PDA

View Full Version : Why do you watch?

Racing Truth
02-20-07, 08:56 PM
I'm wondering about something. What is CC's raison d'etre? What is its purpose, its identity? I don't think there is much of an answer to that, so I wondered why we (still?) watch?

PUBLIC POLL

emjaya
02-20-07, 09:54 PM
I truly enjoy it and believe in the future of the series, but H=ll, I'd watch lawnmower racing.

How the f*** do I know? I just do.:D

OW
02-20-07, 10:19 PM
Born and raised on it?

RTKar
02-20-07, 10:43 PM
/\

Yup, born and raised on it but my interest is a fraction of what it once was

...and it is a ruderless ship

jonovision_man
02-20-07, 10:58 PM
"I truly enjoy it but furrow my brow when I think of the future of the series".

jono

race chica
02-20-07, 11:28 PM
Born and raised on it?

same hear-- Transgenerational traits :)

nz_climber
02-20-07, 11:29 PM
you didn't leave an option for those of us that can't even watch!!

devilmaster
02-20-07, 11:30 PM
you didn't leave an option for those of us that can't even watch!!

well, we thought about an option for you, but we just didn't care bout ya aaron ;)

nrc
02-21-07, 01:00 AM
Hmm. No option for enjoy it, but no idea what they're thinking these days.

G.
02-21-07, 02:00 AM
I truely enjoy it, and I believe that there is a future for it. Not sure if it's a GOOD future or BAD.

tantra
02-21-07, 03:22 AM
Raised on it .... when the title sponsor was AAA.
Started in 1952 at age 10. (Blame that all on my big brother.)
I also still smoke .... and drink beer.
See you at the races. :)

KLang
02-21-07, 07:47 AM
I enjoy it, although somewhat less then before FTG crapped all over everything. The future? No idea. After all these years I find it hard to get too worked up worrying about the future.

Rogue Leader
02-21-07, 08:48 AM
Considering whats gone on these past few years I ask myself this very question many times...

I haven't come up with a good answer yet, so I'll just keep watching...

astinus4
02-21-07, 09:12 AM
I truly enjoy it....but DO NOT believe in the future of the series. I just want to enjoy what we have while it's still afloat. :(

Insomniac
02-21-07, 09:16 AM
Grew up watching it, not sure how much I like it now. CC takes a back seat to the NFL now. I'm not a big racing guy, I only watch F1 and CC all season long. I don't flip on SPEED to see what's on. I might watch a piece of an IRL race so I don't feel like a total fake when I rip on them. Otherwise, even thoiugh I have a DVR, I don't record them. So...I picked HTF do I know. I know, but the others didn't fit.

Sean O'Gorman
02-21-07, 10:13 AM
I barely pay attention anymore. The fact that the series doesn't care about the fans has pretty much turned me off and helped me find better things to do with my income.

Warlock!
02-21-07, 10:55 AM
I barely watch the races anymore... it just makes for nice background music when partying with friends at the track.

That said, the IRL will always be of even less interest.

rabbit
02-21-07, 11:01 AM
I gotta admit, and maybe it's just the offseason talking, but right now Montoya in NASCAR piques my interest more than what might happen in the Champ Car season. (The IRL isn't even on the radar.) There just isn't a whole lot to get excited about anymore.

Andrew Longman
02-21-07, 11:17 AM
I grew up on them. Now it is my own quirky thing to do. I love the sound and look. I don't care who's driving them, seeing them at speed and under braking is still a thrill. I'll do it until I can't anymore.

So shoot me.:gomer:

Insomniac
02-21-07, 11:56 AM
I gotta admit, and maybe it's just the offseason talking, but right now Montoya in NASCAR piques my interest more than what might happen in the Champ Car season. (The IRL isn't even on the radar.) There just isn't a whole lot to get excited about anymore.

It also has me interested, but not enough to actually watch a race. Just enough to look up where he starts and where he finished.

I agree, I was quite excited about 07 and the DP01, but CC set my expectations high (new teams, 20-22 cars) and now I'm just disappointed and left feeling it's the same old story. I hope it changes when they start racing.

Chiphead_Dave
02-21-07, 12:28 PM
This year it is starting to look like I won't....much anyway.

Every year for the last 10 years I have had a culmination of
the excitement in attending a race.

Now with Laguna Seca long gone and Denver newly gone I won't
be seeing one.

