PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Help

KaBoom21
02-09-07, 12:06 PM
Well, it's time for my yearly dilemma of whether I buy a motorcycle or not.

Looking at used Honda Nighthawk 750s and don't want to spend more than $3000. I just want this to tool around the city and an occasional ride in the country. Any other Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki bikes that are similar in style and cost to the Nighthawk?

Help a brother out.

RichK
02-09-07, 12:17 PM
I don't know much about that market, but I have a little advice: buy now while the weather is crappy. Prices will rise with the temperature!

THIS (http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html) is a good resource if you are buying a used bike.

Good luck!

Wally
02-09-07, 12:31 PM
Kawasaki ZRX 1100/1200. Made 1999 to 2005, became a 1200 in 2001. 99 and 2000 models can be found for the 3000 range. Highly recomend for all around riding, comfortable and user friendly. Its known as the Eddie Lawson replica.......:thumbup:

Here is my 2000 model with a few mods....
http://216.165.194.66/ktmtalk/photogallery/galleries/members/tmpphpc7iTeo_6.jpg

Oh, and huck fonda..

KaBoom21
02-09-07, 02:12 PM
Hey Wally, that^^^ looks pretty sweet. Should have mentioned I'm just starting out riding and I'm like 6'2", 190 lbs. Not sure if that would be way too much engine for a beginner.

Wally
02-09-07, 02:30 PM
With your size you will be happy with a bigger bike not only in stature but in displacement. Nice thing about the ZRX is its tuned for torque and very smooth power, not intimidating at all .:cool:

dando
02-09-07, 02:59 PM
I ride a Yamaha V* 650, and I'm very happy with it for 8 years now. It's great for city and intermediate rides, but underpowered for long cruises.

Keep the shiney side up! :thumbup: :cool:

-Kevin

RichK
02-09-07, 03:40 PM
Two GREAT bikes for starting out are the Suzuki SV650 and the Kawasaki Ninja 650. They are great bikes that are a blast to ride. You could probably find some used SV650s in your price range.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/logo/500/SV650SK7.jpg

http://www.kawasaki.com/ImagesMain/Products/Action/201_EX650A7F_40103_A.scale.jpg

Al Czervik
02-09-07, 04:49 PM

Looking at used Honda Nighthawk 750s and don't want to spend more than $3000. I just want this to tool around the city and an occasional ride in the country. Any other Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki bikes that are similar in style and cost to the Nighthawk?

Help a brother out.

Watch how many drivers blow through stop signs / red lights, cut others off, are blasted out of their minds, and just generally don't pay attention while driving. That always cures me of any thought of buying a motorcycle.

chop456
02-09-07, 05:09 PM
I just want this to tool around the city...

The only place I was ever nearly killed on my bike was on Clark street by Century Mall.

Carry on. :D

KaBoom21
02-09-07, 05:45 PM
...on Clark street by Century Mall.
I was just down there last night. Was going to meet some people at the Gingerman for drinks and decided to get in quick workout at the Ballys. Turned out a pipe broke and there was no showers/no water. Fast forward 10 minutes and my credit card was gobbled up by the automated parking machine.

So me and my funky stench headed off to get the girlies to buy me drinks. :D

rocket
02-09-07, 06:20 PM
The last couple of years I have really been kicking the motorcycle idea around. I have riden friends bikes before, but never on a regular basis. Also most of the time would be commuting and it's only a 2 mile drive to work...or ride on the mountain bike.

Now when I am behind the wheel, my driving style is a little aggresive in the truck, so I think I'm better off staying off something that could rub me out in a second if I mess up. Although I'm sure realizing this I would be more careful.
The age also factors in too, 40 isn't old as far as I'm concerned, but the body just isn't the same as it was 20 years ago, no matter how good I feel, and from what I understand on a bike just like in a car, it's not a matter of if you will be involved in some sort of incident, but when. That coupled with the fact that Brit lives with me and we are always doing allot of traveling makes me steer clear of the motorcycles.

