PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting/ National Signing Day 2007

skaven
02-02-07, 06:00 PM
Well, once again the Gators are NUMBER ONE ! ! !

1. (5) Florida
ESPN 150 prospects: 12

2. (1) Notre Dame
ESPN 150 prospects: 10

3. (2) Texas
ESPN 150 prospects: 11

4. (4) South Carolina
ESPN 150 prospects: 8

5. (3) USC

6. (7) Tennessee
ESPN 150 prospects: 7

7. (6) LSU
ESPN 150 prospects: 6

8. (-) Auburn
ESPN 150 prospects: 5

9. (8) Georgia

10. (10) Illinois
ESPN 150 prospects: 4

ESPN Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/columns/story?columnist=luginbill_tom&id=2738848)

I'm getting use to this global domination. :)

Also, 6 SEC teams in the top 10 (4 in the SEC East) along with Texas, USC, Notre Dame and Illinois (Zook can recruit, but can't coach worth a damn). And this is coming from ESPN which, according to their own employees, has a clear Big 10 bias. W00t ! ! !

SEC Speed Babee ! ! !

It should be noted that UF was bumped to #1 with Bert Reed in the fold. Looks like he's going to FSU... but we'll make up for with some surprises of our own... RoJo anyone???

Ankf00
02-02-07, 06:12 PM
have fun with a sophmore QB who can't throw :gomer:

skaven
02-02-07, 06:43 PM
have fun with a sophmore QB who can't throw :gomer:

Cool... the two of us'll have our own thread. :gomer:

Here's hoping his arm (when needed) will be a pleasant surprise. Doesn't have to be the next VY. He did set Florida high school records for passing yards, so he might surprise you.

Besides, we have your QB Brantley coming in. :p ... and... Cam Newton who is a faster version of the Tebow.

Crikey, put Tebow in a fullback, Brantley at QB and Newton at RB and let the fireworks begin. I think most of our O-Line is coming back, so I think our offense will be much better than last year. It will have to be as we are losing 9 starters on defense.

Meyer is putting a heck of a program together. If they played in any other conference, they'd be in the title game nearly every year going forward a la USC west. :thumbup:

Ankf00
02-02-07, 07:02 PM
If they played in any other conference, they'd be in the title game nearly every year going forward a la USC west. :thumbup:

you're one legit DE from choking while hosting South Carolina :p

Mack brought in the #1 OL class by far and #2 DL class behind you. We're stacked at DT as is but it only gets better now, our interior line is rebuilt next season but with our offense probably opening up even further next year it will lessen the impact.

USC has a small class and still has an avg 4.25+* haul :eek: Good thing their coordinators suck :laugh:

skaven
02-02-07, 07:20 PM
you're one legit DE from choking while hosting South Carolina :p

Mack brought in the #1 OL class by far and #2 DL class behind you. We're stacked at DT as is but it only gets better now, our interior line is rebuilt next season but with our offense probably opening up even further next year it will lessen the impact.

USC has a small class and still has an avg 4.25+* haul :eek: Good thing their coordinators suck :laugh:

USC East (South Carolina) with Spurrier almost had us. With his recruiting class (#4 right behind Texas), they are going to be a force to be reckoned with until he gets bored and moves on or retires.

With another strong class, Texas has no excuse if they lose to Kansas State next year... look out for Nebraska, eh?

Lastly, with the field goal block that kept our season alive, I wonder why more teams (with rosters so big in college) don't bring in guys like Joakim Noah to block kicks?

Ankf00
02-02-07, 09:04 PM
Noah would be blown off the line. It's not about ups, that only comes into play with 45+ yd line drive fg's, it's about penetration. No one short of Glenn Davis is going to run over a lineman on a legit D1A team.

and fyi: the kids signing tomorrow have absolutely nothing to do with next year aside from a couple of kids.

coolhand
02-02-07, 09:18 PM
USC does not have many scholarships to offer this year.

Also Urban Myer has how many kids who decommitted from other schools?
James Wilson from SC
Brantly from Texas
Justin Trattou from Notre Dame.

