PDA

View Full Version : CC Cosworth DP01 Engine

NismoZ
02-05-07, 02:44 PM
Would someone who knows the difference between a nut and a bolt please tell me about the engine as pictured at Sebring? I see a 4 into 1 exhaust configuration on both sides and nothing that looks much like the old turbo. Are there two small ones? None?:eek: There's a bunch of pics of a PCM car over at Motorsport.com and I see two distinct outlets. Did the old Lola have 2? I must have missed something obvious, but wasn't the 2 turbo idea dropped?

Al Czervik
02-05-07, 03:24 PM
Can't say for certain on the new car, but the old setup had 2 wastegates (one per bank) and 1 turbo. Could be the same setup.

grungex
02-05-07, 03:26 PM
Would someone who knows the difference between a nut and a bolt please tell me about the engine as pictured at Sebring? I see a 4 into 1 exhaust configuration on both sides and nothing that looks much like the old turbo. Are there two small ones? None?:eek: There's a bunch of pics of a PCM car over at Motorsport.com and I see two distinct outlets. Did the old Lola have 2? I must have missed something obvious, but wasn't the 2 turbo idea dropped?

The turbo is located in the bellhousing between the engine and gearbox. The headers feed the turbine section from both sides (I think there is a "Y" inside the bellhousing), but each side has its own external wastegate. The little exhausts you see pointing upwards are the exits from the wastegates. I'm not positive, but there may be only a single main exhaust, which comes out at roughly driveshaft height.

Here are some pics from a Reynard, but there shouldn't be that much difference in plumbing between the three chassis. Exhaust feeds the turbo from the left opening, exits from the right.

http://i15.tinypic.com/3yzydck.jpg

http://i9.tinypic.com/2qjbpkg.jpg

grungex
02-05-07, 03:31 PM
Here is the right side of the car, notice the exhaust entering the bellhousing at the lower right, symmetrically with the other side. The air intake is mid-picture.

http://i7.tinypic.com/47iigkp.jpg

grungex
02-05-07, 03:44 PM
Here is the right side on a Lola, the wastegate configuration is virtually identical to the Panoz. The red arrow points to the exhaust inlet to the turbo. They were able to eliminate the heat shielding bags on the new car.

http://i18.tinypic.com/33k7qk6.jpg

NismoZ
02-05-07, 03:54 PM
Now I'm REALLY confused!:D The lack of shielding probably messed me up. Glad that distinct sound is still, uh, distinct! A mix between wastegates and single exhaust?

grungex
02-05-07, 04:20 PM
Now I'm REALLY confused!:D The lack of shielding probably messed me up. Glad that distinct sound is still, uh, distinct! A mix between wastegates and single exhaust?

Here's a really crude overhead diagram of the exhaust (yeah, I'm no computer artist, but you'll get the idea):

http://i7.tinypic.com/2zylclg.jpg

Tim
02-05-07, 04:43 PM
It's like a diagram they show you in 5th grade sex-ed.

pchall
02-05-07, 04:55 PM
It's like a diagram they show you in 5th grade sex-ed.

Yes. But a whole lot sexier and more accurate.

Definitely not a limp noodle and an unidentifiable point of entry...

robot9000
02-05-07, 05:58 PM
I think in some of the testing photos that were posted, you can just make out the turbo housing low and behind the engine.

Good drawing Grungex !

NismoZ
02-05-07, 05:59 PM
Now THAT makes sense. Many thanks. Why was it decided NOT to do a twin turbo. Wasn't it supposed ease plumbing difficulty and reduce heat problems?

FCYTravis
02-05-07, 06:12 PM
A second turbo might simplify some things, but it would also add weight. The designers might have also decided it would be simpler to cool one very very hot spot, rather than cool two merely very hot spots.

Wheel-Nut
02-05-07, 06:25 PM
I thought it was Toyota that first went to the single sided turbo to improve the driveability of the 2.65L motor on road courses?

NismoZ
02-05-07, 06:41 PM
I distinctly recall daMatta in the Pioneer Toyota with the single sided routing but that was in the open test at the Chicago paperclip. Incredible sound out of 4! Remember, TB?

Wheel-Nut
02-05-07, 06:47 PM
http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/2001Misc/Turbo2.jpg

Ankf00
02-05-07, 08:24 PM
Yes. But a whole lot sexier and more accurate.

Definitely not a limp noodle and an unidentifiable point of entry...

I see that over the course of the past 30 years of science, sex-ed diagrams are none the better for it.

grungex
02-05-07, 10:25 PM
Now THAT makes sense. Many thanks. Why was it decided NOT to do a twin turbo. Wasn't it supposed ease plumbing difficulty and reduce heat problems?

I suspect it was easier and cheaper to go with what they already had, the only difference I see is some changes to the physical locations of the pipework.

I only vaguely remember it, but I think the Toyota only fed the turbo from one cylinder bank, which is what made it so unique.

nissan gtp
02-05-07, 10:30 PM
I suspect it was easier and cheaper to go with what they already had, the only difference I see is some changes to the physical locations of the pipework.

I only vaguely remember it, but I think the Toyota only fed the turbo from one cylinder bank, which is what made it so unique.

that's the way I remember it as well.

and that thing was loud !

B3RACER1a
02-06-07, 12:06 AM
Toyota, then Honda, went with the single sided turbo on ovals only. At high RPM's, you only needed one bank to keep the manifold pressure up...because at that time they had lowered the manifold pressure from 40in Hg to 37in Hg from what I remember...could be wrong on that. Anyways, when it only takes one turbo to keep the manifold pressure up, it was more efficient to do any with the other side. This was strictly on ovals though.

This difference with today's setup is both banks feed one single turbo, as opposed to 1 bank/1 turbo.

grungex
02-06-07, 12:09 AM
Speaking of Toypta, remember the LED signs in the wheels?

Winston Wolfe
02-06-07, 12:26 AM
Toyota, then Honda, went with the single sided turbo on ovals only. At high RPM's, you only needed one bank to keep the manifold pressure up...because at that time they had lowered the manifold pressure from 40in Hg to 37in Hg from what I remember...could be wrong on that. Anyways, when it only takes one turbo to keep the manifold pressure up, it was more efficient to do any with the other side. This was strictly on ovals though.

This difference with today's setup is both banks feed one single turbo, as opposed to 1 bank/1 turbo.

Honda ran the SST at Fontucky in 2002 I believe. I was watching quallies and the engine note was distinctly diffrerent... I believe of the TKG cars ran it in that race. And the year before, in 2001, I believe they also ran it...
Remember when PT's engine went in one of those races ('01 or '02) and the manifold shot waaayyyy up in the air.....

nrc
02-06-07, 12:29 AM
Speaking of Toypta, remember the LED signs in the wheels?

Those were a great idea. Just don't drive though Boston. :saywhat:

pchall
02-06-07, 07:41 AM
Those were a great idea. Just don't drive though Boston. :saywhat:

:rofl:

The city officials in Beantown are doing major CYA on that one. Did anyone even think to call the sign company and ask about about it?

G.
02-07-07, 12:42 AM
Speaking of Toypta, remember the LED signs in the wheels?Were those just on the Toyotas?? They were offered to everybody, IIRC.

Could those be seen in the grandstands? I thought that that was the problem with them, you had to look at them almost perpendicular to the wheel.

That, and they were MAJOR expensive.

(I got to play with those a bit...)

grungex
02-07-07, 09:39 AM
I only vaguely remember them, saw them at Chicago. You couldn't really read them, I had to look a few times before I figured out the brakes weren't on fire.

diamond dave
02-07-07, 10:11 AM
I thought it was only the N/H cars that had that?

KLang
02-07-07, 10:30 AM
I thought it was only the N/H cars that had that?

That is the way I remember it as well. They were only visable from certain angles and showed up better if it was cloudy.