Whatever you decide, be careful, I don't want to see you cruising at the track in a Stephen Hawking special.

indyfan31
02-09-07, 08:05 PM

Help a brother out.

If Nighthawks are anything like they used to be you can't go wrong. I bought a used 1984 (when they were still 700cc) about 12 years ago, still ride it. I change the oil, buy new tires, occasionally replace the brakes, and put new plugs in it once. That's it, on a 22 year old bike.

KaBoom21
04-05-07, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the replys and words of wisdom/caution.

Rich, I really liked that Suzuki SV ( I saw a killer 1000 but couldn't justify the cost).

I went with one of these (not a picture of the exact bike, just same year/model/color):

http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2006/10/22/bikepics-707346-full.jpg

ride-chicago has a $250 2-day class (they supply the bike, etc.) that looks pretty comprehensive, so I'm getting excited (never mind the sub-freezing weather here).

Any recommendations on a helmet?

Andrew Longman
04-05-07, 02:52 PM
Watch how many drivers blow through stop signs / red lights, cut others off, are blasted out of their minds, and just generally don't pay attention while driving. That always cures me of any thought of buying a motorcycle.

My Dad crippled a woman on a bike when I was a kid. She blew a red light in the rain, not wanting to come to a hard stop. He tapped her at about 1 mph but she destroyed her leg when she slid into a stop sign.

So they never allowed me to have one or know to this day about the Honda 350 I had a blast riding in college.;)

My wife had a dear friend die on dirt bike shortly after we married so now any notion I have about a bike is gone:mad: .

But what sealed it for me, at least until my kids are grown and fully indepentent, was last year when I was one of the first on the scene of a motorcycle accident. Beautiful summer night, well before dusk, wide straight country road. A 17 year old girl turned in front of a husband and wife riding a Ducati at the speed limit and killed them both instantly. They left 2 kids under six.

Not trying to bum you out, just be careful and real about the risks.

And at risk of reprising an tense thread from a while back, wear a good helmet.:)

Personally I like the Kawasaki or the Honda. :D

RichK
04-05-07, 03:05 PM
Any recommendations on a helmet?

Congrats on the purchase!

Everyone is so risk-averse nowadays, that you are in for a lot of "I knew this guy who...." stories. It sounds like you are going to get training, which is the important thing. MSF classes are very helpful.

Regarding helmets, the most important thing is to find one that FITS your head! I tend to stay with the established companies (Arai, Shoei, Suomy) because I like the styles & features (removable liners, venting, nice paint jobs), but recent studies have shown that many low-cost helmets are just as protective.

This article from Motorcyclist magazine is AMAZINGLY GOOD and has surprising results regarding protection vs. cost:
Motorcyclist Article (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/)

After reading this article and also knowing a bunch of racers in my area, I bought a Suomy (non-Snell) helmet. I also have an Arai that is very nice.

RichK
04-05-07, 03:17 PM
Some good books:

Proficient Motorcycling (http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1889540536/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-7272991-0399801?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175800365&sr=8-1) by David L. Hough

(This one above is a must-read, IMO)

Twist of the Wrist (I & II) (http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Basics-High-Performance-Motorcycle/dp/0965045021/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/103-7272991-0399801?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175800487&sr=1-3) by Keith Code

Sport Riding Techniques (http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-Techniques-Develop-Confidence/dp/1893618072) by Nick Ienatsch

Wally
04-05-07, 03:27 PM
Arai,Shoei have always worked for me. Try to find a shop with a good selection. Sit down, walk around and fit as many a possible. Leave them on for a while to see if any hot spots develop. If you have a CycleGear, they will have a large selection on the floor to try.
You get what you pay for.