Ankf00
02-02-07, 09:20 PM
USC does not have many scholarships to offer this year.

thus the small recruiting class :gomer:

Also Urban Myer has how many kids who decommitted from other schools? immaterial, that's just part of the game.

Wheel-Nut
02-02-07, 09:48 PM
Who did Pearland's Proctor sign with?

Ankf00
02-02-07, 10:05 PM
zero U

skaven
02-02-07, 11:02 PM
Also Urban Myer has how many kids who decommitted from other schools?
James Wilson from SC
Brantly from Texas
Justin Trattou from Notre Dame.

If you can't beat us, join us. :gomer:

There are at least two top quality recruits that were committed to Florida that are going to defect. It is part of the system.

Regarding the above list, I'm not sure why Brantley left Texas (esp. to go to a spread option team as he seems to be more of a drop back passer), but James Wilson blocked for Tebow in high school and switched in large part to be with his old teammate (not that Tebow needs lead blockers, but that's another topic ;) ). I understand Notre Dame is switching to a 3-4 which might be affecting Trattou's commitment. Also, what D lineman wouldn't want to play for Florida with the attacking style they play.

Honk if you sacked Troy Smith. :D

Wheel-Nut
02-03-07, 12:34 PM
zero U

You would think the zero U faithful would be here, pounding chests, embacing the coup of stealing one of the top Texas prospects!!

I guess the national championship game was their Groundhog Day, six more weeks of not being #1 . . .

Ankf00
02-03-07, 01:08 PM
between Ben Wells and Curtis Brown we have two of the best DB's in the country, and the two best in Texas

0u has a s***** class coming in again. stoops has been exposed. even mike gundy is out-recruiting him

Badger
02-03-07, 02:50 PM
The thing about recruiting is how hard it is to predict the upside of high school football players. I was looking at Wisconsins recruits from a few years ago, and some of the best players came in at only one or two stars, and some guys who never crack the starting lineup came in with 4. Still, given the preference, I'm happy the Badgers landed thier in state stud John Clay. He should be another in the long line of great Badger RBs.

Ankf00
02-03-07, 06:22 PM
it is somewhat of a crapshoot, some players don't pan out and others rise above. Colt McCoy was a 3* b/c he played 2A ball, yet he's convinced 2 blue chips to stay out of Austin (Snead and Elite 11 MVP Brantley) after tying the freshman record for TD passes. Nathan Vasher was a 3* and he's playing for the Bears in the Super Bowl, 1st round pick.

However, look at the teams who have win BCS bowls and natl titles, compare their recruiting and depth to the teams who remain mediocre. VY #1 qb in the country, Adrian Peterson was considered the best Texas running back since Earl Campbell and he certainly lived up to it. Recruiting does matter. It's not 100% correct, the NFL draft isn't 100% correct, but the top teams have many more hits than misses, and that's why they're the top teams.

Badger
02-04-07, 11:47 AM
Looking at Wisconsins 2005 class (still a little early to determine its impact), only two names have made an impact. One was Travis Beckam, a five star recruit at DE end who last year was one of the best Tight Ends in the country. He was a DE who couldn't bulk up the way they thought he would so he moved to the TE position.

The other was a two star recruit name PJ Hill who had a heck of a sophomore season (1500+ yds rushing).

As far as the big programs having more hits than misses, I'm not sure that is the case. The difference is when Ohio state misses with a five star recruit, they probably have a 3 or 4 star to take his place. When Wisconsin misses on a big time recruit, the dropoff is often to a 2 star or less recruit. Fortunately, they play the game on the field and Wisconsin has done much better there, than they have in the recruitment rankings.

Wheel-Nut
02-04-07, 02:07 PM
zero U

I read the paper this morning, I thought you were talking about tOSU. :laugh:

Ankf00
02-04-07, 10:52 PM
As far as the big programs having more hits than misses, I'm not sure that is the case. The difference is when Ohio state misses with a five star recruit, they probably have a 3 or 4 star to take his place. When Wisconsin misses on a big time recruit, the dropoff is often to a 2 star or less recruit. Fortunately, they play the game on the field and Wisconsin has done much better there, than they have in the recruitment rankings.

