PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Purchase Help Needed

TRDfan
02-18-07, 09:03 PM
Finally going to take the plunge and buy a laptop, and I could use some guidance.

Looking for something pretty basic, it will be used for surfing the web, maybe some basic office functions. No games, no movies etc. Something I can take with on business trips and kill time in my hotel room with free wireless.

I'd prefer to go with an XP machine, since I haven't plunged into Vista yet. I know a couple people who have bought at overstock.com and had decent luck. Thought maybe someone here had some other tips. Don't want to spend a ton of money, since it won't be used for anything too elaborate.

Ideas ? Tips ?

Thanks for the help.

Cam
02-18-07, 09:09 PM
Good luck finding anything non-vista at any of the normal retail boxes. Hell I helped someone buy a new one the day after the release and everything in BB was Vista!

TRDfan
02-18-07, 09:21 PM
I know the stores just have Vista now. was hoping to find a refurb or left over XP machine that could be grabbed at a bargain price.

Insomniac
02-18-07, 09:53 PM
http://www.officedepot.com/textSearch.do?uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=323678

$550 w/ $200 Rebate = $350 Vista Home Basic though.

pfc_m_drake
02-18-07, 09:56 PM
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4987861

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4987291?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Both of those are XP Media Center Edition. Might be more than you want to spend though.

rocket
02-19-07, 01:44 PM
Try http://www.tigerdirect.com/ I've purchased a laptop and desktop from them without any issues at all. Good deals on Refurbs and open box or dings. The laptop, an eMachines had a small scratch on the back of the case. The laptop has been around for 2 years, the desktop for about 14 months and no issues with either.

oddlycalm
02-19-07, 03:56 PM
The mass market retailers and etailers will be all vista, but if you scratch a layer deeper you'll find plenty of laptops with XP still available. I avoid the mass market outlets like the plague in regardless.

oc

Wabbit
02-19-07, 07:48 PM
Don't buy from Office Depot. Only the extremely lucky *might* get their rebate checks.

HP is a good brand. My family and I have had good luck with Gateway in the past as well. Toshiba is probably one of the best, but you will pay for it. Stay away from Dell. They have the crappiest tech support that I have ever had to deal with (sales sucks too).

Insomniac
02-19-07, 08:59 PM
Don't buy from Office Depot. Only the extremely lucky *might* get their rebate checks.

I'm not recommending the OD laptop, but do you have any facts to back that up?

G.
02-19-07, 10:00 PM

Oooooo. Gotta disagree with that.

They even gave me my $200.00 rebate after I screwed up and didn't technically deserve the $$.

Seriously, I shop almost exclusively there for tech gadgets. I wait for their sale, due to how well they treated me recently.

Short version: I bought a Black Friday special computer bundle. Told the dude I didn't want the monitor, he said you need the whole bundle to get the rebates. He said enter it into the order-computer to see. Order form showed discounts and rebates, as well as out of pocket price. Without the monitor, price showed that it was STILL cheaper. Computer was wrong. You needed the whole bundle to get the big rebate. My cheapazz puter just tripled in price!

Manager gave me a instant rebate when I told my story.

Wabbit
02-19-07, 10:35 PM
I'm not recommending the OD laptop, but do you have any facts to back that up?

Around/after Christmas time, a lot of people were posting to various holiday shopping websites (no, I don't have the links anymore) that they were getting the runaround.

Based on my own experience, I won't bother either. I go to OfficeMax.

Insomniac
02-20-07, 12:03 AM
Around/after Christmas time, a lot of people were posting to various holiday shopping websites (no, I don't have the links anymore) that they were getting the runaround.

Based on my own experience, I won't bother either. I go to OfficeMax.

My experience hasn't been like that. I've had problems with rebates from various places over time, but nowhere consistently. It's always important to keep copies and be vigilent if you are denied. If you can't get it to work out, the BBB is very helpful in resolving rebate problems.

TravelGal
02-20-07, 01:49 AM
My experience hasn't been like that. I've had problems with rebates from various places over time, but nowhere consistently. It's always important to keep copies and be vigilent if you are denied. If you can't get it to work out, the BBB is very helpful in resolving rebate problems.

I'm sorry to read this because I'm pretty sure TravelGuy mailed off everything (new toaster oven) and we're gonna be out $40. Sh-t.