And nice bike, always liked the CB1000......:thumbup:

chop456
04-05-07, 09:37 PM
I like(d) my Shoei. Reasonably well vented, easy to change visors and it fit well. I have a fat head, so YMMV. :D

I really like hi-vis visors. Dark enough for daytime and light enough for nighttime.

Ratattack
04-05-07, 10:31 PM
Not much for Jap bikes, but Congrats.

The best Helmet out there for the price is the Nolan full face..100 series
I use it all year round. and Yes, I ride all year in Chicago, except snow and salt times

KaBoom21
04-06-07, 01:00 PM
My Dad crippled a woman on a bike when I was a kid.

My wife had a dear friend die on dirt bike shortly after we married

A 17 year old girl turned in front of a husband and wife riding a Ducati at the speed limit and killed them both instantly. They left 2 kids under six.

Not trying to bum you out

All evidence to the contrary. :D Seriously, I hear what you're saying. Never could have had one while my mom was alive or while I was married, but with that out of the picture and no kids, it's something I've always wanted to do. The addled old-timer totally oblivious to bikes and the cell phone user totally oblivious to anything are what always scared me off a bike.

And thanks for all the helmet/reading tips. Some of the used helmets on craigslist look decent, but I'm not real gung-ho on the idea of enveloping my head in someone else's nasty-a** sweat.

Hey chop, if I have an "oops" out on Lake Shore Drive, you can have my Police at Wrigley Field tickets. :rofl:

chop456
04-06-07, 01:24 PM
Sweet! I've never paid to enter Wrigley Field and I'm not about to start now. :D

Any chance The Police will replace Sting with Bootsy Collins?

KaBoom21
04-06-07, 01:30 PM
Not much for Jap bikes, but Congrats.salt times
Also, Dude, Jap is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please. [/walter sobchak] :rofl:

oddlycalm
04-06-07, 02:26 PM
Some of the used helmets on craigslist look decent, but I'm not real gung-ho on the idea of enveloping my head in someone else's nasty-a** sweat. The best reason not to buy used is because any helmet that it won't protect your head. Any helmet that has been dropped, even once, won't protect you in a wreck. Also, there is a decrease in the effectiveness of the crush layer over time due to sweat. You'd be better off buying a new non-Snell helmet as Rich did than buying a used anything.

An MSF class is a good first step but if it were me I would also spend a lot of time riding in rural areas until control of the bike becomes second nature before I put myself into an urban riding situation.

Every spring I used to go to the local police riding range to tune up my urban riding. If you can ride the entire cop range you won't have any control issues on the street. Mounted cops record very few accidents and do it riding serious miles in bad conditions. It was the same every year, the average advanced street rider can't make it through a single low speed pass on the cop range and every year it took me an afternoon to get back to where my body remembered how to do it.

And then there is rule #1: Unless you make eye contact with a driver you can assume they don't see you. Even then don't trust them. The good news is that you and your bike only occupy a small and narrow piece of road.

oc

Andrew Longman
04-06-07, 02:33 PM
Never could have had one while my mom was alive or while I was married, but with that out of the picture and no kids, it's something I've always wanted to do.

When I'm in your situation I'll be riding along with you:D

RichK
04-06-07, 03:21 PM
I would also spend a lot of time riding in rural areas until control of the bike becomes second nature before I put myself into an urban riding situation.

And then there is rule #1: Unless you make eye contact with a driver you can assume they don't see you. Even then don't trust them. The good news is that you and your bike only occupy a small and narrow piece of road.

oc

Great post, as usual!
When I started riding, I found an empty business park on the weekends and practiced threshold braking, riding into driveways with gutters, turning, etc. It really helped, and I still do threshold braking practice once in a while.

Regarding looking drivers in the eye & STILL not trusting them, that's spot on as well. I read (but can't find now) an article about the fact that car drivers, when pulling into an intersection for instance, are subconciously looking for other CARS. A motorcycle is a different & smaller shape, and often gets subconciously ignored, even when the drivers are looking right at you. I've experienced this, and it seems like they are intentionally trying to kill you, cuz they are staring right at you!

