PDA

View Full Version : Canadian TV?

jonovision_man
02-06-07, 06:56 PM
Now that the U.S. deal is with ESPN, any news of what's happenning in Canada?

I was assuming we'd see CCWS back on TSN, but their racing schedule appears to be CC-free at the moment.

Any news?

jono

FDP
02-06-07, 08:59 PM
TSN is also showing Cascar and the hurl this year. They don't have any free time for CC. I think The Score is the only station that can.

devilmaster
02-06-07, 09:32 PM
I think The Score is the only station that can.

Sportsnet or the Score would be decent. The score moreso because they have less live programming - Sportsnet would prempt for baseball since they are owned by Ted Rogers who owns the Jays.

The Score a couple years ago was giving alot of press to Champcar, and I had said then and I still do now that they seemed to be willing to get onboard and be a good partner to CC.

The other option is to get Global to up their contribution and show all the races, since they own the rights to show the Canadian events and are host broadcaster. I never got the idea of only showing the Canadian events but not bothering with the rest of the races.

mcgonigle
02-07-07, 08:42 AM
The score would be good except for that they have to have that ticker on the bottom of the screen at all times. Combine that with the usual on screen graphics of the CC broadcast and over 1/3 of the picture is lost.
Sportnet I think would be better seeing as they have 4 channels available (timeshifting). They also lost the Busch series and CASCAR for this year, so they would probably want to fill those slots with some other type of racing.

Honestly though, I think we'll end up getting the 6 network races plus the 3 on Global and the rest we'll have to find ourselves on Race Director. :(

pferrf1
02-07-07, 12:12 PM
The Score will do nothing for the series in Canada other than to provide an outlet for the existing fans to watch. Ratings will be even more miniscule making it even harder for any team to attract Canadian sponsors, regardless of three Canadian events.

If we're relegated to Sportsnet, that could be an opportunity to form some type of business alliance with Rogers. Cross-market the Toronto race with blue-jays, etc. ...

jonovision_man
02-07-07, 02:41 PM
The Score will do nothing for the series in Canada other than to provide an outlet for the existing fans to watch. Ratings will be even more miniscule making it even harder for any team to attract Canadian sponsors, regardless of three Canadian events.

If we're relegated to Sportsnet, that could be an opportunity to form some type of business alliance with Rogers. Cross-market the Toronto race with blue-jays, etc. ...

I would love to see ChampCar on Sportsnet... the time slots couldn't be any worse than what TSN would provide.

I just think the ESPN/ABC suggests TSN... get ready to spend your Sunday midnight-2am watching Champ Car, though. :saywhat:

jono

TorontoWorker
02-13-07, 05:54 PM
The only upside to TSN doing the races is that they boradcast in HD which is the only way to watch sports! The downside is that Champ Car will be treated like crap with post midnight tape plays agin if they can get away with it.

TedN
02-17-07, 11:22 AM
Perhaps CCWS coverage will end up on TSN’s so-called “alternate feed” (aka TSN2).

This is a channel which will be operative when there is a conflict between two programs that TSN is committed to broadcast.

It looks like TSN-AF will be available on the satellite services (expressVu and Star Choice) but not sure of availability on cable companies (Rogers, Cogeco etc.)

Ted

jonovision_man
02-17-07, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure that second feed is truly a station, it's only used for what you said at the moment (black-out conflicts). The CRTC might have a thing or two to say if they start expanding its use.

jono

devilmaster
02-19-07, 03:18 PM
Global has a partnership with Sportsnet for Sportsnews on their news broadcasts, here's hoping its an obvious marriage that Global and Rogers Sportsnet can do together.

jonovision_man
03-11-07, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure that second feed is truly a station, it's only used for what you said at the moment (black-out conflicts). The CRTC might have a thing or two to say if they start expanding its use.

jono

I'm wrong. :)

They used the alternate yesterday to show the Busch race live, then showed it on the main TSN a few hours later.

They've even incorporated into the schedule for the IRL races, they'll be live even when the main TSN is showing them after midnight:

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/feature/?fid=804&hubname=#irl

If ChampCar can swing being on TSN, I'll be happy, but so far haven't heard a peep about Canuck TV.

jono

jonovision_man
03-24-07, 11:03 AM
Still waiting...

ChampCar web site says:

Canada SPEED, RDS, GlobalTV, AFN

- AFN doesn't seem to exist
- Global TV would only be the Canadian races
- RDS is in french-only
- SPEED likely refers to last year! :saywhat:

jono

Indy
03-26-07, 08:56 PM
The rumor is that if you are Canadian, you are screwed. Does anyone have any definite info on this? If it is true, then it would have to rate as the biggest blunder of the current management team to date.

jonovision_man
03-26-07, 10:50 PM
The rumor is that if you are Canadian, you are screwed. Does anyone have any definite info on this? If it is true, then it would have to rate as the biggest blunder of the current management team to date.

... and that's saying something! :shakehead

Remember back in the days when the myth that ChampCar was popular in Canada was still alive? Sigh. Now they've totally forgotten about us. :p

IRL - no Canadian races - every race covered.

CCWS - 3 Canadian races - nadda?

Better not be true. :flame:

jono

opinionated ow
03-26-07, 11:13 PM
add to that..nothing for australia or new zealand.

Kiwifan
03-27-07, 12:58 AM
I'm hoping ESPN International at the last minute esp if Matt Halliday gets a ride otherwise ...... :shakehead

Rusty.

G.
04-04-07, 10:59 AM
CCF says Canuck TV coming! via SJ.

I'm out. Finish packing, go fly somewhere.

jonovision_man
04-10-07, 08:37 PM
CCF says Canuck TV coming! via SJ.

Just looked this up... on ccf:

To all of our Canadian fans, We have not forgotten you just took longer than anticipated in the negotiations. TV negotiations are one of the toughest aspects of the business of racing.
We are finalizing a release as we speak and without tipping our hat, you will be watching Champ Car in our second home!!!!
You are great fans and we love Canada. Stay tuned

Steve Johnson

I assume he's not blowing smoke... but can't say I'm impressed with a deal that didn't start with the first race.

jono

opinionated ow
04-10-07, 09:04 PM
Just looked this up... on ccf:

I assume he's not blowing smoke... but can't say I'm impressed with a deal that didn't start with the first race.

jono

aus got the trust me also. i don't.

Indy
04-11-07, 07:39 PM
Still not there? What a freaking joke.

swift
04-13-07, 12:03 PM
** BUMP **
"The Score" network got the Canadian rights, starting with Houston. I don't have the links handy, but there's a write-up @ Eric Gagnon's blog, and the Houston race is on the official broadcast schedule for 4/16 on the score.ca's website.

yay :cool:
:relief:

jonovision_man
04-13-07, 01:05 PM
The Score... wow. They're one of Canada's top 10 cable sports networks, behind only TSN, TSN-alternate, Sportsnet East, West, Pacific, and Central, Speed, OLN... the golf network... :p

Meh. I'm just glad it's on somewhere.

jono