PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Bowl XLI

rabbit
02-02-07, 04:29 PM
So as not to clutter up G's poll thread, let's kick off (pun intended) the Super Bowl XLI commercial discussion with the preview of the Nationwide K-Fed commercial(s).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S19E0BykO5w

Andrew Longman
02-02-07, 04:44 PM
I understand the International French Fryers Association (or some such thing) is protesting this ad because it disses their profession. Seriously.

Can't we all just get along?

rabbit
02-02-07, 04:51 PM
I understand the International French Fryers Association (or some such thing) is protesting this ad because it disses their profession. Seriously.

Can't we all just get along?

K-Fed apologizes for ad (http://www.itv.com/news/entertainment_ec6eb476a86285dd851617fcd38b5748.htm l) :rolleyes:

Gangrel
02-02-07, 04:56 PM
K-Fed apologizes for ad (http://www.itv.com/news/entertainment_ec6eb476a86285dd851617fcd38b5748.htm l) :rolleyes:

Oh, come on....like K-Fed hasn't before or won't soon once again flipped burgers. Isn't that his main professional skill set? He's a natural!!! :rolleyes:

Andrew Longman
02-02-07, 05:15 PM

K-Fed has more than that to apologize for.

Actually he's just worried someone will pee in his Pepsi the next time he's at the drive thru.

And he can't risk alienating any more of his fans.

TKGAngel
02-05-07, 09:15 AM
So, what did everyone think of the ads?

My favorites were:

- the Blockbuster one with the guinea pig, rabbit and mouse
- the Bud Light one with "No Speak English"
- the Chevy one ending with Dale Jr singing at the end.

Did anyone else notice the Princess of Pout in the godaddy.com commercial?

nrc
02-05-07, 09:53 AM
K-Fed has more than that to apologize for.

Actually he's just worried someone will pee in his Pepsi the next time he's at the drive thru.

And he can't risk alienating any more of his fans.

He has fans? :/ What? Helping a former hot chick find her inner trailer trash?

Sean O'Gorman
02-05-07, 09:54 AM
- the Bud Light one with "No Speak English"

Carlos Mencia doing a race-related bit? How original. :rolleyes:

TKGAngel
02-05-07, 09:56 AM

So I'm easily amused, sue me. :\

nrc
02-05-07, 10:06 AM
I thought most of the ads were unworthy of the Super Bowl. The Doritos fan submitted ad was one of the best. Robert Goulet messing with your stuff was pretty clever. Also the Chevy ad with the car wash guys.

nrc
02-05-07, 10:15 AM

Kind of like a Grand Am troll from SOG, ay?

TiVo Highlights:
The top ten rated commercials of this year's game were:
1. Bud Light: Language Course with Carlos Mencia
2. Bud Light: Rock Paper Scissors
3. FedEx: Don't Judge
4. Nationwide: Kevin Federline Rollin' VIP
5. Doritos Crash the Super Bowl
6. CareerBuilder: Office Jungle
7. Blockbuster: Mouse
8. Doritos Crash The Super Bowl: Checkout Girl
9. Chevrolet: Everybody Loves a Chevy
10. Schick: Quarto Science
http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_ge.jsp?news_id=cmt-036p4727&feed=cmt&date=20070205

KLang
02-05-07, 10:43 AM
Did anyone else notice the Princess of Pout in the godaddy.com commercial?

If you blinked at the wrong time you would have missed it.

My favorites:
Bud Light auction wedding
Doritos crash (was this the fan submitted one?)
Blockbuster mouse
Bud light apes
The Coke machine was very clever.

Anyone else think we will be reading stories about kids playing rock, paper....

rosawendel
02-05-07, 10:50 AM
i'm pretty sure i've seen the coke machine one before...

sadams
02-05-07, 10:57 AM
My Favorites
1) Blockbuster mouse
2) Bud Light Axe
3) Bud Light Dog
4) Bud Light Crabs

Didn't quite get the Careerbuilder ones.

Sean O'Gorman
02-05-07, 11:16 AM
Anyone else think we will be reading stories about kids playing rock, paper....

rock, scissors, ,,,,,

Andrew Longman
02-05-07, 11:32 AM
Slightly OT...

...Did anyone else think Prince just sucked? WTF with the Aunt Jemimah doo rag?

IlliniRacer
02-05-07, 12:13 PM
I missed quite a few commercials recycling my Schlafy's Pale Ale. Where was the Danicle Go Daddy commercial everyone on "another" forum were hyping?