5*'s only is not really my point though. it was that recruiting rankings reflect the quality of a roster overall. not 100% of course, but to a large degree. this also applies to 4, 3, 2*'s. USC almost exclusively recruits 5 & 4*'s, they have a few 3*'s every class, their results speak for themselves. Troy Smith was the last scholarship offer of his tOSU class, but players overcoming like that aren't the norm. guys like Leak, Harvin, Cornelius Ingram, Reggie Nelson, Brandon Siler, Andre Caldwell, Marcus Thomas, Jarvis Moss were all legit blue chips, 5 & 4*'s and all were impact players on this year's UF squad.

In the end the overacheivers and misses average out, those who recruit better end up doing better over the long haul, all things equal. Reload vs. rebuild

I read the paper this morning, I thought you were talking about tOSU. :laugh: :laugh: :D

coolhand
02-04-07, 11:40 PM
Michigan just landed the top CB from Cali

Sc just landed the top CB from Michigan

coolhand
02-04-07, 11:43 PM
USC almost exclusively recruits 5 & 4*'s, they have a few 3*'s every class, their results speak for themselves.

That is proof alone that 4 & 5 stars bust. At least half, sometimes do to injury, bad luck, the new kid does better or coaching Changes. A lot of recruits on Defense who were recruited by Orgeron were not too happy with the new Defensive coaches with the 3-4 D.

Ankf00
02-05-07, 12:13 AM
That is proof alone that 4 & 5 stars bust. At least half, sometimes do to injury, bad luck, the new kid does better or coaching Changes. A lot of recruits on Defense who were recruited by Orgeron were not too happy with the new Defensive coaches with the 3-4 D.

USC has been in the title hunt until the very last week of the season for the past 4 seasons. I wouldn't call that "bust" by any strech of imagination.

coolhand
02-05-07, 12:35 AM
USC has been in the title hunt until the very last week of the season for the past 4 seasons. I wouldn't call that "bust" by any strech of imagination.

I was not talking about the classes, I was saying that some individuals who were 4 & 5s have turned out to be busts for various reasons. Or just some other players in these classes were underrated who turned out to be better. Some big time recruits SC brought in turned out not to be what they were promised. Don't get me wrong, SC has been good because of our recruiting, recruiting it almost everything in CFB.

coolhand
02-05-07, 12:44 AM
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=880&CID=637245

Here is an article talking about the same thing we are.

jcollins28
02-05-07, 11:14 AM
Pretty strong effort for coach Karl...:shakehead Nice hire on getting the offensive coordinator from Nebraska :rolleyes:. Did Dorrell even watch any UN games last year?

skaven
02-05-07, 11:59 AM
Sc just landed the top CB from Michigan

:flame: Darn, we needed some RoJo... :flame:

Ankf00
02-05-07, 12:29 PM
just pulled another stud DB, Christian Scott, 4*, the last uncommitted big prospect in-state. Sucks to be 0u, their last 2 classes have been horrendous, missing on all the big recruits south of the Red.

Ankf00
02-05-07, 12:52 PM
Texas state top 100: http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1542&Year=2007

Mack has the state locked down, much like Carroll wrt SoCal

Rivals top 250 per team, 234 committed, 16 left uncommitted.

Texas - 18
Florida - 16
LSU - 14
Southern Cal - 13
Notre Dame - 11
South Carolina - 9
Oregon - 9
Ohio State - 9
Auburn - 8
Georgia Tech - 8
Tennessee - 8
UCLA - 6
Georgia - 6
Clemson - 6
Oklahoma - 5
Michigan - 5
Alabama - 5
Illinois - 5
Penn State - 5
Nebraska - 4
Wisconsin - 4
Miami - 4
Ole Miss - 4
Oklahoma State - 4
Florida State - 3
Iowa - 3
Virginia Tech - 3
Texas A&M - 3
Virginia - 3
Arizona - 3
Michigan State - 3
Pittsburgh - 3
North Carolina - 3
Boston College - 2
Maryland - 2
California - 2
Colorado - 2
Mississippi State - 2
Rutgers - 2
West Virginia - 1
Kentucky - 1
North Carolina State - 1
Missouri - 1
Minnesota - 1
Washington - 1
Indiana - 1
Baylor - 1

Ankf00
02-05-07, 01:08 PM
San Diego Union Tribune article about recruiting, compares recruiting vs. poll rankings

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_football/20070205-9999-lz1s5recruit.html

While all the hype surrounding him is making at least two Web sites rich, top recruits don't live up to their billings on those sites about 40 percent of the time, according to analyses by The San Diego Union-Tribune and a national recruiting expert.