I just can't bring myself to go to San Jose.

I just can't seem to get fired up about it if I can't see a race live.

I mean crap I bought a lens for my camera specifically for races.

Ozarkian
02-21-07, 01:57 PM
Enjoy watching the races at the old CART courses (LB, RA, Cleveland), and the sights and sounds evoke good memories of better times.

Otherwise, F1 has my interest.

dando
02-21-07, 02:01 PM
I. Just. Like. To. Watch. :D

Oh wait, you meant CC... ;)

I suppose growing up watching Indy and then the local teams w/Tasman and Rawhore kept the fire burning. It's been tough the past couple of years, tho. Passion just isn't the same +10 years after the split. :(

-Kevin

Racing Truth
02-21-07, 08:42 PM
I could have come up with more or, IMHO, better options. I apologize for not doing so, as I see, and suspected, that many could fit into a combo of categories.

Still, at this point, a majority (54%) have voted for the most upbeat option, although some of those have expressed reservations in the thread.

Me, I'm mixed. I still watch it regularly, with some passion, but nowhere near where it was years ago. And many days, I wonder why I bother with the sport at all.

RHR_Fan
02-21-07, 10:13 PM
I could have come up with more or, IMHO, better options. I apologize for not doing so, as I see, and suspected, that many could fit into a combo of categories.

Still, at this point, a majority (54%) have voted for the most upbeat option, although some of those have expressed reservations in the thread.

Me, I'm mixed. I still watch it regularly, with some passion, but nowhere near where it was years ago. And many days, I wonder why I bother with the sport at all.

Then start a new poll! :D

I was torn between #1 and #2. I originally voted #2, but now I'm thinking it's more #1.

~Nicole

DagoFast
02-21-07, 10:47 PM
Up until this off season, I always refused to give up on ChampCar. Ironically, even with the much vaunted DP01, I can't work up much interest for this season. The racing the last few years hasnt sucked on an IRL or napcar level, but I really, really miss the innovations and pushing the envelope like the old days. And dammit, I sure do miss ovals.

It's the rudderless ship that has really caused me to tune out. For a company that's based on "entertainment" they are doing a really lousy job of keeping me entertained.

At least F1 still has some high tech, but it's been sorta boring.

MotoGP has been floating my boat and keeping the passion alive. Best racing on the planet right now. Period.

cameraman
02-22-07, 03:05 AM
I like the racing but I don't have much faith in the future of the series.

I will also watch GP2, F1, MotoGP and the Louis Vuitton & America's Cup (assuming somebody in the US televises it, VS does not seem that interested)

Maybe ALMS too, depends on who shows up.

oddlycalm
02-22-07, 04:21 AM
I truely enjoy it, and I believe that there is a future for it. Not sure if it's a GOOD future or BAD. Not a big surprise to me that we're on the same page on this G. They seemed to have a good plan out of the box, they bought Long Beach and Cosworth then reinvented Atlantics and delivered on the promise of a new car, but.....

oc

mueber
02-22-07, 08:53 AM
If you are asking me if it is worth my time right now, the answer is, “no, it’s a glorified form of club racing.” I watch it because it is the only hope for the future of American open wheel racing, and I want to further that process. But I share the concerns of those who wonder where it is going and how it is going to get there.

jonovision_man
02-22-07, 03:00 PM
If you are asking me if it is worth my time right now, the answer is, “no, it’s a glorified form of club racing.” I watch it because it is the only hope for the future of American open wheel racing, and I want to further that process. But I share the concerns of those who wonder where it is going and how it is going to get there.

You brought up a couple of issues...

What would make it different from "club racing", in your opinion? Is this about the "spec" nature of the series? I don't see how we get out of that particular rut, and current ownership seems committed to that model.

The other thing - "only hope" for US OW. There's always the IRL... I know what people think of it (and what people think of TG) but I'm simply pointing out that it exists and US OW will continue with or without ChampCar. I know people here don't like it in its current form or with its current owner, I don't really want to get into that again...

jono

Wabbit
02-22-07, 04:29 PM
I used to enjoy watching when there was more stability. For 15 years, I liked watching my favorites, and the up and comers which then became some of my favorites. Now, with all the ride buyers, you don't even know if the people in the cars this week will be there next week.

I think I watched part of 3 or 4 races last year. This year I don't know if I will go out of my way to watch any of them, but if I notice while channel surfing I might stop for awhile if just to see how long some of the parades keep my attention.