BTW, the Go Daddy commercial was WAY lame.

Ankf00
02-05-07, 12:14 PM
Prince kicked ass, old man. :p

career builder jungle were my favs, don't remember half the ones mentioned on this thread but I was asleep the entire 2nd quarter so *shrug*

KLang
02-05-07, 12:29 PM
Here (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/postseason/superads) is a link to the ads.

Ankf00
02-05-07, 12:31 PM
:thumbup:

extramundane
02-05-07, 12:46 PM
Prince kicked ass, old man. :p

Wrong verb.

G.
02-05-07, 12:59 PM
Didn't quite get the Careerbuilder ones.Never been through a performance review, I take it...

;)

Andrew Longman
02-05-07, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=Ankf00;185041]Prince kicked ass, old man. :p[QUOTE]

Prince is the old man. My kids kept going on about how he was faking the guitar solos. I guess I've raised them right with a healthy dose of Stevey Ray Vaughn

But then I never got Prince even when we both were young. I really don't care whether doves cry or not.

Ankf00
02-05-07, 01:22 PM
compared to the usual tripe the NFL parades out, in that context only... that and I just really wanted to say "old man." :)

but the fake guitar play was funny.

Dr. Corkski
02-05-07, 01:40 PM
Prince is no KFed when it comes to lyris. :gomer:

Ankf00
02-05-07, 01:58 PM
Terry Tate don't play that.

nrc
02-05-07, 02:23 PM
Prince kicked ass, old man. :p[QUOTE]

Prince is the old man. My kids kept going on about how he was faking the guitar solos. I guess I've raised them right with a healthy dose of Stevey Ray Vaughn

But then I never got Prince even when we both were young. I really don't care whether doves cry or not.

Sounds like you're confusing whether you like the music with whether the guy has talent. What leads you to conclude that the guitar playing was fake?

The guy went out in a driving rain and did a commendable job of running a full gamut of musical styles. Not the best performance but darn good has Super Bowl halftimes go.

Prince's Super Bowl Press conference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a1AegGKjY0

oddlycalm
02-05-07, 02:44 PM
Sounds like you're confusing whether you like the music with whether the guy has talent. What leads you to conclude that the guitar playing was fake? Gotta agree Richard, I'm not a Prince fan but the guy has serious talent. Why would he fake solos he could play in his sleep? :confused:

oc

KLang
02-05-07, 02:59 PM
Not a Prince fan but he didn't really suck IMO.

At least there was no wardrobe malfunction. :)

devilmaster
02-05-07, 03:31 PM
At least there was no wardrobe malfunction. :)

True, but I'm sure that someone is complainin about the silhouette image ;)

Ankf00
02-05-07, 03:36 PM
the protestations of multiple christian groups have seen to it that the snicker's ad will never be aired again. also the ending that was shown was an alternate, not sure what the original was yet

Andrew Longman
02-05-07, 04:16 PM
What leads you to conclude that the guitar playing was fake?

How about having neither hand on the guitar at several points while the riff continued. Not the first time in Super Bowl history the acts have been recorded. Whitney Houston 1990 National Anthem was supposedly lipsynched (really well though).

I don't have it in for Prince. People with more musical talent than I says he has talent.

But his greatest talent seems to be self promotion and excess window dressing around his music. I prefer my music, like most things, straight up with nothing to hide the true note.

Plenty disagree with me though.

Specifically about last night, the sound seemed to be off and the whole act seemed a bit ragged. Then again CBS seemed to go the whole game without wiping the rain off the camera lenses. Maybe it wasn't Prince.

TKGAngel
02-05-07, 05:12 PM
the protestations of multiple christian groups have seen to it that the snicker's ad will never be aired again. also the ending that was shown was an alternate, not sure what the original was yet

Oh, for the love of everything holy. Instead of trying to be the moral police for the nation, how bout these groups let people decide for themselves what is offensive. I hardly doubt that the youth of America will be traumatized for life by seeing two guys end up in a goofy almost kissing position. :irked:

Whitney Houston 1990 National Anthem was supposedly lipsynched (really well though).

I had no idea she lip synched. Excellent version that has not been matched, IMO.

TrueBrit
02-05-07, 05:14 PM
I had no idea she lip synched. Excellent version that has not been matched, IMO.

It gave me goosebumps and I'm a Brit....!!

