PDA

View Full Version : "Ford Kicked Off The Island"

NismoZ
02-02-07, 09:37 PM
By ChampCar.That's a Dan Davis quote from Autoweek. Further proof I think that Ford had been getting the best part of the deal for some time and CC is looking for a better ($$) manufacturer partner. The AR1 story estimated CC was "getting a paltry $1 million for the Ford Hot Laps program, the Blue Oval stickers and almost nothing else." I think many of us suspected that was the case and booting Ford was a smart (maybe necessary) thing for CC to do.

Spicoli
02-02-07, 11:41 PM
agreed.

Sir_Robert_Peel
02-03-07, 12:09 AM
FedEx paid $5 mil a year, and they thought it was a steal. Ford had to make cash on its $1 mil investment.

Insomniac
02-03-07, 11:27 AM
FedEx paid $5 mil a year, and they thought it was a steal. Ford had to make cash on its $1 mil investment.

FedEx didn't make it anywhere close to the end of their 5yr/$25M series sponsorship deal. I doubt they thought it was a steal when they pulled out.

Insomniac
02-03-07, 11:28 AM
By ChampCar.That's a Dan Davis quote from Autoweek. Further proof I think that Ford had been getting the best part of the deal for some time and CC is looking for a better ($$) manufacturer partner. The AR1 story estimated CC was "getting a paltry $1 million for the Ford Hot Laps program, the Blue Oval stickers and almost nothing else." I think many of us suspected that was the case and booting Ford was a smart (maybe necessary) thing for CC to do.

I just wonder about these things. I guess without being on the inside, we'll never know who dumped who. Was CC looking for a new partner and Ford got wind and dumped them publicly first? Did Ford decide they needed the money for executives and now CC is scrambling and feeding the media their version?

NismoZ
02-03-07, 11:45 AM
Exactly. Always fun to speculate and I think your 1st scenerio is closer to the truth. Only time will tell if bringing in Mazda (or?) will improve things. I hope a Mazda deal shows a healthy increase over the Ford deal, whatever it was. If Fed Ex had a 5yr. $25 million agreement I'm reading where Budweiser is shelling out 25 million for "just" one game!

TravelGal
02-03-07, 01:07 PM
I just wonder about these things. I guess without being on the inside, we'll never know who dumped who. Was CC looking for a new partner and Ford got wind and dumped them publicly first? Did Ford decide they needed the money for executives and now CC is scrambling and feeding the media their version?

Agreed that we'll never know but I guess I'm already confused. It's a busy time of year for me so I don't read all the posts but what I first read was everyone with their panties in a wad because CCWS was SO STUPID as to dump Ford. Are you saying that Ford first dumped CCWS?

What I read was quotes from Ford saying how agrieved they were and they wanted to do MORE but CCWS dumped them. Did further info change that scenario?

Insomniac
02-03-07, 02:18 PM
Agreed that we'll never know but I guess I'm already confused. It's a busy time of year for me so I don't read all the posts but what I first read was everyone with their panties in a wad because CCWS was SO STUPID as to dump Ford. Are you saying that Ford first dumped CCWS?

What I read was quotes from Ford saying how agrieved they were and they wanted to do MORE but CCWS dumped them. Did further info change that scenario?

I understood it to be Ford dumped them from the RM article here (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/34990/). The reasoning seems quite stupid though. I mean, would Stoddart be paying to show off the two-seaters? Seems quite costly.

TravelGal
02-05-07, 02:54 PM
I understood it to be Ford dumped them from the RM article here (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/34990/). The reasoning seems quite stupid though. I mean, would Stoddart be paying to show off the two-seaters? Seems quite costly.

Thanks. I had not read that one. I only saw quotes elsewhere about Ford being initially disappointed. Real quotes with people's name attached. Guess those were right and RM was wrong.

robot9000
02-05-07, 03:15 PM
Ford giving ONLY $1M. Okay, fine, but that seems to be $1M more then CC is getting now.

The Faithfull were all about loyality. They were ready to string up AJA because of it. But CC dumps Ford and thats okay. Where is the loyality now? This is the same Ford that stood by them when the others ran for the hills when the going got tough. The same Ford that said they wanted to EXPAND their involvement?

I dunno. CC has a history of dumb moves and this just seems like another one. Maybe they might get somebody that will bring in some big $$ and exposure. I really hope they do. But I just don't see the upside of Ford leaving right now.

pferrf1
02-05-07, 06:20 PM
Ford was paying more than $1M in total into the series. If anyone was in Toronto last year you'd know how much Ford was investing at that race. Does anyone also thingk Ford got all the TV commercials during CCWS telecasts for free?

There are two issues with Ford. Firstly -all the execs that were in support of CCWS are gone now. They resigned last fall. The new management team has no interest in upping their participation. How can you justify the expense if you've just lost $12 Billion and are downsizing aggressively.

Related to that, is seems the main value that Dan Davis pointed to was the hot laps program. That was a good program that got their customers 'activated' into the race and race weekend.

This move only makes sense however if you have a better sponsor in hand for 2007.

My two cents: the 8 car two seater program that Stoddart has is very cool. See video of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5tkdmYxHLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ4KIlTvIuo

Lets say, for example that CCWS has a new series sponsor on board for 2007 and beyond as has been rumoured.

Lets also say that the two seater race and/or hot laps program is included in that sponsorship.

Let's also say that the 8 car two-seater program is used as a sponsorhip selling tool.

I would say that altogether, dropping Ford, would make sense over the long run if you a) have a replacement sponsor and b) could maximize value from the two-seaters which Ford would have prohibited in favour of their own hot-laps program.