If there were more driver and team stability, and a chance for drivers to become stars rather then ride buyers and F1/NASCAR wannabes, they might get my attention back. Until then, when does camping season start again?

mueber
02-22-07, 06:18 PM

What would make it different from "club racing", in your opinion? Is this about the "spec" nature of the series? I don't see how we get out of that particular rut, and current ownership seems committed to that model.

The other thing - "only hope" for US OW. There's always the IRL... I know what people think of it (and what people think of TG) but I'm simply pointing out that it exists and US OW will continue with or without ChampCar. I know people here don't like it in its current form or with its current owner, I don't really want to get into that again...

jono
Ride buying that is not only tantamount to daddy buying you a racecar, but is, in the case of Nelson Whatshisname, daddy buying you a racecar is club racing. As for Tony George, he's proven over and over again that he can't run a successful series, and I don't want to get into that again either.

I watch every Champ Car race on TV and attend two a year. I do it not because I think it is great, but because I hope it will become great, and when it does, I expect free tickets for the rest of my life for sitting through forests of glorified amateurs for the last six or seven years.

Gnam
02-22-07, 07:08 PM
I watch Champ Car because it makes me jump out of my chair and yell at the tV. When it stops doing that, I'll stop watching.

jonovision_man
02-22-07, 07:12 PM
Ride buying that is not only tantamount to daddy buying you a racecar, but is, in the case of Nelson Whatshisname, daddy buying you a racecar is club racing.

Ah, OK. That could change, but we need to see sponsors who pay the full shot so a driver can be hired on talent rather than having to bring a cheque... won't happen soon.

jono

Sean Malone
02-22-07, 07:52 PM
The thread starter needs to learn how to ask better questions.

To spite TG, the one who ruined a good thing
How the f*** do I know? I just do.
H=ll, I'd watch lawnmower racing. Doesn't mean I really like it.
I hardly watch an increasingly rudderless ship.

Hardly worth responding to. Now if there had been options that refer to the cars, i.e. aesthetics, technology, difficulty to drive, or race tracks i.e. Road America, Long Beach etc, or even the drivers such as Bourdais and Tracy. What about an option that refers to the history of Champ Car or the series international flavor? Then I may have bothered to click a choice.

I guess that's how they do it at TF.

Ziggy
02-22-07, 09:17 PM
I no longer plan my weekends around their races. Most I dont even tape. Starting last season, as I have had it with the really crummy television production. Derrick Daly is a stone cold retard, and along with the other guy, know about as much as my three cats combined.

"listen to the impact", "Looky dar", " a concertina", "the black round things are tires", " a great effort" (for tenth, out of sixteen cars WTF?) That amazin' side show of how many laps can they go in the Champion Economist 200???? or the assine time slots and timed races.

These guys could not find their johnsons in a mens room. That goes double for this boob Steve Johnson who is so far up the SCCA's ass you would need a jibcrane to remove it. Why emulate the SCCA? Have they not killed every freakin' series they ever controlled?

I will be attending three races on the Champcar Funeral Tour, 2007 :flame:

OW
02-22-07, 09:25 PM
Combined

as of George Washingtons birthday..(2007) ...

72% watch cause they do
19% falling away

astinus4
02-23-07, 08:01 AM

Hardly worth responding to. Now if there had been options that refer to the cars, i.e. aesthetics, technology, difficulty to drive, or race tracks i.e. Road America, Long Beach etc, or even the drivers such as Bourdais and Tracy. What about an option that refers to the history of Champ Car or the series international flavor? Then I may have bothered to click a choice.

Well said Sean :thumbup:

I also don't understand people who complain about losing interest in the series, but then admit they only watch a fraction of the races anyway. :confused: The racing was pretty damn good last year. Just seems to me alot of old timers are losing interest and not bothering because their old favourites aren't around anymore.

rabbit
02-23-07, 09:46 AM
I also don't understand people who complain about losing interest in the series, but then admit they only watch a fraction of the races anyway. :confused: The racing was pretty damn good last year. Just seems to me alot of old timers are losing interest and not bothering because their old favourites aren't around anymore.Understand this: the people who only watch a fraction of the races used to watch all of them. Years ago I used to record the races and watch them over and over again. I still have boxes full of old tapes that I don't have the heart to throw out. I'm losing interest because all of the things that attracted me to the sport are one-by-one disappearing.