I also shop the Office Max sales. We got a HP Office jet 7410 about a year ago for about $250. List $450. Not bad. Not that that has anything to do with a laptop. :shakehead

SteveH
02-20-07, 01:55 AM
try www.ecost.com They sell refurbs, mostly HP, some Sony and others. Never bought a PC from them but have spent plenty there on other things. Reputable firm, I wouldn't be afraid of buying a laptop from them

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/category/Category.aspx?Category=82849000

some have XP

Insomniac
02-20-07, 10:23 AM
I'm sorry to read this because I'm pretty sure TravelGuy mailed off everything (new toaster oven) and we're gonna be out $40. Sh-t.

I also shop the Office Max sales. We got a HP Office jet 7410 about a year ago for about $250. List $450. Not bad. Not that that has anything to do with a laptop. :shakehead

Why? Because it has been longer than the waiting period and you haven't received it yet?

From my experience, it's a really small %, like 1 or 2 out of 100. One time it was a batch of them for Office Max. I still don't know what happened, but 8 or so rebates were all denied because of the postmark date. Their website had them dated at least a month after I sent them. I called and they approved all but 1 on the spot saying "Office Max appreciates my business and wants me to be a happy customer." The other was a manufacturer's rebate and they said they could do nothing. I filed a complaint through the BBB web site and 2 weeks later a check from the company was in my mailbox. I didn't need any copies for this.

The reason I say keep copies is sometimes you'll get denied because they something was missing. Then you can just fax in a copy and you should be fine. I had this happen with a NAV upgrade.

TravelGal
02-21-07, 02:27 AM
^^ well, they said it would take quite a while. I'm just a pessimist when it comes to sending things off and not keeping a copy. It's some sort of corallary to Murphy's Law, isn't it?

Audi_A4
02-21-07, 08:50 AM
I bought a compaq with a gig of ram last spring and think its great, also Dell has an excellent warranty you could drive over your laptop with a truck and they will replace it.

Insomniac
02-21-07, 09:28 AM
^^ well, they said it would take quite a while. I'm just a pessimist when it comes to sending things off and not keeping a copy. It's some sort of corallary to Murphy's Law, isn't it?

I think that is Murphy's Law. Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.

Insomniac
02-21-07, 09:30 AM
I bought a compaq with a gig of ram last spring and think its great, also Dell has an excellent warranty you could drive over your laptop with a truck and they will replace it.

Note that's only with "Complete Care" coverage. My laptop started to crack around a hinge and they would've done nothing if I didn't have complete care.

racermike
02-21-07, 02:23 PM
I am loving my Dell 1500 laptop I bought after xmas

I got $550 off with sale/coupons, and total was $1100 for DuoCore2, 2gb ram, and 256m video.

Only problem now is, laptop is difficult to type on with splint on left wrist, and very soon a cast. Medical bills might force me to sell it soon.

dando
02-21-07, 02:30 PM
Finally going to take the plunge and buy a laptop, and I could use some guidance.

Looking for something pretty basic, it will be used for surfing the web, maybe some basic office functions. No games, no movies etc. Something I can take with on business trips and kill time in my hotel room with free wireless.

I'd prefer to go with an XP machine, since I haven't plunged into Vista yet. I know a couple people who have bought at overstock.com and had decent luck. Thought maybe someone here had some other tips. Don't want to spend a ton of money, since it won't be used for anything too elaborate.

Ideas ? Tips ?

Thanks for the help.

Try the Dell Outlet for good deals on open box or refurb units. I've bought my last couple of laptops and desktops there, and have recommended several others who have bought there, 2. No probs so far. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-24-07, 08:21 AM
I know it's 2 months later, but if you didn't buy one, or other people wanted to buy a laptop (or desktop) with Windows XP instead of Vista, Dell brought back Windows XP as an option on home systems (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7010).

dando
04-24-07, 12:50 PM
I know it's 2 months later, but if you didn't buy one, or other people wanted to buy a laptop (or desktop) with Windows XP instead of Vista, Dell brought back Windows XP as an option on home systems (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7010).

:cool:

Saw that last week. They previously had them available for home office/small bidness...which anyone can buy through, so they may as well have them available for general consumers, too. Mikey Dell just got a new laptop with Fiesty Fawn installed on it, so hopefully Linux will be available next. :thumbup:

-Kevin