PDA

View Full Version : Mario Wreck Registers 58G's

Chief
04-27-03, 11:57 AM
And still he walked away....

Mario Didn't Want To Be A Test Dummy (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam030426/car_lon-sun.html)

Andretti hit debris and the car took flight, flipping end over end twice, then landing back on the track on all four wheels. The G-force was measured at 58.

"There's continuous research in that area. Unfortunately, my accident gives them new information."

"My car became a big wing," said Andretti, who walked away from the accident with only a bruised chin.

RaceChic
04-27-03, 01:49 PM
[Quotes from Mario]
"I'm a CART supporter. I'm not an IRL supporter. I support my son," Mario Andretti said last night during an appearance at Delaware Speedway.

"I raced at a lot of short tracks in Canada -- 1962 was my first time in Canada -- and it's always like coming home.

"True race fans live in Canada."

My hero!!!!!! Right On !!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

[quote]
"It has been renamed the Mario Andretti Grand Prix at Road America."

Good idea and well deserved. One of the oldest natural terrain road courses in the USA and on the CART schedule carries the name of the one of the most respected, past generation drivers around! Absolutely perfect!!!!!! :D :D

devilmaster
04-28-03, 11:06 PM
So if the G force was only 58.... does that turn the really important light on?

And is that why he didn't get forced to go to the care center?

Safe Series my a$$

Thanks, Idiotgrandson

:shakehead

Steve

nz_climber
04-29-03, 05:35 AM
Well Im not too sure how correct my maths is but 58G's is a hell of a lot of G forces!!!

But doing some quick calculations..

Take a person weighing 80kg times that by the 58 and the forces of gavity and laws of pshyics make that person the equivalent of 4640kg's thats 4.64 metric tonnes!!!!

From memory fighter pilots can endure about 9G's before they black out (don't quote me thou - but i know its not much more) and they are wearing compression suits to hold them together and hold their blood in their brains!!

Not to take anything away from Mario's crash(he was pretty lucky to get out unhurt) but you got to wonder about how accurate this eqipment is and is it working?? hrmm I still can't work it out

Can someone point out where I have gone wrong?? cause things don't add up for me...

Maybe its me .. (being a kiwi and all)

aaron

SteveH
04-29-03, 09:29 AM
58Gs is the spike, it only happens for a fraction of a second. When pilots experience G loads its usually sustained for several seconds. The lower G load a pilot experiences is magnified by the amount of time at that load. Time is as big of a factor as the G load itself.

Chief
04-29-03, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster
So if the G force was only 58.... does that turn the really important light on?

You know, it doesn't have to be so boring.....They could make it fun like swinging a sledgehammer at a county fair with bells and lights that go off depending on the severity of the hit. They can give the driver with most hits a kewpi doll award at the end of the season. Kinda brings a down home fair atmosphere to the most competitive racing series in the world. :p

JLMannin
04-29-03, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Chief
You know, it doesn't have to be so boring.....They could make it fun like swinging a sledgehammer at a county fair with bells and lights that go off depending on the severity of the hit. They can give the driver with most hits a kewpi doll award at the end of the season. Kinda brings a down home fair atmosphere to the most competitive racing series in the world. :p

:D :D "The State Fair brand Corn Dog Bell ringer Award" :rofl: :rofl:

Scott Sharp in in line for the lifetime acheivement award for bell ringers.

nz_climber
04-29-03, 08:55 PM
Thanks for explaining that SteveH :)