First was the Indy 500. It was the first race I ever saw on TV and I instantly fell in love with the speed and the sounds. When TG threw his tantrum I stuck with "CART," confident that eventually cooler heads would prevail and the IRL would become a blip on the historical radar.

The first race I ever saw in person was the 1995 Michigan 500. I loved it so much that I went back the following May for the U.S. 500. I enjoyed the road courses and street circuits, but to me superspeedways defined Champ Cars. There was nothing else like it in the world. I was ready to come back to MIS every May and completely write off Indy. But sadly, the race was never run again. I still came back in July every year until they finally pulled the plug.

I used to go to Detroit and Mid-Ohio as well. But every year it seemed as though there was one less race for me to go to.

There were several reasons why I chose to support CART when the split happened. It’s hard to say which was most important to me. It was the best drivers on the best teams competing. The cars were amazing technological specimens. The competition between chassis, engine, and tire manufacturers was fascinating. We’re talking 26-28 cars with four or five different combinations. Teams experimented with different combinations every year. Even from race-to-race there was the question of which combination would be the one to beat.

You talk about “old timers” losing interest because their “favourites” are gone. I’m 33, so I’m not sure I qualify as an old timer. (I hope not anyway.) But it’s not about favorites being gone. I watched favorites go and replaced them with new favorites. When Mario Andretti retired, I hitched my wagon to Jacques Villeneuve. When he went to F1, I became a Michael fan. When he sold his soul, Patrick Carpentier was my guy. Then when he sold his soul, I started pulling for Justin Wilson. But beyond my “No. 1” driver, there was always a wide selection of amazing talent that captivated me – Mears, Rahal, Moore, Zanardi, de Ferran and more. It used to be that when they talked about “F1 refugees” coming to America, it was names like Fittipaldi and Mansell. They raced every week and came back the next year. As I got to know their stories I either rooted for or against them. Sure there were some ride buyers. But they were the exception, not the rule.

I used to stand on my soap box and proclaim CART’s greatness because it was the fastest series in the world. It has great drivers and it required those drivers to be versatile, dumping them on a short oval one week, a superspeedway the next, then a natural terrain road course, an airport, and then a street course.

What do we have nowadays? We have a bunch of no-name ride buyers driving spec chassis, with spec engines owned by the series, strictly on street/road courses in frickin’ China. As much as it pains me to say it, it is a shell of its former self. I feel I have earned the right to bitch about where the series is headed. I supported it when the split happened. I supported it when the top teams defected. I sat around my computer waiting to hear the news when the bankruptcy judge in Indy made his decision. I defended the series and the new owners as they tried to rebuild it. I accepted all of the short-comings because the promise of a new day, the promise of more cars, more manufacturer involvement, more sponsors, and more stability was right around the corner.

2007 was supposed to be the turning point when Champ Car made its statement that it was here to stay. So far I have not seen a single shred of evidence to support that. In fact, I have seen the opposite. Forsythe has pulled back to one car, Only one new team has come on board. Ford bailed. Only 15 cars showed up at Sebring and drivers played musical chairs, jumping from seat to seat the whole time. And only two of those cars had a legitimate cash-paying sponsor on them.

Virtually every reason I became a Champ Car fan is now gone. So forgive for feeling let down.

Sean Malone
02-23-07, 11:11 AM
Understand this: the people who only watch a fraction of the races used to watch all of them. Years ago I used to record the races and watch them over and over again. I still have boxes full of old tapes that I don't have the heart to throw out. I'm losing interest because all of the things that attracted me to the sport are one-by-one disappearing.

First was the Indy 500. It was the first race I ever saw on TV and I instantly fell in love with the speed and the sounds. When TG threw his tantrum I stuck with "CART," confident that eventually cooler heads would prevail and the IRL would become a blip on the historical radar.

The first race I ever saw in person was the 1995 Michigan 500. I loved it so much that I went back the following May for the U.S. 500. I enjoyed the road courses and street circuits, but to me superspeedways defined Champ Cars. There was nothing else like it in the world. I was ready to come back to MIS every May and completely write off Indy. But sadly, the race was never run again. I still came back in July every year until they finally pulled the plug.

I used to go to Detroit and Mid-Ohio as well. But every year it seemed as though there was one less race for me to go to.