“It's predicting the future, so you're never going to get it all right,” said Scott Kennedy, director of online programming for Scout.com, a Web site that sells updates and rankings of college sports recruits. “Even in the NFL, many first-round draft picks go bust.”

In college, when recruits go bust, coaches do too.

Just ask fans of Miami, Alabama, North Carolina and North Carolina State.

Their coaches were fired after this past season for failing to live up to the hype of all the high school talent they had recruited over the previous five Februarys. Those four teams and eight others amassed a cumulative top 25 recruiting ranking for the previous five years, according to Rivals.com and Scout.com – only to finish unranked with all that talent last season. Five of those 12 unranked teams had losing records.

Andrew Longman
02-07-07, 01:37 PM
Rutgers lands all world OL recruit Anthony Davis who rejects tOSU, USC and 50 other schools.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1170826547168510.xml&coll=1

Best recruiting year in history, ranked 23rd by some.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1170826502168510.xml&coll=1

:D

National Letter of Intent was never very relevant in this part of the country

coolhand
02-07-07, 01:42 PM
Rutgers lands all world OL recruit Anthony Davis who rejects tOSU, USC and 50 other schools.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1170826547168510.xml&coll=1

Best recruiting year in history, ranked 23rd by some.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1170826502168510.xml&coll=1

:D

National Letter of Intent was never very relevant in this part of the country

USC usually lands the big recruits out of NJ
Brian Cushing
Dwayne Jarret

Ankf00
02-07-07, 01:55 PM
that must explain why USC has Myron Rolle, Eugene Monroe, Brian Toal, Greg Olsen, and Nathan Robinson. Wait, they don't. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
02-07-07, 02:18 PM
USC usually lands the big recruits out of NJ
Brian Cushing
Dwayne Jarret

And Jersey usually gets none.

According to Rivals.com, Rutgers landed four of the top 10 players in New Jersey -- No. 2 Davis, No. 4 Manny Abreu of Union Hill, No. 7 Mason Robinson of Somerville and No. 10 Keith Newell of Trenton Central -- and nine of the top 30.

"They are getting three of the top eight SuperPrep All-Americans in New Jersey. That's unheard of for Rutgers. I don't care if it's USC in Los Angeles or Florida State or Florida in Florida. If you get three of the top eight players in your area, you're doing something right."

Schiano has done amazing work.

Andrew Longman
02-07-07, 02:28 PM
San Diego Union Tribune article about recruiting, compares recruiting vs. poll rankings

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_football/20070205-9999-lz1s5recruit.html

That's a pretty believable article. There is no way to fully and properly assess all the HS talent in the entire nation. Have you read Blind Side? It talks (among other things) about the origins of ranking HS football talent and how it started with a guy, sleeping in his car, traveling the nation to interview and assess talent then publishing his report for subscribers.

That's why I think it is important and more effective for a college coach to have a network of local HS coaches he can work with to assess and feed him players. Its just too hard and inefficient to recuit nationally, but that means it is all the more important to find and keep the local talent.

coolhand
02-07-07, 03:50 PM
that must explain why USC has Myron Rolle, Eugene Monroe, Brian Toal, Greg Olsen, and Nathan Robinson. Wait, they don't. :gomer:

I have only heard of rolle

coolhand
02-07-07, 03:51 PM
And Jersey usually gets none.

Schiano has done amazing work.

Good for Rutgers, Holding down your home state recruits is huge

Ankf00
02-07-07, 03:59 PM
that's because Rolle was the only one of those Jersey 5 stars in recent years that USC was in on late in the game

Andrew Longman
02-07-07, 04:13 PM
Good for Rutgers, Holding down your home state recruits is huge

I think you'll come to hear of Mason Robinson. I saw him play against Delaware Valley and he destroyed them almost by himself. In the rain I swear he was still the fastest back I've ever seen. And he looked almost bored doing it.