Gangrel
02-05-07, 05:21 PM
How about having neither hand on the guitar at several points while the riff continued.

Second that motion! I actually walked out of the room pre-halftime show, but walked back in in the middle of the performance. During the 2 minutes I did watch, he did an air-guitar style windmill, moving his strumming hand wide and away from the strings. As he stood there, with the neck of the guitar in one hand and his other hand stretched out to the side, the guitar continued to play a riff. Unless you folks really believe he has some type of supernatural ability with the guitar, it was obviously recorded. As soon as I saw this, I got up and walked out of the room. Puppy Bowl was a far better show that Prince was.

nrc
02-05-07, 05:28 PM
How about having neither hand on the guitar at several points while the riff continued. Not the first time in Super Bowl history the acts have been recorded. Whitney Houston 1990 National Anthem was supposedly lipsynched (really well though).

Never saw that, and I was watching. I saw him play riffs with one hand on the neck, but never with no hands.

nrc
02-05-07, 05:47 PM
As he stood there, with the neck of the guitar in one hand and his other hand stretched out to the side, the guitar continued to play a riff.
Good guitar players can play riffs one handed on the neck. The only times I heard riffs with no hand on the body of the guitar it was a riff that could be played on the neck.

Another point here is if he were going to fake it, why not fake a better performance? It was good, but not great and it seemed rough in all the places you would expect under the circumstances.

Gangrel
02-05-07, 05:58 PM
Good guitar players can play riffs one handed on the neck. The only times I heard riffs with no hand on the body of the guitar it was a riff that could be played on the neck.

Another point here is if he were going to fake it, why not fake a better performance? It was good, but not great and it seemed rough in all the places you would expect under the circumstances.

I don't play guitar, but intuitively, what I heard I could not imagine being played without a hand on the body of the guitar. I heard strings being struck. If I am wrong, then hats off to him, but until I see otherwise, I am calling BS on this one...

B3RACER1a
02-05-07, 06:10 PM
Back to the commercials:

I liked the Garmin "Maposaurus" commerical the best. Its not even rated on there...:confused:

KLang
02-05-07, 06:46 PM
Back to the commercials:

I liked the Garmin "Maposaurus" commerical the best. Its not even rated on there...:confused:

The Garmin ad didn't make any sense to me. :confused:

nrc
02-05-07, 06:50 PM
The Garmin ad didn't make any sense to me. :confused:
Do you remember UltraMan?

KLang
02-05-07, 06:59 PM
Do you remember UltraMan?

Japanese series from the 60's? Boy I must have killed off those brain cells somewhere along the way. :gomer:

Stu
02-05-07, 07:01 PM
ref: the guitar.

i had 11 people crammed in a small room so I couldn't focus totally, but I am pretty sure that one of the band members was also playing guitar.

just dont ask me to rewatch that :irked:

devilmaster
02-05-07, 08:32 PM
I'm still trying to figger out who thought the robot suicide commercial was a good idea.......

KLang
02-06-07, 07:49 AM

CNN had a story on about it last night except it was the gay rights groups complaining.

Ankf00
02-06-07, 01:12 PM
CNN had a story on about it last night except it was the gay rights groups complaining.

if you've got both sides bitching, you know you did something right :D

Ankf00
02-06-07, 01:24 PM
afterthekiss.com

it's off the website now, bastards. alternate: they were chugging motor oil :D

grungex
02-06-07, 01:38 PM
afterthekiss.com

it's off the website now, bastards. alternate: they were chugging motor oil :D

You can still see it here:

ifilm (http://www.ifilm.com/video/2819686)

KLang
02-06-07, 01:47 PM
With the extra exposure, I'd say snickers got their moneys worth out of the ad.

G.
02-06-07, 02:01 PM
You can still see it here:

ifilm (http://www.ifilm.com/video/2819686)missed that one live, but the oldest g. did ask me about it...

Guess he's scarred for life.

Any lawyers here? Unscrupulous ones?

rabbit
02-06-07, 02:54 PM
I didn't think the Snickers ad was even funny. The first thing I thought when I saw it was that it was a weak copy of the Planes, Trains and Automobiles wake-up scene. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgRx-St5ibM) Now that was funny. Snickers? Not so much.

devilmaster
02-06-07, 04:06 PM
Any lawyers here? Unscrupulous ones?

That's kinda redundant.....

sry nappy, spickly, and whoever else.... ;)