There were several reasons why I chose to support CART when the split happened. It’s hard to say which was most important to me. It was the best drivers on the best teams competing. The cars were amazing technological specimens. The competition between chassis, engine, and tire manufacturers was fascinating. We’re talking 26-28 cars with four or five different combinations. Teams experimented with different combinations every year. Even from race-to-race there was the question of which combination would be the one to beat.

You talk about “old timers” losing interest because their “favourites” are gone. I’m 33, so I’m not sure I qualify as an old timer. (I hope not anyway.) But it’s not about favorites being gone. I watched favorites go and replaced them with new favorites. When Mario Andretti retired, I hitched my wagon to Jacques Villeneuve. When he went to F1, I became a Michael fan. When he sold his soul, Patrick Carpentier was my guy. Then when he sold his soul, I started pulling for Justin Wilson. But beyond my “No. 1” driver, there was always a wide selection of amazing talent that captivated me – Mears, Rahal, Moore, Zanardi, de Ferran and more. It used to be that when they talked about “F1 refugees” coming to America, it was names like Fittipaldi and Mansell. They raced every week and came back the next year. As I got to know their stories I either rooted for or against them. Sure there were some ride buyers. But they were the exception, not the rule.

I used to stand on my soap box and proclaim CART’s greatness because it was the fastest series in the world. It has great drivers and it required those drivers to be versatile, dumping them on a short oval one week, a superspeedway the next, then a natural terrain road course, an airport, and then a street course.

What do we have nowadays? We have a bunch of no-name ride buyers driving spec chassis, with spec engines owned by the series, strictly on street/road courses in frickin’ China. As much as it pains me to say it, it is a shell of its former self. I feel I have earned the right to bitch about where the series is headed. I supported it when the split happened. I supported it when the top teams defected. I sat around my computer waiting to hear the news when the bankruptcy judge in Indy made his decision. I defended the series and the new owners as they tried to rebuild it. I accepted all of the short-comings because the promise of a new day, the promise of more cars, more manufacturer involvement, more sponsors, and more stability was right around the corner.

2007 was supposed to be the turning point when Champ Car made its statement that it was here to stay. So far I have not seen a single shred of evidence to support that. In fact, I have seen the opposite. Forsythe has pulled back to one car, Only one new team has come on board. Ford bailed. Only 15 cars showed up at Sebring and drivers played musical chairs, jumping from seat to seat the whole time. And only two of those cars had a legitimate cash-paying sponsor on them.

Virtually every reason I became a Champ Car fan is now gone. So forgive for feeling let down.

The question was "why do we watch?", not "why do we not watch"? If it had been I would have expected options that include your issues.

DagoFast
02-23-07, 11:15 AM
:thumbup: Take a bow Rabbit. :thumbup:

Wabbit
02-23-07, 11:34 AM
Well said Sean :thumbup:

I also don't understand people who complain about losing interest in the series, but then admit they only watch a fraction of the races anyway. :confused: The racing was pretty damn good last year. Just seems to me alot of old timers are losing interest and not bothering because their old favourites aren't around anymore.

You're right, my old favorites aren't around anymore. Unfortunately, when I get interested in new drivers, they aren't around anymore either. They end up losing their rides because they don't have sponsors, and the next guy has a check.

What drivers have truly been stable the last 3 years. Bourdais, Tracy, Junqueria. Even Junky may not have a ride this year. Who has been with the same team for the last 3 years running besides these three guys? Unfortunately, the newer smaller teams are just now starting to get some consistancy, but how much is that really going to help. Next year, they'll end up with new drivers/buyers. And we're back in the cycle of hoping that one of the ridebuyers has a hint of talent to keep going.

Love them or hate them, you have to admit that teams like Penske, Ganassi, Newman/Haas, Player's, and Green (mostly) kept drivers for more than one season. It gave you time to identify with a driver and sponsor. That's all gone.

Even in the IRL, the bigger teams have kept their drivers for longer periods of time, or the drivers have stayed in the series. Yes, they have ride buyers too, but their drivers seem to stay in the series longer, and the IRL does promote their drivers a lot more.

I used to watch and/or tape most of the races. As I stated before, I lost interest because nobody stayed around long enough to get interested in.

dando
02-23-07, 01:03 PM
Nice post, rabbit. :thumbup: I've managed to hang on despite driver changes, team changes, mfg changes, venue changes, etc., etc, etc. But it feels like I'm getting kicked in the nuts everytime I find a reason to remain interested in the series....even my hatred for FTG and everything he represents isn't really enough anymore.