But RU is recruiting him more for his all around athleticism than as a back. If he grows expect him at WR. If not then DB or RB depending on the depth elsewhere on the team. They want him on the field.

coolhand
02-07-07, 05:40 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AtCpHzjmCGc.7BYRINyg3zQ5nYcB?slug=dw-recruit020607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Wetzel thinks we got mcknight because we bought him

coolhand
02-07-07, 05:44 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=166#S=166&F=1419&T=86997

Cal fans making fun of UCLA's academic excuse for poor recruiting

Ankf00
02-07-07, 05:52 PM
UCLA admissions are no more competitive than Texas. And seriously, Cal, duh...

Ankf00
02-07-07, 05:56 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AtCpHzjmCGc.7BYRINyg3zQ5nYcB?slug=dw-recruit020607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Wetzel thinks we got mcknight because we bought him

between the VY "guarantee" article last year and this, you suck at reading comp...

he's saying it should be legal for anyone to help him out b/c of his situation

dando
02-07-07, 10:39 PM
Well, once again the Gators are NUMBER ONE ! ! !

1. (5) Florida
ESPN 150 prospects: 12

2. (1) Notre Dame
ESPN 150 prospects: 10

3. (2) Texas
ESPN 150 prospects: 11

4. (4) South Carolina

5. (3) USC

6. (7) Tennessee

7. (6) LSU
ESPN 150 prospects: 6

8. (-) Auburn
ESPN 150 prospects: 5

9. (8) Georgia

10. (10) Illinois
ESPN 150 prospects: 4

ESPN Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/columns/story?columnist=luginbill_tom&id=2738848)

I'm getting use to this global domination. :)

Also, 6 SEC teams in the top 10 (4 in the SEC East) along with Texas, USC, Notre Dame and Illinois (Zook can recruit, but can't coach worth a damn). And this is coming from ESPN which, according to their own employees, has a clear Big 10 bias. W00t ! ! !

SEC Speed Babee ! ! !

It should be noted that UF was bumped to #1 with Bert Reed in the fold. Looks like he's going to FSU... but we'll make up for with some surprises of our own... RoJo anyone???

Counting chickens? :gomer:

Recruiting class rankings are worse than pre-season polls, IMHO. Every year the local rag writes a story on where are they now for some past class w/in the past ten years, and it's amazing to read about the kids that transferred, left early and amounted to nothing, and in some cases just never enrolled due to grades/course requirements.

Crap like the mugging these kids do @ the US Army game really turns me off of the whole process, no matter who is or is not declaring for The OSU. A recent example is Ronald Johnson from the state up north. He announced this past weekend @ his church of all places. He was expected to declare for UM, but rumors swirled the week before that Carr skipped a last-minute visit amidst more rumors of a riff with his mother. In any case, he shows up @ the church wearing a scarlet & gray tie, picks up an OSU T-shirt, and then tosses it aside. He then declares for USC. Nice scene to have @ a church. :shakehead

Sorry, but I refuse to get hyped about this shizzle period...no matter if The OSU is top five or mid-teenies, like this year.

re: OSU's class, they have some really solid prospects (on paper), and have stashed a ton of scholarships for the junior class bonanza that is expected next year. Another reason not to read too much in class rankings. YMMV.

I suspect that losing out to the Scarlet Letter on the OL from NJ was the biggest disappointment of the class, outside of maybe Major Wright (S) from FL.

-Kevin

coolhand
02-08-07, 01:27 AM
I admit the recruiting process is stupid.
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2007/0207/070207_signingday_412.jpg

dando
02-08-07, 06:44 PM
A piece by the Trib about all of the carping going about recruiting kids who have committed. No doubt in my mind that this process needs to be reformed, and stricter guidelines put in place.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/other_sports/16650632.htm

Gottfried's blind defense of Zooker clearly goes to show the lack of objectivity of E$PN. :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
02-08-07, 06:59 PM
:laugh:

John L [SECOND HALF OF NAME REDACTED] and Jabba are just pissy.

the guidelines are strict enough, an early signing period ala bball and ban on txt messages is all that's needed.