View Full Version : Boom

KLang
01-31-07, 02:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMG2SBwIcrM

There was a TV satellite at the top. :saywhat:

devilmaster
01-31-07, 02:14 PM
wow. even the guys at peenemunde got some vertical when they tested :eek:

That thing didn't look like it even moved. Just sunk.

Ankf00
01-31-07, 02:29 PM
Sea Launch is a spacecraft launch service that uses a mobile sea platform for equatorial launches of commercial payloads on specialized Zenit 3SL rockets. As of January 2007 it had assembled and launched 24 rockets with two failures and one partial failure.

The sea-based launch system means the rockets can be fired from the optimum position on Earth's surface, considerably increasing payload capacity and reducing launch costs compared to land-based systems.

The Sea Launch consortium of four companies from the United States, Russia, Ukraine and Norway, was established in 1995 and their first rocket was launched in March 1999. It is managed by Boeing with participation from the other shareholders. [1] [2]

All commercial payloads have been communications satellites intended for geostationary transfer orbit with such customers as EchoStar, DirecTV, XM Satellite Radio, and PanAmSat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Launch

I guess next time they won't buy Ukrainian :gomer:

RichK
01-31-07, 02:35 PM
I blame Dirk Pitt.

ChampcarShark
01-31-07, 02:36 PM
:thumbup: :D

KLang
01-31-07, 03:06 PM
I blame Dirk Pitt.

The father or the son? ;)

Gnam
01-31-07, 04:18 PM
[I guess next time they won't buy Ukrainian :gomer:
The Ukraine is strong!

JoeBob
01-31-07, 04:21 PM
http://www.boeing.com/special/sea-launch/current_launch.htm

The Sea Launch Zenit-3SL vehicle, carrying the NSS-8 satellite, experienced an anomaly today during launch operations. All personnel are safe and accounted for. Sea Launch will establish a Failure Review Oversight Board to determine the root cause of this anomaly. Please call the Sea Launch hotline at 800.995.4123 for further information, as it becomes available.

If that was an anomaly, I'd hate to see a malfunction!

KLang
01-31-07, 04:31 PM
I think it's pretty unusual for a commercial launch to blow up on the pad these days, isn't it?

Pretty spectacular anyway.

Glad there wasn't a Dishnetwork bird on there. (need more HD capacity)

Ankf00
01-31-07, 04:36 PM
commercial sats are slapped together in 1-2 years anyway, no biggie. well, unless you're the insurance company...

Insomniac
01-31-07, 04:55 PM
I saw that this might delay other launches in the near future, so HD satelites may be delayed.

Insomniac
01-31-07, 04:56 PM
Sea Launch has a bad day. :rofl:

KLang
01-31-07, 05:39 PM
I saw that this might delay other launches in the near future, so HD satelites may be delayed.

Directv has two launches planned later this year, not sure if they use Sea Launch though. They are promising 100 national HD channels by the end of the year.

Dish just announced a new bird for 2008.

Edit: One of the Directv launches is using Sea Launch. Might put a crimp in their plans for 2007.

nissan gtp
01-31-07, 07:25 PM
Sea Launch = cheaper for a reason

and the satellite is in the sea now, so it worked :D

Insomniac
02-01-07, 09:46 AM
Directv has two launches planned later this year, not sure if they use Sea Launch though. They are promising 100 national HD channels by the end of the year.

Dish just announced a new bird for 2008.

Edit: One of the Directv launches is using Sea Launch. Might put a crimp in their plans for 2007.

Well, DirecTV is going to start charging us all for it on 3/1 regardless. Stupid price hikes, as bad as cable now. Maybe even worse. $3 more and your plan gets grandfathered. If you switch later, you can pay $2 more and get 15 less channels. Woohoo!

chop456
02-01-07, 09:55 AM
I blame Dirk Pitt.

Looks like a copycat accident to me.

I blame Ryan Briscoe.

KLang
02-01-07, 10:30 AM
Well, DirecTV is going to start charging us all for it on 3/1 regardless. Stupid price hikes, as bad as cable now. Maybe even worse. $3 more and your plan gets grandfathered. If you switch later, you can pay $2 more and get 15 less channels. Woohoo!

My monthly Dish bill is supposed to go up $10 a month starting today. Last time I checked our cable couldn't touch Dishes HD selection.

It's all cool as long as the wife doesn't see the bill. ;)

Wheel-Nut
02-01-07, 11:51 AM
Here is what TWC Houston offers for HD.
Not much if you ask me. They also just started charging a $3 a month fee for they're cable modem. Maybe I need to look into Dish or direct TV.

Houston HDTV Channel Lineup
290 HDNET (HD Plus)

291 HDNET Movies (HD Plus)

292 ESPN HD (HD Plus)

293 Universal HD (HD Plus)

295 TNT HD (Standard)

298 HDTV - iN HD (Digital Value)

299 HDTV - iN HD2 (Digital Value)

301 HDTV - Discovery (Standard)

305 HDTV - KHWB WB 39 (Basic)

308 HDTV - KUHT PBS 8 (Basic)

309 HDTV - KRIV FOX 26 (Basic)

311 HDTV - KHOU CBS 11 (Basic)

312 HDTV - KPRC NBC 2 (Basic)

313 HDTV - KTRK ABC 13 (Basic)

460 HDTV - HBO (Premium HDTV)

461 HDTV - HBO West (Premium HDTV)

470 HDTV - Showtime (Premium HDTV)

471 HDTV - Showtime West (Premium HDTV)

Ankf00
02-01-07, 12:12 PM
Time Warner are crooks, just like every other cable co. Even with the price hikes, sat is the way to go

TravelGal
02-01-07, 12:39 PM
If that was an anomaly, I'd hate to see a malfunction!