Sean, I see your point, but it's easier for many of us to find a reason the glass is half full these days. The main reasons I've watched over the years is the speed, the technology, the skill, and the diverse venues. However, the TV has been unwatachable the last few years, venues are moving further away, and frankly the racing hasn't been that compelling the last couple of seasons. Just my $.02. Nice to see a fresh 'face' around here, BTW.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
02-23-07, 01:17 PM
I'm with you Rabbitt, but on the third weekend in June, I still doubt I'll find anything more fun to do than sit in the stands of Cleveland Lakefront Airport. The same could be said about most other Champcar weekend.

But that may just be evidence of my small, boring life and narrow interests.:gomer:

oddlycalm
02-23-07, 03:49 PM
What would make it different from "club racing", in your opinion? Is this about the "spec" nature of the series? In a word, sponsorship. Without sponsorship you have wealthy hobbyists and ride buying wankers. If you want drivers that people actually care about it's going to take money. Forsythe was frustrated and angry that AJA left for NASCAR, and so were a lot of people, but the fact is that he simply got outbid so we won't get to see Graham Rahal and AJA racing each other.

The equipment is just fine. The DP01 is a real race car and the turbo Cosworth is well loved and sounds great as well. Yeah, it's a spec car and spec engine but I'll take that any day over most of the equipment that has been fielded lately. Whether it's crapwagons or the 1960's world of grand sham with it's tube frame mouse motor mediocrity, Champcar doesn't suffer in comparison. They have also got their costs under control, but none of it matters without sponsors.

oc

Insomniac
02-23-07, 04:04 PM
In a word, sponsorship. Without sponsorship you have wealthy hobbyists and ride buying wankers.

I fear the only solution is people on both sides sucking it up and doing what's best for the sport and merging. Otherwise, it's going to be rich people playing with toys until they get bored.

skaven
02-23-07, 04:15 PM
Great post rabbit.

I still watch because CART was, for me, the best series in the world in the 80's and 90's and delivered a great product.

I still watch because, by supporting it now, I hope to help them return to being a quality product.

I realize the odds are long and getting longer each season, but it doesn't cost me much in time or money ($4.95/ mo for RD) and... hell... I still enjoy the races even though with the smaller grids, it's a shadow of its former self.

rabbit
02-23-07, 04:30 PM
The question was "why do we watch?", not "why do we not watch"? If it had been I would have expected options that include your issues.

That's why I voted for "How the f*** do I know? I just do." I'm not sure what still draws me to it. I watch. Just not as often and not with as much enthusiasm. I'll still go to Cleveland because it, well, rocks. But beyond that, who knows...

jonovision_man
02-23-07, 05:33 PM
In a word, sponsorship. Without sponsorship you have wealthy hobbyists and ride buying wankers. If you want drivers that people actually care about it's going to take money. Forsythe was frustrated and angry that AJA left for NASCAR, and so were a lot of people, but the fact is that he simply got outbid so we won't get to see Graham Rahal and AJA racing each other.

The equipment is just fine. The DP01 is a real race car and the turbo Cosworth is well loved and sounds great as well. Yeah, it's a spec car and spec engine but I'll take that any day over most of the equipment that has been fielded lately. Whether it's crapwagons or the 1960's world of grand sham with it's tube frame mouse motor mediocrity, Champcar doesn't suffer in comparison. They have also got their costs under control, but none of it matters without sponsors.

oc

I agree with that 100%, you put it well.

I can live with the "spec" chassis/engine, I have F1 if I want technology and spiralling costs. The DP01 looks awesome, can hardly wait to see it out there.

But we definately need teams that can pay the best driver they can afford, rather than having drivers who have to pay the team!

jono

Elmo T
02-23-07, 06:10 PM
Some of this seems like an exercise in self-flagellation. :\

I watch because I enjoy it. I am not going to overthink it.

With regard to sponsorship - is it a chicken vs. the egg thing? Champcar gets a stable package and presents a good product, then sponsors come? Do we need sponsors to get people to watch? Do we need people to watch to get the sponsors? Do we need sponsors to keep drivers and the good package?

It wasn't so long ago that the whole place looked like it was headed down the toilet. I, for one, am willing to watch the races, go to the races as I can, and see where it all leads.

gjc2
02-23-07, 07:10 PM
Well, I do believe in the future of the series. I do whatever I can to spite TG. Sometimes the ship does seem rudderless. I don't know why I watch, I just do.

