PDA

View Full Version : Has Britney lost it?

Pages : 1 [2]

Insomniac
01-17-08, 10:15 PM
The Associated Press began preparing Britney Spears’ obituary within the past month, Usmagazine.com has learned.

"We are not wishing it, but if Britney passed away, it’s easily one of the biggest stories in a long time," AP entertainment editor Jesse Washington tells Us.
http://www.usmagazine.com/exclusive_associated_press_has_written_britney_spe ars_obituary

Methanolandbrats
01-17-08, 11:49 PM
http://www.usmagazine.com/exclusive_associated_press_has_written_britney_spe ars_obituary
"one of the biggest stories in a long time". It would be sad on a personal lever and utterly meaningless on a national level. Very telling comment on the state of the media and country :shakehead

Insomniac
01-18-08, 11:00 AM
"one of the biggest stories in a long time". It would be sad on a personal lever and utterly meaningless on a national level. Very telling comment on the state of the media and country :shakehead

I don't think you need that quote to tell how sad the news/media is here. It seems every time I turn on headline news they are talking about something Britney Spears is doing. "News" now thrives on gossip, exaggerating stuff and making a mountain out of a mole hill. Of course, this is also a chicken/egg thing. Is their coverage like this because people want it, or do people want it because they cover it. The proliferation of cable news (and cable channels in general) have probably ruined everything. I miss the days where news was on news channels and gossip was left for Entertainment Tonight, Inside Edition, etc.

Andrew Longman
01-18-08, 12:14 PM
Britney offing would be a big story... for US magazine and the rest of the entertainment news rags.

And it would fill a lot time on the cable news networks just as Anna Nicole did.

Newspapers have long had gossip pages because people like gossip and entertainers like the free publicity. But that's what it was; gossip... not news.

Of course if Britney dies, it will be turned into news and commentary as the media wonders if it is culpable in her death and coverage of the coverage becomes the story. And there will be comparisons to Anna Nicole and child stars who stuggled in adulthood and questions about her mother's role in her demise.

And on and on.

But it might be a welcomed diversion for a few days (sadly at Britney's expense) from the endless Presidential campaign this year.

Cam
01-18-08, 02:29 PM
Newspapers have long had gossip pages because people like gossip and entertainers like the free publicity. But that's what it was; gossip... not news.

Q Andrew... Do you think it is because the public want it or because the public have been force fed it and now crave it? Somewhat akin to crack...

Methanolandbrats
01-18-08, 02:31 PM
Q Andrew... Do you think it it is because the public want it or because the public have been force fed it and now crave it? Somewhat akin to crack... It's because decades of TV have made most people stupid.

chop456
01-18-08, 02:46 PM
Watch Lehrer or don't bother.:thumbup:

nrc
01-18-08, 02:50 PM
It's because decades of TV have made most people stupid.Most people were stupid to begin with. The media has just discovered that pandering to it gets better ratings.

Methanolandbrats
01-18-08, 03:01 PM
Most people were stupid to begin with. The media has just discovered that pandering to it gets better ratings. Ok, they get stupider :p

Andrew Longman
01-18-08, 03:57 PM
Q Andrew... Do you think it is because the public want it or because the public have been force fed it and now crave it? Somewhat akin to crack...

No one has really been force fed. You can always change the channel.

But there is an purient appetite for gossip too. It doesn't matter if your neighbor is a drunk or cheat, the whole neighborhood will want to whisper about it.

There is a lot of this out there just because the celebrities want it out there. Career death for them is to be ignored and forgotten.

What HAS changed is the their used to be a single page of gossip in most daily newspapers and that was about it.

Now there are countless magazine, TV, cable channels, and websites dedicated to feeding the entertainment machine all of which makes me wonder why it is also treated as real news by the news channels.

I suppose it is, in the same way the news channels will talk about the Super Bowl. If enough people are interested in it, it becomes news.

TrueBrit
01-18-08, 05:32 PM
Watch Lehrer or don't bother.:thumbup:

Or watch BBC World News America...stuff happens outside of the continental US everyday it seems....;) :D

nrc
01-31-08, 10:24 AM
Britney back in the nuthatch. She feels like she's constantly being watched. Imagine.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Drugs/story?id=4220950

So evidently she's morphed into some trailer tramp version of Magneto that requires four motorcycles, two police cars and a helicopter to get to the hospital lest she should burst out of the ambulance and menace the local populace with her super has-been powers.

If anyone really cares about this person they need to commit her someplace where the press can't get within five miles of her.

TrueBrit
01-31-08, 10:45 AM
She was the LEAD story this morning everywhere.

The LEAD.

There is nothing more important ANYWHERE on the globe than this trainwreck of a human being?

Good grief...

:shakehead

Insomniac
01-31-08, 10:51 AM
Britney back in the nuthatch. She feels like she's constantly being watched. Imagine.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Drugs/story?id=4220950

So evidently she's morphed into some trailer tramp version of Magneto that requires four motorcycles, two police cars and a helicopter to get to the hospital lest she should burst out of the ambulance and menace the local populace with her super has-been powers.

If anyone really cares about this person they need to commit her someplace where the press can't get within five miles of her.

Probably helps that her current boyfriend is a paparazzo and sells stories/videos of her to the tabloids.

extramundane
01-31-08, 10:59 AM

:rofl:

Methanolandbrats
01-31-08, 11:00 AM
She was the LEAD story this morning everywhere.

The LEAD.

There is nothing more important ANYWHERE on the globe than this trainwreck of a human being?

Good grief...

:shakehead

Not on CNBC ;)

dando
01-31-08, 11:49 AM
Not on CNBC ;)

So you're the one watching the $$$ channel. ;)

Britney is quite clearly schizo using a British accent and all. Jeebus what a tragedy.

-Kevin

eiregosod
01-31-08, 12:17 PM
Not on CNBC ;)

that's the home of James Cramer's meltdowns :D

CNBC, they do the same thing, but do it differently.

Insomniac
01-31-08, 12:26 PM
that's the home of James Cramer's meltdowns :D

CNBC, they do the same thing, but do it differently.

That's offset by the Money Honey. ;)

dando
01-31-08, 12:41 PM
That's offset by the Money Honey. ;)

I thought M&B watched CNBC to see Liz Claman wearing sweaters. :) But I think she moved to Fox Business when that started last year. :cry:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_klxRPEKq4eo/Rx0eQDEWNuI/AAAAAAAAA1A/9dCDKuOjKR0/s320/liz+brown+sweater.jpg

Maria is old and busted. I miss my Martha MacCallum.

</threadjack>

-Kevin

dando
01-31-08, 12:44 PM
Looks like her mom staged an intervention. It's about time.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbiz/article-23435079-details/Britney+faces+two+weeks+in+psychiatric+unit+after+ she+is+seized+in+mother's+'snatch+and+grab'+raid/article.do

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
01-31-08, 01:10 PM
I thought M&B watched CNBC to see Liz Claman wearing sweaters. :) But I think she moved to Fox Business when that started last year. :cry:

Maria is old and busted. I miss my Martha MacCallum.

</threadjack>

-Kevin I do a bit of trading, I love up or down 300 point days :thumbup: I have CNBC on all day, muted most of the time. Love that sweater shot of Liz:D Maria looks like a chihuahua that was left out in the rain.

Gnam
01-31-08, 02:01 PM
This thread is almost a year old. 2007 was not a good year for the mayor of crazytown.
C-R-A! Z-Y-T! O-W-N!

eiregosod
01-31-08, 02:34 PM
This thread is almost a year old. 2007 was not a good year for the mayor of crazytown.
C-R-A! Z-Y-T! O-W-N!

when the writers go on strike, the place comes to a standstill.

TrueBrit
01-31-08, 02:41 PM
Google Liz Clayman and you will see some shots that put that one to shame...:thumbup:

She made that channel bearable...just...

Methanolandbrats
01-31-08, 03:07 PM
Google Liz Clayman and you will see some shots that put that one to shame...:thumbup:

She made that channel bearable...just...
I like the early shows, but the rest of the day must be muted to avoid the idiocy.

Insomniac
01-31-08, 03:39 PM
Dr. Phil had to weigh in (and make it clear he's not trying to practice :rofl:):

"I don’t think [Spears' current hospitalization] surprises anybody. All I've ever try to do is help. By that I don't mean doing therapy, because I don't do that anymore, but I've always felt like let's get her to the right kinds of professionals--ones that could provide psychological and psychiatric support. I don't know the circumstances of how she wound up in the hospital today, but if it's moving in that direction, that could be a good thing."

Don Quixote
01-31-08, 04:21 PM
Dr. Phil = tool x 1,000,000,000,000

TrueBrit
01-31-08, 05:38 PM
Dr. Phil = tool x 1,000,000,000,000

PLus 1

IOW...the ultimate tool....:yuck: