PDA

View Full Version : From TF - Another disgusted OW fan

RTKar
04-27-03, 10:04 PM
"If your business isn't healthy and you have a willing buyer..........
From Blooms Sports Business Line:

"As evidence of NASCAR's overpowering popularity, Fox's telecast of the Virginia 500 two weeks ago at Martinsville Speedway drew more U.S. households (5,631,000) than the combined nine races this season for the Indy Racing League, CART and Formula One (4,664,000 for nine races, three each)."

I apologize for using so much bandwidth today. I need to get it off my chest. There is no requirement for you to read it.

There has been much talk about the health of OW in the US. I have seen little to support a revival of ANY ow racing in this country.

The 500 has become what we all feared CART wanted--just another race on the schedule. And just one of many events at IMS.

I have attended IRL races from Charlotte to fontana, from INDY to Texas, and some in between. I doubt there are many on this board that have spent more cash following the IRL than I and my buddies. The best (and only) things IRL had going for them was Indy and the close racing. Indy has been diminishing for several years and now the on track product looks like it has diminished also.
Two things have changed the on track product since last year. The cars have been redesigned and the drivers have changed. i don't know who/what is to blame but the racing has detiorated immensely.
I am going to pass on the 500 for the first time in a loooong time and I mean a looong time. I have lost interest in this conglomeration of foreign road racers. It took me 7 years to figure that out. Guess I'm pretty dang slow witted. Some of you had this figured out a few years back. I see now how naive some of the arguements I presented on this board were.
The post by Lost in the South is a strong aguement why the Hulman george family may hang on." (from a TF member)

I don't even know where to begin....Most of us here realized the lies coming from IMS on day one when the announcement was made regarding the formation of the irl. It seems only recently the irl faithful are beginnng to wonder about the path they have been following the last 7 years. Who amongst both sides is truly happy theway things are? I know I have not been to the 500 since 1995 and I'm not really happy about it. How much lower will open wheel racing sink? Will there be anything left for us to watch a couple years down the road? I believe in CART and the premise of diversity in open wheel racing and I'm optimistic that CART has a better plan for survival versus the irl but I do think there will,one day,be only one open wheel racing series left. I just hope the principles of CART are not compromised.

chop456
04-27-03, 10:08 PM
I think that's what them fancy shmancy book-learnin' folks call an epiphany.

Thanks, Tony.

RaceChic
04-27-03, 10:58 PM
Here, Here!!!
Link, RTKar???? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

DaveL
04-27-03, 11:39 PM
As I said many times before, the only difference between us CARTisans and the ex-Lemmings is when we realized Tony was lying to us.

The false prophet always eventually reveals himself for what he truely is.

cart7
04-28-03, 05:58 AM
Steady men. Hold the reasons for the irl close to your heart and know that, while things may look bleak now, our Savior has secured the traditions of May for our childrens, childrens, children. Be still your hearts and relish all things good, named Helio and Vitor for they are good and they have paid homage to the Speedway. Castaway doubt, even when fendered cars may have to temporarily run on Memorial day weekend, for this was required to vanquish the evilness that was Cart, from soiling the Speedway grounds. Our trials will see fruition, not now, but in the eons to come. :gomer:

Amen

sundaydriver
04-28-03, 10:26 AM
Even if you are an IRL fan and don't like CART, you cannot argue the fact that Boy George has sunk the Indy 500 into oblivion. What this idiot has done to a once awesome race is pretty pathetic.

RaceChic
04-28-03, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by DaveL
As I said many times before, the only difference between us CARTisans and the ex-Lemmings is when we realized Tony was lying to us.

The false prophet always eventually reveals himself for what he truely is.

Or the Antichrist???!!!???:rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

WickerBill
04-28-03, 10:46 AM
The antichrist won't have nearly as high a percentage of detractors from day 1. There won't be 50% (or was it more like 60-70%?) who know immediately that the guy is a farce.

Don Quixote
04-28-03, 11:56 AM
To borrow and old phrase, the Grandson was born on third base and thought he hit a triple. Now he is running around the bases the wrong way trying to get back to first.

RaceChic
04-28-03, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill
The antichrist won't have nearly as high a percentage of detractors from day 1. There won't be 50% (or was it more like 60-70%?) who know immediately that the guy is a farce.

Fair enough, but the goals seem to be the same...... Tell a big whack of BS and sugar coat it to be "In the best Interests of Open Wheel Racing In North America"....... The correlation is the fact that they lead you to believe that they are doing it for you/us then destroy the original product in the very end out of selfish and self-serving needs........Makes me downright pissy..........:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

JLMannin
04-28-03, 06:15 PM
Tony George made the mistake of assuming that 500,000 fans would still turn out to see Pintos race backwards. He thought that the "place fans" would carry the 500 and the whole series of piss-ant races created to make the 500 look big and important.

There are less place fans than TG thought.

The 2003 irl 500 - an arrive and drive event :shakehead

Lizzerd
04-28-03, 06:32 PM
I went to TF to try to find that thread to get a chuckle of the tirade that guy must have heard. Doesn't seem to be there any more, or I didn't look long and hard enough. Got a link or a thread title?

pchall
04-28-03, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
I went to TF to try to find that thread to get a chuckle of the tirade that guy must have heard. Doesn't seem to be there any more, or I didn't look long and hard enough. Got a link or a thread title?

Threads are disappearing over there right now... rev-ed, dog-ring and the rest of the pound puppies must be getting paranoid. Funniest thing is that TF regulars are now posting stuff that was a banning offense for non-Kool-Aid drinkers last May.

RaceChic
04-28-03, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Threads are disappearing over there right now... rev-ed, dog-ring and the rest of the pound puppies must be getting paranoid. Funniest thing is that TF regulars are now posting stuff that was a banning offense for non-Kool-Aid drinkers last May.

Like the crap in my thread about all not neccessarily well in IRL fan land?????:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

RTKar
04-28-03, 11:40 PM

It looks to me like it got nuked. Sorry I didn't link it.

cart7
04-29-03, 12:07 PM
Over the weekend, TF admin got so frustrated with former irl flag waver turned irl troller, howard Dolan, they put a message up for him on the TF Home page. It called him out by name and said something to the effect of "We know Nascar is bigger than Indycar" :laugh:

Threads are being nuked on a regular basis over there the last week or so.

SteveH
04-29-03, 12:31 PM
"Threads are being nuked on a regular basis over there the last week or so."

Being a mod at TF is a thankless job, to say the least. All those deleted threads with no evidence left behind of the good work being done.

Interestingly, anti-irl threads are deleted but anti-CART threads are merely locked down, leaving them in plain view of everyone.

cart7
04-29-03, 12:43 PM
A few days ago, a guy made a statement that maybe the Speedway Gods were punishing Mario for the things he's said in the past.

I responded by saying that Mario had never said anything bad about the speedway so why would the "Gods" be angry. He's only talked badly about the irl being there and judging from the direction ratings & attendance for the 500 has gone, I'd say he was right.

After being piled on by 3 other posters, including TF admin., the thread was locked. :rolleyes:

Moderation over there is erratic at best.

SteveH
04-29-03, 01:04 PM
"A few days ago, a guy made a statement that maybe the Speedway Gods were punishing Mario for the things he's said in the past."

I nearly responded with a question on what Scott Brayton did to deserve the fate that the Speedway Gods handed him. But I was sure that would earn me a banned for life status.

JSR
04-29-03, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by cart7
A few days ago, a guy made a statement that maybe the Speedway Gods were punishing Mario for the things he's said in the past.

Who said that? No wonder the thread was nuked.

cart7
04-30-03, 12:43 PM
Greetings TF folks!!! :p :rofl:

pchall
04-30-03, 01:02 PM
Greetings TF folks!!! :p :rofl:

Are you expecting an exodus of TF refugees to OffCamber? Crikey, that will make Other Racing fun and keep WickerBill busy!

cart7
04-30-03, 01:07 PM
Naw, there's a link to this thread on the tenderloin forum over there. ;)

Checking who's on-line, there seems to be an unusual number of "Guests" viewing this thread today. :laugh:

JSR
04-30-03, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by sundaydriver
Even if you are an IRL fan and don't like CART, you cannot argue the fact that Boy George has sunk the Indy 500 into oblivion. What this idiot has done to a once awesome race is pretty pathetic.

Didn't defend this.

JSR
04-30-03, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Or the Antichrist???!!!???:rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

or this

JSR
04-30-03, 07:18 PM
That only took a couple of minutes. Nice try though mapguy.

RTKar
04-30-03, 07:54 PM
Naw, there's a link to this thread on the tenderloin forum over there. ;)

Checking who's on-line, there seems to be an unusual number of "Guests" viewing this thread today. :laugh:

What thread is the link on or has that been nuked too?

Lizzerd
04-30-03, 08:17 PM
Sheesh... I just looked for it too. No can find...

Those guys wield a sharp axe.

RTKar
04-30-03, 09:31 PM
Sheesh... I just looked for it too. No can find...

Those guys wield a sharp axe.

Kind of like book burning........

cart7
04-30-03, 10:27 PM
Try here (http://66.223.17.243/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=001120) . It's still up.

cart7
04-30-03, 10:35 PM
I posted a link to BiF's website a couple weeks ago( before he had it up and running like today). The post was flushed in about 5 minutes. When I asked why, Admin said he found the site disgusting (BiF in the superman suit). Today, a poster posts a link to it. It's still up. I complained but to no avail. It's all in who you know around there and you're position in the choir. :rolleyes:

BTW, check out the Judd decision thread on mnky's Cart board. I'll bet 'bird and 220 go after each other. :D

Classic Apex
05-03-03, 11:51 AM
There is no moderation there (no pun intended).

Speak what they want, or be banished.

Once last year a poster started a thread asking where people thought Greg Ray would finish in (I believe it was) the Indy 500. I responded with "in the wall." Was banned about 15 minutes later.

:rolleyes:

racermike
05-03-03, 02:34 PM
Out of my 8 "vacations" from TF, I have been banned TWICE for things said on OTHER MESSAGE BOARDS.

That, speaks for itself.

RTKar
05-03-03, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Brian Ericson
There is no moderation there (no pun intended).

Speak what they want, or be banished.

Once last year a poster started a thread asking where people thought Greg Ray would finish in (I believe it was) the Indy 500. I responded with "in the wall." Was banned about 15 minutes later.

:rolleyes:

I'm not registered their..... I guess I'd never be let in the door anyway. It's not that big of a loss but I really enjoy the historic stuff that's brought up for discussion, particularly about the 500, as well as the collectables information.