PDA

View Full Version : Road Atlanta Improvements

NismoZ
02-16-07, 11:41 AM
I was wondering with all the work that has been done at the "other" RA to make the track safer, among other things, if ChampCar would consider racing there. ALMS might need another partner weekend. Was anything done to keep cars from flying over that hill? Is that track Champcar compatible now?

chop456
02-16-07, 11:48 AM
NFW.

apex
02-16-07, 11:51 AM
I was wondering with all the work that has been done at the "other" RA to make the track safer, among other things, if ChampCar would consider racing there. ALMS might need another partner weekend. Was anything done to keep cars from flying over that hill? Is that track Champcar compatible now?

Both sides are interested but can't be done without major changes to track!

Steve Johnson: Road Atlanta is not currently in the plan. Could it happen in the future? Yes but many improvements would be needed from a safety standpoint for our cars.
Dont get me wrong, I like Road Atlanta and its a great track for our fans.

nrc
02-16-07, 12:19 PM
Have there been improvements in the last few years? Didn't someone get into the woods in a GTP car not too long ago?

pchall
02-16-07, 12:29 PM
Have there been improvements in the last few years? Didn't someone get into the woods in a GTP car not too long ago?

Bob Akins died of injuries several days after crashing his 962 while testing for an upcoming vintage event back in 2002.

Sean O'Gorman
02-16-07, 01:20 PM
I was going to say its too far from downtown Atlanta, but given the noise complaints, perhaps the track needs to be moved even further away from the NIMBYs. :shakehead

apex
02-16-07, 01:36 PM
The finally corner leading onto the pit straight is a bone of contention and needs to be altered to make it safe for champcars to run there.

Tony George
02-16-07, 01:43 PM
I was going to say its too far from downtown Atlanta, but given the noise complaints, perhaps the track needs to be moved even further away from the NIMBYs. :shakehead

They all moved to the area after the track had been there for decades. It's like the people who move next to the airport and then complain about the noise! :gomer: :gomer:

NismoZ
02-16-07, 02:05 PM
I thought I heard recently the changes were being made...right now.(?) I don't recall the exact changes mentioned. (Oh, pics and details on their website)

apex
02-16-07, 02:47 PM
I thought I heard recently the changes were being made...right now.(?) I don't recall the exact changes mentioned. (Oh, pics and details on their website)

They have and are making track changes but not to the last corner.

devilmaster
02-16-07, 03:09 PM
perhaps the track needs to be moved even further away from the NIMBYs. :shakehead

You can't escape the NIMBYs. They are everywhere..... http://www.addictsports.com/baseball/attachment.php?attachmentid=2387

NismoZ
02-16-07, 05:25 PM
How 'bout a "Champcar Chicane" just after (or before?) the bridge near the final turn? Slows 'em for T-1 also, wouldn't it? Silly, I suppose but it'd help fill that huge gap in the schedule before Surfers especially if Zolder is moved ahead of Assen as some are guessing. (Spa conflict)

apex
02-16-07, 10:48 PM
How 'bout a "Champcar Chicane" just after (or before?) the bridge near the final turn? Slows 'em for T-1 also, wouldn't it? Silly, I suppose but it'd help fill that huge gap in the schedule before Surfers especially if Zolder is moved ahead of Assen as some are guessing. (Spa conflict)

Yup...I wish they would do it. It would be an awesome track to see a champcar on!

Easy
02-17-07, 05:44 AM
They would have to decimate the peak of the hill before the pit straight for Champ Cars to run there. An FF1600 gets light cresting that piece of track. Not worth ruining Road Atlanta for that, its a sports car track.

nissan gtp
02-17-07, 08:54 AM
Bob Akins died of injuries several days after crashing his 962 while testing for an upcoming vintage event back in 2002.

it was actually a 88 nissan gtp

I'm not even close to be a track designer, but the turn 6 runnoff could be a problem, and as mentioned above, the final downhill turn. I'd think the champ car makes enough downforce to stay stuck going under the bridge, but the entire track from the bridge to the front straight would have to be rebuild by straightening it coming under the bridge.
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/7168/ratlfixki4.jpg

TrueBrit
02-17-07, 12:39 PM
Or you could just make improvements on the entrance to the old pits...