PDA

View Full Version : It just turned January in Indy

WickerBill
02-13-07, 07:26 AM
We're getting an inch an hour of snow here (coming your way, bosses), except on my side of town, it got just warm enough that after about 4 inches, we are now getting a nice sheet of ice, then in about another hour it will get cold enough again to snow -- until midnight.

Ice sammich... mmmmm.

They're saying 10-14 inches now, and just north of Indy, it is a blizzard warning. Wow.

Can't wait for my kids to wake up so I can make them go shovel. :)

Warlock!
02-13-07, 08:06 AM
They're saying 10-14 inches now, and just north of Indy, it is a blizzard warning. Wow.Yup... I've been waiting all year for this... been a long time since we actually had a blizzard. However, my luck has me driving north out of the blizzard zone to go snowmobiling in Michigan toady at noon.

Sucks.

Cam
02-13-07, 09:28 AM
/me peeks outside.

Yup snowing! WTF is this blizzard warning they are talking about! :eek:

Doctors office already called and cancelled my appointment. Got beer, got intarweb? Check. This will be interesting. :saywhat:

nrc
02-13-07, 10:20 AM
Trying to decide whether to go into work. :\ One stupid meeting is all I need to be in there for today but if I go in it will be a mess getting home.

Andrew Longman
02-13-07, 10:48 AM
Typical Jersey suck ass winter storm by the time it gets here. 2-3 inches followed by hours of freezing rain, ice, slime and general mayhem.

Ed_Severson
02-13-07, 10:53 AM
It's about damn time we got some winter around here!

In the grand scheme of things, not that bad here in Indy. I've certainly seen lots worse. Made the morning commute nice, though -- hardly any of the idiots I normally commute with actually went to work today. :) Hardly anybody in the office, so I might take a half day and take the dogs out to the park to play in the snow.

Sean O'Gorman
02-13-07, 11:39 AM
Our Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Dayton, and Chicago offices have all closed today.

Ziggy
02-13-07, 11:52 AM
I didn't know they had Village Pantrys in Chicago :laugh:

ps - My lazy UAW job has a stipulation that if less than 15% of the work force shows up, those in attendance get to go home with four hours pay

Wonder if they get that in China?????

so

Im home

Elmo T
02-13-07, 11:55 AM
Typical Jersey suck ass winter storm by the time it gets here. 2-3 inches followed by hours of freezing rain, ice, slime and general mayhem.

Beat me to it. Latest forecast is calling for 3-6" of snow - followed by prolonged freezing rain with "significant accumulation of ice." I think I'd rather have the 7 feet of snow.

This being the first "serious" snow fall, the motorists will have to relearn winter driving techiques. :rolleyes:

RaceGrrl
02-13-07, 12:31 PM
My manager told me to stay home today. Almost all of our patients cancelled their appointments. I can do some work from home, so I can at least get a few hours in and not have to take a vacation day. Tomorrow will be worse, I think though, if we get the ice that's predicted.

TKGAngel
02-13-07, 12:36 PM
Looks like y'all in the Midwest get to experience it before we do. We're supposed to get 12-18" of snow before 5p tomorrow. That should make for a very interesting drive in to work tomorrow. We've already started praying for a snow day, but when you're time is billable, not much will close the office.

Ankf00
02-13-07, 01:33 PM
no mountains anywhere near, what a waste :p

rabbit
02-13-07, 04:00 PM
no mountains anywhere near
That's the best part. :thumbup:

Linda
02-13-07, 05:08 PM
9AM Tuesday

It's about damn time we got some winter around here!

In the grand scheme of things, not that bad here in Indy. I've certainly seen lots worse. Made the morning commute nice, though -- hardly any of the idiots I normally commute with actually went to work today. :) Hardly anybody in the office, so I might take a half day and take the dogs out to the park to play in the snow.

Hey Ed how did your dog walking go? If your getting what we are getting in Anderson. I hope your not dog walking and home safe.:\

Sean O'Gorman
02-13-07, 05:34 PM
Sent home today at 2 PM. Today was the day that bonus checks were deposited (do you get those in the UAW?) so I'm sure half the staff is half-drunk by now. :laugh:

Redwing
02-13-07, 05:40 PM
no mountains anywhere near, what a waste :p

Plenty of SOLID waste mountains near by, up nordt der hey. You haven't really skied until you've been down a garbage pile.

G.
02-13-07, 05:48 PM
damn snowblower threw a belt. I thought the engine seized. :eek:

Ziggy
02-13-07, 07:05 PM
Oh yeah. Performance and profit sharing

Spicoli
02-13-07, 07:35 PM
i haven't really done a ****ing thing all year. :D

Ankf00
02-13-07, 08:25 PM
i haven't really done a ****ing thing all year. :D

how shocking

Tony George
02-14-07, 01:28 AM
We got the ice and the white death!

devilmaster
02-14-07, 02:02 AM
just got back in from doin the first shovel. (and i suspect not the last either)...

rabbit
02-14-07, 02:03 AM
I just bought a new camera the other day, so I decided to go out for a little bit this evening and take a few pics with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28922457@N00/

A sample...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/134/389848563_27217d6967_o.jpg

chop456
02-14-07, 02:31 AM
That'd be a fantastic picture with a tripod.

rabbit
02-14-07, 02:33 AM
That'd be a fantastic picture with a tripod.

Thanks. That's my next purchase...

nrc
02-14-07, 12:27 PM
Two snow days in a row. Pretty much unheard of at my employer. Roads don't look too bad on the traffic cams as of now.

devilmaster
02-14-07, 12:43 PM
So, I assume someone here is a card toting, gun carrying member of the NRA. (and if you are, you are like the nicest people. I was just saying that to my friends. Really.)

So if you are, could you please stock on up and head to punxatawney for a coming to winter gods meeting with the rodents? Then head up to Wiarton here in Ontario picking me up along the way, and then we'll road trip through Quebec into the maritimes and head to a small town called Schubenacadie.

Phil, Willie and Sam - you'll have wished you had seen your shadow and hidden for another 6 weeks.

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/ed/madfire.gif
(hum O fortuna music here to make it more menacing)

Sean O'Gorman
02-14-07, 01:13 PM
Only six people showed up in my office today and it was closed by 9:00. I think it only took me ten minutes longer than usual to get in, and that included a stop for gas. The slower speeds were evened out by the complete lack of traffic.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/SOGorman35/2-14-07/Image002.jpg

Snow driving rocks. :cool:

chop456
02-14-07, 01:50 PM
So does snapping pictures while snow driving. :gomer:

TKGAngel
02-14-07, 03:05 PM
Not many businesses here closed for the day. It was mainly schools that shut down. The drive in took me an extra half hour, and that included a stop for a school bus accident and a cup of coffee at Timmy Ho's.

Maybe its just me, but does anyone else remember their schools being open during a heck of a lot worse weather than this?

Sean, can I ask how you took the picture and managed to not crash into anything?

Sean O'Gorman
02-14-07, 04:09 PM
Sean, can I ask how you took the picture and managed to not crash into anything?

Its called knowing how to drive. Besides, you steer with your right foot in the snow in an MR2, not your hands. ;)

Spicoli
02-14-07, 04:30 PM
Its called knowing how to drive. Besides, you steer with your right foot in the snow in an MR2, not your hands. ;)

you're STILL driving that POS? :laugh:

Andrew Longman
02-15-07, 01:55 PM
I was correct in my mayhem prediction.

Paper reports 1000 car accidents across the state yesterday. Two fatalities in separate incidents, both people hit by cars while they were trying to free their disabled cars.

Snow was mostly in the form of little ice balls. Worked like tiny ball bearings and made it almost impossible for man or machine to move.

10 degrees now and everything frozen solid and still shut down.

Power out to 50000 homes

Winter sux here

chop456
02-15-07, 02:22 PM
I had a guy spin 75 yards in front of me on I-94 last night doing about 75. He bounced off the median barrier, nose first, then back across all 3 lanes and into the ditch.

I felt like I was at 'Dega.

Thread the needle, baby. :tony:

devilmaster
02-15-07, 04:45 PM
I felt like I was at 'Dega.

Thread the needle, baby. :tony:

:laugh:

KLang
02-15-07, 05:12 PM
CNN has video of a Fed-Ex semi taking out a cop car, from the point of view of the cop car. :eek:

Not sure how to link it, it is on their main webpage.

rabbit
02-15-07, 05:59 PM
CNN has video of a Fed-Ex semi taking out a cop car, from the point of view of the cop car. :eek:

Not sure how to link it, it is on their main webpage.

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2007/02/15/vo.ky.dashcam.crash.wcpo&wm=11
":eek:" is right.

KLang
02-15-07, 06:03 PM
I think it would have been worse had the red car not been there. Can't imagine sitting there helplessly watching that come at ya.

Linda
02-15-07, 09:48 PM
So, I assume someone here is a card toting, gun carrying member of the NRA. (and if you are, you are like the nicest people. I was just saying that to my friends. Really.)

So if you are, could you please stock on up and head to punxatawney for a coming to winter gods meeting with the rodents? Then head up to Wiarton here in Ontario picking me up along the way, and then we'll road trip through Quebec into the maritimes and head to a small town called Schubenacadie.

Phil, Willie and Sam - you'll have wished you had seen your shadow and hidden for another 6 weeks.

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/ed/madfire.gif
(hum O fortuna music here to make it more menacing)

That is so funny:rofl:

Spicoli
02-16-07, 09:21 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2007/02/15/vo.ky.dashcam.crash.wcpo&wm=11

holy ****!

:saywhat:

skaven
02-16-07, 11:48 PM
For perspective -

GLOBAL AVERAGE TEMPERATURE FOR JANUARY HIGHEST ON RECORD, U.S. TEMPERATURE NEAR AVERAGE FOR MONTH
The combined global land and ocean surface temperature was the highest for any January on record, according to scientists at the NOAA National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, N.C. The most unusually warm conditions were in the mid- and high-latitude land areas of the Northern Hemisphere. In the contiguous United States, the monthly mean temperature was near average in January. A moderate El Niño episode that began in September 2006 continued into January but weakened during the month. The presence of El Niño, along with the continuing global warming trend, contributed to the record warm January. Monthly mean temperatures more than 8 degrees F above average covered large parts of Eastern Europe and much of Russia, and temperatures more than 5 degrees F above average were widespread in Canada. The unusually warm conditions contributed to the 2nd lowest January snow cover extent on record for the Eurasian continent.

NOAA Website (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2007/s2798.htm)

Spicoli
02-17-07, 12:20 AM
noaa. roxxxers!

best spendin of tax $$$$

eveeeer.

skaven
02-17-07, 12:50 AM
Yeah... ;)

More accurate than weather.com... at least on a micro level if you want to know if it is going to rain or not in your town. That article certainly has a slant on the "macro/ big picture."

WickerBill
02-17-07, 09:02 AM
Probably a touch too political, but the key words there are "on record". We haven't been keeping records very long, in the scheme of things. We don't really understand how the earth cycles.

KLang
02-17-07, 09:29 AM
Haven't we only been keeping records for a couple hundred years?

WickerBill
02-17-07, 11:58 AM
Consistent records -- only about 120-130 years, I believe.

Spicoli
02-17-07, 12:14 PM
damn, another 5 inches so far today. :saywhat:

TrueBrit
02-17-07, 12:36 PM
damn, another 5 inches so far today. :saywhat:

...and boy how the missus was surprised....;)

Stu
02-17-07, 12:51 PM

Well at least his wiper blades still work.

rabbit
02-17-07, 02:20 PM
...and boy how the missus was surprised....;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

WickerBill
02-17-07, 06:18 PM
Just got done shoveling. That is the lightest snow I've ever moved. I thought at 28 degrees snow was supposed to be heavy?