:rofl: :rofl:

Andrew Longman
02-01-07, 01:24 PM
WTFW the comments on the YouTube link? Am I missing another internet cultural phenomenon?:confused:

Insomniac
02-01-07, 02:03 PM
My monthly Dish bill is supposed to go up $10 a month starting today. Last time I checked our cable couldn't touch Dishes HD selection.

It's all cool as long as the wife doesn't see the bill. ;)

Is it going up that much because you had a promotional rate locked in for a couple years or is it an annual increase?

KLang
02-01-07, 02:55 PM
Is it going up that much because you had a promotional rate locked in for a couple years or is it an annual increase?

A regular increase. I don't think annual though, don't remember an increase last year. Ten bucks is the maximum increase, I'm subscribed to everything but the foreign language stuff.

Wheel-Nut
02-01-07, 02:55 PM
More info on the "Boom".

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/sealaunch/nss8/

Insomniac
02-01-07, 05:10 PM
A regular increase. I don't think annual though, don't remember an increase last year. Ten bucks is the maximum increase, I'm subscribed to everything but the foreign language stuff.

Ohhh. After moving from WV to KS, I missed cable. I was getting everything. Digital cable, all premium and high speed internet for $100/mo from Adelphia. Cox was charging me almost $100 for basic cable and high speed internet. Now I have DirectTV and DSL. A little cheaper. I guess I'm trading some broadband speed 4M vs. 1.5M for Tivo on all TVs. Ohhh, and Sunday Ticket which keeps getting more and more expensive. :(

oddlycalm
02-01-07, 05:47 PM
A regular increase. I don't think annual though, don't remember an increase last year. Ten bucks is the maximum increase, I'm subscribed to everything but the foreign language stuff. Whether it's a cable or satellite company the story is the same; debt service. They blame fee increases from the various network providers, but that doesn't pass the giggle test. Premium service cable prices in this area have exactly doubled since 1994, and (big surprise) the steepest increases came with each new owner.

oc

Ankf00
02-01-07, 05:57 PM
Whether it's a cable or satellite company the story is the same; debt service. They blame fee increases from the various network providers, but that doesn't pass the giggle test. Premium service cable prices in this area have exactly doubled since 1994, and (big surprise) the steepest increases came with each new owner.

oc

life is good as a financial house these days.

rabbit
02-01-07, 06:12 PM
WTFW the comments on the YouTube link? Am I missing another internet cultural phenomenon?:confused:

YouTube comments are a cesspool of ignorance. I always feel like the principal in Billy Madison when I read them.

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

KLang
02-01-07, 06:32 PM
:laugh: I never noticed there was a comments section before.

Strange stuff.

rabbit
02-02-07, 02:58 AM
:laugh: I never noticed there was a comments section before.

Strange stuff.

A couple days ago I was reading some of the comments under one of the trailers for "300," which is based on Frank Miller's retelling of the Battle of Thermopylae. There was actually some decent discussion centered around the accuracy of Miller's version vs. Herodotus' accounts of the battle. After one guy posted a fairly detailed summary of the events, including the outcome, another guy got all pissy and said basically, "Thanks for ruining the ending! How 'bout a spoiler warning next time.!" I lost it. :rofl:

G.
02-02-07, 11:40 AM
A couple days ago I was reading some of the comments under one of the trailers for "300," which is based on Frank Miller's retelling of the Battle of Thermopylae. There was actually some decent discussion centered around the accuracy of Miller's version vs. Herodotus' accounts of the battle. After one guy posted a fairly detailed summary of the events, including the outcome, another guy got all pissy and said basically, "Thanks for ruining the ending! How 'bout a spoiler warning next time.!" I lost it. :rofl:

"Mr. rabbit, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

:laugh:

(/off to google the Battle of Thermoplastic...)

:gomer:

Ankf00
02-02-07, 11:43 AM
Sparta was the aggy of the Hellenistic world. :gomer:

KLang
02-02-07, 12:58 PM
Update from Sea Launch (http://www.sea-launch.com/news_releases/nr_070201.html)

A preliminary assessment of the Odyssey Launch Platform indicates that, while it has sustained limited damage, the integrity and functionality of essential marine, communications and crew support systems remains intact. The vessel is operating on its own power and is currently manned by the full marine crew.

Pretty tough vessel.

rabbit
02-03-07, 12:53 AM
"Mr. rabbit, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

:laugh:

(/off to google the Battle of Thermoplastic...)

:gomer:
:laugh: I was mostly laughing at the fact that the guy was wanting a "spoiler warning" for a movie about a battle that happened some 2,500 years ago.

Plus I'm a history geek. :tony: