PDA

View Full Version : Mazda As Ford Replacement?

NismoZ
02-02-07, 10:48 PM
Autoweek thinks Mazda is most likely and is indeed negotiating with CC. Mazda must want it because an associate was quoted as saying if their name wasn't on the Cosworth's valve covers (instead of Kia perhaps) "I'm not sure Mazda would be interested in playing 2nd fiddle for that." Oooo, pressure. Ain't business grand?

formulaben
02-02-07, 11:06 PM
Autoweek thinks Mazda is most likely and is indeed negotiating with CC. Mazda must want it because an associate was quoted as saying if their name wasn't on the Cosworth's valve covers (instead of Kia perhaps) "I'm not sure Mazda would be interested in playing 2nd fiddle for that." Oooo, pressure. Ain't business grand?

I read that too, and my first thought was they already are playing 2nd fiddle...

NismoZ
02-02-07, 11:26 PM
Yeah, but it was to their Daddy, Ford. Picture it: Ford gets kicked out, then CC is talking to Mazda, a Co. in which Ford holds a large share and probably has a big say in what it will do. You might think that'd give Ford leverage, but Mazda is actually profitable and wouldn't a large shareholder want to help keep it that way? Davis says he's really mad at being tossed so maybe making CC squirm a little pleases him. Like I said, business.:shakehead

robot9000
02-05-07, 03:20 PM
Yeah, but it was to their Daddy, Ford. Picture it: Ford gets kicked out, then CC is talking to Mazda, a Co. in which Ford holds a large share and probably has a big say in what it will do. You might think that'd give Ford leverage, but Mazda is actually profitable and wouldn't a large shareholder want to help keep it that way? Davis says he's really mad at being tossed so maybe making CC squirm a little pleases him. Like I said, business.:shakehead

Ford doesn't have a big say in the matter. They have the final say. Ford, for all intents and purposes, owns Mazda.

Insomniac
02-05-07, 03:49 PM
Ford doesn't have a big say in the matter. They have the final say. Ford, for all intents and purposes, owns Mazda.

I don't thnk the Mazda shareholders would be too thrilled about that...

cameraman
02-05-07, 04:42 PM
As of Jan 26, 2007 Ford Motor Company owns 33.9% of the total outstanding voting rights of the Mazda Motor Corporation. Not all shares have voting rights thus the qualifier. Ford is the largest shareholder but they do not have controlling interest.

robot9000
02-05-07, 05:55 PM
Well, it is common knowledge here in Detroit that Ford pretty much calls the shots at Mazda. They share plantforms and such. They are very integrated. IIRC, Fords interest grew at Mazda's request a few years ago when Mazda was not doing very well.

I would be very suprised that Mazda would do something like take over the Ford sponsorship without Ford knowing and being okay with it.

They make Mustangs at the same plant they make Mazda6 - here in Flat Rock.

I don't know how to imbed a link on this board, but here is a year or so old article about the Mustang and Mazda being built in the same factory.
http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/110407.html

BTW the Mustang III mentioned in the article eventually went on to become the Probe. I was working in Fords Design Center at the time and saw the various prototypes. Man, that was a cool place to work. You saw all kinds of crazy stuff....

Fio1
02-07-07, 10:53 AM
So, we'd have Formula Mazda, Formula Skip Barber Mazda, Formula Atlantic Mazda, and Formula Champcar Mazda? Zoom-Zoom-Zoom.

NismoZ
02-07-07, 12:41 PM
No, that'd be zoom, Zoom, ZOOM, ZOOOOOMMMM!:thumbup: (better be careful of that eggs/basket thing though.)