south of the border always blame us for the rotten cold weather they get, did you get the storm they shipped north today. It hit here with a wallop - lots of lightening and thunder and our pool level is steadily moving up as the rain continues for come down in buckets. We are also under a tornado alert now.

The only reason I didn't get nexus myself is that I go over with different people all the time - and you can only use nexus if everyone in the vehicle has been documented for it.

I go over with a group to Tiger games. I go over with different people to shop. And different people to go to restaurants and brewpubs. I suppose if you never have anyone other than your 3 in the motorhome, that'll work but the cost/value question comes into mind. Only 3 times over the winter, really worth 240 bucks?

I think its really only best for someone like my buddy kev who works over there.

Shadow
06-08-07, 05:26 PM
The only reason I didn't get nexus myself is that I go over with different people all the time - and you can only use nexus if everyone in the vehicle has been documented for it.

I go over with a group to Tiger games. I go over with different people to shop. And different people to go to restaurants and brewpubs. I suppose if you never have anyone other than your 3 in the motorhome, that'll work but the cost/value question comes into mind. Only 3 times over the winter, really worth 240 bucks?

I think its really only best for someone like my buddy kev who works over there.

Three times over the winter and probably 5 or 6 during the summer to Waterford - and even more if we relocate to A-burg.

Kind of disappointed in Cogeco cable coverage in A-burg. I have no desire to return to Expressvu but it looks like we may not have much choice. The one area that surprised me was Pointe West - no cable. We had Rogers and Expressvu (got it for the MH) but finally dropped it when Bell said - the minute you leave your property with the MH you must call us and we will turn off the 2 boxes left in your home. AND, if you set foot in the US call us since we have to turn it right off. What BS. If we have to go back to a dish this time it will likely be Star Choice (or we will get one of the two US systems in FLA and just use up here in the summer.

cameraman
06-08-07, 05:31 PM
The resulting backlog has caused up to three-month delays for passports and ruined or delayed the travel plans of thousands of Americans. Only three months would have been nice, we sent in our renewals/applications on January 2, we got our passports last week. Luckily we won't need them until August but still...
:shakehead

Shadow
06-08-07, 06:10 PM
Only three months would have been nice, we sent in our renewals/applications on January 2, we got our passports last week. Luckily we won't need them until August but still...
:shakehead

Wow, no wonder they put in the extension. We've got to renew ours shortly and hopefully we can get it all done between Waterford races which are a month apart.

Shadow
06-09-07, 12:44 AM
Well, wouldn't you believe it. Cdn Gov't announced changes to passport applications today due to a huge backlog. The form will be simpler and a guarantor will no longer be required effective August 15.

jonovision_man
06-09-07, 07:29 AM
Well, wouldn't you believe it. Cdn Gov't announced changes to passport applications today due to a huge backlog. The form will be simpler and a guarantor will no longer be required effective August 15.

So let me get this straight... they force people to use passports to go between the U.S. and Canada for "security", which creates long lines for passports, so they make the application process less secure?? :confused:

Kind of defeats the purpose. :p

jono

Shadow
06-09-07, 07:43 AM
So let me get this straight... they force people to use passports to go between the U.S. and Canada for "security", which creates long lines for passports, so they make the application process less secure?? :confused:

Kind of defeats the purpose. :p

jono

YEP.

The sooner we get to finger print readers or retina scanners the better.

Sean O'Gorman
06-09-07, 09:23 AM
I don't know about that. The price of a finger on the black market will triple.

Shadow
06-09-07, 01:04 PM
A key change is for renewals - no longer have to have a guarantor and proof of citizenship. Damned if I know why they are waiting until Aug 15 for this provision thought.

First timers have to provide proof still but the guarantor can be anyone else who has a valid passport.

oddlycalm
06-09-07, 04:33 PM
in border cities there used to be a simple convenience about travelling across the border. Hell, when the Ambassador bridge and det/win tunnel first opened up, there were no customs booths - you just went across and on with your business. All true. The only time I ever carried a passport to Windsor was when I used to take advantage of the great Air Canada prices to Europe back in the 70's. No idea how many crossings, but in the hundreds certainly.

Your comment about the ballet was also on the money because it reflects not only what you expect but what the customs and immigration people at the border expect. If you want to save a lot of time, dialogue and a possible search of the car hen going to Canada on business just tell them you're going to the ballet rather than saying you are there on business. Same thing returning to the US. Some of my trips lasted more than a week, during which time I never set foot in a club, but I was always waived through with a knowing smile when crossing in either direction.

oc

JT265
06-09-07, 06:22 PM

jono

Hmm. And I don't speak American.

Should you happen to run into the perturbed gentleman again, ask him how victory over Viet Nam felt. :laugh:

devilmaster
06-09-07, 09:14 PM
Hmm. And I don't speak American.

Should you happen to run into the perturbed gentleman again, ask him how victory over Viet Nam felt. :laugh:

Here's a blast from the past.... :) how ya been JT?

JT265
06-09-07, 09:34 PM
Here's a blast from the past.... :) how ya been JT?

Well, I'm outta rehab, and working on losing the ankle bracelet. You? :laugh:

jonovision_man
06-20-07, 06:20 PM
Yet another change/delay... just a textbook case of inefficient ridiculous government bureaucracy.

http://canadaeast.com/ce2/docroot/article.php?articleID=15863

Canadians and Americans entering the United States by car or boat won't need a passport until at least the summer of 2008, security officials said Wednesday, a reprieve critics deemed far too short.

With both sides of the border buried under an avalanche of passport applications, driver's licences and birth certificates will suffice for several months starting next Jan. 31.

jono