A couple quotes from experienced riders have stuck with me over the years:

"Ride like you are invisible"
and
"You are the 95 lb. weakling out there. Ride defensively."

Sean Malone
04-07-07, 09:14 PM
This is my new toy for the summer. Finally sold the cruiser to the bro-in-law and got a wheelie machine!

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2004/2004-suz-g6-d-09-3.jpg

oddlycalm
04-07-07, 10:03 PM
When I started riding, I found an empty business park on the weekends and practiced threshold braking, riding into driveways with gutters, turning, etc. It really helped, and I still do threshold braking practice once in a while. Yep, business parks work fine. The only reason we used the police range was that the markings were already on the pavement and we were lazy. :D

I finally shamed a few other good riders to go run the course with me and we had a ball setting up competitions. The favorite was always the slow race where the last rider to cross the line without putting a foot down on a 25ft. course wins. The one that most riders had trouble with was turning laps inside the 18ft. diameter circle without going outside the line. BTW, the cops can do this all day long without going outside the line or stalling it and falling over. The trick with all of these skills is to keep the revs up, slip the clutch and look where you want to go. In the case of riding the tight circle you literally have to look over your shoulder to do it, but when you do it works.

I've run the course on a sport bike, a Harley and a massive touring rig and it can be done on all of them, though it was easiest on the Harley due to the low CG. These days the local cops are on BMW's.

oc

Wally
04-07-07, 10:44 PM
This is my new toy for the summer. Finally sold the cruiser to the bro-in-law and got a wheelie machine!

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2004/2004-suz-g6-d-09-3.jpg

Nice bike SeanO.....:thumbup: Let us know when you need those knee pucks....:D

KaBoom21
04-08-07, 10:05 PM
Any chance The Police will replace Sting with Bootsy Collins?
Not sure. Maybe a journeyman lute player.

KaBoom21
06-22-07, 09:55 AM
The ride-chicago.com class was really comprehensive. It was a little scary jumping on a 1000 cc/500 lb bike after learning on a 250 cc Nighthawk, but I'm taking it slow in my neighborhood (basically an urban subdivision) with stops/starts/turns. Just keep having to remember to cancel the turn signal. :rofl:

KaBoom21
03-24-08, 08:14 AM
Just a quick update:

Put 1700 miles on the bike last year. Got exposure to wind, rain, city, country, expressway, etc. Love that I can always find a prime parking spot in the city since I attend a lot of rock shows and Cubs game (don't worry, only a few beers in the first hour and that's it - unlike a weekend at the races ;) ). I keep a hi-visibility vest under the seat for driving at night.

That Proficient Motorcycling book was an excellent read.

The advice in this thread was better than anything I found at some of the motorcycling sites. Seriously. It's what makes the OC Community forum a great "one-stop shop" resource.

indyfan31
03-24-08, 10:13 AM
So glad you're enjoying it, it's hard to describe the feeling to those that don't ride. Incidentally, I took a MC driving course at a local Community College last year. I only went because a friend of mine who was a new rider was taking it and I figured I'd just go through the motions. I'll be damned if I didn't learn something.
btw, I finally sold my Nighthawk a few weeks ago. Now I'm in the market for a Harley. Like all the bikes I've owned, I'm sure I'll be driving along one day and there it'll be.

oddlycalm
03-25-08, 03:47 AM
Glad you're liking it. Make sure you keep the dirty side down and pass along what you learn to the noobs of the future. :thumbup:

oc

chop456
03-25-08, 04:23 AM
Now I'm in the market for a Harley. Like all the bikes I've owned, I'm sure I'll be driving along one day and there it'll be.
Most likely parked and smoking on the side of the road. ;)

dando
03-25-08, 08:56 AM
*grumbles*

One of these days I'm going to invent car seats for bikes so I can ride more often. :)

-Kevin