George

.... Do they remove the blades from the lawn mowers?

Racing Truth
02-23-07, 08:22 PM

jono

Well, for many, its not that easy. Tony George IS, and I suspect, always will be an issue for many, for quite obvious reasons. If he owns it, many can't support it.

On the "club racing" issue, its the turnover in drivers and the emphasis on urban fests that leads me anyway to feel that way.

Racing Truth
02-23-07, 08:36 PM

I admitted I could have given better options, but the point was NOT to get into the minutiae of the series. For one, your scenario gives WAY too many specific options. I doubt anyone watches anything for just ONE technical reasons.

For example, I love football (esp. the college game) for a variety of reasons: intensity, speed, action, passionate fans, etc. To have me pick one is absurd, IMHO.

The point was (albeit done with poor execution) to gauge bullishness/bearishness on Champ Car currently.

As for your last line: :rolleyes:

jonovision_man
02-23-07, 09:51 PM
Well, for many, its not that easy. Tony George IS, and I suspect, always will be an issue for many, for quite obvious reasons. If he owns it, many can't support it.

I understand that.

On the "club racing" issue, its the turnover in drivers and the emphasis on urban fests that leads me anyway to feel that way.

I don't mind the urban fests, as long as the track is good. Edmonton, Cleveland, Long Beach, Toronto, there's a few I really like. SJ, not so much. :p

jono

Tim
02-23-07, 09:57 PM
It's the chicks

Joelski
02-23-07, 09:57 PM
I like it because even a Coyne car is cool as **** when it flies past with the turbo screaming. The cars look light years better than anything else on the planet, and my boy can still take the kids to school, fo shizzle. :cool:

Ziggy
02-24-07, 12:59 AM
Great post rabbit :thumbup:

now to comment on astimus4's post

"I also don't understand people who complain about losing interest in the series, but then admit they only watch a fraction of the races anyway. The racing was pretty damn good last year. Just seems to me alot of old timers are losing interest and not bothering because their old favourites aren't around anymore."

I have been to over SIXTY champcar races. I would venture to say I have more time waiting in line to take a piss at a Champcar race than you have spent watching. I will meet you on this point, most of the cheerleaders dont go to races.

The racing was good? What, one race with a daring sidepod slap was not the stuff of legends. AJ coming on line as a winner (albet after being shitcanned from his regular job) did spark some life into the series, but it was short lived. For after a month of speculation on the Internet he finally announced what we all feared... and snuffed the life out of what little promise the series had in store for the future. There "old favorites" are not around anymore? Hell, I was just starting to like Will Clark, or was it Dan Power? Whatever Dude, show me a guy who is has been racing in this series for three years and I will show you a teenager from Miami France that needs a haircut. Seabass, Bruno, Tag, PT and uh....... oh yeah, Oriol. That about cover it? There have been more wankers in Champcar the past three seasons than a prison shower room.

See you at the races (but I somehow doubt it) "favourite" tells me you watch most races with a VCR remote in your hand.

RTKar
02-24-07, 01:08 AM
That's why I voted for "How the f*** do I know? I just do." I'm not sure what still draws me to it. I watch. Just not as often and not with as much enthusiasm. I'll still go to Cleveland because it, well, rocks. But beyond that, who knows...

Great post. Old habits die hard.

I'm sad to see it go but I'm ready to move on. :(

hootyhoo
02-24-07, 02:41 AM
my boy can still take the kids to school, fo shizzle. :cool:

LOL

The only thing your boy was taking to school was a whoopin from both his teammates AND Fabio :gomer:

Then he faked an injury so he wouldn't get whooped by Buddeee :rofl:

Joelski
02-24-07, 03:12 AM
LOL

The only thing your boy was taking to school was a whoopin from both his teammates AND Fabio :gomer:

Then he faked an injury so he wouldn't get whooped by Buddeee :rofl:

Oh well, he's out there and you aren't. I'm sure if he saw your stinging comment he'd be crushed. Enjoy your easy chair!

ncmlj
02-24-07, 07:51 PM
I love the sound,smell,and competition. It is just super freaking fantastic listening to a car coming down into Canada Corner. If it was about the business side of it I wouldn't even watch, but that part isn't my problem. Why worry about their busness, just enjoy the racing. It is good! Could be better in ways (I don't like the spec part of it),but it's good racing.