PDA

View Full Version : Possum

nz_climber
04-28-03, 07:26 AM
Well Im not sure how many ppl here know Possum Bourne(nz rally driver) but after his accident on good friday has been in hospital in a comma, tonight they turn off life support....

Our thoughts go out to him and his family...

http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,3882-2322501,00.html

RaceChic
04-28-03, 10:35 AM
I, as a critical care nurse, fully understand through years of providing care under these circumstances, just how difficult this is. I wish them a peaceful time during this process and pray that it is as smooth as it can possibly be. It is a time as a nurse that you fully realize the value of each and every one of us. I extend my thoughts and prayers to the friends and family.....:( :( :(

Eagle104
04-28-03, 10:35 AM
I just got an update from RALLYSPORTnews.com.au which confirms what you said.

This is very sad. Had been following his struggle for life, and had been somewhat lifted by the earlier, cautiously optimistic news.

Now they see that the injury was much more severe than earlier believed...and that futher 'support' is not in Possum's interest.

Best thoughts for his family, friends, loved ones and fans...and, of course, for Possum, too.
:(

nz_climber
04-28-03, 03:55 PM
UPDATE: Condition has deteriated over night but he is still hanging on..

Doctors are saying "His chance of survival is virtually nil."

This is a sad day...
:( :(

Story : http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3451696&thesection=news&thesubsection=general

Kiwifan
04-28-03, 07:10 PM
It's not looking good Aaron. :cry: To you folks who have never seen Possum or even heard of him he is our Rally legend. He one of the realy nice family guys of the sport, always smiling, passionate competitor (mainly with his own funding), always willing to give to the media and fans. It's been said he never left a race until the last driver had finished.

The last time I cried was when we lost #99, the late Greg Moore. If Possum does pass away it will be that deep hollow feeling all over again. :( :(

Russell.

RaceChic
04-28-03, 09:15 PM
I'm sorry Kiwifan........
I can relate when we all lost Greg Moore #99, especially as a Canuck.........:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

nz_climber
04-29-03, 04:12 PM
This is a sad day...:cry:

We have lost another great kiwi and an awsome driver...

RIP Possum

http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,3882-2327017,00.html

:cry: :cry: :cry:

devilmaster
04-29-03, 04:48 PM
A lousy day got even worse.

Condolences to the families, friends, and to his admirers....

I'll leave a quote from Vic Rauter, on the death of Greg. I have no doubt its fits Possum too.

From Vic Rauter:

"But maybe the best thing to say at a time like this, is simply, Thank you.

Thank You Greg, for some wonderful racing memories.

Thank you for making us proud to be Canadians every time you raced and every time you stood on the top step of the podium.

And Thank you, for being a perfect ambassador, in that understated, Canadian way.

Yeah, thats it, the best thing to say at a time like this.....

Is Thank You, Greg Moore."

http://216.40.249.192/s/otn/sad/bncry.gif
http://www.freeadpower.org/~mrsmiles/otn/sad/mecry.gif

steve

cartmanoz
04-30-03, 03:03 AM
Tragic day for Australasian motorsport. Possum was a great driver and personality and was liked by all on both sides of the Tasman.

He will be sorely missed.:(

Kiwifan
04-30-03, 04:39 AM
I was one of those lucky people to have met Possum on several occasions when he was in my store on his way to The Race For The Sky. My impressions are of a great family man as he always had a child in his grasp, his amazing smile and his willingness to talk to any fan who approached him.

I have been listening to Radio Sport all day and of the thousands of tributes that have come in most having a recurring theme, he was a bloody good bloke. In this day of money running (or ruining) sport I believe Possum just did it for the share love of it. The smile was the same whether he was getting in or out of the car. If I can quote a radio journalist. "I was lucky enough to get a 2km hot lap around the Auckland leg of a NZ rally. It was awesome and when we stopped Possum asked "did you like that?" and I said "I sure did!" and he said "so did I!" and with that we went hurtling off to do another circuit. He was just that type of guy who just loved to drive."

Sometimes drivers just seem to rise up and for some reason they stand out among the crowd. Dale Earnhardt was one. Greg Moore was one. Possum was one.

RIP, good buddy, we have all shed a tear for you and you family today.

Russell. :cry: :cry:

Eagle104
04-30-03, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Kiwifan
....and when we stopped Possum asked "did you like that?" and I said "I sure did!" and he said "so did I!" and with that went went hurtling off to do another circuit.

Perfect.

RIP, Possum. You did good.

krunch
04-30-03, 08:50 PM
The one thing I will remember of Possum is his infectious enthusiasm for the sport.
He just so loved what he did.

Possum's passing on has been a national tradegy in NZ but I just want to celebrate what a fantastic life the great man lead rather than the circumstances of his death.

Godspeed Possum.
If there is a rally racer's heaven then I'm sure Possum and Freethy are back together again and going for that number one plate!